• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Too hot m8s

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        35° here. Leaving little sweat puddles behind everywhere I sit. Maybe the Irish are just built with different sweat glands as everyone else seems grand.
        There's a miasma forming around me. I may need to wear shorts tomorrow as I have a serious case of SARS (sweaty arse). I don't want my colleagues to see my bared flesh, but it may be better than smelling me in this state.
        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

for those of ye complaining about your work environment and the heat spare a thought for our insulation installers who are in attics today...
          Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
            Tomorrow your last day or are you going to stick with this no meat regime ?
            I am sticking with it if I can. Have to admit I have spent a lot of the last month in a bit of a mind fog, not being able to think so well. Brain...needs...something...dead.

I am hoping my new bed and wonder mattress that BigMickey will no doubt furnish me with will address some of the sleep related aspects of my fogginess.

Comment

Originally posted by Macspower View Post
              for those of ye complaining about your work environment and the heat spare a thought for our insulation installers who are in attics today...
              Wouldn't mind a window in the office all the same
              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                You are sounding like Keane after Kerry stroll through a Munster Final

If what you are saying is as emphatically true as you are making it out then Westmeath must be favs for the final. The truth is that was an almost flawless Dublin performance.
                Your delusion on GAA is as strong as ever I see!

Cork were terrible in the Munster final last year. They brought no physicality and no defensive gameplan and got their bottoms badly spanked.

Go forward a month to the All Ireland quarter-final and they remedied those two issues and lost to Mayo by like a point.

The exact same was true of Kildare yesterday, albeit more understandably. While there was no particular reason for Cork to decide they weren't interested in last year's Munster final, Kildare's blatant lack of interest and effort can at least be explained by the fact that they didn't give themselves a prayer.

If you can watch that game back and find any signs of physical commitment from Kildare you'll be doing well. They didn't try a leg.

That's a problem for Dublin going ahead towards August/September time as they are bound to get some degree of culture shock when a ball one of them has gotten used to taking in at his leisure spins away off a big mucky Mayo hand and they remember what it's like to be in a bit of a scrap.

On the topic of the Munster final the bookies' line is two points which is pretty low considering HFA is worth like 1.5, but I'd say it could be an interesting game for a team whose two best players have managed a game and a half between them all year.

Comment

The Waterboys are playing Cork Opera House on Oct31, you can actually pick your own seats rather than them assigning you the worst in the house like ticketmaster usually do.
                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                    Do you reckon Sinn Fein are coming to the same conclusion? I imagine they are, judging by their silence. Alignment with Syriza would be toxic in the context of the next election.
                    I think Pearse Doherty has fuck all in common with his Syrzia counterpart in terms of competency and realism and was probably internally cringing at the party decision to embrace them PR wise when they were elected (though you may disagree).

I've been muttering to myself in company the couple of times their election and Greek situation were discussed. The country was utterly fucked when they got in; it's a small closed economy and their platform was not to bring about real structural change or efficiency. Any left leaning thinker with half a brain should have identified a doomed context for these guys and adjudged them politically toxic.

They are all noise and have been since they got in. Either make a deal with significant concessions or start preparing a default and new currency launch while negotiating hard ready to go the whole way. They've done neither.
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                      My walls are pretty much all made of glass, but of course some genius thought, windows? Who could possibly want one of them to open? It's just the shitty air more Than the heat that is annoying.

Comment

Great opportunity in Greece now for thieves muggers hotel staff. German and British govs have advised to bring as much cash as they need for the duration. Your about to become impoverished it was the foreigners who done it makes the tourists a juicey target.

Comment

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Question on the Euro with what's happening in Greece..

We go to Devon next week for a holiday. Everything is paid for a long time. The only thing to be done would change the Euro into Sterling. Now, with what is happening over in Greece will the rate change in my favour or against? I am currently thinking that the Euro will weaken and I will get even less Sterling for my euro?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post

We go to Devon next week for a holiday. Everything is paid for a long time. The only thing to be done would change the Euro into Sterling. Now, with what is happening over in Greece will the rate change in my favour or against? I am currently thinking that the Euro will weaken and I will get even less Sterling for my euro?
                              A lot less than normal
                              airport, lol

Comment

I don't think given the probable amount of money you would be exchanging that you would make a significant loss/gain either way.

If you are going to Devon to buy a house in cash, or a handful of Rolexes you might consider further.
                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                  I don't think given the probable amount of money you would be exchanging that you would make a significant loss/gain either way.

If you are going to Devon to buy a house in cash, or a handful of Rolexes you might consider further.
                                  You have no idea how much I am changing though

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                    I think Pearse Doherty has fuck all in common with his Syrzia counterpart in terms of competency and realism and was probably internally cringing at the party decision to embrace them PR wise when they were elected (though you may disagree).

I've been muttering to myself in company the couple of times their election and Greek situation were discussed. The country was utterly fucked when they got in; it's a small closed economy and their platform was not to bring about real structural change or efficiency. Any left leaning thinker with half a brain should have identified a doomed context for these guys and adjudged them politically toxic.

They are all noise and have been since they got in. Either make a deal with significant concessions or start preparing a default and new currency launch while negotiating hard ready to go the whole way. They've done neither.
                                    Poor Paul Murphy is organising a demo for support on Sat

Comment

Euro/Sterling hasn't moved much tbh. Euro/Dollar is back to where it was on Friday. 99% of the time it's not worth worrying about fx rates.
                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-06-15, 18:00.

Comment

Do you physically walk into a bank with a pile of Euros amd change them to Pounds? 1982 calling.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          Euro/Sterling hasn't moved much tbh. Euro/Dollar is back to where it was on Friday.
                                          I just assumed sterling was the same as I bought dollars last week and got fuck all. Shows me to be talking about stuff I haven't a clue about
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Well if you want a specific answer next time, include the amount you are changing in your post.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I just assumed sterling was the same as I bought dollars last week and got fuck all. Shows me to be talking about stuff I haven't a clue about
                                              The 1.30/1.40 days are long gone unfortunately!

Comment

I don't think he has much of a clue but he'd be streets ahead of Varoufuckit (not a high bar).

But embraced they are. Massive stick to beat SF with.

The problem is that ALL of our 'left leaning thinkers' (plus, bizarrely, Shane Ross) have placed themselves in the Syriza camp. It's manna from heaven for centrists.

All your comments on the state of Greece are entirely valid. The fact that nobody on the Left realised this just proves how in love with childish anti-everything sloganeering they are and how totally unsuited for any form of actual responsibility. Would you hire any of these guys to work for you?

hey are all noise and have been since they got in. Either make a deal with significant concessions or start preparing a default and new currency launch while negotiating hard ready to go the whole way. They've done neither.
                                                Yup. Pile of demagogic fuckwits who have set Greece back 10 years in 6 months.

Comment

Standard BBV stuff m8

Comment

Do you physically walk into a bank with a pile of Euros amd change them to Pounds? 1982 calling.
                                                    No lol

Comment

The fact that nobody on the Left realised this just proves how in love with childish anti-everything sloganeering they are and how totally unsuited for any form of actual responsibility. Would you hire any of these guys to work for you?
                                                      Most of the Irish left seem to think none of this is Greece's fault?

Comment

No lol
                                                        So what does it matter?

Comment

I don't think he has much of a clue but he'd be streets ahead of Varoufuckit (not a high bar).

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Comment

So what does it matter?
                                                            Enough gloom ashes bets please.
                                                            Root top english run scorer 11/4? playng great stuff in all formats.

Comment

Ref looking like a bluff that Europe has called, Greece giving up ground already.

Comment

Be careful what you wish for. Im having problems with glare. The glare is one thing but the heat is like sitting inside a stationary car on a hot day. Some makeshift cover so the place looks like a shanty town blocking out that sun
                                                                Actually only earlier today i got a quote for anti glare film for €350(why i took the pic to show them).

SPOILER
                                                                Last edited by rounders123; 30-06-15, 18:39.

Comment

High line in new York is an absolute must see.
                                                                  Honestly one of the best things I've ever seen in nyc
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                    Euro/Sterling hasn't moved much tbh. Euro/Dollar is back to where it was on Friday. 99% of the time it's not worth worrying about fx rates.
                                                                    I notice that POS devices have started offering people who are doing cross currency transactions if they want to settle in their own currency for a named amount or be charged in the local currency and leave your own bank to settle.
                                                                    The other day in Heathrow I was offered a price of €82.88 for a purchase I was making but Google said the rate was €77.5 I just checked there now and my bank charged me 78.20. Thats 4.50 the cunce were trying to screw me for

TL;DR;
                                                                    If you are asked to settle in € at a POS you will probably get a worse rate than you will if you let your own bank do the exchange.
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                      High line in new York is an absolute must see.
                                                                      Honestly one of the best things I've ever seen in nyc
                                                                      That came up recently on something i was watching, they turned it into a public garden.
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

I notice that POS devices have started offering people who are doing cross currency transactions if they want to settle in their own currency for a named amount or be charged in the local currency and leave your own bank to settle.
                                                                        The other day in Heathrow I was offered a price of €82.88 for a purchase I was making but Google said the rate was €77.5 I just checked there now and my bank charged me 78.20. Thats 4.50 the cunce were trying to screw me for

TL;DR;
                                                                        If you are asked to settle in € at a POS you will probably get a worse rate than you will if you let your own bank do the exchange.
                                                                        Its a golden rule for travelling anywhere. Always pay in the local currency and you get mastercard/visa/your bank's rate. If you pay any other way you are taking the card processors rate, which is a cert to be a bit rapey.
                                                                        Seen £90 of a difference on last holiday when both payment methods were compared. Check your card T&C's too, my debit card charges me £1.50 plus commision every time i use it in Ireland, credit card from same bank charges nothing. All those few quids add up.
                                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I know that no one should ever expect anyone from SF to tell the truth in any circumstances but Doherty was holding the Syrizia Fein line very strongly on the radio over the weekend. He sounded just as sincere and genuine as he does when he is spouting all his usual fantasy economics spending promises.

Comment

Is there a generic "that would be an ecumenical matter" comment I can launch into conversations re Greece. Obv want to avoid any follow up questions.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                All burgers are shite since the batterbuger was canned in me chipper.
                                                                                Still the ol spiceburger is still going strong despite the demise of Walshes
                                                                                our local Chipper Macaris burnt down Stephen's day a few years ago.... it re-opened about year ago and have to say they do the nicest smoked cod and chips.... and it is the cleanest chip shop I have ever been in...

anyway was checking the menu one day while bored and spotted a burger I didn't know...
                                                                                a Howie burger....

so I asked your the woman behind the counter... oh that's a batter burger in a bun...

yuck.... lol...
                                                                                Follow me in twitterland

Comment

...

Comment

All this talk about voting No to preserve Greek pride and a win for democracy and now there are tails between legs it seems.

What a clusterfuck.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                      Its a golden rule for travelling anywhere. Always pay in the local currency and you get mastercard/visa/your bank's rate. If you pay any other way you are taking the card processors rate, which is a cert to be a bit rapey.
                                                                                      Seen £90 of a difference on last holiday when both payment methods were compared. Check your card T&C's too, my debit card charges me £1.50 plus commision every time i use it in Ireland, credit card from same bank charges nothing. All those few quids add up.
                                                                                      Is it new to be offered the rate at a POS? I'd never seen it before and I saw it being offered to someone in Dublin at the weekend.

We implemented a similar thing for ATM's in the Pacific recently, punters there are made click a confirmation screen if they don't want to accept the rate from the ATM, It starts out as a regulatory requirement to give the punter all the pertinent info but presented correctly it works as a nice earner for the bank

Comment

Looks like the Yes rally in Athens has attracted a much bigger crowd than last nights No rally.
                                                                                        Might be closer than the early predictions.

Comment

Is it new to be offered the rate at a POS? I'd never seen it before and I saw it being offered to someone in Dublin at the weekend.
                                                                                          Has been standard in the US for the last few years anyway

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                            That came up recently on something i was watching, they turned it into a public garden.
                                                                                            Its honestly brilliant.
                                                                                            An old elevated rail system turned into a city centre garden/park
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                              Enough gloom ashes bets please.
                                                                                              Root top english run scorer 11/4? playng great stuff in all formats.
                                                                                              I don't give England much of a chance (just don't see them bowling Aus out twice) and Australia are unbackable.

Backing Bell at 12/1 to be top batsman. He is still the classiest England batsman and will get plenty of opportunity to show it. Root is overrated imo

Comment

So what does it matter?
                                                                                                I don't want to get hit with a charge every time I want to use my card in the UK and like to have sterling cash on me. I don't physically go in with a pile of cash though. I hand over my card and ask for sterling!

I actually spoke with someone from AIB and he said to me loads of people have been getting sterling ahead of their trips as they do expect the rate to plummet and he said getting sterling now is not too bad an idea.

I don't have a credit card and do not wish to get one and will just be using my normal UB or AIB accounts as per normal. I have noticed over the years the amount I have paid in bank charges is much higher when I just get money as and when. I normally exchange sterling when I am going home to visit the family and I set myself a budget and change that over. Stops gross overspending

Comment

Do any Irish banks do a travel card that allows you to transfer euros to a bunch of different rates online? I have one with commonwealth bank in Australia but be handy to have 1 here.

Comment

I actually spoke with someone from AIB and he said to me loads of people have been getting sterling ahead of their trips as they do expect the rate to plummet and he said getting sterling now is not too bad an idea.
                                                                                                    someone who has a vested interest in telling you to change currency told you to change currency

that's suprising

Comment

We implemented a similar thing for ATM's in the Pacific recently, punters there are made click a confirmation screen if they don't want to accept the rate from the ATM, It starts out as a regulatory requirement to give the punter all the pertinent info but presented correctly it works as a nice earner for the bank
                                                                                                      I have seen it over in Scotland a good while. But I will sure bare in mind not to accept the rate offered!

I have also seen it in the North when I do a bit of shopping, the card machine asks if I want to accept the euro amount or let the charge go through in Sterling and let the bank do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                        All this talk about voting No to preserve Greek pride and a win for democracy and now there are tails between legs it seems.

What a clusterfuck.
                                                                                                        They are literally making it up as they go along

Maybe this focussed their attention. Not the kind of club you want to be in.

Comment

someone who has a vested interest in telling you to change currency told you to change currency

that's suprising
                                                                                                          Surely they benefit more from the charges though?

Comment

I don't give England much of a chance (just don't see them bowling Aus out twice) and Australia are unbackable.

Backing Bell at 12/1 to be top batsman. He is still the classiest England batsman and will get plenty of opportunity to show it. Root is overrated imo
                                                                                                            Is that 12/1 including the aussies?
                                                                                                            Hes 5/1 to be top english batsman.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                                              Is that 12/1 including the aussies?
                                                                                                              Hes 5/1 to be top english batsman.
                                                                                                              yeah, the two teams

thinking being that he will get to play more innings than the Aussies

Comment

It's unreal - Its seems like Tsipras and his cabinet were planning to get it to this stage, seems like the #democracy social media campaign and referendum were smoke and mirrors and they hoped Europe would buckle and bend to their demands but now that Merkel is calling bullshit they have this hastily thrown together third bailout option - and are announcing that the referendum may not happen.

or else it just snowballed and got away from them.

lol giving them too much credit.

"#greece in eurogroup teleconference @yanisvaroufakis tried to trade debt relief for referendum. got nowhere https://twitter.com/StefanLeifert/st...51781177225216 …"

Either way... jesus.
                                                                                                                Last edited by Theresa; 30-06-15, 20:39.

Comment

...

Comment

What are Sudan doing on that list? Khartoum is rotten with money these days!

Maybe its South Sudan or is it something to do with them having been put on the axis of evil list

Comment

Djisselbloem confirms Greece in default. They're fucked.

That bank holiday this week will become permanent until they print enough worthless Drachmas.

Comment

What are Sudan doing on that list? Khartoum is rotten with money these days!
                                                                                                                        I think your man (Bashir?) had the money resting in his (Swiss private) account

Comment

Interesting how history is made in the modern age. Real-time history!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X