This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    /tl;dr ...which makes it a shame that mdoug couldn't live off these principles and actively engage with the rest of the nightcrew instead of opting out of the game.

See what you did there.... Nice try but not biting. 7 out of 10 for effort though.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
      I actively avoided the BBV today assuming Lloyd would be one-manning it in the face of the absolutely bizarre debate in the Dail today.

I mean... i'm hardly gonna be accused of being pro-SF but that was the most blatant attempt at keeping a story alive to cause political damage I've ever seen. Such a co-ordinated effort too. The meeting on Friday to reveal the info to the Gardai timed just nicely to push the matters into next week too.

Can't blame SF for having a persecution complex really. Although I personally have no issue with them being hauled over the coals on this one the Government could do a better job of it frankly. It's all a bit too transparent.
      I had to lol at the uproar over this:

He wasn't wrong tbf

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

one hates to reduce our usual high level discussions to a weather-chat. But its rather bad out there.
          If people hate rain they should fuck of and live elsewhere imo!
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

one hates to reduce our usual high level discussions to a weather-chat. But its rather bad out there.
            Got soaked, put on spare trousers I grabbed when I saw the rain. Grand now, didn't need my spare shoes or socks.

Comment

Comment

Pretty sure I saw a lad building an ark on the way into work

Comment

Phoenix was saying in their most recent issue about how Indo have really overplayed things with their anti-SF rhetoric. 23 articles on it in one Sindo issue.

Actually they also gave a rather convincing argument in favour of Gerry's handling of the whole Maria Cahill thing (without arguing against Maria). Wish I hadn't thrown it in the bin, as would be worth scanning and putting up here..
                  This is what the Indo does though - the word will come down to 'Get X' and lo and behold, the next issue has 20 different articles slating X.

It works in reverse too. Remember their incessant sucking of Bertie's cock? That worked out well for all concerned. Rag.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Strong rumours that Newlands Cross up and over will be open before this weekend.

Hopefully last night was the last time I'll ever have to wasted there

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Innocent tourists will surely associate orange with the sun. Shorts, t-shirt, flip flops...wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Innocent tourists will surely associate orange with the sun. Shorts, t-shirt, flip flops...wtf?
                        A bit offensive to Unionists too.
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Phoenix was saying in their most recent issue about how Indo have really overplayed things with their anti-SF rhetoric. 23 articles on it in one Sindo issue.

Actually they also gave a rather convincing argument in favour of Gerry's handling of the whole Maria Cahill thing (without arguing against Maria). Wish I hadn't thrown it in the bin, as would be worth scanning and putting up here.

Now the Phoenix are known for being mildly pro-Republican, so there is that bias on their part, but it was a convincing argument in terms of the timeline of events, actions taken, and placed in the context of the IRA being the effective police.

Comment

Comment

sweet. how did you get that?
                                  It's available online to subscribers.

Comment

.it's like having a career built on the rigorous investigation of the seemingly pointless. (unless you love aluminium and its buddies).
                                    Ah heyor! Just got my first paper as good as accepted in an energy journal, unveiling the wonderous properties of manganese and how it can help split water using sunlight.

The reviewer comments were funny, two guys were pretty positive and the last guy denies that the whole field (40 years, thousands of papers) is real, and thinks it can't work. Editor basically said: ignore the crazy guy, address the other comments and you'll get in.
                                    Need to delay getting it published until next year though, as it falls under a grant that doesn't start until January.

Comment

Comment

Comment

One in the bag for 2015! What journal?

Have one coming up in Energy Policy subject to rigorous revisions involving rewriting the whole paper. Gather that's a decent journal.
                                          Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. Had targeted Nature Materials until I discovered someone else had done something quite similar, which killed the 'novel' aspect of it. Still, the one I got into has an impact factor near 5.5 so still decent. It was surprisingly easy tbh, I thought I'd be torn a new one because its my first energy paper and assumed there were gaping holes everywhere in it.

Comment

Yeah you can access PDFs of all the issues online for free once you're a print subscriber. I never really considered just reading the PDF version tbh. Has the added benefit of no ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                              Yeah you can access PDFs of all the issues online for free once you're a print subscriber. I never really considered just reading the PDF version tbh. Has the added benefit of no ads.
                                              Also going to be easier to avoid the whole third of it that is trying and failing miserably to be funny.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Comment

Bertie's Diary was just about the only part worth reading.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                      Just watched Left Behind with Nicholas Cage. The must see movie of 2014 with the most unexpected twist at the end. Can't praise it enough.

SPOILER
                                                      Sweet Jesus thats 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. The biggest pile of horse shit I have ever seen. I actually can't think of a worse movie at this minute.

Enjoy
                                                      it helps if you picture it this way
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Ffs, just to enhance the effect of the beautiful morning, fixed charge 80€ speeding notice in the post! Oh well, fair cop guv I suppose. Anyone know mick wallace's address?

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                          See what you did there.... Nice try but not biting. 7 out of 10 for effort though.
                                                          You've already lost
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Stephanie Roche nominated for the Puskas award:

Wouldn't it be mad if some kind of grassroots viral campaign resulted in her winning it?
                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Lots of weather going on.

Comment

It's just incredibly unfunny! No idea why they persist with that part of the mag, given the rest of it is so decent.
                                                                The same part in private eye usually throws up a good few lols, though kind of tired of them padding it out with revelations that x person holds a different opinion on x subject now than he did 10 years ago.
                                                                Last edited by Guest; 13-11-14, 11:21.

Comment

Interstellar worth a look? It's that or 71 for me today. Dream weather for an afternoon cinema trip
                                                                  Thought nightcrawler was decent
                                                                  Really want to see leviathan, solid looking flick about corruption in Russia with lots of vodka drinking, not a chance it'll be in a cinema here though

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                    Interstellar worth a look? It's that or 71 for me today. Dream weather for an afternoon cinema trip
                                                                    Thought nightcrawler was decent
                                                                    Really want to see leviathan, solid looking flick about corruption in Russia with lots of vodka drinking, not a chance it'll be in a cinema here though
                                                                    Tis on in the IFI.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                      Tis on in the IFI.
                                                                      Cheers but by here I meant bogland

Comment

Is there a way to track a parcel from England once it is handed over to An Post?

Comment

@zuutroy, hitch

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                          Is there a way to track a parcel from England once it is handed over to An Post?
                                                                          The parcel force tracking number should work in the annpost tracker however there is no guarantee that an post are the delivery agents. Try GLS also.
                                                                          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Royal Mail said it would be An Post, no luck on their site which is a pretty bad site. Thanks though.

Comment

71 is not brilliant, go see interstellar imo

Comment

On Tuesday I saw both a Polish film and a Russian film in the IFI. I am still bored.

Comment

Eating Chicken Nuggets with a curry flavour dip.

Wasn't convinced it was the best idea but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Comment

Eating Chicken Nuggets with a curry flavour dip.

Wasn't convinced it was the best idea but I couldn't have been more wrong.
                                                                                    Breakfast or lunch? Hi.
                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                      Breakfast or lunch? Hi.
                                                                                      It will cover both bases m8. Call it Brunch, but Brunch is all I am having.

Hi.

Comment

Royal Mail said it would be An Post, no luck on their site which is a pretty bad site. Thanks though.
                                                                                        Assume you tried this link: https://track.anpost.ie/TrackList.aspx

There's no real guarantee of the tracking number transferring across between systems but they are generally much better at that than they used to be.

I mention GLS because they are (or were) owned by parcel force and so pretty much always acted as the delivery agents here. Im not really sure about royal mail tracked (I assume it was sent "small packets" or similar which I dont think is a tracked service?).
                                                                                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

What did you order off the postie?
                                                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                            Assume you tried this link: https://track.anpost.ie/TrackList.aspx

There's no real guarantee of the tracking number transferring across between systems but they are generally much better at that than they used to be.

I mention GLS because they are (or were) owned by parcel force and so pretty much always acted as the delivery agents here. Im not really sure about royal mail tracked (I assume it was sent "small packets" or similar which I dont think is a tracked service?).
                                                                                            Yep, tried that. No luck. It left England on Tuesday so I presume I will get it later today or tomorrow, would be nice to know. Tried GLS, no luck with them either. Guess I will have to be patient.

Asked An Post on twitter and they haven't gotten back to me.

Asked Royal Mail and have been exchanging DM's with them about Postman Pat all morning.

That is the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                              What did you order off the postie?
                                                                                              Loads and loads of Darts stuff.

Comment

Dail voted for Mary Lou McDonald to be expelled for asking if there will be legislation pushed through tomorrow about Irish Water financing, is refusing to leave, and now the Ceann Comhairle is refusing to reenter the chamber. Who'll crack first?
                                                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                  Dail voted for Mary Lou McDonald to be expelled for asking if there will be legislation pushed through tomorrow about Irish Water financing, is refusing to leave, and now the Ceann Comhairle is refusing to reenter the chamber. Who'll crack first?
                                                                                                  Mary Lou wants the Captain of the House to physically remove her. It's a ploy to distract from yesterday (and a fucking good one too - CC was an eejit in falling for it).

If he has any sense the CC will suspend the Dail for the day and FG will spend the rest of the day planning their weekend strategy for keeping the Cahill story alive. Expect the following tomorrow:

1. Doherty goes to Gardai and then gives interview on News at One (radio and TV).

2. Varadkar or perhaps Doherty herself follow up on the Six-One news that night.

3. "New revelations" hit newspapers on Saturday

4. Big Sunday opinion pieces on SF in all the newspapers and Sunday review shows

5. Monday ??? (I have my theories here but I'll aftertime instead)
                                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Mary Lou wants the Captain of the House to physically remove her. It's a ploy to distract from yesterday (and a fucking good one too - CC was an eejit in falling for it).

If he has any sense the CC will suspend the Dail for the day and FG will spend the rest of the day planning their weekend strategy for keeping the Cahill story alive. Expect the following tomorrow:

1. Doherty goes to Gardai and then gives interview on News at One (radio and TV).

2. Varadkar or perhaps Doherty herself follow up on the Six-One news that night.

3. "New revelations" hit newspapers on Saturday

4. Big Sunday opinion pieces on SF in all the newspapers and Sunday review shows

Troika in the house on Wednesday, factor that into your plans.
                                                                                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Troika in the house on Wednesday, factor that into your plans.
                                                                                                      Not my plans. Troika visit will come on the same day Alan Kelly announces a package of reliefs for Irish Water customers and the story will get little or no attention.
                                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                        On Tuesday I saw both a Polish film and a Russian film in the IFI. I am still bored.
                                                                                                        There's a reason all those Easterners look perenially pissed-off. Waaaaaaay too much exposure to 'culture'.

Comment

Solid distraction ruse by ML. But what is she protesting again?

Gerry Adams, 13th Oct: "yes, I will be paying (water charges)"

Gerry Adams, 5th Nov: "I'm not paying (water charges)"

I suppose it's hard to remember what your position is on minor things like this when you're too busy trying to remember your story about protecting child rapists. When you, er, weren't in the IRA of course.

Comment

lol politics
                                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

...

Comment

SF up in the polls

Comment

Can someone check if the ryanair site is working for them? When I put in my dates and search for flights it doesn't return anything even though it should. It just says undefined. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                    Can someone check if the ryanair site is working for them? When I put in my dates and search for flights it doesn't return anything even though it should. It just says undefined. Weird.
                                                                                                                    working for me, which destination and ill try that?
                                                                                                                    Last edited by eamonhonda; 13-11-14, 14:15.
                                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Strewel the Newlands Fly Over won't be open until next week.

Good thread here for anyone interested

FYI I'm not complaining, just wanting to hear people thoughts on the subject.

Comment

My recurring thought as Interstellar progressed was how good South Parks piss take of it is going to be.

While it will probably clean up every visual effects/ cinematography award going the stroreyline itself never really drew me in and thought it was ultimately forgettable. Have said before that Sci fi adventures regularly leave me cold, such far fetched plots are probably the most difficult thing to get right in film, thought Guardians of the Galaxy was a rare exception earlier in the year, that was fairly on the money throughout unlike Nolans latest effort.
                                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                          working for me, which destination and ill try that?
                                                                                                                          Manchester or Liverpool on 2/3 May. It shows the days and cheapest price for the day but not individual flights. I booked a flight to Manchester earlier today as well. Weird. Using chrome on work computer.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X