Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a 60th birthday party. No amount of alcohol is going to make this fun.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Happy birthday dude
      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
        Cescy Goal.

that looks like a goal Arsenal would score

except Chelsea won the game, are top of the table after, and Cesc didn't get injured.
        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
          that looks like a goal Arsenal would score

except Chelsea won the game, are top of the table after, and Cesc didn't get injured.
          Yeah.

A player like Fabregas could make a team like Arsenal title challengers again. Wouldn't you say so?

Comment

Have a one plus invitation that needs to be used in the next hour.

Anyone?
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
              Have a one plus invitation that needs to be used in the next hour.

Anyone?
              How much is one?
              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Comment

Shocking from Jackson to screw up that conversion

Comment

What's happening there is the magnet is being heated above its Curie temperature, the temperature above which it loses its ferromagnetic properties. The reason it loses its ferromagnetic properties is that the thermal energy is sufficient to overcome the quantum effects the causes the spins of near neighbour electrons to align, resulting in the spins moving out of alignment and the Lorentz force no longer being sufficient to overcome the gravitational force.

Comment

I understood magnet.
                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          What's happening there is the magnet is being heated above its Curie temperature, the temperature above which it loses its ferromagnetic properties. The reason it loses its ferromagnetic properties is that the thermal energy is sufficient to overcome the quantum effects the causes the spins of near neighbour electrons to align, resulting in the spins moving out of alignment and the Lorentz force no longer being sufficient to overcome the gravitational force.
                          Nah it just melted.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                            I understood magnet.
                            I teach that stuff and I don't fully get the 'why' of magnetism. Instead of trying, I just show the class this video by Feynman about magnetism before I start!

This is the original upload of the piece. There is now a much higher quality version at https://tinyurl.com/ycphc432 Enjoy!See also Feynman MAGNETS EXTRA on...

Comment

What's happening above it science btw, if anybody was wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                What's happening above it science btw, if anybody was wondering.
                                Lol, silly woman, it was obviously magic.
                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                  How much is one?
                                  300euro for Ireland I'd say. I'm in Canada so dunno. Nearly done anway.
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Science, innit.
                                    fyp

Comment

I teach that stuff and I don't fully get the 'why' of magnetism. Instead of trying, I just show the class this video by Feynman about magnetism before I start!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM
                                      Watched so much of him, could listen to him all day.

In like final year of my Electronic Engineering somebody asked...what is electricity. Oh baby

Comment

Is thermal energy the most powerful energy then?
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          That would be positive energy.

That shit can get you anything in the universe if you just think it.
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Everybody knows gravity is the strongest

heh heh heh heh

Comment

Depends what you mean by powerful. All forms of energy eventually end up as heat.

Everybody knows gravity is the strongest

heh heh heh heh
                                              Its actually the weakest of the four fundamental forces.

Comment

Pretty cool

Welcome to BBC Earth, a place to explore the natural world through awe-inspiring documentaries, podcasts, stories and more.
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Watched so much of him, could listen to him all day.

In like final year of my Electronic Engineering somebody asked...what is electricity. Oh baby
                                                  I remember in Leaving Cert physics when doing the chapter on electricity the teacher said there is no actual strict definition of electricity. Is that right?
                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

I remember in Leaving Cert physics when doing the chapter on electricity the teacher said there is no actual strict definition of electricity. Is that right?
                                                    All I remember from my Junior Cert science classes is the teacher starting every class with a prayer

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFPe-DwULM
                                                      Isn't that the bit I posted yesterday
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        Sup SP? How are the Nigerians?

Comment

They will soon be dispatching all the money to me.
                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Mia is such a tomboy, lol . got her halloween costume today . couldnt wait to get into it! she is not too happy on the washing up gloves which cost me 4 quid! ideas welcome

Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Gold Rush is back via our cousins.

more of the same it looks like.

American idiots burning money while breaking machinery. Rinse /repeat

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                    Gold Rush is back via our cousins.

more of the same it looks like.

American idiots burning money while breaking machinery. Rinse /repeat
                                                                    Do any of them make money?
                                                                    Lads always seem desperate and just the logistics up there seem a nightmare.
                                                                    Cant have heavy plant running 24 hours without it breaking down fucking up.
                                                                    All the costs fuel machinery wages very hard make a few quid.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                      Mia is such a tomboy, lol . got her halloween costume today . couldnt wait to get into it! she is not too happy on the washing up gloves which cost me 4 quid! ideas welcome

Ha, that's a great costume!

Going as a 1980s wrestler this year, looking forward to unveiling it :-)

Comment

Comment

Where you at Andy, went looking for ya at the bar a few times.
                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                              Myself and Matt in the corner by the door if you're still around

Comment

Just back from watching that Gone Girl film, i taught it was good and not you normal kind of film so quite liked it

Also Today when i loaded up the laptop (yeah I know LOL laptop...Old person) i seems to have been infected with some ad checker or something like that it highlights words on my screen with bold and underlined with a green circle and an arrow coming out of it, if you hoover over the highlighted word so ad appears based on the word, anyone any suggestions on how to get rid of this, i have run AVG and restarted computer still there, i will be running it again, but any suggestions would be welcome

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                  Was making pate earlier today, and as it smells a bit like petfood in its in-between stages, the thought randomly occurred: do you feed your cats vegan?
                                                                                  Unlike dogs cats can't be fed a vegan diet without supplementation, taurine etc (bitta red bull has it). Testing it out over a while as a lot of cat foods in general have been withdrawn from the market for being bad for cats (making them ill/killing them) so it's hard to get a good feel for a food without research and history of it, also it is more expensive but I should be able to afford that now. I would never feed my cats store bought food though. I;'d like them to get good food, not muck. If a healthy vegan supplemented food is good for them then that's ideal. If not they can eat naturally.

This seems likea good vegan one, been trying it out:

Used by vets etc.
                                                                                  It's their favourite food, tied with their grain free palelol food.

Sure you can, as feynmann says above there are various different levels depending on who you are talking to and their understanding, but to ask how it works and what it is...4 years into a degree about it

Was only topped by LC honours french, a guy randomly asked....Miss can you actually speak french? She got so offended but he was just retarded (no malice), it was as if it just dawned on him, omg she can speak french.
                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 18-10-14, 23:38.

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                    Just back from watching that Gone Girl film, i taught it was good and not you normal kind of film so quite liked it
                                                                                    Did you watch it in Blanchardstown and sit in the middle of the front row of the premier seats? I was wondering if it was you (and the Asian woman with you was another clue) who sat down the other side of me and the missus.

Film comments:
                                                                                    SPOILER

I thought it was good for a lot of it, but the end was pretty crap.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                      All I remember from my Junior Cert science classes is the teacher starting every class with a prayer
                                                                                      Said teacher talked about religion the odd time too actually. She said she was one of the rare physicists that believed in God. Her reasoning was that nature just happens to get everything right. All the things science tries to solve is usually already 'solved' in nature.

We should have a prop bet. €1,000 per person. You can't have ever studied science after school, you have two months of study time, whoever gets highest in zuuts DCU January exams wins the loots.
                                                                                      I'm in. I rate my cramming and exam sitting skills quite highly. What's the exam, physics or something more specific? 2 months of study time is a bit high too, more like 3-4 days is a better indication I think?
                                                                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Sure you can, as feynmann says above there are various different levels depending on who you are talking to and their understanding, but to ask how it works and what it is...4 years into a degree about it

Was only topped by LC honours french, a guy randomly asked....Miss can you actually speak french? She got so offended but he was just retarded (no malice), it was as if it just dawned on him, omg she can speak french.
                                                                                        half way through 5th year LC English (honours since we seem to be specifying), the teacher asks someone to read a poem and then identify 3 adverbs. Your man pauses and chances three random words. The teacher asks a second person and the same thing happens. She then has a shocked look and goes "who actually knows what an adverb is?". I'd say only about 70% of the class put their hands up. Tbf, knowing what an adverb is isn't actually on the curriculum and I'd bet you could get an A1 in Honours English without knowing what one is
                                                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Those are fairly crap spoilers
                                                                                                  They are, but better safe than sorry.

Comment

Clocking in slightly early. 2am to 6am shift tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                                                                      Myself and Matt in the corner by the door if you're still around
                                                                                                      Still here yeah whoop whoop
                                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

half way through 5th year LC English (honours since we seem to be specifying), the teacher asks someone to read a poem and then identify 3 adverbs. Your man pauses and chances three random words. The teacher asks a second person and the same thing happens. She then has a shocked look and goes "who actually knows what an adverb is?". I'd say only about 70% of the class put their hands up. Tbf, knowing what an adverb is isn't actually on the curriculum and I'd bet you could get an A1 in Honours English without knowing what one is
                                                                                                        Why are word classifications important to know?

Genuine question.

Without the help of google I can't tell you what an adverb is, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to construct a sentence.

How would googling the definition of an adverb and laying down an imprint of it's meaning into my long term memory aid me in future sentence construction?
                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Sorry, wussed out.
                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                            Sorry, wussed out.
                                                                                                            That is what England does to you.

Comment

Final table of the crapshoot, cant say its a blowup when I'm chip leader with 16 bigs. First cash since 07 ship
                                                                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Haven't you got a dissertation to write?! No idea on the exam, but fairly certain zuut teaches Physics 101 to first year undergrads. It would be fair enough imo. First off there's the brilliance of learning how the world works, plus then the tension of (anonymised) marks released by zuut at end of Jan.

I'm deadly serious about this btw. As long as you've no formal science education since end of school (which I don't, not even since Junior Cert), then I'll race at least one person for €1,000 to sit a zuut physics 101 exam. If there's enough interest then we can have multiple 1-on-1s.

At the very worst we end up learning how the world works.
                                                                                                                Yeah been trying to work my way through a book this weekend...I guess that's what Sunday nights are for.

I don't think I'd be willing to put up €1,000 tbh. I would be interested in doing something just for the sake of the experiment of it. I'd probably have to make sure it was after my own exams too though. Looking at the DCU academic calendar, it looks like yer exams take place in January? If so, this could actually be a runner!

Access to a course outline and past exam papers 4 days prior to sitting the exam, I'd be willing to bet I'd definitely pass. How high a percentage I could obtain, I'm not really sure.

Also, zuutroy might comment how advanced the course is, any course not requiring previous module completion should be graaaand.

Why are word classifications important to know?

Genuine question.

Without the help of google I can't tell you what an adverb is, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to construct a sentence.

How would googling the definition of an adverb and laying down an imprint of it's meaning into my long term memory aid me in future sentence construction?
                                                                                                                they're not really that important (as I mentioned) but it is sorta ironic that you could be studying a subject at Leaving Cert level and not know something that'd be perceived as basic information that you should've learned in Primary School. I also can't remember if it was adverb or adjective, but I suspect it was actually adjective. Not knowing what an adjective is sounds a bit extreme (regardless of the usefulness of knowing what an adjective is).
                                                                                                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Pubs should really be 24 hour
                                                                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Pubs should really be 24 hour
                                                                                                                    They will be when we build 17 new hospitals.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                                      They will be when we build 17 new hospitals.
                                                                                                                      Anybody watching Gotham?
                                                                                                                      Worth giving it a go

Comment

Strange to wake up to people wanting to voluntarily take an exam! My January exam is just basic physics including mechanics, rotational motion, and thermodynamics and tbh anyone could learn it pretty easily.
                                                                                                                        The descriptor is here: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_co...&subcode=PS122

The solid state physics course on the other hand is much tougher and it would be pretty funny to try and tackle it with no physics beforehand.
                                                                                                                        Descriptor: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_co...&subcode=PS204

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                          No, yours was another bit from the same interview.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X