The Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Future?

In mid June, the 3 years of hosting that were paid for last time expires. The options are:

1. Renew current package. This is expensive, the decent priced deal last time not on offer this time. So far.
    2. Downgrade current package with current host. Probably some DNS (multiple versions of the site) issues, will still be more expensive that we'd like. Uncertain performance.
    3. Change host. We'd get better value elsewhere as a new customer, but still would have some DNS issues for a few days probably, and uncertain performance.
    4. Stay as a forum but brand new database. Would allow for a much smaller hosting package needed, and much cheaper.
    5. Basically disband IPB as a forum, and replace it entirely with the likes of discord. Probably fits well for our size, but it would be different and weird for older people (which is most of us these days).
    6. Totally basic and set up a whatsapp group for anyone interested.
    7. Something else ??????? Profit.

Thoughts people? It is no secret that this isn't really a poker site at all anymore. It is a collection of mostly former poker (sort of) players.

Some sobering enough stats:
    Unique posters since:
    30/04/23 = 91
    29/08/23 = 76
    31/10/23 = 73
    29/01/24 = 63​

In the 6 month stats, 20/73 have posted fewer than 10 times. I know people have in the past offered to contribute, and for any of the first few we might look to see what we might garner from those sort of offers. I don't like asking for money though, and don't want to ask for it, and to come up far short of the total needed either. If we could get a similar deal to the last one whereby it'd be $1700 or so for 3 years, between admins and some crowdfunding we could probably manage that for 3 years as the standstill option. The posting history (if that is important to people) would probably stay intact for the first 3 options, but be gone for the others.

That’s a great summary Dom.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Is that €1700 pa or for another 3 years

Comment

I don’t have an answer but poker is seeing its biggest boom in over 20 years i would say.

Bonnington and JP getting good numbers most evenings of the week and the IPT doing the same countrywide. The Monster this weekend has a 200k guarantee for only €150 entry (incl reg) and will likely smash it.

Is there a way to leverage off this?

Comment

Whats your sense yourself Dom? (and Lloyd etc also). As in would ye have a preferred option?
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Happy to contribute. Would be a better return than the annual Cheltenham donations.

I wonder though is there a way to build up new users. Like the biggest growth industry in Ireland right now is alt-right. Could we lean into that a bit?

Or more practically , could the likes of JP etc help. An extra 1k chips for having posted on IPB in the last week and then see if people stick around. That in turn would then benefit JP (etc) as a community building exercise that benefits their future promotional efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
              I don’t have an answer but poker is seeing its biggest boom in over 20 years i would say.

Bonnington and JP getting good numbers most evenings of the week and the IPT doing the same countrywide. The Monster this weekend has a 200k guarantee for only €150 entry (incl reg) and will likely smash it.

Is there a way to leverage off this?
              Forums are a thing of the past, is the bottom line. What used to be on forums in terms of event details from organisers is on Facebook / Twitter; what used to be on here in terms of reporting from live events has become professionalised and is on blogs; what used to be on here in terms of strategy and community for active players is on WhatsApp or Discord.

It’s worth noting that the likes of Danny Maxwell leveraged the excellent work he used to do here in terms of event updates and photos into something much bigger. We had a couple of people who used to post on here or use it for event details go on to really make it in poker. But that is the past - it isn’t going to be repeated.

What we have is a core bunch of people who like chatting to each other about whatever random stuff they enjoy. We probably need to be realistic around how that best can be serviced moving forward.

For the first few years we had advertising and the blogging fund, and that mostly paid for everything (Dom has dipped into his own pocket at times because he really is awful at asking for money ). We managed to access the remainder of the blogging fund that had been marooned on Boyles three years ago. Time has flown and now it’s decision time again.

As Dom put it earlier, “we’re using a double decker bus to transport a family of 4 around the place”. We’d just keep it the same, but it no longer makes sense to do that. Some level of change is required.
              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Whats your sense yourself Dom? (and Lloyd etc also). As in would ye have a preferred option?
                I think the level of conversation we’re at is well suited to a Discord, but completely appreciate people would rather not.

I wonder how people feel about the BBV archives and old posts, etc? A clean DB on a new hosting site would dramatically reduce the overhead of keeping the lights on and we could go for years more. If we did that would those still here take off for good?

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                  Is that €1700 pa or for another 3 years
                  Per annum
                  Dom got a nice deal three years ago but we’re no longer a new customer, so the price of the brick is going up.

Comment

I'd say theres minimal benefit to paying to keep the archives up along with everything else tbh.

Comment

MRS FLUSHDRAW

Comment

I'd say theres minimal benefit to paying to keep the archives up along with everything else tbh.
                        TESTIFY.

Comment

I enjoy reading here although don't contribute much anymore.

I would unlikely use a discord or WhatsApp.

If it was a case of throw a tenner in and were good for a couple of years I would do that.

Not sure if that helps.
                          ​​​
                          airport, lol

Comment

Realistically the place is dead. Back of the envelope it’s RD3 posting probably 30% of the posts. Hitch another 30%, then about 10 people doing the other 40%.

No new blood in a long long time and no reason for new blood to start.

I would miss this place though, it’s a familiar corner of the net, so I’m happy to contribute nostalgically to keep it running.
                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Probably I would vote for option #4, assuming that much cheaper. Don't think it's worth spending anything significant to retain the old posts TBH, that's just a nice-to-have.

Comment

Smaller database lose the history would work for most I think
                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

In fact, some may believe nuking the database would be a positive for when it comes to hitch for president
                                  airport, lol

Comment

I had to bribe the hosting company to get them to charge too much for the 'keeping old data' option to nudge IPB head honchos towards the nuking the DB strategy.

Comment

Close it down. Delete everything. Get Satnav to organise the final Karaoke with no poker get together.
                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Can we get the history as an archive?
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

We could always go back to boards

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                            Not sure those lads are going to be there in ~5 years tbh. Drop off in numbers becoming very very noticeable

Comment

Clean slate, I must be old because i have no idea what discord is but a change is as good as a rest as they say, the idea of whatsapp also doesnt appeal to me, never use my phone to use IPB.

More than willing to contribute to keep the lights on.

Also aware how quiet it gets over the summer months in here.
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                I think hitch would make a very entertaining prez- let the Kompromat die
                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Happy to chip in and like a lot have said no probs with you getting rid of the history.

Comment

My 2 cents. Why not abandon the whole forum aspect and simply create an IPB webpage with a facility for comments on Blog posts. IE A Blog that everyone can post/blog on and everyone can comment on.. , meh concensus might be difficult.
                                                    Essentially what we do anyway. Of course this is all so early 2000s.

A simple FB page would suffice if folks want to continue updating with info. Or let it fade away and let whoever wants to stay connected, stay connected. AS LL mentioned the forum style is dying out. If IPB were mine though I’d be offering it to some poker provider to take it over , there has to be some leverage there for you guys to take a few pence back towards meerlust.etc

Comment

Not a bad option really - cuts out any more money/time for Admins and its there ready to go. Plus if GAB is running a book i'd like 4/5 on HH first banhammer.

Comment

Happy enough to nuke everything. Outside of the falling active user count, we only really have one active thread? A place with one sticked thread for the BBV and a place to create a few threads outside of it for book club, horsey gambling or whatever seems perfect. I presume this is what option 4 would look like? I know Discord is perfect for this use case but I think the forum would almost die overnight with that move. Another option is to create a subreddit.

What way does vbulletin work? Do you pay a licence fee for it each year or do you own it?

Happy to contribute also towards whatever option if needed.

Comment

A subreddit is an interesting idea. Same essential feel as a forum, easily navigated to, but backed by that infrastructure.

Comment

Personally speaking i’ve no issue woth discord as an option so that or option 4 are fine for me. Also happy to contribute in order to keep living vicariously through others

i don’t see any need for keeping the archives, but then again I’m someone who doesn’t even have photos of anything so looking back clearly isn’t high on my agenda.
                                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Just on the DNS issues for a migration.

You should be able to minimise the downtime from DNS shenanigans by manipulating the TTL values and pre-seeding the DNS zone to the new nameserver (if changing).
                                                              1. Download a copy of your DNS zone file and give it to the new host.
                                                              2. The new host will publish these records on their nameservers so it's pre-seeded.
                                                              3. On your existing host change to your new nameservers (eg from ns.ipb... to ns.newhostorg.com).
                                                              4. Make sure your new DNS records on the new host have trimmed small to a small TTL value on your important items (eg A, MX). Something like 5-15 mins is fine.
                                                              5. Take the site down and stick a under maintenance landing page up.
                                                              6. Complete your server migration.
                                                              7. On the new host flip the A records over to the live site and they'll be online in under 15 mins.
                                                              8. Reset the TTL values to the recommended defaults.
                                                              I'd recommend nameserver it to whatever the hosting company's default is (eg NS1.blacknight.ie) unless you have specific reasons to keep it as IPB...

Comment

I'd be happy to contribute to keeping IPB online as a forum in whatever shape or form. I really don't like the idea of the place not being here even if it's just a few of us rattling around. €1700 per annum seems crazy alright for the activity, and I have no idea when I last looked for an old post. Might be nice if we could retain certain high value threads like TV/book/recipe recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                  I've nostalgia for the old content. It's 14 years of history. But I understand that it's likely prohibitively financially and operationally to continue it (and it'll be dropped at some point).

Comment

A subreddit is an interesting idea. Same essential feel as a forum, easily navigated to, but backed by that infrastructure.
                                                                    Would it suit a bbv style thread?

Comment

Would it suit a bbv style thread?
                                                                      You'd probably just create a weekly/daily thread post and pin it.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think solutions are going to end up more in the zone of points 3 and 4 than other options. But keep the thoughts coming, they are hugely appreciated.

Comment

Thanks all. I'll have a look at some of the practicalities of options in a couple of days. Looks like not much attachment to the old content when it comes down to it, but if when we come to some sort of conclusion about what we'll do I'll let you know before doing it anyway.

I agree with some of the comments that while discord would probably suit from a use case review, it'd also hasten the demise of what remains of us.

The only really active threads are the bbv, some gambling bits, and the odd community one that pops up.

Comment

1700 quid split over 63 users is only 27 euro a year or 52 cent a week. That's only a mouthful of Meerlust each week - I'd happily pay that to keep things as they are now.

I appreciate not all 63 users might want to pay that so it could be a pain/awkward to work out but I'm sure we'd all drop 50 quid on a last minute tip posted in the BBV without a second thought despite not knowing anything about the horse, the race and anything else related to the chances of it actually winning so you know, it might work.

I quite like the back history. I get people saying it's not needed and it's probably not essential but it's a decade and a half of history which I think it would be a shame to lose - Even if there was an option to archive it and not add to it would be good.

I've never been on Discord so not sure what that is like but I couldn't see What's App working at all, or Facebook for that matter.

Is there anything to be said for contacting some of the old posters that don't post anymore to let them know what is potentially happening, maybe it could spark them to come back?

Comment

#39
                                                                              I'd happily pay 50 quid a year personally alright

Comment

#40
                                                                                Some big decisions ahead. Everything changes, not always for the better.

Happy to chip in to keep this place as close to possible as it is now. Not really tied to the historical content either BUT there is no doubt there is a book in there somewhere:

The Rise, Fall and Dying Breaths of Forum Culture and the Entertaining Tales of All Who Sailed in Her.

Thanks to all who are committed to trying to make something work and to those who entertain me daily with their posts!

Onwards and erm... downwards, but not too fast please.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Kind of like it the way it is What's app style would be a hard no
                                                                                  Dont need archives
                                                                                  Happy to pay a reasonable sum like a nifty

We could have a raffle a with some % going to winner
                                                                                  Poker tourney to raise the funds etc

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                    Close it down. Delete everything. Get Satnav to organise the final Karaoke with no poker get together.
                                                                                    In

Aw I'd very sad if this goes. I still pop in for a galk every now and then and happy to contribute to old memories if needs be!
                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                      1700 quid split over 63 users is only 27 euro a year or 52 cent a week. That's only a mouthful of Meerlust each week - I'd happily pay that to keep things as they are now.

I appreciate not all 63 users might want to pay that so it could be a pain/awkward to work out but I'm sure we'd all drop 50 quid on a last minute tip posted in the BBV without a second thought despite not knowing anything about the horse, the race and anything else related to the chances of it actually winning so you know, it might work.

I quite like the back history. I get people saying it's not needed and it's probably not essential but it's a decade and a half of history which I think it would be a shame to lose - Even if there was an option to archive it and not add to it would be good.

I've never been on Discord so not sure what that is like but I couldn't see What's App working at all, or Facebook for that matter.

Is there anything to be said for contacting some of the old posters that don't post anymore to let them know what is potentially happening, maybe it could spark them to come back?

I spend 27 euro on shite at least 4 times a week!
                                                                                      I have ipb Web page pinned to my homescreen prob 10 years. I can't think of anything to replace it so don't shut this down ye cunts
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Not on here nearly as much these past few years but happy to contribute in whatever way is needed.
                                                                                        I do think Discord suits the use case very well to be honest and it's fairly easy to use.
                                                                                        WhatsApp also have a new 'Communities' feature and I think that is trying to replicate what Discord/Slack do to some extent? Not used it yet but that's just my understanding. There is a web and desktop version of WhatsApp just like Discord so I don't see why that's not a viable option too.​

Comment

#45
                                                                                          A discord would be fine by me, especially if we just linked directly from here to make it easier for people to join.
                                                                                          Likewise, would be happy to go back to boards to save the hassle/cost to the Mods here.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Initial options I'm looking at will be one of:
                                                                                            - Stripped back, very little old content (maybe none), cheaper hosting.
                                                                                            - vbulletin do cloud hosting which on the face of it seems reasonably priced if it suits our needs
                                                                                            - asking again for the heavily discounted price I got last time to basically continue as is. The lazy ass in me favours this one, but we'll see.

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Thanks Dom. Let us know the cost also and we'll work it out.

Comment

#48
                                                                                                A couple of hundred quid a month each from about 50 of you, paid directly to me should do it. Yes, that would do very nicely indeed.

Charles-Montgomery-Burns--007.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=b0ca0451eb70ef713658bb84793d8efd.jpg

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  I was never a big poster here and probably haven’t posted at all in a couple of years. But I do check in regularly. I have probably read and enjoyed every page in the BBV since the start. I keep an eye on the Lotto syndicate hoping for my retirement ticket.
                                                                                                  I would gladly pay €50 a year to keep it going.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Sorry, forgot to post on this.

Only iron-clad principle should be, no matter what option we choose, mods should not have to pay a penny, ever. I had no idea they were paying that much out of their own pockets.

No real desire to go back through the archives, ever so if we go with a historyless db, that is fine by me.
                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                      Sorry, forgot to post on this.

Only iron-clad principle should be, no matter what option we choose, mods should not have to pay a penny, ever. I had no idea they were paying that much out of their own pockets.

No real desire to go back through the archives, ever so if we go with a historyless db, that is fine by me.
                                                                                                      Ah there hasn't been much cost to date, other than the yearly domain renewal perhaps, but that's only $20 a year, give or take. Over the years when we had ads they paid for it, but that has recently run out and the last of it was used on the 3 year renewal last time out that is expiring next month.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                      X