This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Where else since '45 has there been anything even close to resembling Putin's march against democracy?
    jesus christ. like thats a genuinely shocking thing to not be aware of similar or worse invasions in the last 80 years.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Where else since '45 has there been anything even close to resembling Putin's march against democracy?
      There is no equivalence really.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

i give up, as i need to protect the remaining braincells that haven't been destroyed by this conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

i give up, as i need to protect the remaining braincells that haven't been destroyed by this conversation.
          A wee tune to quell the noise.

Needs Uilean Pipes.

I know the minds behind them, they are riddled full of
          Holes
          Not to be trusted with their hands at the controls
          Their eyesight it is twisted by the glory of their
          Careers
          The heaped praise and flattery is music to their ears
          To listen to them talk about how it hasn't happened
          Yet's
          Like playing Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Russian Roulette​

Comment

what was that you mentioned earlier solks about playing in zagreb? you're playing an instrument or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

This is Hitch style debating 101. Once it's obvious you're losing and literally no-one else supports your argument, then resort to ad hominem attacks and flooding the zone with shit. It's a good thing to see.

He does seem pretty triggered by the aid package being approved for Ukraine and the refusal of those pesky Ukrainians just to hand over their country to the fascist Tsar. You would have to wonder why.
              As well as picking up on some spelling mistake and making some shite joke based on it, rather than, ya know, responding to the point ingeniously.That’s happened before too.

(Although the joke was so bad i did get a semi chuckle out of it)

Comment

what was that you mentioned earlier solks about playing in zagreb? you're playing an instrument or something like that?
                I'm a well known exponent of the electric triangle and cowbell.

Comment

President Pavel makes some excellent points.

Comment

Sure, if you can't come up with a reasonably comparable situation to the immediate threat Putin is posing to Europe and NATO's borders, then fine we can pretend you have a clue what you are on about and start talking about something else.

Cuba '62 or Prague '68 might be relevant, but compared to Putin and the criminals enabling him, the politburo was a shining example of good governance with the best interests of Russian citizens in their hearts.

​​​​​​
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

'Pecker has entered....the courtroom'.

It's high drama and low farce.

Comment

Sure, if you can't come up with a reasonably comparable situation to the immediate threat Putin is posing to Europe and NATO's borders, then fine we can pretend you have a clue what you are on about and start talking about something else.

Cuba '62 or Prague '68 might be relevant, but compared to Putin and the criminals enabling him, the politburo was a shining example of good governance with the best interests of Russian citizens in their hearts.

​​​​​​
                        Putin is both an imperialist and a fascist. Or more precisely an imperialist who uses fascist methods.

Comment

Any tips (non salami related) for things to do in Milano sp?

Comment

Tony Felloni doesn't get the fondest of sendoffs from the Indo:

Comment

Tony Felloni doesn't get the fondest of sendoffs from the Indo:

Never heard of him, What a scumbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Absolutely. Seeing that effect on the population and then deciding to get your kids hooked in order to control them.

Comment

Holy crap Solks! I initially assumed you were joking. Scratching my head at how a Drimnagh man of your vintage wouldn't have seen this guy in the news over the years.

Maybe you were overseas or something every time he was going thought the courts

Comment

'Pecker has entered....the courtroom'.

It's high drama and low farce.
                                    Bailiff (as Judge enters)- "All rise"
                                    Pecker -

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post

Holy crap Solks! I initially assumed you were joking. Scratching my head at how a Drimnagh man of your vintage wouldn't have seen this guy in the news over the years.

Maybe you were overseas or something every time he was going thought the courts
                                      He's a fair bit older than me . I'm more the bomber Kavanagh vintage but i was still shocked recently to find the guy who lived down the road was an infamous criminal. I've little interest in these scumbags so naturally my attention is elsewhere . Although i was interviewed about my whereabouts when Paddy Shananhan was shot dead . He was walking out of Sphere (gym and Squash courts) with his Karate teacher and BANG. Spoke to him often, seemed like a decent sort. Ya never know eh.

There was one guy who used to freak out playing Squash and I'd do my scouse calm down cslm down. Someone told me, dont wind him up, he was jailed for road rage, followed a guy , dragged him out of his car and beat him to death. Ol Dez Kelly used to play there, little ol felow . A mix of all sorts in there . Took em all at face value . Its now a medical centre . Miss those days tbh. Some craic in between murders.

Comment

Any tips (non salami related) for things to do in Milano sp?

Discover the Villa Necchi Campiglio. a FAI property in the center of Milan

https://maps.app.goo.gl/s4EUqsbGN9mJPyzy8 Serious Italian food probably need to book depending on time

https://maps.app.goo.gl/arxA4Awm2K2XeAv9A another good classic Italian restaurant​

Watch out for Marco D' on any menu will be a good sign

Comment

Just got called Ciaran in a poker room. FML

Comment

He's a fair bit older than me . I'm more the bomber Kavanagh vintage but i was still shocked recently to find the guy who lived down the road was an infamous criminal. I've little interest in these scumbags so naturally my attention is elsewhere . Although i was interviewed about my whereabouts when Paddy Shananhan was shot dead . He was walking out of Sphere (gym and Squash courts) with his Karate teacher and BANG. Spoke to him often, seemed like a decent sort. Ya never know eh.

There was one guy who used to freak out playing Squash and I'd do my scouse calm down cslm down. Someone told me, dont wind him up, he was jailed for road rage, followed a guy , dragged him out of his car and beat him to death. Ol Dez Kelly used to play there, little ol felow . A mix of all sorts in there . Took em all at face value . Its now a medical centre . Miss those days tbh. Some craic in between murders.
                                            Interesting.

So where was Sphere exactly? (I was on Brandon Road for a decade up until a couple of years ago, so it must have been before my time).

Comment

Interesting.

So where was Sphere exactly? (I was on Brandon Road for a decade up until a couple of years ago, so it must have been before my time).
                                              The green building at the Drimnagh road end of Errigal, on the corner opposite the hospital. Still there.

Comment

Met the band REM , nice lads , Thats me in the corner

Screenshot_20240423_204857_Editor Lite.jpg

Comment

The green building at the Drimnagh road end of Errigal, on the corner opposite the hospital. Still there.
                                                  Ah...literally at the corner where the traffic lights are? behind the railings opposite the Chinese takeaway? I thought it was some kind of medical research/education facility these days.

So that used to be a gym/sports facility/squash courts? Right... never knew that.

Comment

Ah...literally at the corner where the traffic lights are? behind the railings opposite the Chinese takeaway? I thought it was some kind of medical research/education facility these days.

So that used to be a gym/sports facility/squash courts? Right... never knew that.
                                                    Yes. Spheres . The exterior is the same . Was a famous little spot. Loved it there . Owner sold it to IHS , a sad day.

Comment

Aid bills passed the Senate with huge bipartisan majorities and presumably Biden will sign them into law this am.

The supplies are apparently all boxed up in Poland awaiting delivery so the impact should be immediate. Would imagine the morale boost is huge too.

This is also a big blow to Putin and not just the obvious military one. The Russians have invested a lot in their Western mouthpieces who have been trying, from a number of angles, to reduce active support for Ukraine - primarily on the already bought and paid for MAGA wing of the Republican Party but also in other places such as the extreme left in Europe (witness our very own Moscow Mick Wallace and Kremlin Clare Daly). That disinformation campaign has failed and people are, increasingly, seeing through it for what it is.

Comment

Example A. Lindsay Graham - full-on scumbag and Trump enabler.

But even he has managed to see the light when it comes to Ukraine and the imperative to stop and defeat the Mad Tsar.

Comment

Aid bills passed the Senate with huge bipartisan majorities and presumably Biden will sign them into law this am.

The supplies are apparently all boxed up in Poland awaiting delivery so the impact should be immediate. Would imagine the morale boost is huge too.

This is also a big blow to Putin and not just the obvious military one. The Russians have invested a lot in their Western mouthpieces who have been trying, from a number of angles, to reduce active support for Ukraine - primarily on the already bought and paid for MAGA wing of the Republican Party but also in other places such as the extreme left in Europe (witness our very own Moscow Mick Wallace and Kremlin Clare Daly). That disinformation campaign has failed and people are, increasingly, seeing through it for what it is.
                                                          This seems like an obvious betting opportunity.

Crimea by August?

Or even - to make it super simple - just pick a random village thats a few kilometres from a current frontline - Avdiivka only fell at the end of February, so presumably, as a core strategic transport route, will be recaptured by lunchtime. But to give you free money we can bet on so minor a target being recaptured by the end of May? should be easy given the 'impact should be immediate'.

Of course the reality is there will be a bit of media showmanship of a few oil refineries far away being blown up.

Comment

Example A. Lindsay Graham - full-on scumbag and Trump enabler.

But even he has managed to see the light when it comes to Ukraine and the imperative to stop and defeat the Mad Tsar.

ahh the poor downtrodden Israelis. how will they kill all those kids in playgrounds without more US weapons. Indeed his actual tweet, made a first priority of highlighting the Israeli genocide funding.

Comment

This seems like an obvious betting opportunity.

Crimea by August?

Or even - to make it super simple - just pick a random village thats a few kilometres from a current frontline - Avdiivka only fell at the end of February, so presumably, as a core strategic transport route, will be recaptured by lunchtime. But to give you free money we can bet on so minor a target being recaptured by the end of May? should be easy given the 'impact should be immediate'.

Of course the reality is there will be a bit of media showmanship of a few oil refineries far away being blown up.
                                                              Not even the Ukrainians are talking about a counter-offensive in 2024 so no thanks. This should be the year of stabilising the frontline and re-equipping (while continuing to degrade Russian strategic capability).

We should also keep an eye on the Russian 300bn in frozen reserves and progress towards handing that over to Ukraine as war reparations.

Comment

so the 'immediate impact' will be unobservable? i think i understand the rules now, was confused for a moment there by the use of the word 'impact'.

Comment

Would anyone know a tax accountant they would recommend?

- need to sell the sideplot and want to be sure to minimise the tax bill as there's a whole lot of vagueness on what is the acceptable implied purchase value of the sideplot, which then determines the taxable gain.

I was arguing with the estate agent that given the neighbours had already got planning for their equivalent plot by the time we bought, then our purchase price heavily implied that planning would be awarded. So the fact that planning was eventually awarded shouldn't have massively created extra taxable value. He was shrugging saying he doesn't know, but thinks we might have 100k of taxable gain, which seems like madness.
                                                                  Spoke to a tax accountant this morning. Turns out the key here is 'reasonable calculation'. As in, if you can 'reasonably' show there was about 150k of value in the land to be sold when you bought it, then thats grand as the implied value. A few examples are key - e.g. what were houses in the area without a developable sideplot selling for. Seems though its unlikely it will actually be checked.

Comment

so the 'immediate impact' will be unobservable? i think i understand the rules now, was confused for a moment there by the use of the word 'impact'.
                                                                    Well, I'm sure all the cities and towns that now won't be overrun by Russian fascist troops and have their occupants raped, tortured and murdered would disagree with you. I think they'll be quite happy.
                                                                    Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 24-04-24, 10:29.

Comment

Spoke to a tax accountant this morning. Turns out the key here is 'reasonable calculation'. As in, if you can 'reasonably' show there was about 150k of value in the land to be sold when you bought it, then thats grand as the implied value. A few examples are key - e.g. what were houses in the area without a developable sideplot selling for. Seems though its unlikely it will actually be checked.
                                                                      I went to a tax accountant and guess what he told me, guess what he told me . He said boy you better not have much more fun no matter what you do. But he's a fool.

True story.

Comment

I went to a tax accountant and guess what he told me, guess what he told me . He said boy you better not have much more fun no matter what you do. But he's a fool.

True story.
                                                                        I went to one too but he told me should 5% appear too small, I should be thankful he didn't take it all. Licence plate was T@X M@N.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                          Just got called Ciaran in a poker room. FML
                                                                          What a compliment to be paid, you must be winning at life these days

Comment

HH a bit like Capone. After all the shite over the years the taxman will finally be his downfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                              HH a bit like Capone.
                                                                              Short, fat and syphilitic?

Comment

You really see the difference between Biden and Trump on these aid bills. Professionals vs amateurs.

Comment

Passed by this on the way out this morning, just beside the house.

Seems like what they do if you die in these circumstances is they just roll out a big tarpaulin across the road and then there's a body shaped lump under the tarpaulin. Like one minute he or she was thinking about when the next bus might be and then next minute is covered in a tarpaulin with drivers cursing that they can't bulldoze their fat kids in their SUVs up to the local school because of a dumb dead person who was stupid enough to walk in a city.

Comment

Amnesty International not pulling any punches about the Israelis in their report today. Literally starving kids to death.

It is a campaign of deliberate, indiscriminate bombings of civilians and civilian infrastructure, of denial of humanitarian assistance and an engineered famine.

Comment

Amnesty International not pulling any punches about the Israelis in their report today. Literally starving kids to death.

Quoting Amnesty is like quoting a student's union press release.

Comment

Amazing that Elon is able to pump the stock using the same lies from the last ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Quoting Amnesty is like quoting a student's union press release.
                                                                                          I suspect the global media haven't GenAId the images of bombed playgrounds, and decapitated and emaciated kids, so we're probably okay to trust them on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                            Amazing that Elon is able to pump the stock using the same lies from the last ten years.
                                                                                            He's very much a gobshite, but the price point on the Tesla is now so low its extraordinarily good value vs just about any other car in the market. Thats quite the achievement really - whether or not it means that the company is worth the ridic valuation.

Comment

He's very much a gobshite, but the price point on the Tesla is now so low its extraordinarily good value vs just about any other car in the market. Thats quite the achievement really - whether or not it means that the company is worth the ridic valuation.
                                                                                              The value of your investment may go down as well as up.

I'm no financial analyst but ...
                                                                                              Tesla sold c.1.8 M vehicles last year - Market cap c.$550B
                                                                                              VW sold c. 10M vehicles last year and market cap is c. $70B

Edit: Doh! I thought you were talking about the share rather than the car.

Even at 38K I would rather be paying more for a electric from a reliable responsible company or a cheaper Chinese clone than buying a tesla that you are basically renting from Musk.
                                                                                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 24-04-24, 14:29.

Comment

The value of your investment may go down as well as up.

I'm no financial analyst but ...
                                                                                                Tesla sold c.1.8 M vehicles last year - Market cap c.$550B
                                                                                                VW sold c. 10M vehicles last year and market cap is c. $70B

Edit: Doh! I thought you were talking about the share rather than the car.

Even at 38K I would rather be paying more for a electric from a reliable responsible company or a cheaper Chinese clone than buying a tesla that you are basically renting from Musk.
                                                                                                Yeah. I wouldn't actually buy a Tesla. Its more that this is a clearly fantastic car and its kinda mad the price point is down near mass market pricing levels. Its the Germans you would worry about. They seem to be stuck in this mindset that a car is a car, while a car is now really a beautiful computer on wheels.

Comment

This is quite fascinating. An Irish startup that just went bust where the founder tracks the story from start to finish.

(edit: its very technical, its not some highs and lows of life story)

Post-mortem reflections on a failed engineering software start-up.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 24-04-24, 14:52.

Comment

You really see the difference between Biden and Trump on these aid bills. Professionals vs amateurs.
                                                                                                    Biden just wrapped it all up nicely in his remarks.

Amazing how politics can just work, once you create the conditions. Definitely an art more than a science.

The biggest surprise has been how the new GOP Speaker stood up to the MAGA wing.

Comment

He has a plan about Gaza that doesn't involve sending Israel more weapons to kill kids?

Comment

He has a plan about Gaza that doesn't involve sending Israel more weapons to kill kids?
                                                                                                        Something something oct 7...

Just because a few gombeens aint thanking your posts Hitch does NOT mean people dont agree with you, a lot, myself included try and not get either involved, or worse still virtue signalling.

History will have us on the correct side when its all said and done.
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Well, I'm sure all the cities and towns that now won't be overrun by Russian fascist troops and have their occupants raped, tortured and murdered would disagree with you. I think they'll be quite happy.
                                                                                                          If the Gaza people had the same help against Adolf Netanyahu and his merry bunch it would be a nice thought

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Something something oct 7...

Just because a few gombeens aint thanking your posts Hitch does NOT mean people dont agree with you, a lot, myself included try and not get either involved, or worse still virtue signalling.

History will have us on the correct side when its all said and done.
                                                                                                            Just to be clear, everything I have commented on in the last few days has been in the context of Ukraine.

Gaza looks intractable as long as Hamas refuses to surrender and return hostages. And while Netanyahu is in office.

The congressional leadership in the US were quite clever in the way they separated the Ukraine, Taiwan and Israel aid into separate bills.

Comment

Sad end to Klopps reign- ironically losing to a team tonight who actually suffered from a punishment that should have been handed out 20 times over to those cheating cunts Man City
                                                                                                              any other era and Klopps Liverpool have at least 2 more titles
                                                                                                              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Civil War is an atrocity of a film. Like bizarre, GUBU, disturbing. How did it make it to the cinema except for a conviction by the producers that people would turn up just to see how Kirsten Dunst has aged.
                                                                                                                Just been to see it and confirm it's a total bag of shite. The only other movie I've rated 3/10 recently was Drive-Away Dykes

Even ignoring the lack of a story, I was irritated by the young photographers use of a film camera. When she was developing her first roll you could see that it was bog standard Kodak 400asa film she was using, which is fine for outdoor stuff. However all the photos she took from about midway through were either outdoors at night, or indoors. I doubt even the highest asa film would capture anything in those conditions (unless you were taking pics of something still, and you could use a long exposure time).
                                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Just been to see it and confirm it's a total bag of shite. The only other movie I've rated 3/10 recently was Drive-Away Dykes

Even ignoring the lack of a story, I was irritated by the young photographers use of a film camera. When she was developing her first roll you could see that it was bog standard Kodak 400asa film she was using, which is fine for outdoor stuff. However all the photos she took from about midway through were either outdoors at night, or indoors. I doubt even the highest asa film would capture anything in those conditions (unless you were taking pics of something still, and you could use a long exposure time).
                                                                                                                  ha. and thank you for giving it 3/10 rather than 3 wombats out of 10, as it would be an insult to the proud wombat system to think of it as even partially wombat-worthy.

Comment

Biden just wrapped it all up nicely in his remarks.

Amazing how politics can just work, once you create the conditions. Definitely an art more than a science.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                      Sad end to Klopps reign- ironically losing to a team tonight who actually suffered from a punishment that should have been handed out 20 times over to those cheating cunts Man City
                                                                                                                      Been a while but LOLIVERPOOL

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                        Always someone else cheating, if it wasnt for Howard Webb, if it wasnt for Fergie paying off the FA. If it wasnt for City buying better players . The same City ye creamed yerselves about when Aqueeerooo scored. Was fun though I liked Kloop, good high octane footie. Hopefully Arsenal take it down.

Comment

Playing Muirfield in a few hours. North Berwick tomorrow.
                                                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X