This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Young fellow out of the blue yesterday was telling me about some element called 118 I think, he seemed amazed that an element could be synthesised completely...I was amazed he knew about it...weirdo...
    This too shall pass.

Comment

US commentary it is so.

Comment

Switching Day

Health Insurance:
        Tied into it for the next year due to laziness, but is €2,000 a year (net of tax) with VHI about right for two adults and a kid, or can it be vastly cheaper with an alternative provider while still offering the ability to jump the queue over poorer sick
        Seems high, pretty sure I pay less (Laya) for 2 adults\3 kids. Fairly convinced that having kids on the policy is burning money.

Notice you don't mention accomodation or transport? Surely potential there. Childcare too.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Would anyone (maybe you after yesterday's informative chat) know - is the periodic table 'done' or is there theoretically a whole mass of new elements that could be added? wiki suggests it might be, but isn't really clear. If so, how do we know we've captured all the possible elements?
            I asked him that yesterday actually....something about radiation types and noble gasses...could be way off though...the zuut would know.
            Last edited by oleras; 26-09-14, 08:02.
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Surfing skyscanner last night as you do and and got a result for Shannon to Majorca first week of Nov for 22.50 e/w, all in 91 euro for 2 adults to fly return for 5 days....booked the shit out of that !
              This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Would anyone (maybe you after yesterday's informative chat) know - is the periodic table 'done' or is there theoretically a whole mass of new elements that could be added? wiki suggests it might be, but isn't really clear. If so, how do we know we've captured all the possible elements?
                  Everything with atomic number over 92 is unstable, has a very short half life and will quickly decay. In theory you can make whatever element you want I suppose, but it will decay quicker than you'll be able to measure if its there or not.
                  Jim Al'khalili did a great history of the periodic table on BBC4 called Chemistry: A Volatile History. Worth checking out if its still available to watch.

Comment

Comment

Hitch don't bother with a Slow cooker. It will end up in the Press beside the Juicer and Nespresso machine.

Comment

UPC is 200mb though. No problem paying for that type of speed especially with the amount of streaming we do due to Chromecast.
                        There isn't a lot of value in the 200 package if you are using WiFi all the time. Swap back to the 120 package with the cheapest phone offer for 44pm. I stream sky go on this and its more than enough band width.
                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Comment

Nespresso is used every day, but there are three juicers in the press!

Hadn't realised the 120mb was unlimited. Sweet. Will do that so.
                            I think they did away with unlimited. There seems to be a 500gb per month cap (or a stupidly low cap if you want to pay less)
                            May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                              Hitch don't bother with a Slow cooker. It will end up in the Press beside the Juicer and Nespresso machine.
                              Nespresso is used every day, but there are three juicers in the press!

Hadn't realised the 120mb was unlimited. Sweet. Will do that so.
                              Slow cooker is the nuts.
                              Curries and stews/casseroles/stroganoff etc. don't need the best cuts of beef because it comes out tender after 6-8 hours of slow cooking anyway.

We use it a lot, season a couple of breasts of turkey, fry them for a couple of minutes to seal and throw them into the slow cooker with a cup of chicken stock for 5-6 hours and you have healthy sandwich/wrap meat for a few days. we always have some in the fridge, we don't buy ham or other processed meat anymore.

Comment

Switching Day

Have the annual switching day coming up, where I check if I'm paying cheapest for all bills and if not switch or cajole existing providers into dropping their prices.

Broadband:
                                Have the €80 a month 200mb broadband + 200 channels deal with UPC. We don't watch tv, especially now we have Chromecast, so going to ring them and switch to 200mb broadband only. Says its €52 a month for broadband only - is that the best price they'll offer or is it worth negotiating?

Electricity:
                                Switched to Airtricity last year as they offered a 7% discount for a year on ESB prices. If I ring them and say do this for another year or we're gone is there a decent likelihood of them following through, or is it best to avoid all that and just switch to whoever is offering a similar discount?

Mobile:
                                It's €20 a month with 3, which is obviously unbeatable with the 4g (practically) unlimited. But I normally never use up more than a €5 of the €20 credit as everyone is on 3 so its free calling, and can use Google Hangouts for calling when the free calling expires after 30 days. The issue is that the free internet expires after 30 days, when I'd happily last two months on the €20 credit if it wasn't for this. Is there some sort of decent add-on internet package you can buy from your leftover credit to get you through the second month? Seem to remember someone here mentioning it, but can't see it on their awful website. How do you buy it?

Health Insurance:
                                Tied into it for the next year due to laziness, but is €2,000 a year (net of tax) with VHI about right for two adults and a kid, or can it be vastly cheaper with an alternative provider while still offering the ability to jump the queue over poorer sick people in the event of catastrophe?

Banking:
                                If anyone else is thinking of saving money on a big switching day, you've really got to switch to PTSB. Can't understand the mentality of staying with BoI and throwing away €130 a year on nothing. Mention my name and they'll give you free banking if you deposit more than €1,500 a month.

Other:
                                Cigs and spending money on convenience foods that just aren't very nice but are, well, convenient, are easily the biggest leaks. Obv switching to vaping when the Russian cigs run out, but need to put a lot more thought into the household food strategy. Thinking of getting a slow cooker with a timer so food can be cooking away while we're out of the house and then there's enough left over for lunch the next day. The Tefal slow cooker seems like the winner in terms of slow cookers as can fill it up in the morning and has a timer to switch on whenever you want?
                                When I used to pay for my phone (unveiled brag) you could just buy net for a month for like 5e when your month was up. i'd easily get 2 months out of 20 back then. Probably the same now. They have little add ons.

Just cook any dish and you can put on enough for several days. If you buy tupperware you can do this several times and freeze it, have a stock of curries or whatever you want on hand then.

There will be more, not to mention anti-elements.

Adebisi shank were unreal in whelans last night, their last ever Irish gig will be tonight there again. I'd go again but I'm going to a play.
                                If you ahve never seen them, go along. Sorry for potato quality:

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Just found this vid mocking a mac user on boards from ages ago, he was not happy haha

snowy thought he was thanking a lovely post...muahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                  That bridge they are building is flying along, I guess it will only be another few months before its open.
                                  What I can't understand is how the are they going to fit six lanes of traffic onto it. It must be some sort of optical illusion but it looks to me like you could barely squeeze four lanes onto it.

Sooner the better it opens, it will be worth a good half an hour a day for me
                                  they hope to have it opened at the end of october three months before its due to open,

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                  I assumed that's the first of two bridges.
                                  no there only one bridge with 6 lanes

Comment

UPC is 200mb though. No problem paying for that type of speed especially with the amount of streaming we do due to Chromecast.
                                    Hola Senór Hitch - Hiker,

then

in the 'My account balance' segment,
                                    Buy Add-ons

prob ask you to log in with your number and PW.

If you get past this stage ( )
                                    you should be able to buy 500mb for €4.99, multiple times.
                                    Except when you have <€6 for some reason, the crafty fuckers.
                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Frossach View Post
                                      they hope to have it opened at the end of october three months before its due to open,

no there only one bridge with 6 lanes
                                      Thats great news, it does look like they could make that sort of date. It will make some difference over the worst of the winter months.

So if they finish ahead of time the company get a bonus or at least steer clear of any penalties but how does an early delivery work for the lads working on the site?
                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Just got two premium tickets for the match
                                          Her sky-ness
                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Thats great news, it does look like they could make that sort of date. It will make some difference over the worst of the winter months.

So if they finish ahead of time the company get a bonus or at least steer clear of any penalties but how does an early delivery work for the lads working on the site?
                                            sorry don't know that, but you could ask here

Okay lads, we're gonna give this thread another go. Please try and make sure it doesn't go the way the last thread went! Newlands Cross Location:

Comment

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

On episode #4 of UFC 178 Embedded, Fight Week in Las Vegas is in full swing as the fighters juggle media duties, training and relaxing. Debuting lightweight ...

McGregor at 1.40

Dustin Poirier gets into Conor Mcgregor's face at the UFC 178 media day face offs as Poirier sticks his finger in Conor's face and Conor just smirks at him a...

Comment

The Contractor typically wouldn't get an early finish bonus but they would have tendered a set price to complete the job in X months, so if they do it in X-3 months then there's a big saving for them in their prelim costs (Staff wages/Site set up/Elec/Water cost etc) which are a significant cost in any large project.

The management might be on an early finish bonus, but it would be unusual for the guys on the ground to see any of it.

Comment

Making a difference
                                                  The Constitution makes it clear: The people of Ireland, as the originators of Bunreacht Na hÉireann and the creators of the State itself, are the sole and sovereign power from which all Government powers derive.All powers of government, legislative, executive and judicial, derive, under God, from the people, whose right it is to designate the rulers of the State and, in final appeal, to decide all questions of national policy, according to the requirements of the common good.Article 6.1 Bunreacht Na hÉireannThe creation of Irish Water and the divesti...
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Hard not to enjoy seeing Poulter getting rammed after watching him pleasure himself for an hour last night in a documentary about none other than Ian Poulter.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                      Hard not to enjoy seeing Poulter getting rammed after watching him pleasure himself for an hour last night in a documentary about none other than Ian Poulter.
                                                      Ah Poulter is Ryder cup gold! He brings the fist pumping X factor

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                        HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

On episode #4 of UFC 178 Embedded, Fight Week in Las Vegas is in full swing as the fighters juggle media duties, training and relaxing. Debuting lightweight ...

McGregor at 1.40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PzlSkxHlD0
                                                        haha yer man is so pissed and the irish dude is practically laughing, and gets a pat on the ass as he leaves.

Do these things be streamed online?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                          Adebisi shank were unreal in whelans last night, their last ever Irish gig will be tonight there again. I'd go again but I'm going to a play.
                                                          If you ahve never seen them, go along. Sorry for potato quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt_AVEAfHNU
                                                          Yeah they were brilliant. Shame they're calling it a day. One of the most unique modern Irish bands. Highly recommended tonight for anyone into that kind of thing.

Also Girl Band playing Button Factory on Saturday night should be all shades of awesome.

Comment

Laughed more at this than at anything in ages

Scrotal Recall

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                              haha yer man is so pissed and the irish dude is practically laughing, and gets a pat on the ass as he leaves.

Do these things be streamed online?
                                                              Yeah I'll stick up the fight tomorrow night. Won't be til about 4am though.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                Ah Poulter is Ryder cup gold! He brings the fist pumping X factor
                                                                He's a complete and utter fucking tit.

Comment

He's a complete and utter fucking tit.
                                                                  He's a legend
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE

McGregor at 1.40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PzlSkxHlD0
                                                                    i would laugh so hard if he got knocked out.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                      i would laugh so hard if he got knocked out.
                                                                      Is he fighting this weekend?
                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                        Is he fighting this weekend?
                                                                        Tomorrow night Vegas time.

Comment

Any nice coastal spots down around Wexford/Waterford to bring the missus on a last minute weekend trip?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                            Any nice coastal spots down around Wexford/Waterford to bring the missus on a last minute weekend trip?
                                                                            Ardmore
                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Some diabolical golf in the morning fourballs.
                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                on or around the hook head peninsula. if it's good weather it's phenomenal. If it's seriously bad weather it's unbelievable. Dunbrody house springs to mind.

We stayed around Fethard on sea which was really lovely.

Comment

If you're headed towards Hook Head, Dunbrody Abbey & the JFK Arboretum are both worth a glance if the weather is worth being outdoors for.

Some nice beaches down there, Booley Bay is good if you're braving the autumn sea.

Aldridge Lodge near Duncannon / Arthurstown is a great spot that my folks and V harp on about frequently.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                      Some diabolical golf in the morning fourballs.
                                                                                      I know it is windy but Poulter not having a birdie. Watson and Simpson Shocking and as for the last match US losing 3 holes to par, great finish by them but the standard is shocking.

Needs to break up Garcia and McIlroy.

Gallagher and Simpson Should Benched until Sunday.
                                                                                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Golf stream?
                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                          Golf stream?
                                                                                          Think GAB posted one earlier
                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

hmmmmmmm, celebrating the apparent 'victoy' over Irish water in a place up the road from me last night

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Seafields hotel is lovely, down near Gorey. Beach, nice spa with jetted pools etc.
                                                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                hmmmmmmm, celebrating the apparent 'victoy' over Irish water in a place up the road from me last night

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
                                                                                                ah heyor.
                                                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater
                                                                                                  Sometimes I think it would be wonderful to be that dumb, strolling through life oblivious to reality.

Comment

Sometimes I think it would be wonderful to be that dumb, strolling through life oblivious to reality.
                                                                                                    That's why you think you are wonderful at WW.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                      ah heyor.
                                                                                                      Hi zod
                                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                                                                        Hi zod
                                                                                                        hi2u
                                                                                                        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

I think I will have cider for tea tonight
                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                            I think I will have cider for tea tonight
                                                                                                            Druids or linden village?
                                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

...was looking at the odds of the McGregor fight on Paddy power, and they currently have McGregor at 1/3...I remember when the fight was announced that Poirier was slight favourite in most places...did anything spectacular happen or is it just hype, would be seriously tempted to lump on Poirier at 9/4 when he was an odds on shot two months ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                Druids or linden village?
                                                                                                                Posh stuff:

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                                  ...was looking at the odds of the McGregor fight on Paddy power, and they currently have McGregor at 1/3...I remember when the fight was announced that Poirier was slight favourite in most places...did anything spectacular happen or is it just hype, would be seriously tempted to lump on Poirier at 9/4 when he was an odds on shot two months ago...
                                                                                                                  5/2 on betvictor.
                                                                                                                  The opponent is ranked 5th in the world.
                                                                                                                  conspiracy theory close match gone to points with Mcgregor being a huge ufc draw could possible get a decision biased in his favour.

Comment

Is the fight at 4am or the event starts? Could they move it a bit earlier please.
                                                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                                                      5/2 on betvictor.
                                                                                                                      conspiracy theory close match gone to points with Mcgregor being a huge ufc draw could possible get a decision biased in his favour.
                                                                                                                      ...5th in the world, impressive didn't know that...just checked there, out of his victories 16 were knockouts or submission...suggests if we wins it won't go to judges... I could imagine a bit of bias towards McGregor with judges, but 5/2 looks irresistible...I wonder might it drift further tomorrow...thanks...

Comment

What a putt Rory

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                                                          5/2 on betvictor.
                                                                                                                          The UFC rankings mean sweet fuck all. They are decided by about 30 journos.

They both have loads of first round finishes between them. McGregor is a horrible match for Poirier. Can't see it going the distance unless they are bolloxed after the first round and hump each other for the next 2.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X