Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are you doctoring? How is that going?
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
      Finished up in the Philippines yesterday. Lovely place but wouldn't want to live there as I'm too much of a western culture fanboy. Currently in koh Tao thialand hoping to do my diving PADI this week and then full moon madness next week.

For some weird reason have an itch to get back into playing the pokers. This will probably pass when I remember how grim it is
      Good game on Koh Phangnan, in the Aussie bar in Haad Rin.

Good as in everyone is utterly useless, pots gets raked by sticky fingers though.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

If I had to describe Malta in a single word, that word would be "LOUD" In truth it may be in some small part be a function of where we've landed (in the heart of St. Julians which is the tourist capital) but I think it's more than that to be honest.

The noise is oppressive. It is louder (imo) than Bangkok, Dublin and even Las Vegas. Although undoubtedly a lack of sound proofing in the buildings plays it's part in that also.

It starts, much like this morning has, with the sound of work being carried out on a road/house/garage/garden/whatever when banging and drilling kicks off at around 6.50am. That is then gradually joined by the sound of traffic and trucks haring down small side streets, punctuated by the blowing of their horns every 50 yards or so. Accompanying this cacophany is the screeching of brakes and rubber on the road as nobody seems to have quite figured out how to gently apply either an accelerator or a brake. In the midst of all this domesticated and wild cats and dogs howl their appreciation for the music of the mechanical animals around them and birds squeal in delight at another new day.

As pre-dawn becomes morning, the sound rises in crescendo washing over you like a wave until it has completely uprooted your conciousness and you spend your time trying to pick out the individual noises and understand exactly what they are. The early afternoon brings a lull of sorts as everything shuts down between 12-4 in the heat and aside from the constant underlying noise of beeping car horns and screeching tires you can almost hear yourself think. That is apart from what seems to be a fog horn somewhere in the building that we are living in, that goes off a dozen random times a day.

The early evening plays out in much the same way until about 8pm when the noise levels of the thousands of young foreign students and workers start to pick up as they make their way to the bars and clubs that remain open and pumping music and indeed people onto the street until 6am the following morning. From around midnight on, each of these souls seem to have no route home except to pass by our building, with groups alternating from singing "hey Macarana" to general shouting in their native language to the dulcet tones of couples arguing as they go by our window. Sometimes, but not always, there is a backdrop of one of our neighbours making noise that I equate to trying to kill a small army of bugs while dragging their furniture around their tiled floors (all the apartments have tiled floors in our block it seems) in some maniacal attempt to feng shui their way out of the infestation.

Normally by about 4am things have quietened down enough to actually fall asleep, until the whole thing starts again at 6.45. An investment in either a heavy duty pair of ear plugs or noise restrictors will be a vital ahead of proper tourist season I think.
        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
          prop bet for the two of ye to get married, how much we talking?
          I'd say he'd turn his back on me after 10 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
            Nothing for me, tis me dream m8
            Are you, are you being Sarcastic ?

Comment

And there we go,the self congratulation orgy was getting too much and now I have to listen to bono preaching throughout gay pride/in the name of love from their concert at the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                He popped up in a documentary I watched awhile back (Citizen Koch) and he seemed like a right cunt, nearly got recalled so I'm sure that will come back to haunt him
                That's actually a positive - "embattled governor fights off greedy unions blah blah"

Plays well with the base.
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Iago, you poor (metaphorical obv.) man. Me heart is bleedin' for ya on my commute to my soul-destroying job with the unwashed hordes.

how about Portugal? Always thought that would be somewhere nice to retire to.

Comment

When are you doctoring? How is that going?
                    Get my post on the 3rd of June don't start until the 13th of July

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                    Good game on Koh Phangnan, in the Aussie bar in Haad Rin.

Good as in everyone is utterly useless, pots gets raked by sticky fingers though.
                    Ah it can wait until I get home I don't want to cut into the precious island time

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      So no-one here has a projector set up instead of a big TV? Bunch of Yes voters.

Think I might buy this:

Will then have a 100 inch screen on the wall.

Never had any interest in a projector or home theatre until randomly saw it in Bargain Alerts on Boards yesterday or the day before. Now I can't see how I could possibly be contented in this life were I not to have one.
                      Hey,

I have a projector set up in my house.
                      Bought the projector from Richersounds, seems like the one I got was most recommended on boards etc, but a little bit more expensive than the one you are looking at.
                      The biggest brands, best prices and expert advice in sound and vision

In terms of setting it up, the projector is mounted to the ceiling, drilled into the joists, fairly handy to do.
                      At the minute it just projects onto a grey wall as haven't put the requisite effort into getting the screen mounted. Basically the joists are not in the required place to fix the screen to, so have to do a cross beam in order to support the screen. A bit of a pain, but shocked at how good the picture quality is proejcted onto a grey wall.

My setup is as follows.
                      PS4 & Android box run into the below.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SC.../dp/B007O6FRD8 - this

and run a hdmi from that into the projector.

Job done.
                      Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Iago, you poor (metaphorical obv.) man. Me heart is bleedin' for ya on my commute to my soul-destroying job with the unwashed hordes.

It truly is a terrible burden I'm being forced to bear!

We'll have to give serious consideration to moving to a quieter part of the island I think. Portugal/Spain are definitely on the list long term but need to learn Spanish first and then if I'm feeling brave Portugese before I'd be happy moving to either.

To be honest apart from the fantastic weather, thousands of semi-naked young women & really cheap alcohol & food I don't think Malta has much going for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

We'll have to give serious consideration to moving to a quieter part of the island I think. Portugal/Spain are definitely on the list long term but need to learn Spanish first and then if I'm feeling brave Portugese before I'd be happy moving to either.

To be honest apart from the fantastic weather, thousands of semi-naked young women & really cheap alcohol & food I don't think Malta has much going for it.
                          At least we get the opportunity to learn from his mistakes Raoul! Now keep saving very hard and Iago will have figured out the nut location by the time we can afford to semi retire.
                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                            And there we go,the self congratulation orgy was getting too much and now I have to listen to bono preaching throughout gay pride/in the name of love from their concert at the weekend
                            Gotta agree with this. I'm delighted for my gay friends and it's good PR for the country but let's not award ourselves sainthoods just yet.
                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

We'll have to give serious consideration to moving to a quieter part of the island I think.
                              I wouldn't think in terms of moving too far, quite possibly even 200 metres could make a big difference. Like moving from Fleet St at the edge of Temple Bar to say Tara St would be 200 metres but a massive difference in noise. Moving up a higher floor probably make a difference also.
                              Better than moving to one of those godforsaken villages in the centre/west that look like John Hustons Ireland.

Sounds like you are near the Pacerville part of StJ, probably better off on the other side of it (heading towards Sliema). I thought it was very quiet on the sidestreets up that way.

AJ (expert on places after spending 4 days in them)

Comment

Same here, it's unbelievable at times. I just go down to the beach and there are groups of topless babes all over the place. Maybe they are sex workers topping up on their tans but I don't care.
                                Walk down to the market, women in bikinis, go to the car wash, women in their bikinis, go to a beach restaurant, women in bikinis, sit on the beach, watch the women playing vollyball. Women walkers wearing bikini tops and very short lycra shorts.
                                When I did the ice bucket challenge on the beach last year, a girl behind me (stranger) flashed her boobs so that it was in my video .

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                At least we get the opportunity to learn from his mistakes Raoul! Now keep saving very hard and Iago will have figured out the nut location by the time we can afford to semi retire.
                                We did a lot of reconnaissance before settling in this area, I think it's the nut location for my time of life. If I was younger I might not live here, just because I would probably want a bit more adventure. For a family though it's as close to perfect as I believe is in my capability to find.

Comment

Bisping vs Leites headlining the Glasgow card.

Pearson vs Dunham added also. Redmond and Duffy the two Irish flying the flag.

Shaping up to be a good little event.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                    Same here, it's unbelievable at times. I just go down to the beach and there are groups of topless babes all over the place. Maybe they are sex workers topping up on their tans but I don't care.
                                    Walk down to the market, women in bikinis, go to the car wash, women in their bikinis, go to a beach restaurant, women in bikinis, sit on the beach, watch the women playing vollyball. Women walkers wearing bikini tops and very short lycra shorts.
                                    Was YKTD ever more appropriate?

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                      Bisping vs Leites headlining the Glasgow card.

Pearson vs Dunham added also. Redmond and Duffy the two Irish flying the flag.

Shaping up to be a good little event.
                                      That has serious potential to stink the place out.

Bisping is a pretty boring fighter in general. It's only recently Leites has become a different man.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                        I wouldn't think in terms of moving too far, quite possibly even 200 metres could make a big difference. Like moving from Fleet St at the edge of Temple Bar to say Tara St would be 200 metres but a massive difference in noise. Moving up a higher floor probably make a difference also.
                                        Better than moving to one of those godforsaken villages in the centre/west that look like John Hustons Ireland.

Sounds like you are near the Pacerville part of StJ, probably better off on the other side of it (heading towards Sliema). I thought it was very quiet on the sidestreets up that way.

AJ (expert on places after spending 4 days in them)
                                        Aye, if we were moving we could go towards Sliema or Msida and be fine. Initially we wanted to be in Swieqi but the prices were ridiculous. We're not quite in Paceville thankfully but we are at a busy part of St. Julians albeit we're off the main street and in what I thought was a relatively removed part.

There are a few places that would probably be quieter but still quite accessible for the purposes of eating and drinking out. Expect that we'll look slightly further afield once the lease is up, of course we may also just adapt to the noise but I'm not kidding when I say that living in Bachelors Walk was quieter than here.

Comment

That's actually a positive - "embattled governor fights off greedy unions blah blah"

I'm not at all sure, I think its possible that the Koch Bros money gets him the nomination but also makes him unelectable. Thats not to say he wouldn't be trading in the 2.3 - 2.8 range by election day.

Your case against Hillary makes some strong points but I don't yet find it compelling. The turmoil within the Republicunts remains at complete chaos level and having a Koch puppet running will do nothing to turn that around.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

If I had to describe Malta in a single word, that word would be "LOUD"
                                            Thats my experience of every mediterranean town I've ever visited. The houses are built of Kleenex and spit, everyone shouts all the time and the pneumatic drill appears to be the main tool in use on all jobs.

Comment

Averil Power with an announcement in the next few minutes apparently. Would be class if she decided to make a move on the leadership and try to forge a progressive party from the ashes of Fianna Fail, but more likely she's just quitting because of their craven approach to the marriage referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                Averil Power with an announcement in the next few minutes apparently. Would be class if she decided to make a move on the leadership and try to forge a progressive party from the ashes of Fianna Fail, but more likely she's just quitting because of their craven approach to the marriage referendum.
                                                Micheal Martin was everywhere on sat claiming credit for it passing

Comment

He gives me the creeps big time.

Comment

Bill O Herlihy has died? Hope it's a horrible rumour
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Bill O' Herlihy has passed away it seems. RIP.

Comment

Bill O’Herlihy, RTÉ broadcaster, much loved host of the station’s football and Olympics coverage and public relations executive has died aged 76. More as we get it. Broadcaster Bill O&#…
                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                          Just funking for one of the kids to have the Midas touch (and severe guilt issues).

Then we can retire to Vegas.

Comment

Quitting the party it seems.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                              Quitting the party it seems.
                                                              Yeah no surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                We will leave it there so
                                                                Sad news. RIP Bill.
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                  We will leave it there so
                                                                  A tribute to the legendary RTÉ broadcaster Bill O'Herlihy. 49 years. 10 World Cups. 10 Olympic Games.Web http://www.rte.ie/worldcupTwitter: http://www.Twitte...

#Nostalgia
                                                                  Last edited by Megatron; 25-05-15, 11:20.

Comment

DBN selection for FF due very soon and she was by no means guarenteed a candidacy. The Haughey brand rehabilitation continues and still has enough influence to crowbar Sean into a chance ahead of Power.

reckon she'll line up an independent run by herself but it would be a hell of a battle.
                                                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                      DBN selection for FF due very soon and she was by no means guarenteed a candidacy. The Haughey brand rehabilitation continues and still has enough influence to crowbar Sean into a chance ahead of Power.

reckon she'll line up an independent run by herself but it would be a hell of a battle.
                                                                      She's a geebag. Only where she is because of the husband's cheerleading. Still good to see FF rats deserting (if a bit strange given Aylward's win).

Comment

In fairness, Labour of all the parties should be getting the lion's share of the credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                          I'm not at all sure, I think its possible that the Koch Bros money gets him the nomination but also makes him unelectable. Thats not to say he wouldn't be trading in the 2.3 - 2.8 range by election day.

Your case against Hillary makes some strong points but I don't yet find it compelling. The turmoil within the Republicunts remains at complete chaos level and having a Koch puppet running will do nothing to turn that around.
                                                                          Your Hilary vs my Anyone Else? let's get it on.

Comment

She's a geebag. Only where she is because of the husband's cheerleading. Still good to see FF rats deserting (if a bit strange given Aylward's win).
                                                                            Jesus,I actually thought she was a TD with all the coverage she gets, nope,just another politician rejected by the electorate sunning herself in the safety hammock that is the seanad.
                                                                            Also didn't realise she was married to that stunted little hobgoblin Sheehan.

Comment

Aw

Comment

Jesus,I actually thought she was a TD with all the coverage she gets, nope,just another politician rejected by the electorate sunning herself in the safety hammock that is the seanad.
                                                                                We're not allowed to complain about the Seanad. The People Have Spoken.

Comment

Was desperately hoping that was a troll. RIP Okeydoke.
                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Mixed emotions with Bills passing, on one side it's obv sad on the other I shipped an almost decade long RTE panel death sweep with my mates
                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Apparently he was at the IFTA ceremony...few hours later, gone. Mad.

Comment

Gutted about Billo. I'd imagine most here would have been watching him from their first sporting event until he retired. RIP.

Comment

We're not allowed to complain about the Seanad. The People Have Spoken.
                                                                                          They should be asked again.

Comment

When you're backed by the Koch brothers you got serious money to fend off stuff, you should check out the documentary think you'd seriously like it.
                                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Labour are the first to jump on the abortion referendum bandwagon. Probability that the other parties will want to go near it with a bargepole?

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-...urce=shortlink
                                                                                              Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 25-05-15, 13:24.
                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                Labour are the first to jump on the abortion referendum bandwagon. Probability that the other parties will want to go near it with a bargepole?

Labour are toxic anyway so they may as well.
                                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Pretty sure Labour and Sinn Fein have been on that bandwagon for fair while

Comment

Michael Martins' question is a bit silly: "What do you replace it with?".

Just delete it, you fool. That's effectively what repeal means, right? It should never have been in there in the first place, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by DMMurray View Post

Just delete it, you fool. That's effectively what repeal means, right? It should never have been in there in the first place, imo.
                                                                                                      There is 0% chance of an amendment to repeal passing at least until there is detailed legislation that regulates access to abortion ready to put in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        There is 0% chance of an amendment to repeal passing at least until there is detailed legislation that regulates access to abortion ready to put in place.
                                                                                                        But isn't the current amendment an issue in writing such legislation? I would have have thought everything abortion-related in this country is a lot clearer with the amendment gone. (That said, I don't really understand the ins and outs of it. I just work off the basic premise that all-things-religion need to be banished from the Constitution).

Comment

Think the only time we've ever just removed something was the removal of the special position of the Catholic Church.

Also we can't repeal the 8th, we can just change the Constitution back to how it was. The 8th was put in there because Irish jurisprudence was walking down a similar privacy based road that had lead to Roe v Wade in the US. Removing it doesn't legalise abortion, it just removes the constitutional block to legislating for it. At present abortion would be illegal with or without the 8th amendment.
                                                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                            Removing it doesn't legalise abortion, it just removes the constitutional block to legislating for it.
                                                                                                            I was hoping you'd chime in! I understand that removing the 8th amendment doesn't legalise abortion, but I assumed that legislation becomes easier to write with it gone (as I said in my second post there).

Comment

Just went on the soccer forum on boards for the first time in yonks

Has the Rigger indoctrinated them into speaking Wolfpack speak or has something very weird happened to Ireland in my absence?

Comment

I was hoping you'd chime in! I understand that removing the 8th amendment doesn't legalise abortion, but I assumed that legislation becomes easier to write with it gone (as I said in my second post there).
                                                                                                                Can you not prepare legislation even have it ready to be signed by the president pending a constitutional change that it would need to be compliant.

Wouldn't that have been the way it worked for some amendments previously like EU treaties

M'Learned colleague will explain how it works

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                                  Just went on the soccer forum on boards for the first time in yonks

Has the Rigger indoctrinated them into speaking Wolfpack speak or has something very weird happened to Ireland in my absence?
                                                                                                                  lol, to what are you referring?
                                                                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Spent the weekend on Achill Island. Short photo trip report:

SPOILER
                                                                                                                    The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Raoul - Do you have a moneybookers A/c (Skrill) or do you want me to ship to your bank A/c?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                        Raoul - Do you have a moneybookers A/c (Skrill) or do you want me to ship to your bank A/c?
                                                                                                                        Spin up details sent.

Comment

lol, to what are you referring?
                                                                                                                          M8; right in the feels etc

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X