X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
    MAJOR THURSDAY
    Played 18 holes last night. Got to work at 6am so I can leave at 3.

Letsgogolfgolfgolf

Comment

So out of hospital since yesterday and staying in my homeplace in north Westmeath for a few weeks. All going well but one problem I discover is that I need a harder mattress than the one I have, as soft mattresses are bad for rehabilitation. So I google for furniture/bedding stores in the closest town (Mullingar) expecting to get a few hits, which I do, except that every hit is just a Golden Pages or Yelp or some other bullshit link with an address and phone number for each store. WTF! How is it possible that in 2015 a business - any business - doesn't have its own webpage. I think I've time-warped back to the late '90s. If I turn on the TV I'm expecing to see the Bill Clinton impeachment trial agin or mass hysteria over the Titanic movie or Anna Kournikova playing Wimbledon (the latter would be acceptable, obv). But honestly, wtf! Get your shit together, rural Ireland.

On the plus side, I am staying in a really beautiful part of Ireland for a few weeks, after being in various Irish cities since '98 during the summer. It's easy to forget how beautiful this country is. Does my heart good just to be here, tbh [/sentimentality].
      Last edited by DMMurray; 18-06-15, 09:58.

Comment

Decided to do a few bets:

Mickelson ftw
        Rose ftw
        Matsuyama ftw

and in the burning money category:

Tiger first round lead at 100/1
        Tiger Top 5 at 25/1

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Letsgogolfgolfgolf
          With the week that's in it, it would be foolish in the extreme not to back Ryan Moore to win this. Availed at 80/1.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Lowry Top 10 for me

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
              Question re Scuba. Did a SSI course 7 or 8 years ago and cant find my licence. Did a couple of dives out in the reef in Australia but had to do beginner dives again.
              Basically I want to switch from SSI to PADI or even do a refresher to get a hold of a licence.
              Plan to do a bit out in Egypt and elsewhere over the next few years and don't want them to go unlogged.
              I was just looking into PADI Open Water courses yesterday. How long does that accreditation last? Would just be interested in doing it so I can do dives on holidays in the future and not be restricted to completely beginner options.
              Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-06-15, 09:57.

Comment

Looking to buy an unlocked phone - 1+1 the way to go or other similarly priced recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  I was just looking into PADI Open Water courses yesterday. How long does that accreditation last? Would just be interested in doing it so I can do dives on holidays in the future and not be restricted to completely beginner options.
                  I did mine for 1/5th of the price in the beautiful waters of Thailand.
                  AFAIK it lasts forever and its advised you do a refresher course if you have not dived in 3-5 years. Again not 100%.

But as mentioned I did SSI instead of PADI to save 50 bucks as a broke backpacker, regret that now. PADI seems to be a lot more recognized worldwide form my experience. I was very restricted on the great barrier reef as I didn't have my licence on me and was told if I had PADI they could of searched me on their database.

Hopefully Mocata or someone can enlighten us more.

Comment

Letsgogolfgolfgolf
                    My boss doesnt play golf, probably never has and hates it. However he is currently with a potential customer for my product in the US playing a fourball in 40C heat. How it is playing out is hilarious in my mind, he must be destroying that course with divets raining sweat down and burning like a crisp.

Comment

Taking tomorrow off. Captains prize followed by Aquarium Sat night. Fathers day lie in. Mrs packed off to her mothers and Epic Sunday night golf.
                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Question re Scuba. Did a SSI course 7 or 8 years ago and cant find my licence. Did a couple of dives out in the reef in Australia but had to do beginner dives again.
                        Basically I want to switch from SSI to PADI or even do a refresher to get a hold of a licence.
                        Plan to do a bit out in Egypt and elsewhere over the next few years and don't want them to go unlogged.
                        Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        I did mine for 1/5th of the price in the beautiful waters of Thailand.
                        AFAIK it lasts forever and its advised you do a refresher course if you have not dived in 3-5 years. Again not 100%.

But as mentioned I did SSI instead of PADI to save 50 bucks as a broke backpacker, regret that now. PADI seems to be a lot more recognized worldwide form my experience. I was very restricted on the great barrier reef as I didn't have my licence on me and was told if I had PADI they could of searched me on their database.

Hopefully Mocata or someone can enlighten us more.
                        From a beginners point of view, PADI is the way to go. Can do the pool and theory sessions up in NAC in Blanch for c300-400 euro, then when you go to somewhere exotic you can go straight to the ocean bit and get your card whilst doing fab dives.
                        Dont want to be sitting on a beach reading doing homework if you can avoid it.

GF did hers with http://www.oceandivers.ie/prices.html

I was impressed with how they did things, start off in a shallow pool, get comfortable with skills then move into a 6m deep pool when you are happy to do so.
                        When we went to Malta, she did 4 dives with the dive centre, they signed her off, then she joined rest of group for another 3 days diving.

SSI would be happy to email you confirmation of your qualification i bet, BSAC did that for me and it was acceptable everywhere round world.
                        Every decent dive operation will want to see you dive anyway at least once before letting you do anything remotely above beginner level. You can see even from how someone kits up how competent they are sometimes. The first card you get allows you to dive to 20m in reasonably safe sea conditions. TBH that will let you do 90% of the best dives in the world. If you dont dive for 10 yrs, you will just be asked to demonstrate skills again, then taken on a shallow 6m dive to practice them, then its full steam ahead again.

I would definitely recommend it, something yoga-like about it floating weightless and observing a different world and creatures going about their activities. Its similar in some ways to learning to drive, pain in the hole to start and a lot of stress and stuff to absorb. Fast forward 6 months and you wonder how you ever did without it. Its like a whole new set of countries are opened up for you to explore.
                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by DMMurray View Post
                          So out of hospital since yesterday and staying in my homeplace in north Westmeath for a few weeks. All going well but one problem I discover is that I need a harder mattress than the one I have, as soft mattresses are bad for rehabilitation. So I google for furniture/bedding stores in the closest town (Mullingar) expecting to get a few hits, which I do, except that every hit is just a Golden Pages or Yelp or some other bullshit link with an address and phone number for each store. WTF! How is it possible that in 2015 a business - any business - doesn't have its own webpage. I think I've time-warped back to the late '90s. If I turn on the TV I'm expecing to see the Bill Clinton impeachment trial agin or mass hysteria over the Titanic movie or Anna Kournikova playing Wimbledon (the latter would be acceptable, obv). But honestly, wtf! Get your shit together, rural Ireland.

On the plus side, I am staying in a really beautiful part of Ireland for a few weeks, after being in various Irish cities since '98 during the summer. It's easy to forget how beautiful this country is. Does my heart good just to be here, tbh [/sentimentality].
                          Haha, its all about the old school B+M experience in Mullingar. Even to get a shop to pick up the phone is a job in itself. Shaws or Bruntons would be your best bet for a local furniture/bedding shop. Otherwise Harry Corry in lakepoint would do the job.

Junior c'ship vs Delvin tonight at 7.30 in the Wood if you're at a loose end. Might make my comeback - nearly 2 months out with a smashed knuckle (tyvm Southern Gaels). The U14 team is getting their gear tonight too and we're heading up to Antrim tomorrow. Not looking forward to 30 screaming kids and a 4 hour bus journey

Comment

Did my PADI in Vietnam, could not recommend it enough. Really professional and apart from the obvious bonus of being able to five when on holidays etc, nice to actually feel confident that you have been trained to know what to do just incase of emergency.

Thought we were the bees knees then and did a night dive in pretty rough seas which was a genuinely fucking terrifying experience mainly as the guys who brought us out were absolute cowboys. Put me off diving to tell the truth but lately have a hankering to get into it again.

Comment

Ireland about to play China in a penalty shoot-out in Womens hockey QF. 1-0 China for most of the game, Ireland get it back to 1-1 and then have a goal disallowed (controversially) for the win.

Week-day day-time sports is so novel and satisfying.

Edit: Ireland out 4-3. Had two chances to win it. Really gotta feel for for the team there.
                              Last edited by DMMurray; 18-06-15, 11:34.

Comment

Cheers for the info - I've emailed the hotel i did it with so hopefully I get something back.

It really is surreal. Its a complete different world down there. Amazing when you reach the sea floor at about 18m and just look up to see thousands of colorful fish.

Comment

either.

Go Roam lets you call, text, and use your data in 71 destinations around the world. It’s made up of two parts - Go Roam in Europe and Go Roam Around the World.

Get the all-you-can-eat data one

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Voice_Pay_As_You_Go
                                  Any handy way to get a 3 UK sim over here.
                                  Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                  I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                  None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 18-06-15, 13:11.
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                        I'd say that Mo Farah story is just the start of decimating UK Olympics performance. Now on to the cycling team...
                                        millions spent on bike development to win medals in a sport only about 5 other countries take seriously at Olympic(track) level

Formula one for the Dutch!

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                          millions spent on bike development to win medals in a sport only about 5 other countries take seriously at Olympic(track) level
                                          In fairness if you have a big sports budget from the lottery and have decided to target Olympic medals then it does make sense to go for soft targets. No point spending the millions on volleyball when theres only two medals at stake and too many countries already better than you at it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                            In fairness if you have a big sports budget from the lottery and have decided to target Olympic medals then it does make sense to go for soft targets. No point spending the millions on volleyball when theres only two medals at stake and too many countries already better than you at it.
                                            Ya but part of the remit was sport for all was supposed to come from it.

Now I give you that the success of the bike team has lead to a lot of bikes being sold so maybe it has been the only success but... it's hardly the Olympian spirit darling

+At the end of the day it has just put another level of elitism into British sport

p.s. Engerlish getting uppidy about bike success at the time was funny when they gave it the "what have ye done" bit.

Have ya heard of Kelly or Roach?
                                            Cause your cyclists have

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                              Any handy way to get a 3 UK sim over here.
                                              Assuming by here you mean Ireland. A trip up to Newry is your only way really. Also if anyone is picking up a 3UK sim you can't top up by card online unless it's a UK card so you have to buy the credit in the North/UK or get someone who's based there to do it for you. The all add on for unlimited data when roaming is £15 for 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                What's Another Year playing in background during lunch in Nijmegen. How did we ever The Logan go?
                                                It's closed now but the Sheraton hotel in Muscat, Oman would always have a selection of the purest country'n Irish tunes playing on their pa. One of the most bizarre experiences to walk into the hotel from 48C heat to hear Brendan Shine singing do you want your oul lobby washed down!
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I should be better at this really...

I've just put £10 instead of 10p on a 140,000/1 accumulator.

Oops

Comment

quids in
                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Might start a Buy A Piece thread.

Comment

The DREAM is already over

Comment

The DREAM is already over
                                                          What was the actual bet?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                            What was the actual bet?
                                                            GAB's 4 horses from tipping thread & Lowry EW this weekend.

Comment

Does anyone have, or know anybody, with a Body and Soul ticket to sell please?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                Does anyone have, or know anybody, with a Body and Soul ticket to sell please?
                                                                Best of luck. Join the group ticket drop on fb and be ready to jump on one when it's posted
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                  Best of luck. Join the group ticket drop on fb and be ready to jump on one when it's posted
                                                                  theres a ticket drop? Link please

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                    theres a ticket drop? Link please
                                                                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/527885154014589/

There's more people asking for body and soul tickets than selling you'll need to be quick if one is posted. You will also need to be accepted
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

There were loads on toutless a week or two ago, all gone now?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                        There were loads on toutless a week or two ago, all gone now?
                                                                        Imagine so judging by the numbers looking on that group. With the weather looking decent they went quick I'd say
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Let's hope monty makes the cut so we don't have to listen to him commentating later in the weekend
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

WTF is this Monty hate, hes a class act to listen to i think!.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                              He's a gobshite. Just talks with no sense. He once said " Rory Mcilroy is the best player on this course he's unlucky enough to have come up against the only player better than him" or something to that effect.

Cheers Monty
                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

The smugness does it for me.

Comment

The smugness does it for me.
                                                                                  Thats the thing its not smugness, that is his natural countenance. Like he never won a major and carries that cross with equal 'smugness' if you like.

Comment

Wp

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                      front page of The Star tomorrow is pretty tasteless, imo.
                                                                                      JOURNALISTS working for the Daily Star have announced their plans for the third and fourth quarter of 2015, which basically revolves around them festering in a pit full of their own faeces while mashing their …
                                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Thats the thing its not smugness, that is his natural countenance. Like he never won a major and carries that cross with equal 'smugness' if you like.
                                                                                        I find the opposite though regarding his lack of majors - even though he never won any I find he still often talks like he was the greatest gift ever to golf. Perhaps smugness is the wrong word though. Arrogance? Even today he claimed he was speaking for 150 players when speaking about the uncertainty of how the course would play out. It's statements like that make me dislike him.

Comment

Monty is Scottish. Thought he was amazing. Became bitterer over the years.

Perfect recipe for a cunt.

Comment

I find the opposite though regarding his lack of majors - even though he never won any I find he still often talks like he was the greatest gift ever to golf. Perhaps smugness is the wrong word though. Arrogance? Even today he claimed he was speaking for 150 players when speaking about the uncertainty of how the course would play out. It's statements like that make me dislike him.
                                                                                            Fair enough, but its not something he has turned into. I remember when he was winning the first of his european tour titles when europeans played in europe and Feherty was still pretty much the only european to try to strike out on the US tour and he was the very same. He does have that just quaffing a good wine or steak turn but i think its misunderstood. I dont think he thinks hes better than anyone.

Comment

I think Monty just lost the run of himself after he capt the Ryder cup victory. Kinda implied himself a lot of the credit for it , which is fair enough, but going on and on about it as we watch the majors unfold does grate. Anyhoo I need him to finish top 6 at 500 to 1

Rounders is a softee.

Comment

going to a mediocre indian and chinese place tonight, two separate restaurants bu you can order from either.
                                                                                                The food is standard enough fare but seen as top class here except for one thing... the chips the chinese do Oh man! they are ridic good

Probably a zillion calories per portion - they are the crispiest chips ever they come soaked in a decently hot not too sweet schezaun sauce
                                                                                                Amazing. I don't know how they do it but I think they are actually battered chips because one of the lads has had them delivered to the hotel, miles from the restaurant and they were still crispy when they got here.
                                                                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 18-06-15, 19:36.
                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Solskjaer View Post
                                                                                                  I think Monty just lost the run of himself after he capt the Ryder cup victory. Kinda implied himself a lot of the credit for it , which is fair enough, but going on and on about it as we watch the majors unfold does grate. Anyhoo I need him to finish top 6 at 500 to 1

Rounders is a softee.
                                                                                                  I still have fond memories of how drunk he got after that win. He was completely shitfaced and they just kept putting him back on the telly all night. Top quality entertainment.
                                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                    going to a mediocre indian and chinese place tonight, two separate restaurants bu you can order from either.
                                                                                                    The food is standard enough fare but seen as top class here except for one thing... the chips the chinese do Oh man! they are ridic good

Probably a zillion calories per portion - they are the crispiest chips ever they come soaked in a decently hot not too sweet schezaun sauce
                                                                                                    Amazing. I don't know how they do it but I think they are actually battered chips because one of the lads has had them delivered to the hotel, miles from the restaurant and they were still crispy when they got here.
                                                                                                    They sound double fried, thats how they get them so crispy enjoy. Yesterday i ate in the best Chinese ive been in to date in Rush. Its a relocated from another lesser know part of Rush off main street and now situated over the Michael Collins pub on Main street.
                                                                                                    The young waiter is eager and clearly shipped in recently. Seems surprised the punters dont speak mandarin. I asked him what way they do a certain dish and he looked back at me like i hadnt started my sentence. Later the same when i asked him to give my compliments to the chef. But if you can overlook that and see it as part of the caberet the food is spectacular. The best.

Comment

@RD3 have you seen how much support Bernie Sanders is getting from the far left? Judging by my Facebook feed they will hold their nose and vote for Hillary as long they can get Bernie into the passenger seat at the oval office.

Meanwhile your horse is saying the same stuff as a mass murderer.
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I'm pulling for Monty anyway!

Comment

20 Chinese cunts playing live ww in the pub.

Very jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                            Bowl of new spuds, butter and salt Toasted slices of batch bread covered with lashing of pate, washed down with a nice glass of Sancerre. Doesn't get much better than that, it really is the simple things....

Summer has arrived
                                                                                                            FYP

Get your shit together, rural Ireland.
                                                                                                            I spent today in Cavan, internet and websites??? I couldn't even get a fucking phone signal and the roads (apart from the Dublin road to Virginia) are all in a fucking heap. How can somewhere only an hour from Dublin be such a backwards hole?

Comment

I don't mind monty, don't think he's smug. Just think he's a terrible commentator. Hope he does well on the course
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

I hope Monty comes second.

Comment

I don't dislike waterford whispers, but it is starting to insist upon itself. It is the exact same joke, every day, told the same way.

Comment

Hope someone has an 8 ball ready at Chambers Bay

Comment

blaas are stale baps

Comment

Anyone get optical illusions watching Chambers Bay 'greens'. e.g., something looks like a very uphill putt, then when he taps it you realise its a downward slope.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                                                          blaas are stale baps
                                                                                                                          I'm afraid this is true
                                                                                                                          Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X