Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll be so great if Bayern and Dortmund finish the job next week. While they obviously have great structures in place when it comes to training young players, the Spanish football authorities are so undeserving of success.

Tickets for both return games in Spain are twice the price of the first legs. In a country that today announced 27% unemployment and where 1,000 euro a month is considered a decent wage.

The time and day of fixtures is announced two weeks beforehand. Let's say I want to travel to an important away match in which my club might be fighting relegation, or for a Champions League place. In the unlikely event of me actually having a job, I don't know if the game will be on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday.

Once this obstacle is overcome, if the match is anyway important I can expect the home-team to capitalise on the complete lack of price regulation and bump up the ticket prices. Anyone who has ever watched Getafe play a home game will know they barely get 5,000 through the gates. Yet against Zaragoza last season the cheapest ticket for non-season ticket holders was 80euro. Getafe were comfortable in 10th, but Zaragoza were fighting for their lives.

If they had gone down they would have more than likely gone the way of many other big clubs and disappeared into financial oblivion like Oviedo, Racing Santander or Salamanca (hometown of Vicente Del Bosque) The latter's players haven't been paid for three months, and the captain has said he has had to borrow a bike to get to and from training as he can't afford petrol.

If a supporter finally gets to the stadium, he had better be on his best behaviour, because the fines given out are crippling. One person at a recent Salamanca match was fined 3,000 euro for displaying an offensive banner. The material in question: a picture of a hash plant that you would find on any Bob Marley t-shirt on the street. People have been fined up to 6,000 euro for having alcohol in the stadium.

As long as Real Madrid, Barcelona and the national team keep winning this apparently doesn't matter. The fact that over 50% of the teams in the top flight have either flirted with or gone into administration isn't an issue. The empty seats at any match not involving the big two is irrelevant, because 'Spain iz the best, and Haterz gonna Hate.' The sports news starts in an hour. If I turn it on, I'll see 20 minutes all about Real Madrid, 10 minutes about Barca, maybe one minute for Atletico Madrid, Valencia or one of the Sevillan teams and 3 minutes for all other sports, combined with 15 minutes of ads.

Tl;dr - Fuck you Barcelona, fuck you Real Madrid and fuck you Spanish football.

Comment

Just go to Glastonbury. You'll laugh at how shit Irish festivals are.

Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Best day ever, got my first bonus in work. It wasn't what I expected. It was 6.5 times more, wtf.

/tries to keep calm in meeting when asked "is this ok?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
          Would you have any idea what the EU rationale is behind the state having to cover private sector pension promises? Am I missing something, or does it seem very strange?
          I assume it's to protect ordinary people from corporate fraud. The kind of people who worked for Enron, had an Enron pension, put all their savings in Enron stock, and woke up one morning penniless.
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
            Best day ever, got my first bonus in work. It wasn't what I expected. It was 6.5 times more, wtf.

Do something degen with the extra you didnt think youd get. Win money. Rob on titties. Have great weekend.
            airport, lol

Comment

Congrats, underestimating your abilities obviously.

Comment

We should be eating horse apparently.

SPOILER

Comment

click on a few dots and see if this program guesses your age correctly.

Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by thedini View Post
                    Congrats, underestimating your abilities obviously.
                    I'm only a grad 7 months in. Taking home 6.5 months salary next month. Happy days.
                    There was a lot of fireworks going on behind my calm demeanor.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                      Just go to Glastonbury. You'll laugh at how shit Irish festivals are
                      Pretty much true though its twice the size now as it was when i went in the 1990s so can't imagine i'd fancy that much - no point having all that stuff on if you only get to see a fraction of it and it takes an hour to get from one end of the site to another.

Festivals have been ruined since normies cottoned on it was OK go to a field in the middle of nowhere, get drunk/high and listen to music all day and night.

Comment

So let me get this straight, its ok for the likes of Tony O'Reilly to rape private pension funds, bankrupt the businesses and leave the taxpayer to fund the deficit?

GTFO
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                          Pretty much true though its twice the size now as it was when i went in the 1990s so can't imagine i'd fancy that much - no point having all that stuff on if you only get to see a fraction of it and it takes an hour to get from one end of the site to another.

Festivals have been ruined since normies cottoned on it was OK go to a field in the middle of nowhere, get drunk/high and listen to music all day and night.
                          Yeah I don't go to festivals to see acts anymore, I just love the smaller sections in glasto and the general vibe about the place. None of that you can't bring your beer into the music section nonsense.

http://promovideo.co.ukVideo by Ian Burke - Promo Video UKhttp://promovideo.co.ukThe Shangri La field at Glastonbury festival 2009.Next to Arcadia just above...

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post

http://kgajos.eecs.harvard.edu/ag/
                            I gave up at set 2/10. Think that means I'm auld.
                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Computer skilz of a 44 year old...
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Just says 'you have completed the test, thank you' - what happens after that?
                                    Asks a few Q's, where from, how often do you use a computer then spits out score.
                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

I got 30 too.

Comment

Comment

A friend of mine has started a new company and its a new take on social networking.

Check out the site here www.CAYOVA.com and have a look at the video explaining it. Its a novel idea that seems to combine Facebook, Linked in and Myspace all in one place, it allows each user to have different profiles and helps protect privacy. There is also something about being paid for seeing ads which seems cool.

What do people think? could this take off?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                              We should be eating horse apparently.

SPOILER
                                              ah hell lets eat bugs as well, loadsa them buggers to choose from

Bugs you can eat, from A to Z! (This is a work-in-progress. Please feel free to add to it. Also, Worpress does some funky stuff with formatting this page…) Agave worm: Also known as the mague…

Comment

Always a tough one to frown distractedly while inwardly fistpumping like a maniac
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Portable hard drives really are the nuts. Got mine in Australia, so handy for travelling long bus journeys and waiting around for flights etc. Cool to swap movies and tv series with other travelers also.
                                                    Mines 1tb Toshiba should be picking these up for < 90euro. I never thought i would use the whole tb but its full now but has about 400 movies, 25 tv series, 30 docs and about 1000 photos. Worse thing is I got home and don't have a usb slot on my tv so can only use it on laptop until i buy a new tv
                                                    The passport ones are handy for travelling as ya don't have to plug it in.

This is my one http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/TOSHIB...ack/308552/326

Comment

Terry 'lickle' Griffiths and Dennis 'hadda' Taylor both F.O.S. I'll put up with the adverts on Eurosport, thanks.

Have Zeke and Robert Milkins ever been seen in the same room?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        So let me get this straight, its ok for the likes of Tony O'Reilly to rape private pension funds, bankrupt the businesses and leave the taxpayer to fund the deficit?

GTFO
                                                        No, it's not ok. What it does is greatly incentivise governments to prevent corporate fraud before it happens, because they'll have to foot the bill when it does. It forces regulators to do their jobs properly.
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Teaching an 8-week course for Boston University over the summer (sadly in Ireland, but happily for money). Apparently there's only going to be 3 students in the whole course. That's going to be awkward. Especially if they all choose to sit at the back. Or if two don't turn up, its a three hour lecture to just one person. Hmm
                                                          Doesn't sound ideal, would you change up your style for something like that. I'd be a loooot more interactive. Which is not the easiest over a 3 thousand miles.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                            Asks a few Q's, where from, how often do you use a computer then spits out score.
                                                            just says preparing results...forever. kept crashing between pages. We broked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Morihei View Post
                                                              Terry 'lickle' Griffiths and Dennis 'hadda' Taylor both F.O.S. I'll put up with the adverts on Eurosport, thanks.

Have Zeke and Robert Milkins ever been seen in the same room?
                                                              They're probably the best two commentators going now that Clive Everton is gone.

Comment

Bah back in Ireland 10 days, got offered a job with BOI however it's in Tallaght and lost my no claims bonus so getting some crazy quotes for insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                  I got 30 too.
                                                                  bollocks to that, im not 37!
                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                    They're probably the best two commentators going now that Clive Everton is gone.
                                                                    Pair of clueless old grannies.

Comment

33, using a touchpad though.

Comment

Running good these days..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 400/800 Blinds 80 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

MP3 (t15,750)
                                                                        CO (t17,197)
                                                                        Button (t11,060)
                                                                        SB (t30,450)
                                                                        BB (t14,140)
                                                                        Hero (UTG) (t9,985)
                                                                        UTG+1 (t9,000)
                                                                        MP1 (t13,155)
                                                                        MP2 (t11,276)

Hero's M: 5.20

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 6, 6
                                                                        Hero bets t9,905 (All-In), 6 folds, SB raises to t19,010, BB calls t13,260 (All-In)

Flop: (t38,745) 6, 10, 3 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t38,745) 10 (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t38,745) 10 (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t38,745

Results below:
                                                                        SPOILER

SB had A, Q (three of a kind, tens).
                                                                        BB had 10, A (four of a kind, tens).
                                                                        Hero had 6, 6 (full house, tens over sixes).
                                                                        Outcome: BB won t38,745

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                          Im blaming the lasagne, mashed spuds and gravy I had for lunch.

Sorry Paleo Bro's.
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Would you have any idea what the EU rationale is behind the state having to cover private sector pension promises? Am I missing something, or does it seem very strange?
                                                                            The State is supposedly regulating these promises and therefore people are relying on the promises for some or all of their retirement income. The State has been charging a fee for this service and talking the talk for a very long time. They also have a formal responsibility under EU law since 2008 which they chose to ignore.

Successive governments have chosen not to regulate or tell people the truth as it would upset the grey vote and rather than educate people they chose to award themselves even better pension deals in the public sector and fuck the private sector workers to the wolves as the private sector employees in the main hadn't a clue.

It's cost us in the banking sector and it's going to cost us even more as people get to retirement age and they find there's been a major hole in their pensions bucket for a very long time.

The State will now seek to put a levy/insurance premium on the remaining DB plans to pay for their incompetence and cowardice. As a result the DB plans will die in advance of this levy. They were dead anyway but didn't want to acknowledge it.

All the talk now will be about this decision being the death knell but it's a bit like a very fat obese man blaming that bit of exercise he did recently for his stroke.

Overall it's no bad thing as the only thing worse then no insurance is thinking and acting like you have insurance when you don't have any.

At least people in their 30's and 40's have a chance to do something about it and people in their 50's and 60's were fucked anyway and now they might at least get something even if it's done in a most unfair way.....

Once you touch pensions at all there is always a winner and loser from the status quo.
                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                              44 using a touchpad

Comment

I keep getting halfway through these finance posts and getting tilted by not know what DB stands for!

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                  EP line up is shit yeah (so far) or is that just my thinking?
                                                                                  It's enough to make me think twice about getting them for 150 to maybe sell later
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Hmm got 30, younger than some old 30 year old man. Must try it at home with the better mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                      I keep getting halfway through these finance posts and getting tilted by not know what DB stands for!
                                                                                      Defined benefit versus defined contribution, 2 ways to fund your future worthless pension.

DB...here is 500/week when you hit 65 for your 200/month, DC...give us 200/month and lets see how the dice rolls.
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

29 using a touch pad. Some sort of BS I assume.

I just got out of hospital after small surgeory and have categorically lost my passport. Im in Berlin. I can get an emergency one I think. Are you able to use these to book/check in on a flight online? Fooked if Im paying Ryanair their 80 quid for not having a boarding pass.

Also I have lost/had stolen/blacked out around four passports in the last few years-assume will be no drama getting a new one? Need one basically within a few days of getting back.

Comment

Actually how can one lose their no claims bonus on the fact I haven't being insured in Ireland for over a year. I've never claimed, annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                            29 using a touch pad. Some sort of BS I assume.

I just got out of hospital after small surgeory and have categorically lost my passport. Im in Berlin. I can get an emergency one I think. Are you able to use these to book/check in on a flight online? Fooked if Im paying Ryanair their 80 quid for not having a boarding pass.

Also I have lost/had stolen/blacked out around four passports in the last few years-assume will be no drama getting a new one? Need one basically within a few days of getting back.
                                                                                            Took me a week to get one whats the emergency?
                                                                                            If you had a bereavement or something maybe?
                                                                                            after a certain amount of passports they will tell you to fuck off.

If they read your posts here probably think you sold it to some turkish gangsters down at the oscar wilde pub.

Comment

49 using a touchpad.
                                                                                              Not very accurate

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                  The State is supposedly regulating these promises and therefore people are relying on the promises for some or all of their retirement income. The State has been charging a fee for this service and talking the talk for a very long time. They also have a formal responsibility under EU law since 2008 which they chose to ignore.
                                                                                                  Was the major damage to the fund not done way before the state had this formal responsibility though? From memory Waterford Wedgewood closed in 2010 after a decade of being a complete basket case (even during the Celtic Tiger years it was continually doing last minute emergency deals to stay roughly afloat).

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                                                                    Took me a week to get one whats the emergency?
                                                                                                    If you had a bereavement or something maybe?
                                                                                                    after a certain amount of passports they will tell you to fuck off.

If they read your posts here probably think you sold it to some turkish gangsters down at the oscar wilde pub.
                                                                                                    How long/many is it before fuck off you cant travel again for rest of your life?
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                      How long/many is it before fuck off you cant travel again for rest of your life?
                                                                                                      After a while they limit you to 1 year passports at the full ~€80 cost.
                                                                                                      Happened to a mate of mine on his fouth loss within the 10 year frame.

It helps to focus the mind on not losing it.

Comment

Teaching an 8-week course for Boston University over the summer (sadly in Ireland, but happily for money). Apparently there's only going to be 3 students in the whole course. That's going to be awkward. Especially if they all choose to sit at the back. Or if two don't turn up, its a three hour lecture to just one person. Hmm
                                                                                                        I will turn up for a reasonable rate. I will be attentive for an additional rate. I can ask pre-arranged questions for an additional additional rate.
                                                                                                        Let's talk numbers.
                                                                                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          Was the major damage to the fund not done way before the state had this formal responsibility though? From memory Waterford Wedgewood closed in 2010 after a decade of being a complete basket case (even during the Celtic Tiger years it was continually doing last minute emergency deals to stay roughly afloat).
                                                                                                          It depends.

The issue of the company being a basket case is irrelevant as the plan and it's assets are legally separate from the business but the plans ability to continue would have relied upon contributions from the members and the sponsoring employer. The growth in liabilities on an annual basis from people accruing service would be dwarfed by movements in the past service liabilities already accrued and funded for.

The pension scheme was probably fully funded in 2000 - 2002. Almost all DB schemes were. Assets would have dropped following the dot bomb but the real kick in the nuts would have been 2007/2008 with big asset drops plus much lower interest rates increasing the actuarial liabilities and the ongoing impact of improved longevity increasing liabilities during this period.

The state has been regulating Pension schemes for a very long time but in particular since the Pensions Act 1990 which established the Pensions Board and a host of other pension reforms. This is the chocolate fireguard which combined with the actuarial profession has provided the illusion of regulation and monitoring. It's really no different then the Central Bank's monitoring of the Banking industry and Investment management firms. A box ticking exercise that cost loads of money but has spectacularly failed to fulfill it's most basic function.

The EU ruling is a distraction from this imo but it will be the straw that breaks the camels back. So be it.

Lot's of the companies supporting DB pension schemes are now basket cases that's why you should have the plan fully funded independently of the sponsoring business.
                                                                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I have never lost a phone, wallet or passport. I can't understand how people can be so careless as to lose important stuff on a regular basis. Women I can sort of understand, but lads have pockets. No matter how messy I've been, and I've been bloody messy at times, I've always come home with all my possessions.

Comment

29 with a touchpad. I am very experienced at using my right hand dexterously while on the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                I have never lost a phone, wallet or passport. I can't understand how people can be so careless as to lose important stuff on a regular basis. Women I can sort of understand, but lads have pockets. No matter how messy I've been, and I've been bloody messy at times, I've always come home with all my possessions.
                                                                                                                Oh BBV god's please make him pay!

Opr

Comment

...

Comment

31...I'm 32
                                                                                                                    I'm suitably impressed
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The thing is, this should all be done based on fingerprint technology rather than physical paper passports. How difficult would it be to have a system that calls up your fingerprint and then links it to your passport details and various country visas?
                                                                                                                      Are fingerprint readers that quick?
                                                                                                                      Finding a match in a ~Billion entry database would surely need a serious bit of expensive computer power.
                                                                                                                      I suspect it would only be feasible in a few of the larger airports, so if you are going to need your paper passport anyway when you land in Beauvais, Windhoek or Knock?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                        Are fingerprint readers that quick?
                                                                                                                        Finding a match in a ~Billion entry database would surely need a serious bit of expensive computer power.
                                                                                                                        I suspect it would only be feasible in a few of the larger airports, so if you are going to need your paper passport anyway when you land in Beauvais, Windhoek or Knock?
                                                                                                                        Plus the Arab nations fingerprints would have to be read from right to left etc.
                                                                                                                        Logistical nightmare.
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                                                          Actually how can one lose their no claims bonus on the fact I haven't being insured in Ireland for over a year. I've never claimed, annoying.
                                                                                                                          2 year expiry date here on your NCB.
                                                                                                                          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X