This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleras View Post
    Should there be subs for The Monuments Men ?

2 versions dont have them.
    None on mine either. I gave up after about 40 minutes, heavy going I though.
    Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Glad I stuck with Agents of Shield. Last few episodes have been quality entertainment. I guess you couldn't have had it all gung ho for the first half of the series as it needed to build its own mythology within the greater Marvel tv/film world.

The finale was quite good, even though it inevitably concluded as you'd expect.
      SPOILER
      Can't beat good old comic book style justice. I thought Deathlok was a going to be a kamikaze hero.

Also a few questions:
      SPOILER
      Does anyone know what Skye's secret power/identity is? Or who her Dad is? Is Ward going to be a/the big bad in S2 or even S3? WTF is Garrett/Coulson's map about? Some map of the universe given the alien blood transfusion... Probably involves Skye too.

Jed Whedon is the fucking spit of Jay from the Inbetweeners too.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
        Only 20 mins in, have heard its not the best but enjoying it so far, except for the parts where they could be calling me a cunt and i dont know.
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Anyone know anything about Memorandum and Articles of Association? I dunno if it's company law or what. Anyway, the below seems to be standard, can anyone tell what it's purpose is?

'44.The Directors to retire in every year shall be those who have been
          longest in office since the last election
          , but as between persons who
          became Directors on the same day, those to retire shall (unless they
          otherwise agree amongst themselves) be determined by lot.

45.A retiring Director shall be eligible for re-election.'

Comment

Anyone know anything about Memorandum and Articles of Association? I dunno if it's company law or what. Anyway, the below seems to be standard, can anyone tell what it's purpose is?

'44.The Directors to retire in every year shall be those who have been
            longest in office since the last election
            , but as between persons who
            became Directors on the same day, those to retire shall (unless they
            otherwise agree amongst themselves) be determined by lot.

45.A retiring Director shall be eligible for re-election.'
            It is company law. If that refers to a management company of a multi-unit development it's a bit redundant.

Basically means first in, first out but depends on the rest of the sections.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Gas finish to this car chase compilation had me lol out loud unexpectedly.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

08:53 for anyone not bothered watching the finales of high speed chases with people getting shot and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                It is company law. If that refers to a management company of a multi-unit development it's a bit redundant.

Basically means first in, first out but depends on the rest of the sections.
                I took that from the revenue.ie template, which is practically the same as ours. My query is relating to a charity set up as company limited by guarantee. The parts I quoted relate to the election of officers at an AGM.

I just don't understand why some of the directors have to stand down and then be re-elected?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...r_taxes_en.pdf

Two countries in the EU have a tax on water consumption?
                  ...Did you see the amount of taxes for Romania...Racist people would say "no Wonder the fuckers come over here to pick pocket"...I'm not racist thought, I say fair balls to them having the guts to stick their hands in strangers pockets risking so many infections...

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                    That may be one of the most ridiculous questions I have ever seen in a legal exam.

Basically it's asking how International conventions and treaties, which can be incorporated into Irish law under Art 29.6 at the discretion of the Oireachtas. An example of this would be the European Convention on Human Rights Act 2003 which incorporated the ECHR into Irish law and gave the Courts an obligation to take judicial cognisance of the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights as well as the convention itself in the context of any proceeding before it.

Articles 8 and 12 both directly impact on family law here but there are innumerable other examples where it comes in to play.

Beyond that any regulation or directive touching upon the area of family law that is passed by the EU will likely have direct effect here or require incorporation into Irish law. While I can't think of any examples off the top of my head I am sure there are a good many.

I recall a case I was involved in where the judge adjourned the matter to hear submissions on whether or not the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child was directly effective in Ireland given that the EU had ratified the Convention. The answer, of course, is no given that Ireland has a dualist legal system (something that is DIRECTLY governed by Art. 29) meaning that while the State may bind itself to any international treaty that does not mean the treaty is incorporated into Irish law.

For example if Ireland entered into a treaty with the UK recognising international travel rights between the two countries no citizen here could sue the state on foot of that treaty as it does not create any domestic justiciable rights.

I dunno if that's of any use to you at all but it might be a start
                    Thanks a lot.

Have passed it onto the boss.
                    Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                    I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                    None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Ah jasus, you need to reconsider your abandonment after such a short time, that was very good i thought, a part of WW2 that I knew nothing about, staggering what Hitler was trying to do and on such a scale, the art side of it obv...not the final solution.
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

I took that from the revenue.ie template, which is practically the same as ours. My query is relating to a charity set up as company limited by guarantee. The parts I quoted relate to the election of officers at an AGM.

I just don't understand why some of the directors have to stand down and then be re-elected?
                        I think the rationale behind it is to promote good corporate governance. Having regular changes of directors means interests are aligned/directors don't get too comfortable etc. Of course in practice it doesn't make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                          I think the rationale behind it is to promote good corporate governance. Having regular changes of directors means interests are aligned/directors don't get too comfortable etc. Of course in practice it doesn't make a difference.
                          I suppose that makes sense, it's just that it also says they're eligible for re-election. It also says that new would-be directors have to have their name in between 3 and 21 days in advance and nominated by an existing director.

As you say, in practice it doesn't change anything really.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                            Ah jasus, you need to reconsider your abandonment after such a short time, that was very good i thought, a part of WW2 that I knew nothing about, staggering what Hitler was trying to do and on such a scale, the art side of it obv...not the final solution.
                            I am a cheese eating surrender monkey and capitulated.

Comment

Lol!

Her sky-ness
                              © 5starpool

Comment

Construction stimulus package....

What could possibly go wrong? Noonan didn't sound convinced himself. Hopefully just some bullshit pre-election promise that never happens.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-05-14, 07:46.
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    anyone else having a problem accessing gmail? Its not generally down, but wondering if its an Irish / UPC thing?
                                    Fine for me on UPC

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                      http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...r_taxes_en.pdf

Two countries in the EU have a tax on water consumption?
                                      Surely this list is clearly demonstrably false?

Given that I've just paid my water bill for the last 6 months, living in an EU country not part of the two.

Want to know more about the price of water? Find out how the price of water is calculated in the UK and how water companies work our your bills.

Water meters measure the exact amount of water you use, rather using an estimates, which could save you money.

Is it simply the difference being a "charge" and not a "tax" as argued above?

Comment

I pay fortunes for water and electricity in Malta, am under the impression water is calculated by usage as well. Although may be calculated by size of house rather than meter.

Comment

Using the same strats you used during a recession (I.e. past four years) as now, when things are properly taking off, is hardly a case for blaming education system.
                                          Are things really taking off again? In what industries? I'm seriously thinking of returning back to Ireland this year. At the point now where I need to decide if I want to pay almost $10k for a permanent resident visa and stay in Oz for a few more years or return this year and save the $10k and have the ability to cash in my Australian pension which is enough for a house deposit.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well I'm mainly knowledgeable about what's happening in finance. But maybe RichieM would know more about your area. Generally though we're nearly at full employment for professionals. The 11% unemployment is mainly people without third level.

You'd seriously consider Ireland over Sydney? Thought it was a default rule that no-one ever wants to return from Oz
                                                  My current contract is up at end of June and they are sponsoring me. If they don't renew that which is quite likely then I need to find someone else to sponsor me which is extremely difficult now as Australia changed the rules on these temporary working visas after a cry out from the Aussies that too many people on visas where taking their jobs!!

I always intend to come back and have been here 2.5 years now, getting married early next year also so, Ireland possibly turning things around it could be quite a good time to come back really. I would miss the Sydney lifestyle, the weather, beaches, the general positive vibe & great money but I don't see returning to Ireland as a bad thing and this year is as good a time as any really. Big decision in so many ways, actually much harder decision that the one to come out here. In the end if my contract doesn't get renewed my decision is essentially made for me so who knows!

Comment

Obviously, just to note, this is not a reflection on those people, if they weren't given the same chances as the rest of us.

The social rule in my secondary school was that everyone went to uni unless there was something desperately wrong with them, but you have a lot of other schools where the social convention was that no-one goes to uni unless there is something particularly outstanding about them.

That's one of the big things we need to fix in the country. Intergenerational poverty is biggest sign of state failure imo.
                                                    Less than 20% of my peers got a university/college place when I did the leaving cert (1995) granted that % has increased across the board in the intervening 20 years(fucking 20 years...jesus I'm old) but for our generation I would guess there is still a high percentage of people who don't have 3rd level education.

I agree with your central point around the next and current generation though, without 3rd level education of some description they are (for the most part) really going to struggle through life given the volumes who are now availing of 3rd level courses.
                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                                        My current contract is up at end of June and they are sponsoring me. If they don't renew that which is quite likely then I need to find someone else to sponsor me which is extremely difficult now as Australia changed the rules on these temporary working visas after a cry out from the Aussies that too many people on visas where taking their jobs!!

I always intend to come back and have been here 2.5 years now, getting married early next year also so, Ireland possibly turning things around it could be quite a good time to come back really. I would miss the Sydney lifestyle, the weather, beaches, the general positive vibe & great money but I don't see returning to Ireland as a bad thing and this year is as good a time as any really. Big decision in so many ways, actually much harder decision that the one to come out here. In the end if my contract doesn't get renewed my decision is essentially made for me so who knows!
                                                        Changes are too bad really, and it woulnt be too hard for somone in your field/experience I'd say.
                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Since joining the sweepstake and reading the threads i now understand the blank glassy eyed expression on people's faces when i start talking about IT infrastructure projects.
                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

If you come back you will look at Ireland with new eyes. You will either be delighted to stay or ready to leave again in a few months. It's really not a bad place to live at all.
                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                              Changes are too bad really, and it woulnt be too hard for somone in your field/experience I'd say.
                                                              I let 7 people go from my team last month half way through their contract, there is a bit of a downturn in the industry here with other telecoms companies letting hundreds go as well.

I arrived at the absolute peak and was able to get a payrise and maintain it but the reality is I'm $300/day more expensive than an Australia/resident because of the raping charges that the agency charges for giving me a visa so with the changes in policy and that extra cost it makes it a lot more difficult to. Anyway I will ride it out as long as I can but can see that the wave is dying!

Are you still planning on coming over?

Comment

I let 7 people go from my team last month half way through their contract, there is a bit of a downturn in the industry here with other telecoms companies letting hundreds go as well.

I arrived at the absolute peak and was able to get a payrise and maintain it but the reality is I'm $300/day more expensive than an Australia/resident because of the raping charges that the agency charges for giving me a visa so with the changes in policy and that extra cost it makes it a lot more difficult to. Anyway I will ride it out as long as I can but can see that the wave is dying!

Are you still planning on coming over?
                                                                Yeah I hope to be there by end of July. Couple of hurdles left to jump, some of which may mean no visa but Ill have to see.
                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Power outage at work = 2 hour early lunch while they try to sort it. Phone battery running unfortunately low though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                    ... I told dozens of people in Punchestown, including Ivan Yates while Strewelpeter went all "Falling Down" on the phone next to us.
                                                                    I must remember to tell the whole yarn about what was going on there when I get time, quite a long story and not all that interesting but the real high jinks was later that night when I took the bollix on face to face.

So was Nathy supposed to know about it because he missed it last night too if he did -FFS!
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Cant wait to see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUQ9s2ex4HE
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                        Power outage at work = 2 hour early lunch while they try to sort it. Phone battery running unfortunately low though.
                                                                        Charge it off your laptop? (Charge your laptop off the phone at the same time I suppose.)

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                                                          Thanks a lot.

Have passed it onto the boss.
                                                                          On reflection you want to look in particular at the dualist legal system element and how Ireland's international obligations and the State's domestic obligations do not align
                                                                          You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                          World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                            Charge it off your laptop? (Charge your laptop off the phone at the same time I suppose.)
                                                                            No laptop. I have a phone cable in my PC in work, but I'm not there. Last night was the first time in ages I forgot to charge my phone while sleeping. Went for a walk on the quays instead, lovely day for it. Phone at 4% now. Will get to charge it at my desk soon or else we'll be sent home (fingers crossed), although I'd be amazed if it's not fixed when I get back.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                              it was briefly mentioned in this thread here yesterday. On any occasion where I had the opportunity I was telling people about a horse called Grandmas Hands and saying that it was the best handicapped filly in training and that I was going to win a fortune off her this season. I waxed lyrical about her on The Final Furlong Podcast, I gave a talk in The National Stud a few weeks back with Donn McLean and at the end I told them all to watch out for this one, I was on the panel of The Dublin Racing Club and told them they wouldnt need money to back her as she was such a good thing off her mark of 79. I told dozens of people in Punchestown, including Ivan Yates while Strewelpeter went all "Falling Down" on the phone next to us. I rem saying somewhere that she would help fund the price of a new 5 series for me.

Anyway she ran last night. In a maiden. It was a ridiculously tough maiden and there was a 100 rated horse in it amongst others. The trainer loves a punt and I figured there was no way she was out to do it last night, and even if she was she might still fall short (this piece lends weight to me thinking she wouldn't be out to do it). She was dead in the market etc etc...

Anyway, she didn't just win, she beat them like red headed children @ 10/1. Next stop is likely to be a Group 1 (Irish 1000 Gns). My assessment was absolutely spot on. I just didn't back her. My phone was hopping all night. I am now depressed.
                                                                              Ugh. Mala Beach flashbacks!

Comment

For anyone who is/has been in the unfortunate circumstance of entering the Palliative Care System in Ireland (or has/had has someone close to them in it) the link below is an important survey to help the System move forward. Takes about 15mins to complete for those who have experience in this area and might be interested in giving feedback

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                  Glad I stuck with Agents of Shield. Last few episodes have been quality entertainment. I guess you couldn't have had it all gung ho for the first half of the series as it needed to build its own mythology within the greater Marvel tv/film world.

The finale was quite good, even though it inevitably concluded as you'd expect.
                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                  Can't beat good old comic book style justice. I thought Deathlok was a going to be a kamikaze hero.

Also a few questions:
                                                                                  SPOILER
                                                                                  Does anyone know what Skye's secret power/identity is? Or who her Dad is? Is Ward going to be a/the big bad in S2 or even S3? WTF is Garrett/Coulson's map about? Some map of the universe given the alien blood transfusion... Probably involves Skye too.

Jed Whedon is the fucking spit of Jay from the Inbetweeners too.
                                                                                  SPOILER

Does anyone know what Skye's secret power/identity is?
                                                                                  More than likely inhuman.
                                                                                  The blue alien was a kree, part of a race of aliens that experimented on Neanderthal humans through genetic manipulation and the changes were activated through exposure to Terrigen Mist. Its likely that 'Flowers' is also inhuman (what will I become?)
                                                                                  This Kree stuff would tie in with future MCU projects after age of ultron.

Is Ward going to be a/the big bad in S2 or even S3
                                                                                  Most likely not. At least in my opinion. There will be a continuing story with Hydra and there will also be the Age of Ultron fallout. His inability to speak will be part of it, I think. IMO, he'll be a recurring character on a redemptive arc. There is also the teeny tiny chance he could go all Frank Castle

WTF is Garrett/Coulson's map about? Some map of the universe given the alien blood transfusion... Probably involves Skye too
                                                                                  A map for finding Terrigen
                                                                                  Some kind of recipe for Terragenesis
                                                                                  Plans for a machine (again maybe concerning Terragenesis
                                                                                  We saw similar drawings in a previous episode in Russia I think

Agent of Shield Nerdy spoilers
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

...

Comment

Email from them yesterday saying could they have a quick chat today on Skype. Asked them if I should prepare anything in advance, they said no it was just a general chat. So, here I am 1 hour later sweating having been grilled by the HR director on my hopes and dreams, intensely on the CV content, if i was a fruit what fruit would i be. Jeremy Paxman would be proud of her technique. Round 1 to the Frenchies. There may be a Round 2 on their home turf, but I'd imagine there was some definite flaws in my interviewing skills that could inhibit progression.
                                                                                      I enjoyed living in Paris but be ready to pay astronomical rent though if you do get the job.

Comment

Email from them yesterday saying could they have a quick chat today on Skype. Asked them if I should prepare anything in advance, they said no it was just a general chat. So, here I am 1 hour later sweating having been grilled by the HR director on my hopes and dreams, intensely on the CV content, if i was a fruit what fruit would i be. Jeremy Paxman would be proud of her technique. Round 1 to the Frenchies. There may be a Round 2 on their home turf, but I'd imagine there was some definite flaws in my interviewing skills that could inhibit progression.
                                                                                        What uni is it out of curiosity.?

Comment

Scoop 6 mania has taken over IPB. I have never been so excited for such a long shot in my life. The excitement, interest and high level of degen along with how quickly it escalated is just beautiful.

Comment

So what sort of fruit are you hitch?
                                                                                            48

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                                              Scoop 6 mania has taken over IPB. I have never been so excited for such a long shot in my life. The excitement, interest and high level of degen along with how quickly it escalated is just beautiful.
                                                                                              What are the odds of winning? like 2million to one or something?
                                                                                              And the syndicate has something like 8500 line entries?
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Exams are over since yesterday. I may aswell do something useful for the few weeks I wont be working.

SPOILER
                                                                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

...

Comment

Its a new one thats a merger of Rouen and Reims. So they have a few campus. I gather Rouen BS is very good. Does it being a grande ecoles mean anything good?
                                                                                                    Surely zero chance of getting it if you do not speaka da lingo?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                                                      Let's hope we are alive going in to Race 2

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                          SPOILER

Does anyone know what Skye's secret power/identity is?
                                                                                                          More than likely inhuman.
                                                                                                          The blue alien was a kree, part of a race of aliens that experimented on Neanderthal humans through genetic manipulation and the changes were activated through exposure to Terrigen Mist. Its likely that 'Flowers' is also inhuman (what will I become?)
                                                                                                          This Kree stuff would tie in with future MCU projects after age of ultron.

Is Ward going to be a/the big bad in S2 or even S3
                                                                                                          Most likely not. At least in my opinion. There will be a continuing story with Hydra and there will also be the Age of Ultron fallout. His inability to speak will be part of it, I think. IMO, he'll be a recurring character on a redemptive arc. There is also the teeny tiny chance he could go all Frank Castle

WTF is Garrett/Coulson's map about? Some map of the universe given the alien blood transfusion... Probably involves Skye too
                                                                                                          A map for finding Terrigen
                                                                                                          Some kind of recipe for Terragenesis
                                                                                                          Plans for a machine (again maybe concerning Terragenesis
                                                                                                          We saw similar drawings in a previous episode in Russia I think

Agent of Shield Nerdy spoilers
                                                                                                          More AOS

SPOILER
                                                                                                          Ah I was hoping you'd have alternative answers, most of that is on reddit/i09 etc

I don't like the idea of Ward turning into "The Punisher" but a punisher style character would be cool.

What do you think about Deathlok and Fitz?

Definitely the show has blown wide open the whole MCU. Should be loads of obscure characters popping up.

Comment

always nice to start off the day like this

PokerStars Tournament #907651363, No Limit Hold'em
                                                                                                            Buy-In: $5.00/$0.50 USD
                                                                                                            1079 players
                                                                                                            Total Prize Pool: $22265.00 USD
                                                                                                            Tournament started 2014/05/15 13:30:00 WET [2014/05/15 8:30:00 ET]

Dear chips1234,

You finished the tournament in 1st place. A USD 4,008.15 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

You earned 565.04 tournament leader points in this tournament. For information about our tournament leader board, see our web site at http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/tour.../leader-board/

Congratulations!

Thank you for participating.

Comment

Its a new one thats a merger of Rouen and Reims. So they have a few campus. I gather Rouen BS is very good. Does it being a grande ecoles mean anything good?
                                                                                                              wow, great stuff. grandes ecoles means it's the elite schools, very very tough to get in to the best ones, and still pretty tough to get into the others, and a fair amount of work is to be done. there's basically an entrance exam for all, and the classification is done that way.

Comment

lingua franca is English in French business schools, presumably much to their chagrin.
                                                                                                                Exactly

Comment

I see an appropriately-named beast won the 5.30 at Tipperary.

12\1 and all.

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                                    Exams are over since yesterday. I may aswell do something useful for the few weeks I wont be working.

SPOILER
                                                                                                                    Feel free to red pen any grammar mistakes I'm making. It's the only way I'll learn.
                                                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I know some IPB members have been, and are, living in various parts of Asia, Oz and Europe, has anyone lived/worked in south america for an extended period of time?

Looking to get set up over here, trying to get as much info as I can!

Comment

Where are you? South America is fairly big.

Comment

Originally posted by Chranchel View Post
                                                                                                                          I know some IPB members have been, and are, living in various parts of Asia, Oz and Europe, has anyone lived/worked in south america for an extended period of time?

Looking to get set up over here, trying to get as much info as I can!
                                                                                                                          Cardshark lived in Argentina afair

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X