X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post

SPOILER

Comment

Someone let me know when I can buy a house in Santorini for the earlier quoted figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Actually in terms of Irish political betting, this market might be worth a second look:

the SF line is currently 28.5

with multiple bodies being pulled out of bogs and their pals in Greece commiting hari-kari (and thus kindly exposing just how dangerous Syriza Fein's economic illiteracy is for us here), the Unders are looking pretty damn attractive
        You'd hope so but no one ever went broke under estimating the stupidity of the general public. With Sinn Fein being so adept at downright lying and rewriting history they will be spinning the reality of life in Greece into something that Michael Noonan has created and would want for us too
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

More this plays out the more I'm worried that these lads are really taking a run at starting another Communist state...

Διάγγελμα του Πρωθυπουργού Αλέξη Τσίπρα: «Μόνος μας φόβος είναι ο φόβος» (Μέγαρο Μαξίμου, 28 Ιουνίου 2015)

This habit of sticking 'democratic' into sentences to try to give them some form of justification is familiar.
          Last edited by Emmet; 28-06-15, 21:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
            More this plays out the more I'm worried that these lads are really taking a run at starting another Communist state...
            Can someone be actually kicked out of the EU in general rather than just the Eurozone if this continues to spiral out of control and they refuse to take any sort of deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
              Kildare were awful. Not just bad but awful.

You are sounding like Keane after Kerry stroll through a Munster Final

If what you are saying is as emphatically true as you are making it out then Westmeath must be favs for the final. The truth is that was an almost flawless Dublin performance.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

for those with kids, that Clara Lara spot in Wickla would be hard to beat on a nice day

kids are fucked after
                Squirrel scramble in kilruddery house is good spot for a few hours if your kids are anyway into climbing, you can join in the fun there too.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                  Can someone be actually kicked out of the EU in general rather than just the Eurozone if this continues to spiral out of control and they refuse to take any sort of deal?
                  This guy seems to know his EU stuff.
                  Originally posted by marmurr1916
                  No. There's nothing in the EU treaties that allow for the expulsion of a member.

Any EU country can withdraw from the EU when it chooses but none can be kicked out.

EU countries that flout EU law can be sanctioned though and those sanctions can include having their voting rights in EU institutions (e.g. the European Council and the Council of Ministers) withdrawn, along with the withholding of EU funding (e.g. CAP funds for farmers) and fines.

Substituting the euro for another currency once you've already adopted the euro would be very likely to be considered as the type of breach of EU law that warrants the imposition of the type of sanctions outlined above.

And then there's the matter of Greek law. EU law is valid within Greece. If the Greek government breaches EU law it can also be held to account by the Greek courts.

Imagine if you had €10,000 in a Greek bank and the Greek government introduced a new currency, while still remaining in the EU which initially had an exchange rate of €1 to 1 Nea Drachma. At first, you'd be no worse off as your account would still have the equivalent of €10,000 in it. But what happens when the Nea Drachma loses 50% of its value against the euro? Now your 10,000 Nea Drachma are worth only €5,000. Now you can sue the Greek government for the loss you've incurred as a result of their breach of EU law.

If Greece leaves the EU and introduces a new currency there's nothing you can do because obviously a country that's not in the EU isn't subject to EU law.

The only way for a country to avoid being subject to EU law is to leave the EU.

The only way for Greece to abandon the euro for a new currency without being sued by all and sundry is to leave the EU.
                  Because the EU treaties (the EU's basic law) says that euro membership is 'irrevocable'.

Greece can't simply ignore EU law and remain a member of the EU - at least not without consequences.
                  Not once it's already joined the euro, not while remaining in the EU, not unless it wants to be sued in its own courts for billions.

The EU treaties say that euro membership is irrevocable. EU countries can't breach EU law without consequences.
                  Last edited by Emmet; 28-06-15, 21:31.

Comment

meh, Euro banks should take a hit but apart from that I don't see much happening

Soros taking down Sterling...now that was a mad day
                    Dax being called to open down 5%.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      Dax being called to open down 5%.
                      All in a day's work for the last week or two. Some pretty big moves day on day no? (Probably not so large outside of trading though!)

some excitement here

Discover real-time streaming rates in our comprehensive stock futures table, covering global futures markets, including US stock futures.
                      Last edited by Emmet; 28-06-15, 22:44.

Comment

I have provisionally made a remarkably un-me-like decision to drive to BigMickeys in Longford on Friday to buy a bed. Apparently a lovely and knowledgeable guy, and I am confused by the complexity of mattresses.

I had to Google for where Longford is.

Comment

No matter what your view on the Greece situation surely we can all agree that the posturing and lectures from the likes of Enda Kenny and Noonan on the situation is fucking embarrassing.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            If what you are saying is as emphatically true as you are making it out then Westmeath must be favs for the final. The truth is that was an almost flawless Dublin performance.
                            It's easy to be flawless when nobody is coming anywhere near you. Bar a 10 min spell at the start of the 2nd half Kildare never put it up to Dublin. I'm not suggesting Dublin weren't very good but Kildare were equally quite poor.

And Westmeath will start as minimum 40/1 dogs against Dublin - which is about right.
                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Anyone watching the Chemical Brothers on BBC3? WOW. The light show is fucking incredible!

Opr

Comment

for those with kids, that Clara Lara spot in Wickla would be hard to beat on a nice day

kids are fucked after
                                for you and Zuutroy (not for me, mine's an angel :-))
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                  No matter what your view on the Greece situation surely we can all agree that the posturing and lectures from the likes of Enda Kenny and Noonan on the situation is fucking embarrassing.
                                  Enda Kenny saying we didnt raise taxes or vat.
                                  We only owe 181 billion.
                                  Still borrowing to keep public servants and our generous welfare system going.
                                  Were doing so well that prick Howlin is going to give them pay rises.
                                  A Fianna Fail concillor called to my house last thursday Jack Chambers hes a college grad medicine i think.
                                  Told him anyone who stands for fianna fail should be ashamed and should probably kill themselves hopefully he wont call again.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                    Anyone watching the Chemical Brothers on BBC3? WOW. The light show is fucking incredible!

Opr
                                    Cheers for the heads up dude.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

kids are fucked after
                                      Loved that back in the school trip days but later learned the guy who owns that is on the sex offender register .2 Hopefully its new management these days.
                                      Last edited by rounders123; 28-06-15, 22:13.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                        I have provisionally made a remarkably un-me-like decision to drive to BigMickeys in Longford on Friday to buy a bed. Apparently a lovely and knowledgeable guy, and I am confused by the complexity of mattresses.

Why so far?
                                        Pop around to Mattress Mick on Pearce st, tell him I sent you.
                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Choosing a new mattress and bed is as bad as choosing new health insurance.

I swear it is +EV to be dumb in a world of such consumer complexity. A bit of "I've heard X is good so I'm going for that!" is needed for one's sanity.

Just go to Ikea and do a Goldilocks on all their mattresses? (Have 3 months testing to exchange for another also)

Comment

kids are fucked after
                                            Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                            Loved that back in the school trip days but later learned the guy who owns that is on the sex offender register .2 Hopefully its new management these days.
                                            I hope RD3 just meant his kids were tired
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                              Cheers for the heads up dude.
                                              Some set, they always hold back that kind of mind blowing show for the really big slots at festivals. Loads of people will buy tickets for the Sunday of Longitude on the back of watching that but it won't have a tenth of the production that show had tonight.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                Someone let me know when I can buy a house in Santorini for the earlier quoted figures.
                                                Would you not be a little bit worried that private property may no longer exist there next week?

Daily withdrawal limit of €60 to be imposed on bank machines on Tuesday
                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

...Ouch Paul Casey, not a good time to hit that bunker shot...

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                    A Fianna Fail concillor called to my house last thursday Jack Chambers hes a college grad medicine i think.
                                                    Told him anyone who stands for fianna fail should be ashamed and should probably kill themselves hopefully he wont call again.
                                                    Chambers has got the gig to stand in the General Election. David McGuinness has left the party because of it. Its very shabby by FF (hardly a shock I suppose) as DMcG got them fairly incredible results in the 2 byelections in Dub West in this Dail, second both times and getting a higher first pref% than Brian Lenihan.
                                                    I guess they think there'll be 2 seats from the poor side of the constituency and 2 seats from the posh side (one for DrLeo obviously) and that having someone from the posh side gives them their best chance rather than DMcG from lowly Corduff.

It's got a bit nasty since he left as they looked for a 5figure sum of money back from him for money spent on his byelections/council election campaigns and constituency offices etc, he has told them to go swing by all accounts.

Comment

Get him to show you his Harrison range.

Bring a shitload of cash.

Never leave your awesome new bed again.
                                                      Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                      I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                      None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Went for a little road trip tonight and just got an XL Bacon double cheeseburger meal on the way home. This was to balance things out after Rigger got a regular bacon double cheeseburger last night. There is never a reason to not go XL with that burger you pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                          Went for a little road trip tonight and just got an XL Bacon double cheeseburger meal on the way home. This was to balance things out after Rigger got a regular bacon double cheeseburger last night. There is never a reason to not go XL with that burger you pussy.
                                                          Well said m8.

It is the king of burgers.

Comment

Anyone done or is doing the 30 day plank challange? Only on day 3 myself, but it's fun/tough.
                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                              Well said m8.

Ta m8.

King of burgers indeed. Don't know what rigger was thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                Anyone done or is doing the 30 day plank challange? Only on day 3 myself, but it's fun/tough.
                                                                No but I just had a quick look there and it looks good. My record is about 160 seconds so might start the challenge tomorrow because I'm getting my new 6 week program from my PT tomorrow too. Couldn't imagine doing 5 minutes so would love to see if I'd get near it.

Comment

Ta m8.

King of burgers indeed. Don't know what rigger was thinking.
                                                                  He is auld now. Too much red meat and he won't poop for a week.

Comment

Well said m8.

It's not even the best BK burger.
                                                                    Double Whopper with Cheese FTW.
                                                                    Smokey Bacon Burger from Supermacs is the obv winner, you dont get bacon, you get an honest to goodness rasher
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                      Smokey Bacon Burger from Supermacs is the obv winner, you dont get bacon, you get an honest to goodness rasher
                                                                      The first part of this is wrong. The XL is by far the best bk burger.

The second part shall be tested tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                        Does that still exist? I remember being there as a kid...seemed like a massive insurance case waiting to happen.
                                                                        My one and only memory of the place is seeing some kid getting helicopter lifted out of the place with a suspected broken back.
                                                                        Was good craic all the same.

Comment

It's a game of opinions the burger world m8

Comment

Trying to be less of a fat cunce. Made for it tonight, fat homemade burgers, put two innof them, salsa, drop of lettuce, cheese, rasher, parmesan cheese

Well said m8.

It does a job but its far from king.
                                                                            planking can kill stay safe.
                                                                            That was a poor burger imo. Confirmed my fears that suppermacs is muck. Good conversation though.

Had a seriously tasty burger in a place across from dun laoire peer. called The Real Gormet Burger Kitchen. Dunno if that means they have some beef with GBK.

Tasty fancy cunce type burgers, it was class.

Planning on giving bunsen soon.
                                                                            Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 29-06-15, 02:25.

Comment

Of comparing fast food type places, eddie's jalapeño popper gets an honourable nod.
                                                                              Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 29-06-15, 03:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                Of comparing fast food type places, jalapeño popper gets an honourable nod.
                                                                                And jo's burgers. Seriously good.
                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Think it's obvious that a default and new currency is the best option for Greece. Five years of extreme pain but it would probably force the type of extreme change their society requires.

Nations have defaulted before and will again.
                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Is any where still offering odds on the greek vote? ladbrokes had it up but seem to have pulled it.
                                                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 29-06-15, 06:43.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                      Think it's obvious that a default and new currency is the best option for Greece. Five years of extreme pain but it would probably force the type of extreme change their society requires.
                                                                                      Interestingly, Greeks consistently poll at 70%+ for staying in the Eurozone. They just don't want the responsibility. It'll be another Albania within your five years.
                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                        Some set, they always hold back that kind of mind blowing show for the really big slots at festivals. Loads of people will buy tickets for the Sunday of Longitude on the back of watching that but it won't have a tenth of the production that show had tonight.

Opr
                                                                                        Yeah, it was incredible. So jealous of that crowd last night. When the two big robots came out I was thinking 'lasers shooting out of their eyes would be cool', then bam. lol

I'd guess you're spot on about the production to be expected at Marlay pk, it would still be a stomper though I'd say.
                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Interestingly, Greeks consistently poll at 70%+ for staying in the Eurozone. They just don't want the responsibility. It'll be another Albania within your five years.

Bottom right is the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Bottom right is the winner.

Key quote

Most polls show a clear majority of Greeks want to stay in the euro, though they do not want additional austerity demanded by creditors as the price for continued membership in the bloc
                                                                                            Free money -yes
                                                                                            Responsibility - no

Comment

...
                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...50622?irpc=932

Key quote

Free money -yes
                                                                                                Responsibility - no
                                                                                                I don't understand what this has to do with "democracy", you can't vote to keep getting money from Europe with no strings attached.

Comment

Heard on the news this morning that Chinese Stock market has fallen 25% in the last two weeks - any of the finance gurus have a view on this, or whether it will have any impact on this side of the world?

Comment

[QUOTE=Hitchhiker's Guide To...;905636]I am Spartacus!

Well done on the Greeks for the entertainment. Must suck to be Greek though. It's like as if the Irish nation had listened to all those economists going 'fck the eu, fck the ecb, can't pay won't pay' back in the day, instead of having a moment's reflection and thinking 'hmm, maybe this could backfire'./QUOTE]

This is totally different to the bizarre decision to absorb all of Anglo's debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                      I am Spartacus!

Well done on the Greeks for the entertainment. Must suck to be Greek though. It's like as if the Irish nation had listened to all those economists going 'fck the eu, fck the ecb, can't pay won't pay' back in the day, instead of having a moment's reflection and thinking 'hmm, maybe this could backfire'.

.....
                                                                                                      Revising history very quickly, no? "All those economists", bar maybe one (kelly) or two were going 'All good here', 'soft landing', 'its the celtic tiger innit'.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                No, I mean after the shit had hit the fan and everyone was going that we shouldn't be paying the German bondholders because its 'not our debt'.
                                                                                                                Realistically. That's still absolutely true!

Greeks absolutely cannot make the same claims though. Their debt pile is wholly theirs as a nation, they never claimed any bank's liabilities as their own. They just spent and spent and spent.

Last edited by Emmet; 29-06-15, 08:21.

Comment

Is any where still offering odds on the greek vote? ladbrokes had it up but seem to have pulled it.
                                                                                                                  Can't find any markets no.

Would you be way out of line vs The Economist?

Access the latest political and electoral analysis for Greece's government from The Economist Intelligence Unit

No - 60%
                                                                                                                  Yes - 23/20%
                                                                                                                  Referendum no happening - 10/20%

---

Though polls suggest otherwise
                                                                                                                  In the poll by Alco for the Proto Thema paper, 57 percent said they believed Greece should make a deal, compared to 29 percent against. A Kapa Research poll for To Vima newspaper found that 47.2 percent in favour, compared to 33 percent against and 18.4 percent undecided.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 29-06-15, 08:33.

Comment

I don't understand what this has to do with "democracy", you can't vote to keep getting money from Europe with no strings attached.
                                                                                                                    It's just Tsiphillis seeking a political fig leaf tbf. Because none of the governments of the other 18 EZ members were democratically elected.

The silence from SF here is notable. An 'ohhhhhhh fuck' moment.

Comment

Basically nobody likes owning up to mistakes and when there are nasty furreners (so much the better if they are humourless Teutonic types) to blame, unload the blame-cannon with both barrels.

It is fairly astounding nonetheless how Syriza have managed to do the hitherto impossible and unify the rest of Europe. Impressive stuff.

Comment

It is fairly astounding nonetheless how Syriza have managed to do the hitherto impossible and unify the rest of Europe. Impressive stuff.
                                                                                                                        Get ready for the Illuminati references in that Tsipras and Varoufakis were plants by the Lizard people and Angela Merkel in order to commit hari-kari, jettisoning the dead-weight in an attempt to bind the eurozone together in order to fool us all into believing that the European Federation is a great idea and to submit to their power.

Comment

Is that the one that builds to 300 seconds or the one that has spider planks and side planks etc? Might try a bit of it but my core is bad.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X