Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens to everyone when there isn't enough money to pay out from the pension fund?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
      What happens to everyone when there isn't enough money to pay out from the pension fund?
      euthanasia.

Comment

Non public service - those that are already retired at the point the fund goes broke get to keep full entitlements, those that not retired share pro rata if there is any balance remaining.

Public service - the taxpayer just continues to borrow more and more and more and more and ... you get the picture.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
            Non public service - those that are already retired at the point the fund goes broke get to keep full entitlements, those that not retired share pro rata if there is any balance remaining.

Public service - the taxpayer just continues to borrow more and more and more and more and ... you get the picture.
            And that's why the defined benefit world is dead. It's been hit by the five finger palm exploding heart technique and has about two more steps before it falls down dead. Even more reason to have a long term savings/pension fund tbh.
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
              So the day after the country got bum raped in the budget the Dail has been suspended cause Ming the dickhead decides to make a big fuss in there as his kids are being teased in school cause their Daddy doesnt wear a suit in the Dail. You couldnt make it up really
              I honestly struggle to find how how your amazed by this...........

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                Only if you have enough income to bring you there though surely? For example if you were out of work at present you could probably get €20k at 20 or maybe even 0%

I would guess that's more who it's aimed at, regardless of how it will actually be utilised by others.
                No. It would be much too easily gamed. 41% regardless of your current situation.
                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                  What if you have a smoke alarm yet it might have been taken down because it was it started beeping of its own accord (even when the battery was not in it!!) and it may be sitting beside the door in your apartment the last six months. Obv a hypothetical
                  Where there's an alarm...there's a bat. For more, visit http://itsh.bo/eaP5Oh.Watch Curb Your Enthusiasm online at HBO GO® http://itsh.bo/gtixFF.With HBO GO,...

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                  She's 20, think here name is Laura O'Connor, someone must know her?
                  One of my mates studies in that department, minor chance he might know her.
                  Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                  100% would have taken those chancers loots. Fook them imo.

Whats your beef with Niall Quinn? As in lanky Quinn? Went to see City play when I was younger and he must have spent at an hour after the game signing autograph, posing for pics. According to most reports he is a decent sort?
                  Also would have taken the money I think.

And as for Niall Quinn: go to 1:43
                  Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Don't actually have that much against him but his commentary is pretty rotten and annoying. Still much prefer him to Ronnie Whelan who is the nut-worst. I despise Ronnie Whelan.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                    Interesting tale and dilemma from this mornings taxi excursions.

I picked up this pair of drug heads from a local early house, now as far a wankers go these two are right up there with Niall Quinn but strangely enough, never much hassle just mouthy and generally noisy but always pay up and actually seem like ok humans.

Until this morning, out they come out of their heads and right away start banging on about prices and fares and robbing cab drivers, so i tell them to fuck off out of the car, they quickly apologise, we agree on a fare (€25) and off we go. 5 minutes out the road and they start, messing with everything, the meter, my licence, fucking everything and being very threatening. Now that doesn't bother me cause I know both these cabbages and they are about as genuinely threatening as SICKPUPPY on here. I let them on cause I have this awesome ability to drown everything out and sing Driving home for Christmas in my head.

When we get there they refuse to pay me and tell me I can call the guards or anyone they don't care. My default in the rare situation like this is to just let them away, I don't need the hassle and what the point anyway. So off they go happy as fuck.

However, an hour later the office comes over the radio and asks me did I find a wallet in the car from the lads I took to rosslare. Jackpot I think and insta answer that I found nothing. After a quick rummage I find said wallet under the seat and upon closer inspection there appears to be about €150 in fifties inside. Now, although these cunts screwed me and here I am presented with a chance at retribution I am somewhat uneasy about reaching into the wallet and even extracting my €25, let alone any more. Not because I fear a backlash, like I said these two are muppets. They didn't pay me but surely me stealing from this wallet is as bad as them cunts.

So I decide to set the wallet on fire but realise that this will not hurt them anymore as they will have no idea. Although I'm morally obligated not to steal from them I am a grudge holding vindictive bastard at heart.

So

SPOILER
                    i went to the local 'Freds Fashions' its kind of a charity clothes shop oxfam style and bought as much stuff as I could, put said items into a black bin bag and drop off at the SVDP next door, and as for the wallet, well it's now in the Garda barracks with a little receipt tucked inside. The
                    Chuckle brothers may never get it back as I doubt they are the sort to phone the cop shop or even possess the intelligence to consider this is where some lost property gets handed into. I really hope they do get it back though.

I'll post a photo of the receipt later, I even drew a smiley face on it.
                    About €150 in fifties?
                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                      This may sound like a silly question, but how do people tend to use their 7 inch tablets? Do they view them as home devices or carry them about? I wouldn't be interested in carrying one around, and if you are only going to use it at home then why use something as small as a 7 inch tablet.
                      for carrying around, at work train journeys etc i use it at home too watch films browse etc i think 7 inch is perfect size for portability
                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                        No. It would be much too easily gamed. 41% regardless of your current situation.
                        back to the drawing board for an all new cunning plan so
                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                          Was just looking at booking Rochestown Park hotel for UKIPT in February to beat the rush.

All hotels in Cork are coming in between €250-€300 for the 4 nights, Rochestown is €1250. Hmmm.

Doesn't even include brekkie!
                          It's a pretty nice spot the room I got the year I went down was absolute swanky!
                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

One of my mates studies in that department, minor chance he might know her.
                            Cool, she was nice. She was wearing my jacket and I went for a piss, I thought we were getting on pretty well but couldn't find her then.

I said to crazy catalan girl who stole the same jacket on friday, well I know this Laura studies Linguistics at Trinity and that she is in class this day next week at 9am, maybe I should just go and say hey, where's my jacket.

She told me I was a creepy stalker. I mean.... this from the person who stole my fucking jacket.

(not Laura, jury is out as to what she did with my jacket, perhaps she left it into lost and found at the club).
                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Why does it have to be all or nothing? Somedays when I'm out enjoying myself I ask myself the question. IF I had a million quid would this day be any better?

In general, the answer is no.

But those days aren't wet miserable days stuck in an office I grant you!!
                              I am on about AVC's.

I have a pension, been paying into it the last 12 years, had to up my contributions last year from 4 to 6% iirc, cos the fund, like so many defined benefit schemes are so far in the red (this is including the company pumping in an additional 1mm) and the thing could still be wound up if it doesnt hit what the government wants.

Not being a smart arse here but realistically ill be 75 when i get the opportunity to get any value from AVC's...and thats if im not dead before then.
                              This too shall pass.

Comment

How do you post a youtube link again? I have the xmas number one

Comment

@ Rigger, why do you keep giving mots your jacket? A smooth 'your nipples are showing love you might be cold' move or what?

Comment

Didn't watch any of the snooker this week, but flicked it on this morn and caught John Higgins 147 break. I found it really strange that there was no dividing wall between the 2 tables, especially as it's the 2nd biggest tournament on the calendar. Must be really off-putting and distracting for players. It's great for the crowd seeing both tables, but having half of 'your' audience looking at the other table and applauding must feel strange.

Also thought it was strange that Hawkins played on and took on a tricky pot on the other table as Higgins was finished up his 147 rather than stand up and take a moment and let the crowd cheers then settle down. The miss cost him frame and match and was a big mistake especially as he knew what was happening on the other table.

Comment

Anywhere in town though? Somewhere I can grab one today.
                                      any of those dodgy phone places around moore st etc
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Cool, she was nice. She was wearing my jacket and I went for a piss, I thought we were getting on pretty well but couldn't find her then.

I said to crazy catalan girl who stole the same jacket on friday, well I know this Laura studies Linguistics at Trinity and that she is in class this day next week at 9am, maybe I should just go and say hey, where's my jacket.

She told me I was a creepy stalker. I mean.... this from the person who stole my fucking jacket.

(not Laura, jury is out as to what she did with my jacket, perhaps she left it into lost and found at the club).
                                        @ Rigger, why do you keep giving mots your jacket? A smooth 'your nipples are showing love you might be cold' move or what?

This is a classic move, your out drinking thinking a girl is fit... but due to drinking you worry about beer goggles.... cue the taking of the Jacket so to see said possible hotty in an non- drunk state!!

This wolf-pack has cunning skills, so they do!!

WP Rigger WP

Comment

Lesson learned, tbh I didn't give the first girl my jacket, she stole it.
                                          I did give it to Laura and I'm not sure why. think I was just carrying it around so I put it on her as I didn't want to wear it myself at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                            Was just looking at booking Rochestown Park hotel for UKIPT in February to beat the rush.

All hotels in Cork are coming in between €250-€300 for the 4 nights, Rochestown is €1250. Hmmm.

Doesn't even include brekkie!
                                            Are you driving? Maldron Hotel is €212 for the 4 nights(cheapest hotel) for a double room and is 5.3km from Rochestown road. Bunk up with an IPBer who is heading down too and share the cost.

Either that or you can sleep on ACE's couch and do some babysitting for him..it's only a stone throw away from his house
                                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                              How do you post a youtube link again? I have the xmas number one
                                              Post the full link, but remove any 'query' 'or 'featured' bits of text in the link ; it should just be http://www.youtueb.com/watch?v=Z43v54S_zPQ rather than https://www.youtueb.com/watch?v=2JAE...ure=g-high-rec

Also make sure its http instead of https.
                                              Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 06-12-12, 14:28.

Comment

Batton down the hatches

ANALYSIS: Their lordships are not for turning on this one. Anyone who thought that, cowed by almost two decades of scandal and with such wounded leadership, the Catholic bishops would now be grateful to ignore the abortion issue and simply slink off into that good night was sorely mistaken. It is not so. But who would have expected them to take to the streets?

It is unprecedented for a group of Irish bishops to take part in a street protest. And with the support of their colleagues on the Irish Episcopal Conference. But that’s what happened on Tuesday night outside Leinster House.

There, Archbishop of Tuam Michael Neary, Bishop of Kilmore Leo O’Reilly, Bishop of Killaloe Kieran O’Reilly, Bishop of Ossory Séamus Freeman and Derry diocese administrator Msgr Eamon Martin attended the Pro-Life Campaign vigil with thousands of others.

Between them they represented the four metropolitan sees in Ireland – Armagh, Dublin, Cashel and Tuam – and were led by Archbishop Neary, whose Tuam archdiocese includes Castlebar, Co Mayo, of which the archbishop is a native, as is Taoiseach Enda Kenny.

It is not as if there wasn’t ample warning of a vigorous response from the bishops.

Last August, Catholic primate Cardinal Seán Brady threw down the gauntlet to the Oireachtas on this issue. Then, anticipating publication of recommendations by the expert group on abortion, he spoke to the Edmund Rice Summer School in Waterford.

He said it was “important as a church that we prepare with others to defend the equal right to life of a mother and child against any effort to introduce abortion to a country which is one of the safest places in the world for mothers who are expecting a child”.

“The recent judgment of the European Court of Human Rights on A, B and C v Ireland did not oblige the Irish Government to legislate for any form of abortion in Ireland.

“I believe any attempt to do so, even by way of a ministerial directive, will be vigorously and comprehensively opposed by many.”

That was two months before Savita Halappanavar’s death, since then we have been repeatedly assured Ireland “is one of the safest places in the world for mothers who are expecting a child”.

It was three months before the expert group on abortion published its proposals, which Bishop Leo O’Reilly described yesterday on RTÉ as “somewhat flawed”. He added that “three of the four proposals by the expert group include abortion, and that is not something that is acceptable in Catholic teaching, as everybody knows”.

In an RTÉ interview subsequent to his Edmund Rice address, Cardinal Brady went on to make it very clear what the bishops intended to do on the abortion issue.

If the Government decided to legalise abortions in the State, he said, “we would have a media campaign, we would be lobbying public representatives and also hope to write a pastoral letter on this situation, setting forth the argument which we have always held and providing resources to priests to preach on this topic in the pulpit”.

Their campaign has continued apace. In October Ireland’s Catholic bishops called on “all who believe in the equal dignity and beauty of every human life” to “join us in calling on our public representatives to respect the humanity and life of children in the womb and to reject abortion”.

A special pastoral message was read and distributed in all Catholic parishes on the island beginning a month of prayer on the theme “Choose life!”

One Minister who publicly recognised the significance of the cardinal’s words last August was Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Pat Rabbitte. In response he said a direct involvement by the Catholic Church in political campaigning on abortion would be a backward step for Ireland.

“I would be somewhat surprised at the cardinal’s reference to lobbying and engaging with, canvassing public representatives and so on on the matter,” he said.

“I don’t have any objection to any of the churches stating its position and making it clear but I think it would be a retrogressive step if we were to go back to the days of the Catholic Church dictating to elected public representatives how [they] should address an issue that a very large section of our society believes that governments in the past ought to already have done,” he said.

Well, it is happening.

Some might have thought that Ireland’s moral civil wars – fought so ferociously through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, over issues such as contraception, homosexuality, divorce and, above all, abortion – were over. They continue.

This, however, is shaping up to be the mother of all those battles.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Opr

Comment

May have been posted but its a classic.

Now Available On iTunes. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/let-the-snowflakes-fall/id584842935?i=584843188 ALL proceeds to Autism Ireland www.autismireland.i...

Comment

Lesson learned, tbh I didn't give the first girl my jacket, she stole it.
                                                      I did give it to Laura and I'm not sure why. think I was just carrying it around so I put it on her as I didn't want to wear it myself at the time.
                                                      I have another lesson for you as clearly you have been mislead. The aim is get them in less clothes not more clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                        I have another lesson for you as clearly you have been mislead. The aim is get them in less clothes not more clothes.
                                                        This is solid advice. I am going to start following this tightly. Will also be asking for full names and contact details up front before talking to any girls.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                          Batton down the hatches
                                                          some one please point out that god gave man free will to chose as individuals. If we remove this greatest gift that he gave us we are no better than wild beasts and as a result spitting in his face.
                                                          Something along the lines of the church can only advise on what is the path to salvation and that by removing the choice to be good or evil a persons soul is damned to purgatory.
                                                          If phrased correctly I imagine that a head melting argument for the anti-choice brigade can be made.

Comment

This is solid advice. I am going to start following this tightly. Will also be asking for full names and contact details up front before talking to any girls.
                                                            you should get iron on labels for all your jackets and put your name and contact details on them.would look cool and very functional imo
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                              Didn't watch any of the snooker this week, but flicked it on this morn and caught John Higgins 147 break. I found it really strange that there was no dividing wall between the 2 tables, especially as it's the 2nd biggest tournament on the calendar. Must be really off-putting and distracting for players. It's great for the crowd seeing both tables, but having half of 'your' audience looking at the other table and applauding must feel strange.

Also thought it was strange that Hawkins played on and took on a tricky pot on the other table as Higgins was finished up his 147 rather than stand up and take a moment and let the crowd cheers then settle down. The miss cost him frame and match and was a big mistake especially as he knew what was happening on the other table.
                                                              No dividing wall is part of Hearn's master plan. Terrible idea.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                you should get iron on labels for all your jackets and put your name and contact details on them.would look cool and very functional imo
                                                                Solid idea.

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                  Are you driving? Maldron Hotel is €212 for the 4 nights(cheapest hotel) for a double room and is 5.3km from Rochestown road. Bunk up with an IPBer who is heading down too and share the cost.

Either that or you can sleep on ACE's couch and do some babysitting for him..it's only a stone throw away from his house
                                                                  Booked The Clarion in the end, wife is down too for some horsey/work crap so didnt book the Maldron as its a bit shitty (WiFi my hole).

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                    I am on about AVC's.

I have a pension, been paying into it the last 12 years, had to up my contributions last year from 4 to 6% iirc, cos the fund, like so many defined benefit schemes are so far in the red (this is including the company pumping in an additional 1mm) and the thing could still be wound up if it doesnt hit what the government wants.

Not being a smart arse here but realistically ill be 75 when i get the opportunity to get any value from AVC's...and thats if im not dead before then.
                                                                    Not being a smart arse but you are wrong. You've confused member contributions with AVCs, and an employer matching contribution into a DC plan with a DB plan deficit funding scheme which is likely doomed to failure.

You are dismissing making AVCs because you are making member contributions into a DB plan in deficit. Hardly a reason for other people not to contribute to a DC plan with a matching employer contribution is it?

A DB pension plan and in particular your DB pension plan sounds like it's very unlikely to pay you anything for your regular member contributions. I've been advising clients and sponsoring employers about this for years and got told I was wrong and stupid a number of times. Their loss not mine.

I in particular remember a poster on AAM arguing with me that any DB plan (irrespective of benefit structure or the weakness of the sponsoring employer covenant) was better then a DC plan. He beat me with his experience of such arguments.

Personally in your spot I'd be lobbying the company to stop taking my member contributions and looking for a DC plan with a matching employer contribution going forward.

If you don't get it then your actual benefit package from the job is realistically Salary less member contributions as you can probably kiss the member contributions and the employer contributions goodbye as the pensioners might see the benefit but you very likely won't.

If someone else is offering you a job with the same salary plus pension contributions into a DC plan for your sole benefit I'd advise you to strongly consider the offer.

It's not very much different from the PRSI we are all currently paying which is very unlikely to provide us with the same level of real benefits in the future as current recipients receive. If anything.

However, and this is the crucial point, AVCs are entirely legally different from member contributions into an underfunded DB plan. AVCs will be paid out to you and if you die they will be paid to your estate. They won't just disappear unless you invest in something which gets 100% wiped out (leveraged property for example) which is your own responsibility as you choose the investment strategy for your AVCs.

If you are worried about them being in anyway linked to the pension plan and therefore not accessible you could do an AVC prsa and retire it separately at any age over 60 (and in some cases from age 50 on genuine retirement or illness) but AVCs under a DB plan trust rank second in the order of priority behind the windup expenses. Therefore the value will be paid to you or your estate if you die in the morning.

How is that any different to any other form of long term saving? It isn't to my mind except it's DIRT free, locked in for a period and pre income tax (in general good things imo). If you know you are going to die in the next while then that's fine leave it alone. If you need the money now, then that's a good reason not be saving for the long term as I already said.

If there is a chance you'll live then it is probably a good idea to also plan for that potential future.

I think I offered to advise you for free on your pension arrangements before and you never bothered giving me a call. Next time I'm charging you as you'll appreciate it more!!

Comment

how about not taking your jacket/scarf/gloves off in the pub/club, that way you can't lose them.
                                                                      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

There's fierce competition I'm sure, but I think I met a candidate for the ultimate slut last night. My mate's girlfriend (herself possibly in contention for a place on the podium, but not quite loose enough to bring home the bacon) came along to the club we were in with her friend.

Her friend spent the first 10 minutes shiting on about her recent wedding and showing us the ring. Then, she walks up to another friend of ours (who to be fair to him had missed all the wedding talk and didn't know she was married) and whispers in his ear 'in the toilets, in two minutes.' Right on cue she trots off to the lads jacks and waits in the cubicle for my mate, who duly followed her in.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                          how about not taking your jacket/scarf/gloves off in the pub/club, that way you can't lose them.
                                                                          You'd need fingerless gloves then to get moneys for the pints and they are too creepy for a club. Add sunglasses to that combo and think you are sorted

Comment

You'd need fingerless gloves then to get moneys for the pints and they are too creepy for a club. Add sunglasses to that combo and think you are sorted
                                                                            will wear this soon, bet it works a treat.

Yea, I dunno, gets too hot?

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                              Bad choice. Would look like your mother did it for you. Get business cards made with your name and contact details on them and always leave one in your pocket.

Comment

no, wear normal gloves and tell the ladies you can't get money out of your pockets.

boom, free drinks.

Comment

Bad choice. Would look like your mother did it for you. Get business cards made with your name and contact details on them and always leave one in your pocket.
                                                                                  Nonsense, far too subtle.

Wear a badge with your name on it.
                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I thought of a prop bet idea but it's possible that I have heard it before?

The idea is that for a period of time, the person can only buy things in a particular agreed upon €2 store. Everything they buy. Some of those shops sell some food items like shitty noodles and soft drinks, toiletries and all sorts of sh1te.

So what's the over/under, how long could someone do it for?
                                                                                    I think the food stuff would be the main problem.

Comment

The Book Depository are having a 24 hr sale for anyone interested.

Also, Fat Cheese do cash back for this site.
                                                                                      .
                                                                                      . .

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                        Nonsense, far too subtle.

Wear a badge with your name on it.
                                                                                        Or exchange phone numbers before allowing people to wander off in your garments.

Comment

Hah, that cretin Ronan Mullen-
                                                                                          we have no obligation to legislate for "medical mythology"
                                                                                          Alanis Morrissette is spinning in her grave.

Comment

Or exchange phone numbers before allowing people to wander off in your garments.
                                                                                            Again, unnecessary.

Handcuff yourself to them in the pub. Problem solved.
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

looks too uppity.

Get a stencil of your name number and address and spray paint it onto the back of your coat.

Wear your coat at all times.

if a girl asks your name, turn your back on them. You're both giving them your info and playing hard to get at the same time.

checkmate.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                                                Not being a smart arse but you are wrong. You've confused member contributions with AVCs, and an employer matching contribution into a DC plan with a DB plan deficit funding scheme which is likely doomed to failure.

You are dismissing making AVCs because you are making member contributions into a DB plan in deficit. Hardly a reason for other people not to contribute to a DC plan with a matching employer contribution is it?

A DB pension plan and in particular your DB pension plan sounds like it's very unlikely to pay you anything for your regular member contributions. I've been advising clients and sponsoring employers about this for years and got told I was wrong and stupid a number of times. Their loss not mine.

I in particular remember a poster on AAM arguing with me that any DB plan (irrespective of benefit structure or the weakness of the sponsoring employer covenant) was better then a DC plan. He beat me with his experience of such arguments.

Personally in your spot I'd be lobbying the company to stop taking my member contributions and looking for a DC plan with a matching employer contribution going forward.

If you don't get it then your actual benefit package from the job is realistically Salary less member contributions as you can probably kiss the member contributions and the employer contributions goodbye as the pensioners might see the benefit but you very likely won't.

If someone else is offering you a job with the same salary plus pension contributions into a DC plan for your sole benefit I'd advise you to strongly consider the offer.

It's not very much different from the PRSI we are all currently paying which is very unlikely to provide us with the same level of real benefits in the future as current recipients receive. If anything.

However, and this is the crucial point, AVCs are entirely legally different from member contributions into an underfunded DB plan. AVCs will be paid out to you and if you die they will be paid to your estate. They won't just disappear unless you invest in something which gets 100% wiped out (leveraged property for example) which is your own responsibility as you choose the investment strategy for your AVCs.

If you are worried about them being in anyway linked to the pension plan and therefore not accessible you could do an AVC prsa and retire it separately at any age over 60 (and in some cases from age 50 on genuine retirement or illness) but AVCs under a DB plan trust rank second in the order of priority behind the windup expenses. Therefore the value will be paid to you or your estate if you die in the morning.

How is that any different to any other form of long term saving? It isn't to my mind except it's DIRT free, locked in for a period and pre income tax (in general good things imo). If you know you are going to die in the next while then that's fine leave it alone. If you need the money now, then that's a good reason not be saving for the long term as I already said.

If there is a chance you'll live then it is probably a good idea to also plan for that potential future.

I think I offered to advise you for free on your pension arrangements before and you never bothered giving me a call. Next time I'm charging you as you'll appreciate it more!!
                                                                                                I dont remember that...

Believe it or not i spent nearly 2 years as a financial advisor for Royal Liver in a previous life, have a nice little travel clock to show for it !

Everyone is different and everyone has different financial goals.

We have a fairly decent share scheme in work that lets you match from the top line like AVC's up to revenue limits that pays me every 3 years tax free, although from yesterday that may not be PRSI free from my understandings, i realise they are not matched but it is available to me a lot sooner than retirement age.
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by carlop View Post
                                                                                                  There's fierce competition I'm sure, but I think I met a candidate for the ultimate slut last night. My mate's girlfriend (herself possibly in contention for a place on the podium, but not quite loose enough to bring home the bacon) came along to the club we were in with her friend.

Her friend spent the first 10 minutes shiting on about her recent wedding and showing us the ring. Then, she walks up to another friend of ours (who to be fair to him had missed all the wedding talk and didn't know she was married) and whispers in his ear 'in the toilets, in two minutes.' Right on cue she trots off to the lads jacks and waits in the cubicle for my mate, who duly followed her in.
                                                                                                  The usual pics...

Comment

looks too uppity.

Get a stencil of your name number and address and spray paint it onto the back of your coat.

Wear your coat at all times.

if a girl asks your name, turn your back on them. You're both giving them your info and playing hard to get at the same time.

checkmate.
                                                                                                    Or just walk up and insult them and then try to win them over.
                                                                                                    Will report back.

Need ideas for the insult. I am thinking 'you look retarded'.

Comment

The usual pics...

Comment

Will report back.

"you sweat alot, even for a fat bird"

Comment

The usual pics...

Comment

Nice ring alright..what about the body?

Comment

Nice ring alright..what about the body?
                                                                                                              The ring is actually not a bad representation of her body...

Comment

Will report back.

Whats with the fancy dress? Really you chose to go out in public like that on purpose?

Comment

The ring is actually not a bad representation of her body...
                                                                                                                  what on earth does this mean? Massive hole?

Comment

She's rotund.

Comment

I would say it more references the round nature of her figure?

Looks like we're in for a proper wintery blast next week according to the weather heads on boards.

Opr

Comment

I think she is a fat mess is what he is implying

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                                          I dont remember that...

Believe it or not i spent nearly 2 years as a financial advisor for Royal Liver in a previous life, have a nice little travel clock to show for it !

Everyone is different and everyone has different financial goals.

We have a fairly decent share scheme in work that lets you match from the top line like AVC's up to revenue limits that pays me every 3 years tax free, although from yesterday that may not be PRSI free from my understandings, i realise they are not matched but it is available to me a lot sooner than retirement age.
                                                                                                                          I may be mixing you up. I'm getting old.

Share schemes are great. Especially if you are disciplined in selling the stock and/or hedge the share price so you're not doubly exposed (on the employment and share price front). Doesn't mean you can't be churning them into AVCs once they vest though!

I once spoke to an employee working on the shop floor and he had a 250k exposure to his employer's stock and very little other savings bar a modest AVC pot and a few quid in the bank.

The share price for that stock has halved since then. I often wonder if he diversified his portfolio like I advised him to. Also his employer is now reneging on his pension promise and having redundancies with reduced terms. This risk stuff is pretty real.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X