This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
    That's a very "American Psycho" article...
    (disturbingly good!)

And has zero answers for me, I'm not wandering into Boots and spraying a new deodorant on me each day until I meet 'The One'.

Actually in the market for some scents too though, have just reached the end of the Christmas Gifts aftershaves.

Was hoping to find an answer that could cross both realms.
    You know at some stage you'll be at that level.......that's the really scary bit!!
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

(disturbingly good!)

And has zero answers for me, I'm not wandering into Boots and spraying a new deodorant on me each day until I meet 'The One'.

Actually in the market for some scents too though, have just reached the end of the Christmas Gifts aftershaves.

Originally Posted by jbizz54 So you're one of 'those' guys that people can smell coming from 3 city blocks away. Nice. He sprays in front of him and wa

Comment

(disturbingly good!)

get a red one, get a yellow one, get a clear one. red for winter, yellow for summer clear for the in between times.
        optional, get a purple one for wearing with your pulling pants.
        avoid mixing.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
          6 hours to the weekend
          30 mins for me

Comment

The Detroit bankruptcy and the implications for the pension promises of what we would term public servants is going to be very interesting.

Even more interesting is what will happen to the population of Detroit (and therefore economic activity) given that the police and others will likely be on strike pretty soon and the place will likely take another downward leg.

These guys could be roaming the streets pretty soon.

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
              The Detroit bankruptcy and the implications for the pension promises of what we would term public servants is going to be very interesting.

Even more interesting is what will happen to the population of Detroit (and therefore economic activity) given that the police and others will likely be on strike pretty soon and the place will likely take another downward leg.
              They're already living in Mad Max times.

Interesting scenario would be the Koch's taking on the city as some Libertarian paradise.

"Interesting" and "paradise" of course definitely not applicable to the people who have to live there.
              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Anyone got a link to the golf?
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

It's already started in other states too, a few have already announced plans to reduce state pensions and the rest are watching and waiting before (probably) following the precedent.

Here's a post from another forum regarding recent changes in Ohio for example

Originally posted by Public Sector Pension Ohio
                  With the new legislation l will be going from 41.25% of my final average salary for 25 years and 55 years old to 27.5% Unbelievable!!

And no health care till 60 years old. I have just over 5 years to make up some ground. This is just your basic public service position not law enforcement it is ohio public employees retirement systems (OPERS) version of early retirement 25 years of service and 55 years old.
                  Hell of a big change with very little time to prepare for the new financial realities.
                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                    It's already started in other states too, a few have already announced plans to reduce state pensions and the rest are watching and waiting before (probably) following the precedent.

Here's a post from another forum regarding recent changes in Ohio for example

Hell of a big change with very little time to prepare for the new financial realities.
                    In fairness at least they are dealing with the issues now. In Ireland it's a case of stick your fingers in your ears and pretend it's not even a possibility.

We fell for one of the biggest property bubbles of all time years after other countries had gone through the same mess, and we'll do the same on the pensions side of things as well.

In Ireland, most people will have no time to adjust when the axe eventually falls.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      It's a little difficult to explain but what Sartre did not mean (nor the character in the play No Exit who uttered it) that it is hellish to be around people. Of course it isn't.

He meant that it is hell to be constituted by the Other. This line of thinking is that we are naturally constituted by the desire and the gaze of the Other from childhood. We are products of what the Other wanted us to be, products of what the Other saw us to be. Our knowledge of ourselves is derived from the Other.

To live this way, being constituted by the Other, is hellish. It is inauthentic. It results in internal conflict and anxiety.

Let's take the most superficial example - someone who appears very superficial and is entirely concerned with what other people view them as being. We have been talking about hipsters here over the past day. We know what we are talking about here.

But it runs much, much deeper than this. We all do it. We may not all be hugely concerned with adolescent things such as what others currently think about our choices of clothes, music, etc. but how much of who we are has been historically constituted by the Other?

How much of your narrative and self identity story is a fundamental reaction to the Other and how you were treated? Which is a reflection of the desire of the Other. We all have our boxes we fit ourselves into which constrain and make manageable the maddening freedom we all actually have and the terrifying responsibility which that freedom demands of us.

We choose the hell and inauthenticity of the identities given to us by the Other as an abnegation of our fundamental freedom. Because to truly acknowledge and make contact with our freedom and its responsibility is utterly terrifying. That is why Sartre said we are condemned to be free.

How many of us have really taken on this fundamental responsibility? Our lives are mostly the product of habit and happenchance, and our identities mostly given to us by how others have seen us.

You can get up tomorrow and become a yak herder in Mongolia if you want. But that won't be on the table for you. What you have for dinner might be. Mindfulness of the very fact of your existence won't be present, you will instead be distracted by the mundane content of your life.

All of this keeps existential anxiety at bay, but replaces it with unsatisfactoriness. Each day most of us wake up and choose hell, distract ourselves from it, and pretend that it isn't a choice we make.

Here's a question - if you knew that the life you are living would be experienced repeatedly by you again and again exactly the same for all eternity would that make you live your life any differently?
                      I've been thinking about this a lot since you posted it, particularly the part in bold.

What I've come to realise, and I think most on here would agree, is this; If I missed out on entering the greatest annual competition that IPB runs with a chance to literally win €10's of € every month then I would feel very let down by my life choices.

If you feel the same as me, and I know that you do, it's easy to change your path. Just click on the link in my sig and sign up for the IPB Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014, eternal happiness is just a mouse click away.

Join fantasy football today, you'll regret it for eternity if you don't!

Comment

In fairness at least they are dealing with the issues now. In Ireland it's a case of stick your fingers in your ears and pretend it's not even a possibility.

We fell for one of the biggest property bubbles of all time years after other countries had gone through the same mess, and we'll do the same on the pensions side of things as well.

In Ireland, most people will have no time to adjust when the axe eventually falls.
                        People are idiots.

Everybody knows that the current situation is unsustainable, and everyone knows it will have to change. As individuals, I'm sure a lot of public sector workers are concerned as to the potential impacts. As a group or "People" they don't talk about it in case that somehow causes it to happen. They are convinced that the unions will prevent it happening, when in reality they will be brushed aside like a paperweight in front of a Tsunami.

Right now the senior people in the unions and PS are playing dumb because they are holding out for their cut of the pie. Reasonably safe in the knowledge that they will be ok and sure the rest will have to look after themselves.

The private sector pension situation is no better. Ignore the DB schemes that are fubared anyway, and look at the DC schemes. So few people investing properly in their pension and just expecting the gravy train to carry on forever. We are a nation of consumerists, spending like it's going out of fashion and always having to be one step ahead of everyone else.

To the point in the post from Hotspur; how we are percieved by "the other" is more important than anything else to most people. This is by no means unique to Ireland, but there's a big fall coming imo. Enough to make what's gone on in the last couple of years look like boom times.

Comment

Buy some smelly stuff that smells decent or that you got off your brother for your birthday a couple of years (till you lost it and put some on): job done.

Anything beyond that is girl talk.
                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

People are idiots.

Everybody knows that the current situation is unsustainable, and everyone knows it will have to change. As individuals, I'm sure a lot of public sector workers are concerned as to the potential impacts. As a group or "People" they don't talk about it in case that somehow causes it to happen. They are convinced that the unions will prevent it happening, when in reality they will be brushed aside like a paperweight in front of a Tsunami.

Right now the senior people in the unions and PS are playing dumb because they are holding out for their cut of the pie. Reasonably safe in the knowledge that they will be ok and sure the rest will have to look after themselves.

The private sector pension situation is no better. Ignore the DB schemes that are fubared anyway, and look at the DC schemes. So few people investing properly in their pension and just expecting the gravy train to carry on forever. We are a nation of consumerists, spending like it's going out of fashion and always having to be one step ahead of everyone else.

To the point in the post from Hotspur; how we are percieved by "the other" is more important than anything else to most people. This is by no means unique to Ireland, but there's a big fall coming imo. Enough to make what's gone on in the last couple of years look like boom times.

The illusion of safety and artifice of society lead to so much pain. I need to capitialise on these more.....

Comment

did Sartre even lift?
                              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                Golf Linky

Comment

4 hours to weekend
                                  airport, lol

Comment

FilmOn TV is a popular online streaming platform that offers a wide variety of live TV channels, movies, and TV shows. The platform was launched in 2010 and has since become one of the largest online TV networks in the world. It offers a wide range of channels from all over the world, including news, sports, entertainment, and lifestyle channels. In addition to live TV channels, FilmOn TV also provides on-demand content, including a library of movies and TV shows that can be streamed online. The platform is available on a variety of devices, including smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, and gaming consoles, making it accessible to a large audience.

Comment

Lol Broad, Aussie's didn't even wait for the appeal.
                                      Profit before people.

Comment

People are idiots.

V, we have recruited another to The Cause.

Welcome, Number, eh, Three.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                          Lol Broad, Aussie's didn't even wait for the appeal.
                                          showing proper and due contempt for Broad the cheating scumbag

good tail wagging tho', what is it with No 11s in this series. I fancy Clarke to get a big score here.

Comment

note to self.
                                            DO NOT PLAY DRUNK.
                                            Jesus, assholery
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              V, we have recruited another to The Cause.

Welcome, Number, eh, Three.
                                              Number 3?? He's miles ahead of us he just doesn't normally spend any of his precious time trying to convert others.....

Comment

Anyone know how long it is till the weekend?

In Nottingham, in my friend's house. Went for a late night drive followed by a cycle at 2am with him last night, Nottingham is very picturesque.

Had a go on this yoke:

Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 19-07-13, 11:22.
                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Sirtoyou View Post
                                                  Excellent, thanks Kieran.
                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Ya can shove your shorts at work, I've got the golf on a nice big screen here!!
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Hmmm guy from the England dressing room signals at Cook not to appeal the lbw? Gower said it was afterwards but his tone sounded very suspect.
                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Hmmm, ventured into local for a quick carvery before rushing off to two meetings.

Now on second Pint Bottle in beer garden watching golf with meetings cancelled.

Weather is a great excuse for anything really.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                          Personally checked in by the Mrs Deadparrot. This place is like the stonecutters.
                                                          1st class Ryanair is the only way to travel
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Watson is some man for getting in and then getting out

Comment

It has a very good app as well for ipad/phone .

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                Hmmm, ventured into local for a quick carvery before rushing off to two meetings.

Now on second Pint Bottle in beer garden watching golf with meetings cancelled.

Weather is a great excuse for anything really.
                                                                well fuck me and my big screen at work!
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Consumed, nay hoovered, up an unbelievably disgusting amount of chicken wings at lunchtime. It was Khmer Rouge in its execution.
                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

KBC have a new branch open in Baggott St.
                                                                    I'm sure they would be glad of your business.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                      Just had the greatest chuckle in history - AIB told me the most they could give me on a mortgage was €210,000. Eh love I didn't ask you how much I had to spend on a house it I wanted to take the money from my savings account.
                                                                      gambling transactions on your credit card obv.

but they really, really want to do business

Comment

The I'm rich brags are getting a lot less thinly veiled around here these days!
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                            Just had the greatest chuckle in history - AIB told me the most they could give me on a mortgage was €210,000. Eh love I didn't ask you how much I had to spend on a house it I wanted to take the money from my savings account.

Where do I move my banking to now because I am fucked if I am going to give them my current account business.
                                                                            Too much gambling going through the account? What did they say when you mentioned your savings?

I went to move to PTSB but they told me I had to set up an appointment to open an account, laughed in her face so still with AIB
                                                                            Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

...

Comment

Very NSFW
                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                2 hours to the weekend
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                  The I'm rich brags are getting a lot less thinly veiled around here these days!
                                                                                  In fairness anyone who follows the news and the chat on here can make a reasonable guesstimate as to GAB's liferoll!

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                    I think people who look to the future with doom laden opinions is something to do with childhoods. Maybe it's perfect childhoods and the subsequent feeling that things have gone downhill outside the cocoon of childhood happiness. It's not natural to look to the future and feel fear, doom, apprehension.

It has happened a negligible number of times for a country that the future is worse than the past.
                                                                                    make a list:

Austro-Hungary

Comment

...

Comment

Turkey

Comment

...
                                                                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 19-07-13, 13:10.

Comment

Greece and Italy have been in decline for millenia

Comment

Starting the list with an elitist regime, with almost no equality, or welfare system, or right of access to good housing and medical care.
                                                                                              sorry, didn't realise you had predefined the parameters!

I'm thinking in terms of historical greatness\influence

you are thinking in boringly practical measures

Here's another; Britain.

Comment

Pretty much all of the middle east?

Comment

Jesus, the batting by both sets of Top sixes has been diabolical in this series so far. Bell the sole exception.

Clarke has to deliver, here and now. I also think he should be batting himself at 3, given the shiteness of the other options. No room for hiding away at five here.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                    Turkey
                                                                                                    The populace are wealthier in terms of freedom, possessions, health & life expectancy.
                                                                                                    The country itself is no longer a major power in which a tiny cossetted minority live a life of incredible decadence, but this doesn't mean it merits a place on your list.

Comment

E.g. 95%+ of world population are better off in real terms now than two generations ago. It's probably actually closer to 100%. You could probably replicate this experiment ad naseum going back to our earliest incarnation as slugs, and find similar results.
                                                                                                      Let's talk about Rome. The beginning 2800 years ago, Rome of 2000 years ago, versus Rome of 1320, versus Rome of 1850 and now. It's not exactly linear.

Sure if you look at averages across the expanse of time then people on average may be better off since we were slugs. You don't get to live the average though.

Comment

...

Comment

Interspacing day by day European economic doom with the WWII real time tweets from 1941 always helps to put things in perspective.

Comment

Greatness / influence only affects max of maybe 2% of a population. It's about the other 98%. You think the 6 year old full time chimney sweep in Britain was thinking, 'well this is shite, but at least we're big in India'?

I think this conclusively proves my argument

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                Pretty much all of the middle east?
                                                                                                                Iran maybe. Iraq too.

Saudi Arabia and the other oil sheikhdoms clearly miles better off than their previous existence. Israel too, for radically different reasons.

Places like Yemen were always shitholes.

Comment

What were the job benefits like in the Roman Empire? Good holiday leave entitlements? Paternity leave?
                                                                                                                  you're too focussed on these nerdy measurements

you should be thinking 'does the rest of the world tremble in fear when our armies approach?'

that's true awesomeness, not having kids being able to read and stuff

Comment

I think people who look to the future with doom laden opinions is something to do with childhoods. Maybe it's perfect childhoods and the subsequent feeling that things have gone downhill outside the cocoon of childhood happiness. It's not natural to look to the future and feel fear, doom, apprehension.

It has happened a negligible number of times for a country that the future is worse than the past.
                                                                                                                    Just on the off-chance this is directed at me, I feel I should clarify my position.

I don't look to the future with a doom laden opinion. I personally think it's going to provide me with exceptional opportunities I probably wouldn't have ever considered when I was younger, or that I could have hoped for had I been born in the previous generation.

It's anyone that hasn't prepared that's fucked

Comment

...

Comment

Current generation of Italians live vastly better lives than every previous generation of Italians.

What were the job benefits like in the Roman Empire? Good holiday leave entitlements? Paternity leave?

Renaissance: let's paint some shitty pictures of Jesus and catch the plague.
                                                                                                                        I'm not arguing that people aren't better off now than 2000 years ago or even 2800 years ago.

What I am saying is that in 1320 when the population of Rome was 30,000 and the place was crumbling to pieces that peoples lives were much worse then they would have been on average 2,000 or 2,800 years ago. So the lesson is that things can be much worse for generations then they were for previous generations and that constant advancement and better quality of life is no way assured.

The Renaissance was actually an improvement from 1320 btw but on average still worse than 1 AD for the population as a whole.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X