• Show
Clear All

Spider-Man was a bitch...

Originally posted by Blip View Post
    he's an intelligent little guy
    Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    JAR* score?

* Jigsaw Ability Rating
    So I gave little Harv the surprise jigsaw JAR test and it didn't go too well, contrary to what I thought earlier, the Spider-Man js was his older brothers and although he remembered it he'd never tried it before. Anyways he may not be the child genius I thought he was, still the beating should improve rating

He hasn't played with js's in ages and I found he was lost with where to start, it took him ages to get a handle on basics, I let him try for about 15 mins before I started prompting him ie put straight edges together, try and complete sections of the picture etc etc. I didn't want to help at all but I felt the Spider-Man js is actually quite difficult with limited colours and lots of similar patterns. Also I think I'm coming down with flu or a tooth ache, been at me the last couple of days and my patience was warring tin, not the best state to be in when I was keeping it light hearted and fun.

So in all he finished it albeit with some verbal help from me in 2hrs 24 mins, I was proud he stuck with it although he did wain a couple of times. Told him we'd have fun with it tomorrow night on the floor and we'd get some goodies and drinks too.

HH if you'd like to swap js that would be cool to see how they got on.
    http://flic.kr/p/q4vx4m

Comment

M8

Comment

brag, FAO Hitch, ladyfriend was swanning around in the 'she loves the d' tshirt.
        Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 18-11-14, 02:56.
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
          brag, FAO Hitch, ladyfriend was swanning around in the 'she loves the tshirt.
          Explain?
          airport, lol

Comment

edited to correct. It was the official tshirt of our wrestling trip. Bright pink lettering on a black tee.

Comment

Honda if you want brekfast I'm inT1 for an hour
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

In the one sitting in aa pool of coffee in Starbucks after the feckin lid came off and exploded coffee everywhere

Comment

While many won't believe me, I won't get over that far at this hour, apologies,thanks for the offer. Maybe next time.
                  airport, lol

Comment

Is there a creepier type than the middle aged guy in the Ireland blazer who is accompanying a team off young girls on a trip?
                    Yuck

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Is there a creepier type than the middle aged guy in the Ireland blazer who is accompanying a team off young girls on a trip?
                      Yuck

Woah, pretty sweeping statement to throw at the many youth coaches / teachers who would do similar every week of the year.
                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Hitch/Raoul, could you explain IW being 'off balance sheet' in 2 or 3 sentences please. No Hotspur/Kayroo speak either

Comment

IT claiming three month delay in charging; probable further extension of registration deadline.
                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Can anybody think of a sport where registered/ranked athletes are forbidden from competing in other sports?

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                              Hitch/Raoul, could you explain IW being 'off balance sheet' in 2 or 3 sentences please. No Hotspur/Kayroo speak either
                              If most of the funding comes from the public from levies/charges it's viewed as a separate entity from the gov. With some accounting it moves about 1bn in gov spending, and another ~800m or so in borrowings off the balance sheet into this new company. So when it comes to hitting our spending/debt targets they're massaged into looking better.

So the government is tied into going ahead with the project.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

Woah, pretty sweeping statement to throw at the many youth coaches / teachers who would do similar every week of the year.
                                True, but this one was particularly off.
                                Its a group of deaf girls and his preferred method of communicating with them is by speaking very loudly... And creepily.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                  Can anybody think of a sport where registered/ranked athletes are forbidden from competing in other sports?
                                  AJ probably your man. Course now too long ago the GAA had a ban on 'foreign' games, meaning you would be suspended from the organistion if you were caught playing them.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                  If most of the funding comes from the public from levies/charges it's viewed as a separate entity from the gov. With some accounting it moves about 1bn in gov spending, and another ~800m or so in borrowings off the balance sheet into this new company. So when it comes to hitting our spending/debt targets they're massaged into looking better.

Cheers Denny

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    True, but this one was particularly off.
                                    Its a group of deaf girls and his preferred method of communicating with them is by speaking very loudly... And creepily.
                                    You sure you weren't watching Father Ted or something

Comment

So, on the new water charges expected to be announced, is metering dead? There are 2 flat rates mentioned, nothing else. Is all the costs of the meters now just purely wasted? What happened to the conservation aspect?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

young Denny speakies the trooth

m8
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                          So, on the new water charges expected to be announced, is metering dead? There are 2 flat rates mentioned, nothing else. Is all the costs of the meters now just purely wasted? What happened to the conservation aspect?
                                          presumably they will sneak it down the line (i.e. when the 2016 election is over and done with)

In fairness to the Greens, they are being utterly steadfast on this. The only party to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                            AJ probably your man. Course now too long ago the GAA had a ban on 'foreign' games, meaning you would be suspended from the organistion if you were caught playing them.
                                            Yeah that's kind if the thing in looking for. Although something a bit more recent, even current would be better. Googke machine tells the the GAA ban was lifted in '71.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              presumably they will sneak it down the line (i.e. when the 2016 election is over and done with)

In fairness to the Greens, they are being utterly steadfast on this. The only party to do so.
                                              Except that no one hears when the greens speak now.

Comment

Sumo wrestlers are under strict rules outside the sport, even as far as their living conditions and how they dress and wear their hair. Probably some rules as to what other activities they can do.

GAA, the old ban etc.

Top soccer players wouldn't be allowed take part in some other sports for safety reasons, though this is more a case of their club/insurance company protecting their investment rather than a rule of the sport per se.

Back in the day I think rugby union banned anyone who played non-amateur league?

Also other examples within the same sport, e.g., play Kerry Packer cricket and be banned from ICB cricket, play PDC darts and be banned from BDO darts for a year etc.

Comment

Ahhh the old GAA ban. The grandad (Jimmy)was a pretty important cog for Tipp to retain the All-Ireland back in the day but brought his brother (a priest) to a rugby international at aLandsdowne and was spotted by a Clare player and subsequently banned. Tipp tried to get the Clare lad done but couldn't as the only witness was Jimmy who's statement would be invalid as he was on a 3 month ban!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                    Sumo wrestlers are under strict rules outside the sport, even as far as their living conditions and how they dress and wear their hair. Probably some rules as to what other activities they can do.

GAA, the old ban etc.

Top soccer players wouldn't be allowed take part in some other sports for safety reasons, though this is more a case of their club/insurance company protecting their investment rather than a rule of the sport per se.

Back in the day I think rugby union banned anyone who played non-amateur league?

Also other examples within the same sport, e.g., play Kerry Packer cricket and be banned from ICB cricket, play PDC darts and be banned from BDO darts for a year etc.
                                                    Cheers, the Sumo example is similar, although that's more a byproduct of their controlling lifestyle. My reasons for asking are martial arts in origin also. Basically the IJF, is moving to ban judoka from competing in other combat sports. It seems a bit ridiculous, very almost archaic thinking.

I wouldn't count the club insurance type bans. As that's the club reducing risk, rather than a soccer wide ban.
                                                    Similarly, PDC v BDO is competing organisations rather than a sport wide ban on darts players playing pool for example.

Impressively wide sporting knowledge AJ. Simply a sports fanatic? Or some other reason?

Comment

Cheers, the Sumo example is similar, although that's more a byproduct of their controlling lifestyle. My reasons for asking are martial arts in origin also. Basically the IJF, is moving to ban judoka from competing in other combat sports. It seems a bit ridiculous, very almost archaic thinking.
                                                      Seems a terrible move alright and can't think of similar examples.
                                                      I guess they've covered their bases as to the legality of it, but hopefully they'll lose grant money because of it and have to roll back.
                                                      Could see European governments having an issue giving grant money to a sport which tries to stop kids playing other sports.

Impressively wide sporting knowledge AJ. Simply a sports fanatic? Or some other reason?
                                                      Basically just a fan of nearly all sports, was absolutely fascinated by scoring systems and rules and why certain sports did things in particular ways. And was also always a follower of what happened in sports politics in the background, whether it be rebel apartheid tours or media rights battles.
                                                      Hence picked up a load of useless information.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                        Ahhh the old GAA ban. The grandad (Jimmy)was a pretty important cog for Tipp to retain the All-Ireland back in the day but brought his brother (a priest) to a rugby international at aLandsdowne and was spotted by a Clare player and subsequently banned. Tipp tried to get the Clare lad done but couldn't as the only witness was Jimmy who's statement would be invalid as he was on a 3 month ban!
                                                        The great Jimmy Cooney??

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                          The great Jimmy Cooney??
                                                          One & only

Comment

Seems a terrible move alright and can't think of similar examples.
                                                            I guess they've covered their bases as to the legality of it, but hopefully they'll lose grant money because of it and have to roll back.
                                                            Could see European governments having an issue giving grant money to a sport which tries to stop kids playing other sports.
                                                            Details a still foggy, but I'm not sure if it'll apply to kids levels. Only to ranked athletes at international level. As I understand it, IJF is essentially Judo's FIFA.
                                                            To make it even more ridiculous, only last month it was announced that the UFC were going to sponsor the British Judo open.

Basically just a fan of nearly all sports, was absolutely fascinated by scoring systems and rules and why certain sports did things in particular ways. And was also always a follower of what happened in sports politics in the background, whether it be rebel apartheid tours or media rights battles.
                                                            Hence picked up a load of useless information.
                                                            I know the feeling. I often find myself down the wikipedia rabbithole, reading about random sports. Often combat sports.

Did you know that a style of folk wrestling originated in Ireland called "Collar and Elbow"?

Comment

I'm strongly considering going on a 3/4 month excursion come the start of Feb while I still have such opportunity. Basically every possible travel idea has been considered at some point (motorbiking SE Asia, backpacking Europe, camper van around Europe, travelling across States (buses/bike) and so on). Budget will be anything from 2k-10k so almost any option is open to me. Would anyone strongly point me in a certain direction?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                One & only
                                                                My own grandfather was banned around the same time and often joked that no one even noticed as they were all talking about Jimny Cooney!

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                  I'm strongly considering going on a 3/4 month excursion come the start of Feb while I still have such opportunity. Basically every possible travel idea has been considered at some point (motorbiking SE Asia, backpacking Europe, camper van around Europe, travelling across States (buses/bike) and so on). Budget will be anything from 2k-10k so almost any option is open to me. Would anyone strongly point me in a certain direction?
                                                                  South America will be cheap, safe-ish and not in the depths of winter at the start of Feb. Go there and tell us what it's like. Think Cardshark and valor can give good tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                    Can send an email to my club Adam and ask im owed a favour just need a guarantee youd take ticket or 2 if i could secure one.
                                                                    Cheers Mick, sent you a PM.

Comment

GAA, the old ban etc.

Glorious Nippon federations are always mad for controlling the "purity" of their sport.
                                                                      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

AIB shares were 10.3c yesterday morning.

Noonan says don't buy AIB shares.

Price now 7.3c.

€16bn gone.

Mad Ted?
                                                                        Last edited by Wombatman; 18-11-14, 11:42.
                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                          AIB shares were 10.3c yesterday morning.

Noonan says don't buy AIB shares.

Price now 7.3c.

€16bn gone.

Mad Ted?
                                                                          AIB's market cap is meaningless
                                                                          it's zero gone apart from the handful of loons stupid enough to buy in recently

Comment

2 k would be gone fierce quick 10k would be great depending where you go.
                                                                            South East Asia is great to be fair.
                                                                            Could do an itineray of flying into Bali travel through Indonesia Malyaysia, up through Thailand
                                                                            into Cambodia Laos and down the elpehant trunk like shape of Vietnam.

Youd be sick of rice and noodles and offers of Massages but would cover loads of ground
                                                                            see some wonderful sites possibly get the yellow fever love of asians and meet many nice people.

Not sure of the weather itinery would depend on hopefuly dodging monsoon.
                                                                            Could be done on a budget too but its nice to have the bit of extra cash for luxurys air con the odd time etc.
                                                                            Amotor bike trip sounds great but transport is so cheap id prefer just hire scooters where ever you are 5 euro a day and juice is very cheap.

Comment

Sigh. Every stock picking pub genius will tell you otherwise, but it's like any gambler they only tell you about the winners....
                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Basically what Sickpuppy says.

Maybe give Carlo a shout at Next stop who knows. He used to post here but is very happy to help anyone out with tips and advice.

Comment

Any idea what the thinking behind it was though? The value of these shares has little to do with Joe publics buying patterns.
                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Camper vanning and backpacking around Europe can be done anytime in smaller time chunks. Now most people don't have the balls/willingness to do it when they hit their 30s because it doesn't sounds right and their peers may think them odd for not doing a typical middle age/package type holiday but that's a you issue imo.

I'd definitely look to go further afield. I was speaking to a guy coaching rugby in Africa for 3 months in various countries (charity type thing with him paying travel costs, but food and accommodation were covered if very basic) which sounded very cool. I'd either go for Africa or South America myself and probably go for as long as possible so ways to lower costs or extend the funds would be important.

Get out and do a charity angle and then extend the stay, or pick up some teaching or other work for food/accommodation and in that way keep your daily spend low.
                                                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                      Any idea what the thinking behind it was though? The value of these shares has little to do with Joe publics buying patterns.
                                                                                      IF the NPRF valued their shareholding using the current share price we'd be overstating our assets in the NPRF. Therefore they have it independently assessed as being worth the square root of fuck all and keep the asset value lower on their books. Which is prudent and the only sensible thing to do.

As for fools/Joe Public and their money...

Comment

Tinkering in shed and made a down rigger for fishing. Need to work on presentation.
                                                                                        Wont get using it till next year when I likely have 'made' a few more things of which I have a few ideas

Cheaper than this and does same thing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cannon-Lake-...ds=down+rigger

Using old butt of rod and a bit of gear for a cheap downrigger

Comment

...
                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

any chance of Mary Lou McDonald turning up to the Dail today or has the Mairia Cahill story moved far enough away from the front page?

Comment

I'd do the Appalachian trail personally.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                                  any chance of Mary Lou McDonald turning up to the Dail today or has the Mairia Cahill story moved far enough away from the front page?
                                                                                                  was confirmed earlier she won't go into the chamber.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                      I'd do the Appalachian trail personally.
                                                                                                      Summer be fine feb be snow in North anyways . Was thinking of doing it but if I go for even a 3 hour walk ankle gets swollen no way could do the hiking . The great continental divide or northwest passage would be class . One would need to love solitude

Comment

Is there actually significant outright trading in the shares? Or is it just people buying indices getting screwed by the lack of liquidity?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                              was confirmed earlier she won't go into the chamber.
                                                                                                              I thought she was barred (or whatever the technical term is)?

Comment

AJ slowly evolving into his final form, the worlds most interesting man.

Comment

I thought she was barred (or whatever the technical term is)?
                                                                                                                  suspended, yes, which is why she won't go into the chamber

Comment

...

Comment

Is there interest in a Christmas IPBeers?
                                                                                                                      It'll give me the chance to show off my Hotspur Xmas gifted tshirt.

Either before Christmas or just after New Year if people prefer.
                                                                                                                      I know all dates won't suit all people as some are social butterflies, I'm happy to be the bad guy and just select a date rather than people feel put out if it goes to a vote - have no agenda has haven't anything lined up. Presume a Saturday which means December 13th or 20th.

If there is interest, I'll start a thread wherein posters can argue the merits of various venues - you must include pics of said venue and at least 3 reasons why your suggestion should be considered for the public vote.

Proposed plan of action would be:
                                                                                                                      • A pub, no poker. Few quiet pints
                                                                                                                      • Few louder pints
                                                                                                                      • Round of appletinis
                                                                                                                      • Few pints
                                                                                                                      • The deadparrots dance off
                                                                                                                      • Round of appletinis
                                                                                                                      • Groups break off, drift off, get lost and wander around the city for a bit trying to find somewhere to drink
                                                                                                                      • Few of us end up in burger king
                                                                                                                      • Someone goes to the Sporting and drops a monkey, someone goes and wins a ton.

If this post gets a few thanks, I'll start an interest/bantz thread.

Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 18-11-14, 19:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                        Maybe its the phrasing. That sounds on a quick read like she is choosing not to go in the chamber, rather than that she is not allowed into the chamber.
                                                                                                                        Well, she is choosing not to cause further disruption by trying to enter the chamber as was speculated in recent days.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                                          Well, she is choosing not to cause further disruption by trying to enter the chamber as was speculated in recent days.
                                                                                                                          but why would she try to enter the chamber if she wasn't allowed to enter th...?

unless she was trying to get maximum publicity out of this stunt and deflect attention away from uncomfortable stuff like covering up child rape. But that would be a cynical assumption, I'm sure she has all our best interests at heart.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X