This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
    How much would a decent gaming rig cost these days. Would be easier to sneak into the house "it's for work i swear !"
    How many seconds after I buy it will it not be top of the range anymore
    I built my own 2 years ago for 350 (I had a monitor already) and it runs things perfectly for me. I mainly play csgo and age of empires but it can easily run skyrim at max settings. In fairness it did struggle a lot with crisis 3 at max settings. I'll look to upgrade next summer and would be fairly confident of being able to put together a top end rig for 800

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
      I need a kettle, link!
      i'm guessing it was the one on the amazon black friday deals, but the deal is over now.

here's the link to full price one. pricey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
        I built my own 2 years ago for 350 (I had a monitor already) and it runs things perfectly for me. I mainly play csgo and age of empires but it can easily run skyrim at max settings. In fairness it did struggle a lot with crisis 3 at max settings. I'll look to upgrade next summer and would be fairly confident of being able to put together a top end rig for 800
        Games I'm most interested in are gta v and alien isolation so guessing Id need to be closer to the 800 end of things than the 300

Comment

'Build a PC day' isn't going to win any entertainment awards at the BBV End of Year shindig.

Comment

Anyone have one of those 'Nest' thermostats or similar?

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
              Anyone have one of those 'Nest' thermostats or similar?
              Someone in my work has one, PM a list of questions of noone has one here and I'll see if I can get you some answers.
              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                'Build a PC day' isn't going to win any entertainment awards at the BBV End of Year shindig.
                What is in contention? The ' most retarded Cork related thread' field is a pale imitation of days gone by also

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                  Someone in my work has one, PM a list of questions of noone has one here and I'll see if I can get you some answers.
                  Don't have any specific questions, just wondering if they are worth it. At present our heating is either 'On' or 'Off'.

Comment

Odell Beckham's legit

Comment

Gonna self build my own wifi kettle.
                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                        I would have very little reservations about buying used gaming PC components. Top of the range from 2/3 years ago can be got for less than 100, and will melt the face off any game you throw at it bar some outliers. It was always thus with GFX cards, i remember buying an ATI 9800 back in the day for no other reason than it was newer and shinier than the Nvidia i upgraded from. Hard drives arent much saving 2nd hand, so might as well to buy new, but other than that, CPU's RAM and GPUs are great value used. I bought an i5 desktop off ebay last week just to play new World of Warcraft expansion over Xmas, £220 delivered, 50 more for a Samsung SSD and will probably flog it in April for £250ish.
                        Just bought some 2nd hand PC stuff actually! Need an Nvidia card upgrade to get full value from my new Nvidia Shield Tablet - I may have overpaid slightly but still about €50 cheaper than buying new from Amazon: http://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards...-gddr5/6895507

Defo ready for GTA V PC Master Race edition. Playing Far Cry 3 on my trusty ATI Radeon HD 6850 (which will soon be up for sale on Adverts ) and to be honest it looks great, PC components have such longevity these days as already mentioned. I bought my PC for <€600 from Dell a few years ago (got an amazing deal at the time) and I'm 100% sure I won't be changing anything but the GPU for many a long year.

Comment

Would this do for most PC games? I'm not a heavy pc gamer but if I got GTA V would it run ok?

Comment

Don't have any specific questions, just wondering if they are worth it. At present our heating is either 'On' or 'Off'.
                            Then your question is the same as mine...is what exactly do you have to do to wire it up to a heating system that is operated from inside the house by an on off switch (there is a stat on the boiler but it doesn't seem to do a lot)
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                              Just bought some 2nd hand PC stuff actually! Need an Nvidia card upgrade to get full value from my new Nvidia Shield Tablet - I may have overpaid slightly but still about €50 cheaper than buying new from Amazon: http://www.adverts.ie/graphics-cards...-gddr5/6895507

Defo ready for GTA V PC Master Race edition. Playing Far Cry 3 on my trusty ATI Radeon HD 6850 (which will soon be up for sale on Adverts ) and to be honest it looks great, PC components have such longevity these days as already mentioned. I bought my PC for <€600 from Dell a few years ago (got an amazing deal at the time) and I'm 100% sure I won't be changing anything but the GPU for many a long year.
                              That's the xps deal they ran a few years back(i7, 12gb ram)? Have the same one myself and looking at upgrading the card now. Some of the nvidia gtx cards are small enough to fit apparently.
                              May you live in interesting times!

Comment

With the nest you wire it in wherever you have a shitty analogue thermostat in the house that does nothing, then you set your heating to permanently on at the timer and the Nest controls whether or not heat is actually delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                  Would this do for most PC games? I'm not a heavy pc gamer but if I got GTA V would it run ok?

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Toshi...EN/version.asp
                                  No, it has inbuilt graphics, you would need a dedicated graphics card.

mayeb the higher end here but havent checked it out too closely, dinner time!
                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-11-14, 17:58.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                    Odell Beckham's legit

This doing him a disservice not showing the TD, subhuman agility to stay in bounds all in the one movement. They were showing him warming up beforehand and he was picking off everything one handed, proper freak.
                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Toshi...EN/version.asp
                                      No. Integrated graphics aren't gonna cut it. You'll need a dedicated graphics card, which are expensive in laptops. They are also handicapped by portability and energy-saving requirements. This one's actually a really good deal from the same website:

But at that price point you're far better off getting a desktop. That thing won't last 10 minutes unplugged from the mains anyway.
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                        Odell Beckham's legit

Woah now ...

This has to be included. Sickness.

3 fucking fingers ...
                                        Last edited by White Knight; 24-11-14, 18:34.

Comment

I have an aging Vaio that is getting me through most of a game of Civ 5 before slowing horribly, might go with a desktop so, living in Malta not knowing how long I'll stay was the main thing putting me off.

Comment

Why are neither of the NFL games billed for sky tonihgt? I was sure Ive been watching Monday night games on sky other weeks
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                              Why are neither of the NFL games billed for sky tonihgt? I was sure Ive been watching Monday night games on sky other weeks
                                              Eurosport?

Comment

Eurosport?
                                                CHeers, just thought it was usually on sky thought they got rights for mondays this year but clearly I'm wrong
                                                airport, lol

Comment

Ok I need to limit my time on the internet when im somehow onto watching this...

Dubstep made by Holder:https://soundcloud.com/majorleaguewobsRemove 8bit:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9HzqxwKfiM

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                    This doing him a disservice not showing the TD, subhuman agility to stay in bounds all in the one movement. They were showing him warming up beforehand and he was picking off everything one handed, proper freak.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      With the nest you wire it in wherever you have a shitty analogue thermostat in the house that does nothing, then you set your heating to permanently on at the timer and the Nest controls whether or not heat is actually delivered.
                                                      I was about to pull the trigger on the Nest a few weeks ago, a mate in the trade convinced to hold off for a honeywell system instead in new year. He did say they would be a great addition for an apartment, but not as useful for a whole house.
                                                      Last edited by mocata; 24-11-14, 19:31.
                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Its ridic good! First show since Breaking Bad that has really worked.
                                                        You're a maniac.
                                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I don't have any stat inside, just the one on the boiler outside
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So it's nothing more than a glorified timer?

Comment

Does it have wifi?
                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                I don't have any stat inside, just the one on the boiler outside
                                                                Not sure then. They might do something at the timer...Think there's a fairly detailed 'will it work in my house' on their website.

So it's nothing more than a glorified timer?
                                                                Yea pretty much. Irish heating systems have always baffled me. I want to say 'keep my house at 20 C when I'm here' nothing more complicated than that is needed by anyone. Yet there's all this malarkey with timers, thermostats on the wall that essentially are useless because they have such a wide 'play' meaning that if you turn it up a shade the boiler never turns off and down a shade and the boiler never comes on.
                                                                I got a new heating system during the summer and this shit is still going on. Had researched the Nest as I think it essentially lets me do the above. The downside to the 'sense when you're home' function is that it can only be tied to one phone, so if I leave the gaf the heat turns off and the wife and kids are freezing. Seems silly.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                  That's the xps deal they ran a few years back(i7, 12gb ram)? Have the same one myself and looking at upgrading the card now. Some of the nvidia gtx cards are small enough to fit apparently.
                                                                  Yep, that exact one (top of the line i7 and 12gb RAM), so this card will fit in it - currently Amazon.co.uk's top selling GPU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeFor...dp/B00DBPKEOI/

The one I just got from Adverts is pretty much the same one (slightly older, no real difference in specs, same small form factor) and is smaller than my current Radeon HD 6850. Lots of good small card around these days, they use less power than the older cards as well so double benefit.

Comment

On that TD. The ball seems to be out past sideline but he keeps feet inbounds. Is it OK to catch ball/drag it over sideline as long as feet are still in play?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                      On that TD. The ball seems to be out past sideline but he keeps feet inbounds. Is it OK to catch ball/drag it over sideline as long as feet are still in play?
                                                                      Yes, but both of his feet must touch the ground in play and he must be deemed to have control of the ball before he falls out of bounds
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                        Yep, that exact one (top of the line i7 and 12gb RAM), so this card will fit in it - currently Amazon.co.uk's top selling GPU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeFor...dp/B00DBPKEOI/

The one I just got from Adverts is pretty much the same one (slightly older, no real difference in specs, same small form factor) and is smaller than my current Radeon HD 6850. Lots of good small card around these days, they use less power than the older cards as well so double benefit.
                                                                        Interesting link. I was planning on getting a gtx750 as it looks to be small form factor enough to fit. It's a while since I've had it open but I have filled up some of the spare bays so a long card may not fit.
                                                                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Looking for some advice on moving from a student house mid lease.
                                                                          Basically not too happy with the house I'm in, broken oven, guys aren't the cleanest etc.. it's close to the college but have a better option which is cheaper in terms of rent and better mates with the guys.
                                                                          I have a deposit of 400e paid but holding off on November's rent while making a decision.
                                                                          Not 100% sure but I have a copy of the lease which I was meant to get signed by a guarantor but unsure if that's the original or a copy.
                                                                          How likely is it that a property agent/landlord will pursue you for the rent, should I be fine just to leave etc?

Comment

5star, tdurden,

Planning on hitting Vegas for 2 nights this weekend coming... Any recommendations 're shows/attactions and touristy stuff? Haven't been there before so would appreciate advise on the must do...
                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                              5star, tdurden,

Planning on hitting Vegas for 2 nights this weekend coming... Any recommendations 're shows/attactions and touristy stuff? Haven't been there before so would appreciate advise on the must do...
                                                                              Lots of free stuff worth having a look at on the strip.
                                                                              Fountains of Bellagio show every 30 minutes is awesome, Volcano at Mirage (hourly?) and Pirates at TI are good fun as well.
                                                                              Just wandering in and out of the hotels and gawping is a decent way to spend an afternoon on your first trip.

Comment

Got first tattoo done today after threatening it for years.

Sore but manageable.

That is all.
                                                                                Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                                I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                                None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post

Sore but manageable.

That is all.
                                                                                  Never saw one I'd like to wear. From hard men with no sleeves wearing Celtic symbols to Maori like things. Fat birds with tramp stamps or. Some sort of Chinese writing with deep meaning think there up with ear gauges for stupidity and unsightly ness what did you get?

Comment

Sore but manageable.

That is all.
                                                                                    I like that description. Will use it in future when people ask what it feels like. I was a bit like you I'd say. Thought about getting one for ages. Have four now! What did ya get?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                      Never saw one I'd like to wear. From hard men with no sleeves wearing Celtic symbols to Maori like things. Fat birds with tramp stamps or. Some sort of Chinese writing with deep meaning think there up with ear gauges for stupidity and unsightly ness what did you get?
                                                                                      I have one on the underside of my big toe. A smiley face with a buckle hat. Only place I think I'd get away with it. Not cool enough to wear good visible tattoos and not stupid enough to wear shit ones.
                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Sports Direct 20% off on Irish site.
                                                                                        Code: IRE20
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Gone on a Hitch-esque switching binge today. Bin company, house insurance and electricity provider all switched. No idea what the cost savings will be (if any). Back to inertia for another decade now.
                                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                            Yeah I was like that for ages myself, hate all those tribal things.
                                                                                            Knew I wouldn't get sick of this one though.

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                                                            I like that description. Will use it in future when people ask what it feels like. I was a bit like you I'd say. Thought about getting one for ages. Have four now! What did ya get?
                                                                                            Heard it described as a cat scratching a bad sunburn which also seemed pretty accurate when it was being done.

Kids name and date of birth in Roman numerals.

None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

wanking yesterday, tattoos today

this will not end well
                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

this will not end well
                                                                                                You were in hr i think for a while.
                                                                                                Had you any policy on applicants with tattoos that were visible.

Comment

this will not end well
                                                                                                  Some lad gave satnav a Nirvana tattoo in a nightclub I think is the story
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Gone on a Hitch-esque switching binge today. Bin company, house insurance and electricity provider all switched. No idea what the cost savings will be (if any). Back to inertia for another decade now.
                                                                                                    Which bin company did you go with? Probably not the cheapest, but Panda allowing you put glass in the recycling bin is a huge plus imo.
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Rigger is on the money when it comes to the splendiferous nature of Nightcrawler.

edit: Starvin Marvin are you and Charlie's mother together?
                                                                                                      Last edited by hotspur; 24-11-14, 22:39.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                        Lots of free stuff worth having a look at on the strip.
                                                                                                        Fountains of Bellagio show every 30 minutes is awesome, Volcano at Mirage (hourly?) and Pirates at TI are good fun as well.
                                                                                                        Just wandering in and out of the hotels and gawping is a decent way to spend an afternoon on your first trip.
                                                                                                        I think the pirates of the caribbean at TI is gone now.

Downtown is worth a look for the old school seedy look, and the Fremont street zipline is a decent way to pass a few minutes but not unmissable by any stretch. I'm probably one of the worst to give recommendations for Vegas anyhow.

Comment

Yeah I was like that for ages myself, hate all those tribal things.
                                                                                                          Knew I wouldn't get sick of this one though.

Heard it described as a cat scratching a bad sunburn which also seemed pretty accurate when it was being done.

Kids name and date of birth in Roman numerals.
                                                                                                          There was a lad who had a bet with an irish mma fighter, that if he ever made it in to UFC he'd get his name and the date tattoo's on him.
                                                                                                          well he made it this year and got the tattoo. But me made a balls of the date.
                                                                                                          XIX.VII.XXXIV

Comment

I think i will get charlie tatooed on my arm with his date of birth. It will take years but the long con when I freak him out and tell him I am his real father will be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                              I think i will get charlie tatooed on my arm with his date of birth. It will take years but the long con when I freak him out and tell him I am his real father will be worth it.
                                                                                                              Go for any other font for the name, and somewhat smaller too. Maybe the date of birth in hex.
                                                                                                              Last edited by ComradeCollie; 24-11-14, 22:53.
                                                                                                              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                edit: Starvin Marvin are you and Charlie's mother together?
                                                                                                                We are indeed.

Comment

this will not end well
                                                                                                                  Moving up the arm. Elbow pads or shoulders next
                                                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                                                                    If you write a cheque for €100 made payable to John Smith, and John Smith endorses the cheque and gives it to Joe Blogs, and Joe Blogs lodges it in his account, does your bank ever see that Joe Blogs is the one that lodged the cheque? Or is it just a case of "cheque #25: €100".

Same question if you make it payable to cash, does your bank ever see where the cheque gets lodged?
                                                                                                                    anyone??
                                                                                                                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                                                                      anyone??
                                                                                                                      Just shows up as the cheque no on the statement.

Comment

Just shows up as the cheque no on the statement.
                                                                                                                        cheers
                                                                                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Gone on a Hitch-esque switching binge today. Bin company, house insurance and electricity provider all switched. No idea what the cost savings will be (if any). Back to inertia for another decade now Doomed to spend the next decade on the phone speaking with various customer service representatives.
                                                                                                                          FYP

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X