X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      I'd say the teaching the kid to swim of the last few days has to be right up there with seeing her walking for the first time as a lovely life experience.

Suppose they're all lovely life experiences really.
      Wait 'till you have three, then you'll just want to drown them....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
          They are the definition of amateur and shambolic, lord help us when they are the only option (for those of us in UPC land who don't have proper ITV) for the 48 games of the Rugby World Cup.

Though there was a glorious 2 minutes in the second half when they lost commentary but still had crowd and player sound, always seems a good way of watching the game. But clearly they couldn't let that continue and gave us studio voiceovers instead refusing to acknowledge that dead air >>>>> Mark Lawrenson.

Spoiler for AMadrid v Bayer
          SPOILER
          Extra time in t'other game for those interested.
          Had forgotten they had the rugby WC. Going to be a total clusterfuck. How the hell was that allowed to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
            back to normal in this house after nearly 3 months apart

Himself went to bed early to catch up on GOT , now currently snoring , can hear him lol

Off to Galway in the morn for two nights, cancelled G hotel as cousin said it was too far out and may as well stay with her in Claregalway if that was the case, so booked The Harbour Hotel instead.

Himself is looking for the best pint of Guiness with a bookies nearby if anyone knows of one.

Cant fucking wait to get away for a few days and get spoiled.

Its great having him home and getting the arse slapped again while washing the dishes , happy out!
            Hope you backed the winner of the second race at Down royal today!

Comment

In LA there's a irish pub next door (Handy heh) that is having an open street Guinness festival/party that seem to be the go to place for today. Seriously looking forward to stopping by for a pint o the black stuff on the way home from work. Fabulous seeing a few irish lads there wearing the rugby Jersey and looking forward to chatting to them later. On the down side it is making me feel homesick for the first time since I moved here
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Ah yeah think we'll stop at the two!

These Durst real-life spoilers are absolutely destroying the potential of The Jinx documentary.
                Had never heard of Durst & the killings, The Jinx or All Good Things until yesterday.
                Is it not a bit of a crock - 'What did I do, I killed them all?' could plausibly refer to the 6 people he bet at pool the previous night down the Dog and Duck. Should be ridiculously easy for a defence atorney to get it laughed at, if its even admissible in the first place (not Miranda'd, not witnessed etc).
                American court system never stops surprising me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Is he the guy that wrote the Leningrad symphony? (Not that I know anything about classical music, just nice to think of the starving, freezing, besieged citizens being stirred to further resistance by music)

Speaking of which, possibly the most sobering diary entries ever:
                  Remember reading the 900days on the german siege on Leningrad when backpacking not the best of conversations outta it.
                  Such misery bread been made up of up to 85% sawdust.
                  Bodies frozen solid the only people with a bit of weight left on them probably cannibals.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                    @emmet, micknail is trying to twist my arm into getting that phone, if it isn't classs I'll be disappointed.
                    You gotta get the m8 it's great m8
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Was feeling fairly pessimistic about the car being parked on Sean MacDermott Street as I was in the Buddhist centre tonight. Hub caps were taken off there a few weeks ago, and parking it there tonight of all nights was an unwise decision.

Sure enough return to it to find a beer bottle through the back window and the car covered in glass. Had a nice beer aroma though to be fair.

Pretty much have to not drive in on Tuesdays anymore as it's just not safe parking anywhere around James Joyce Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        Xperia is pretty class too
                        airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Working in town on Paddy's day was interesting to say the least.

Parade was going by the shop and I actually enjoyed it (shop was not that busy until it was over).

How any parent lets their early/mid teenage children into town on Paddy's day is beyond me.

Was wandering around Temple Bar before 12 and yangwans and jungfellas were already smashed drunk. When I left around 6 the streets were crawling with the above mentioned getting sick all over the place. It is sad that it is so ingrained in our culture to get paralytic from drink from such a young age. The tourists seemed to be enjoying themselves though.

God help my current and hopefully future children.
                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Just watched Somm and opened my eyes as to how little I know about wine.

Gave me a few good bluff moves though for next restaurant visit.

Also forgot to mention they changed the Somm in the greenhouse who I thought was excellent and really added to the experience.
                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Ah yeah think we'll stop at the two!

These Durst real-life spoilers are absolutely destroying the potential of The Jinx documentary.
                                Tell me not Fred Durst.

Sounds tempting m8. They aren't the cheapest.

The barman has convinced me I'm life drunk. But he keeps selling me port. Feel there's a compromise we can come to here, but can't quite work it out
                                Appletinis the ultimate dealmaker.
                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Also forgot to mention they changed the Somm in the greenhouse who I thought was excellent and really added to the experience.
                                  A great insight into how ridiculous the whole thing is imo
                                  airport, lol

Comment

IPB down?
                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

Signing in

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                          A great insight into how ridiculous the whole thing is imo
                                          How should we understand the robust findings that suggest that the price of wine is not only uncorrelated with how much people enjoy it, but that the different tastes we describe in wine may all be in our heads?

Another American wine region has performed far better than expected in a blind tasting against the finest French châteaus.

In these, 57 "experts" cant even tell white from red in a blind taste test or if a white is dyed red (they were drinking the same white twice even), sommeliers merely have more knowledge of wine production than other people, experience in drinking it and so on. Just find reasonable nice wine and don't spend loads. That's not to say people can't tell the difference ever, of course they do, but all you do is alter somebodies expectations for a wine, like put it in a fancy bottle and charge a lot and that actually has a big affect on them.

In 2008, a survey comprising more than 6,000 blind tastings found a positive correlation between price and enjoyment – for individuals with wine training. In other words: if you're a wine expert, there's a chance you'll enjoy expensive wines more than cheaper ones. HOWEVER, it bears emphatic mentioning that whether this suggests more expensive wines are objectively better (which it doesn't) is irrelevant, because among amateur wine drinkers (which, let's face it, you are), the survey found the opposite, i.e. a negative correlation between price and happiness, “suggesting that individuals on average enjoy more expensive wines slightly less.” This lead the researchers to conclude that "both the prices of wines and wine recommendations by experts may be poor guides for non-expert wine consumers."
                                          Don't get wine training, don't have expectations, save some money
                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 18-03-15, 10:36.

Comment

Need some advice given that my knowledge of physiology is lousy. I have a pain on the top of my inner thigh the last couple of days, if I poke into it it can be quite a sharp pain. I have yoga this evening and am wondering if it's a bad idea. Although just saw an article suggesting yoga as a remedy for thigh pain as it's a low impact way of strengthening it.

What do I have, what should I do, and are those my feet?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                              http://priceonomics.com/is-wine-bullshit/
                                              Another American wine region has performed far better than expected in a blind tasting against the finest French châteaus.

In these, 54 "experts" cant even tell white from red in a blind taste test or if a white is dyed red, sommeliers merely have more knowledge of wine production than other people, experience in drinking it and so on. Just find reasonable nice wine and don't spend loads. That's not to say people can't tell the difference ever, of course they do, but all you do is alter somebodies expectations for a wine, like put it in a fancy bottle and charge a lot and that actually has a big affect on them.

A good Somm makes a huge difference in fine dining.

Getting wine correctly paired with food is a huge part of the experience imo especially for tasting menus. When done correctly it does really enhance both the food and the wine.

For the average punter it is all down to personal taste. I had 3 different bottles of red over the last 3 weeks and the nicest wine was also the cheapest. People do get fooled into thinking that the more expensive it is the better it is but again it is personal taste.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                What do I have,
                                                a sore thigh
                                                what should I do,
                                                stop poking it

and are those my feet?
                                                probaqbly.
                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

as for wine, just order the third least expensive.

Comment

In these, 57 "experts" cant even tell white from red in a blind taste test or if a white is dyed red (they were drinking the same white twice even), sommeliers merely have more knowledge of wine production than other people, experience in drinking it and so on. Just find reasonable nice wine and don't spend loads. That's not to say people can't tell the difference ever, of course they do, but all you do is alter somebodies expectations for a wine, like put it in a fancy bottle and charge a lot and that actually has a big affect on them.

That just proves that most experts aren't experts at all. Not that wine expertise doesn't exist.
                                                    Being able to accurately label wine in a blind test is impressive skill. I imagine few "experts" can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                      Thought it was the the second least expensive. You learn something new every day.

Comment

Everything I know about wine I learned from Bernard Black

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                          Need some advice given that my knowledge of physiology is lousy. I have a pain on the top of my inner thigh the last couple of days, if I poke into it it can be quite a sharp pain. I have yoga this evening and am wondering if it's a bad idea. Although just saw an article suggesting yoga as a remedy for thigh pain as it's a low impact way of strengthening it.

What do I have, what should I do, and are those my feet?
                                                          I get sore there sometimes after working on splits. Probably just a muscle/tendon strain, or a tight muscle.
                                                          Yoga might help relax it if it's tension based, or it might aggravate it if it's part of the issue. You'll probably know which it is, and not do any more damage if it's the latter.

Comment

Two 3 day weeks and two 4 day weeks for easter BH's. Good time of the year for time off.

How far outside of Galway is the G, im going there this weekend for 2 nights and understood it was 10 min walk to Eyre Square?

Comment

Thought it was the the second least expensive. You learn something new every day.
                                                              the second least expensive is their cheapest with a higher mark up, because noone wants to order the least expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                That just proves that most experts aren't experts at all. Not that wine expertise doesn't exist.
                                                                Being able to accurately label wine in a blind test is impressive skill. I imagine few "experts" can do it.
                                                                Yeah I already said that some people can tell the difference which is pretty cool, there are a scant 200 master sommeliers in 50 years since it's introduction. This comes from experience of wine and it's manufacture, a great wealth of knowledge.

The point above is about preference, has a lot to do with expectation and conditioning. More expensive does not mean "better" and so on, yet to us it can feel like it. Take away visual and mental cues and taste the wine, that makes things a lot different.

Comment

Q: is there a better Euro-denominated site than the Book Depository? (Would use Amazon but the exchange rate is unfavourable). tyvmia
                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Neyanyahu back in so quite likely we will all be assuming our usual positions on the moral high ground in about 18 months or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                      Elbows - I went to Beshoffs on Mespil Road for the Gluten Free Fish and Chips - absolutely top class. Couldn't be more impressed with the place, exceptionally clean and well presented. Anybody in the market for a good fish and chips should get themselves there.
                                                                      Oh I didn't realise that... the place opposite the petrol station yea?
                                                                      I had a Fish and chips there last Friday evening and didn't really notice the name over the door. I'd been there before after a match and it hit the spot but it seemed better this time.
                                                                      Everything about the place was really good. Clean, tasty loads of tartare sauce without having to ask or pay extra and the staff were very nice.
                                                                      Well done.

Comment

Neyanyahu back in so quite likely we will all be assuming our usual positions on the moral high ground in about 18 months or so.
                                                                        I'd take the unders on that

I suppose it depends on the shape of coalition he makes but it ain't going to be a good time to be a Palestinian... not that there ever was one.

Comment

Comment

I saw a bottle wearing fishnets in Tesco, it looked reet fancy.

A good Somm makes a huge difference in fine dining.

Getting wine correctly paired with food is a huge part of the experience imo especially for tasting menus. When done correctly it does really enhance both the food and the wine.

For the average punter it is all down to personal taste. I had 3 different bottles of red over the last 3 weeks and the nicest wine was also the cheapest. People do get fooled into thinking that the more expensive it is the better it is but again it is personal taste.
                                                                            the second least expensive is their cheapest with a higher mark up, because noone wants to order the least expensive
                                                                            Obviously optimal play changes overtime, taking this new info into consideration, the least expensive is the new nuts.

Comment

More expensive does not mean "better" and so on, yet to us it can feel like it. Take away visual and mental cues and taste the wine, that makes things a lot different.
                                                                              No doubt some trick themselves into thinking that the dear stuff is exquisite.
                                                                              Most of the expensive stuff I've tasted I've hated. I dislike most red too, although I really enjoy Mcguigans black label. Luckily it's a very cheap ($8), aussie blend, produced in huge quantities, availible everywhere.
                                                                              I don't mind that it's a bit soft and unsophisticated. I rather enjoy it, than keep up appearances.

Comment

Beer and whiskey have gone as bad now if not worse. Expert tapping of insecurity by the marketing spivs though
                                                                                Last edited by Guest; 18-03-15, 11:45.

Comment

Oh I didn't realise that... the place opposite the petrol station yea?
                                                                                  I had a Fish and chips there last Friday evening and didn't really notice the name over the door. I'd been there before after a match and it hit the spot but it seemed better this time.
                                                                                  Everything about the place was really good. Clean, tasty loads of tartare sauce without having to ask or pay extra and the staff were very nice.
                                                                                  Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                    Beer and whiskey have gone as bad now if not worse. Expert tapping of insecurity by the marketing spivs though

I'm looking forward to there being beer sommeliers in all the craft pubs.

Comment

Your favourite place in Stoneybatter is halfway there imo

Comment

What an awesome day for pints
                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Going snowboarding/skiing with work soon and then tapas la ti da, anybody used that place in Dublin, any craic?

Comment

I meet a self proclaimed one in probus last summer, he knew a lot about the histories of the breweries and differt types of beers 7/10
                                                                                            48

Comment

Following on from the success of the Cheltenham tipping comp, any interest in an Aintree one? Happy to run it if we get sufficient interest.

Comment

I've just been listening to the 'spectacular' performance from the head of the HIA on the Pat Kenny show this morning ( Interview starts about 30 minutes in http://www.newstalk.com/player/shows...ny_Show_Part_1 ).

I assume (hope) this is mis-understanding on his part and not actual policy :/
                                                                                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Following on from the success of the Cheltenham tipping comp, any interest in an Aintree one? Happy to run it if we get sufficient interest.
                                                                                                  Really enjoyed the Cheltenham comp. despite middling performance.

You can count me in for Aintree if you run it.

Comment

In

Comment

I'd be on for it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                                        I've just been listening to the 'spectacular' performance from the head of the HIA on the Pat Kenny show this morning ( Interview starts about 30 minutes in http://www.newstalk.com/player/shows...ny_Show_Part_1 ).

Cliffs? I really don't want to listen to Pat Kenny speak unless there's some kind of payoff.
                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post

Its got to be that he is just an incompetent eejit doesn't it

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                            Cliffs? I really don't want to listen to Pat Kenny speak unless there's some kind of payoff.
                                                                                                            HIA boss states unequivocally after a question about a dependant child that if you do not have a policy in your own name you will not be exempt when you take out a policy of your own. Pat reshapes the question as a wife taking out a policy after her husband dies having previously had her named on his policy and HIA guy sticks to the line that she would not be exempt . Then he umms and awws a bit and tells Pat that he'll send him a written reply

All very odd but I'm sure he is just another in the never ending examples of the Peter Principle in practice in Irish bureaucracy.

Edit

I see here he has backed down
                                                                                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 18-03-15, 15:21.

Comment

That's the assumption... but what if?

Also some stuff on twitter suggesting same.
                                                                                                              May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                                Aldo v McGregor ticket info released

http://severemma.com/2015/02/ufc-189...info-released/
                                                                                                                Looking for details of prices for this and can't find the info anywhere - have it missed it somewhere? I assume they'll release prices before the tickets go on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                                                  Looking for details of prices for this and can't find the info anywhere - have it missed it somewhere? I assume they'll release prices before the tickets go on sale?
                                                                                                                  Dont think they have been officially released yet. Think it was Mellor who put up some pretty solid guestimates. $100 - $1000.

I would say you would want to spend at least 350 for decent seats, then again I've never been to the MGM.

Comment

Who would win in a fight, Christian Bale or Tom Hardy?

I'm Team Tom.

Comment

He's just f*cked up the interview... the legislation uses the term "cover" for calculating the periods that contribute to avoiding a levy. Nothing about being the policy holder.

Health insurance generally sucks but it's paying my income as a software engineer these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                                                        Who would win in a fight, Christian Bale or Tom Hardy?

I'm Team Tom.
                                                                                                                        Tom every day.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                                                          On that site it said "Ticket prices have not been announced yet but usually tickets start at $50"

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X