Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multivitamins are a waste of space as you are just throwing everything at your body, often things you don't need, and things you shouldn't be getting too much of either.

However targeted supplements have great value. Take B12 for instance, as you get older you will generally stop absorbing it as much...to the point that it is recommended that everybody over 50 supplement it, as there is no way a lot of people can get enough from any food. You can actually end up absorbing ~0% of what you intake depending on your condition and B12 deficiency is pretty devastating.

It's a case of where the supplement is far better than food, mine has 17000% RDA, I'm pretty sure I'll absorb enough. (Also RDAs are retarded, outdated and useless at this stage, they are essentially a minimum and things can affect you so that eating that much you do not get that minimum)
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-10-14, 13:47.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
      Hope you don't have any waltzing-related injuries.
      Just priapism.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
        HAve you got this?
        Yep

It's really quite good
        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
          Just priapism.
          didnt think ladies got tham
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Multivitamins are a waste of space as you are just throwing everything at your body, often things you don't need, and things you shouldn't be getting too much of either.

However targeted supplements have great value. Take B12 for instance, as you get older you will generally stop absorbing it as much...to the point that it is recommended that everybody over 50 supplement it, as there is no way a lot of people can get enough from any food. You can actually end up absorbing ~0% of what you intake depending on your condition and B12 deficiency is pretty devastating.

It's a case of where the supplement is far better than food, mine has 17000% RDA, I'm pretty sure I'll absorb enough. (Also RDAs are retarded, outdated and useless at this stage, they are essentially a minimum and things can affect you so that eating that much you do not get that minimum)
            get that shit from cereal yo
            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
              Yep

It's really quite good
              Did you get it from the Cousins?

Comment

riboflavin is good shit too

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                  riboflavin is good shit too
                  That's a bee vitamin.

Get it from Manuka honey.
                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Did you get it from the Cousins?

I did a swedish cousin called Tor

Comment

Anyone in the market for the iPhone 6? It's on the three network.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          I did a swedish cousin called Tor
                          Can you send me details if you don't mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                            Not a fan of it? Was giving it a tryout in the Apple Store in Netherlands last week and thought it felt really uncomfortable to hold. Apps look very old-fashioned on the new IOS8 too - whatever that new Android style is called is miles ahead in the fashion stakes. Camera is phenomenal though.
                            Brother has one and he loves it, I'm just happy with what I have, that being said if it doesn't sell this week I'll prob use it and give this Fone to my young fella.

Comment

Can you send me details if you don't mind?
                              check the usual spot

Comment

1. Vitamins and minerals in supplements are generally poorly absorbed making them poor value for money imo especially if you shop in H&B where they have extra markup.

2. Agree with the point V was making with one addendum. The unhealthy people would still be there being unhealthy even if the food pyramid was corrected. But what he says is true the food pyramid is a load of wank

3. Small regular meals dont "keep up the metabolism" any more than eating normally does. Also Intermittent fasting is a fad that will pass. If it helps people stay under their daily calories I'm all for it

Comment

No Contract

One of a series of videos we shot for Independent TD Mick Wallace at a public meeting in Wexford in relation to water charges.

Mick Wallace's guide to getting around Water Charges.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                      3. Small regular meals dont "keep up the metabolism" any more than eating normally does. Also Intermittent fasting is a fad that will pass. If it helps people stay under their daily calories I'm all for it
                                      fwiw, that's the point I was making. The focus was on the 'diet' itself as opposed to the actual science behind the food.
                                      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Hotspur if you are still looking for a yoga place
                                        http://www.theyogahub.ie/
                                        Was on that website the other day alright.

)
                                        Are you taking B12 supplements after getting your blood checked or as a precaution because you're a vegan?

@ Bubbleking, let's say I didn't want to go to my GP and didn't want to pay €250 to those general health screenings with 95% of stuff I don't want done, are there any other options for getting blood work done? Checking for anaemia type shenanigans.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                            Was on that website the other day alright.

Are you taking B12 supplements after getting your blood checked or as a precaution because you're a vegan?

@ Bubbleking, let's say I didn't want to go to my GP and didn't want to pay €250 to those general health screenings with 95% of stuff I don't want done, are there any other options for getting blood work done? Checking for anaemia type shenanigans.
                                            To answer both your questions in one fell swoop. I asked my doc could I get bloods done, they said yes and it was so, done pretty fast. Not sure how much it would cost you as it was free for me (medical card welfare scum).

Everything was perfect, they were fawning over my cholesterol for some reason so that felt good. Only told them I have haemochromatosis and am vegan afterwards. They did say that B12 deficiency is very common in their experience.

So it is merely precautionary, you also have to wait quite a while to see the effects of B12 deficiency and I do have fortified foods as well, but to be sure I'd like to take them. Bering 10 years vegatarian and having good scores leads me to believe I'll be fine.
                                            Even if I was gettin "100% RDA" I wouldn't be pleased with that tbh and you can have as much B12 as you want due to water solubility, I suppose yearly blood tests wouldn't be a bad idea either. (Also they taste really nice and are cheap enough)

I'm also thinking of going on these again omega 3 + d3 for similar reasons.
                                            Include Omega-3 Supplements in your daily diet. Click here to shop Vegetology© today. ✓100% Vegetarian & Vegan Approved ✓FREE Delivery Over £25.

I also got my iron checked on the spot for free at one of those health expos in the RDS, if you really wanna cheapskate it
                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-10-14, 16:31.

Comment

Doing pork tonight as well - pork fillet.

Thinking about slicing it in half and rolling it up around some cheese, sliced peppers and maybe porridge oats or something funky like that, before roasting it!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                Doing pork tonight as well - pork fillet.

Thinking about slicing it in half and rolling it up around some cheese, sliced peppers and maybe porridge oats or something funky like that, before roasting it!
                                                Stick some sausage meat stuffing inside it and wrap it in bacon. Eat with a side of Steak.

Meat.

Comment

A general multi vit as a cure all doesn't make sense to me. But I can't see the harm in supplementing the likes of Vit C and D and making myself piss out what the body has no interest in using.

The problem, same as it ever was, with these conversations is the extreme nature of them. Did the study saying multi vits have no positive health effect have a control? Did it work in underlying contextual factors related to income level / education / etc? How does it tally with research demonstrating correlations between natural bodily functions and intake for something indisputably positive like vitamin C?

I'm do very tired reading health related studies or theories on items placed in independent vacuums of each other.

- exercise;
                                                  - food;
                                                  - sleep;
                                                  - supplements;

They all play their part. In the same way that:

- weight;
                                                  - strength;
                                                  - cardiovascular fitness;
                                                  - stress levels;

Are rarely completely on massively variant parts of the scale for the bulk of the population. Yes, there are really unhealthy people out there who maintain a healthy weight and there are overweight people who are relatively able but there's usually consistencies present.

Yeah, bit rambly, but there is so much bollocks out there. 'It's all diet' - no it fucking isn't, train with intensity five times a week and you'll progress no matter your diet. 'Nothing matters if you don't sleep 8 hours minimum a night'. 'You MUST exercise like this'. And now 'vitamins are pointless'.

Sigh.
                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

A newbie might think they stumbled onto IrishPorkBoards in error.
                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

TWIN PEAKS IS BEING RELAUNCHED OMGWTF

Original creators David Lynch and Mark Frost will again executive produce the limited series of new episodes for the iconic cult TV show.
                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                        Looking to buy a decent 2nd hand car. Who was the man to speak to around these parts again?
                                                        Not on here, but Right Price Cars have probably one of the biggest selection I've seen in a while and they are pretty decent on price - Can bargain with them a bit also

Comment

Everything was perfect, they were fawning over my cholesterol for some reason so that felt good. Only told them I have haemochromatosis and am vegan afterwards.
                                                          You're the first person I've heard of outside of my family to have haemochromatosis. Must be a seriously rare disease.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

go to A&E complaining of chest pains

prob easier/quicker to go to the GP though

Comment

METALMAN
                                                              BEER
                                                              icky on rte 1 now nationwide.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

Yeah, bit rambly, but there is so much bollocks out there. 'It's all diet' - no it fucking isn't, train with intensity five times a week and you'll progress no matter your diet. 'Nothing matters if you don't sleep 8 hours minimum a night'. 'You MUST exercise like this'. And now 'vitamins are pointless'.

Sigh.
                                                                vitamins / supplements arent pointless but they are, for the most part, poor value for money especially if you can get them from food anyway.

with regards to progressing regardless of diet well that depends on what your goals are and what you mean by progressing. No doubt you will improve from baseline from both a health and fitness point of view but you are definitely slowing your progress and capping your potential if you ignore the diet side of things. Ditto with the amount of sleep you get but plays a smaller role imo

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                  METALMAN
                                                                  BEER
                                                                  I had one on Saturday, small world. Tastes like metal.

Catch it at 8:00pm on the rte+1.
                                                                  Icky looks taller on telly.

Comment

Also had one. Told Icky it was horrible but it wasn't. Was just kind of bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                      METALMAN
                                                                      BEER
                                                                      In Phil grimses pub too. Great place

Comment

So the small 'craft' beer companies outsource the brewing to bigger cunts. mmm

Comment

name change request or icarus to 'him off telly'

Comment

So the small 'craft' beer companies outsource the brewing to bigger cunts. mmm
                                                                            I was talking to a chap that works for Metal Man in a pub one day; he was drinking Heineken

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                              I was talking to a chap that works for Metal Man in a pub one day; he was drinking Heineken
                                                                              Probably like a gynecologist going home to the wife after a long day.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                                  You're the first person I've heard of outside of my family to have haemochromatosis. Must be a seriously rare disease.
                                                                                  My family doctor told me he was '99.9% sure' I had that a few years back.

Some sweat while I waited on the bloodwork frantically reading up on what a debilitating mofo this particular malady was. Didn't have it obv.

Same guy was also certain our daughter had asthma. She had tonsillitis.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Boardwalk is piss weak this season. Kelly Macdonald is beginning to tilt the bejesus out of me. Just get on with killing him off FFS.
                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ship one Californian driving licence
                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Also spotted Deadlyparrot waiting to sample the free beer at the RDS

Comment

Where is RTE1 +1 on sky?
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                            Boardwalk is piss weak this season. Kelly Macdonald is beginning to tilt the bejesus out of me. Just get on with killing him off FFS.
                                                                                            Forced into this position because the world was too stupid to tune into its previous brilliance.

Comment

Can't post, busy being fabulous on Primetime.
                                                                                              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                Proper storm last night too. Resulting in the inevitable 'tree on the line' to maroon thousands of DART commuters.
                                                                                                How did you get to work? Was pondering this on the bus home.

Comment

Whats yer Ello usernames please peeps

Comment

How did you get to work? Was pondering this on the bus home.
                                                                                                    this post may have provided a subtle clue
                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                                                                        Also spotted Deadlyparrot waiting to sample the free beer at the RDS
                                                                                                        I'm famous

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                          Whats yer Ello usernames please peeps
                                                                                                          sending it to you via yo

Comment

sending it to you via yo
                                                                                                            No Yo has Kev Kehoe just Ello

Comment

Don't really need another social network site to fail shirley?
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Do we all have to do things on the tv now or what?
                                                                                                                Actually a lot of people have it, big chunk of the population, as it was evolutionary advantageous at the time. They just don't know they have it here as they are not tested. It's not really a disease to me, I absorb more iron...so don't need to eat much iron, so quite handy for me.

Just have to watch out if you are older and gobbling red meat and such.

Comment

If anybody wants to match me on Cuddlr I'm up for that shit.

Comment

Do we all have to do things on the tv now or what?

Actually a lot of people have it, big chunk of the population, as it was evolutionary advantageous at the time. They just don't know they have it here as they are not tested. It's not really a disease to me, I absorb more iron...so don't need to eat much iron, so quite handy for me.

Just have to watch out if you are older and gobbling red meat and such.
                                                                                                                    Do you not have to get blood taken regularly or did you in the past? I don't have it but it runs in my family (dad and few uncles). My dad used to have to get a litre of blood taken every 2-3 months but that's no longer the case.

Comment

First time buying clothes online there. Was looking for a jumper. Checked out 11 items later. They do look good though!

Comment

Do you not have to get blood taken regularly or did you in the past? I don't have it but it runs in my family (dad and few uncles). My dad used to have to get a litre of blood taken every 2-3 months but that's no longer the case.
                                                                                                                        I have never had to (iron levels are what they should be), never will if I continue to eat properly.
                                                                                                                        Doctor said it was quite advantageous to be a vegetarian/vegan with it anyway. He reommended it to me but I already was one haha.

It's more common that it will affect older people badly, and he probably found out much later than me too. In your fathers case it could have been deadly, which is why more people should find out if they have it or not.

There are even drugs to take these days instead of blood letting.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 06-10-14, 20:22.

Comment

If anybody wants to match me on Cuddlr I'm up for that shit.
                                                                                                                          ...hope to find you on tinder or pof...:-)...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X