X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
    I need some ideas about getting fit.

Now I am generally of the opinion that moving is an unnatural disruption of one's homoeostatic state, something to be avoided barring visual confirmation of fire or oncoming traffic.

This is a fine opinion in many ways, but also unhealthy. I would like to be physically fitter.

The question is how I can best do it given my long list of prejudices against a variety of forms of moving. I don't think I'll ever be a jogger in this country - I always think that it is cold and wet outside, and sometimes it even is. *shudder*

I will likely never set foot in a gym, nor do I have an interest in home based running or cycling machines. Despite a couple of attempts over the past couple of years I still can't swim as such. In the summer I procrastinated over what bike to buy for 2 months and then bought none.

This is leaving me with few outs. Now when I say get fitter I don't necessarily mean what some of you fine people seem to mean by it. I kind of just mean do something physical. Being fitter would be nice, but also just something to remind me that I have a body.

I tried yoga for the first time yesterday. It was awful. I believe it may have just been the instructor who came in (it was the beginning of a course) without announcing his name or saying anything about yoga and just started barking instructions very fast to do various physical things.

It continued like that for the whole hour and it wasn't one bit enjoyable. Like Tai Chi I also didn't like the aspect of it where I was struggling to replicate what was being demonstrated, and worrying about adjustments. I don't want to spend an hour of my life fretting over whether my hands are quite in the right fucking place or what have you.

So what suggestions might anyone have for another form of exercise or physical something or other? I have no physical exercise and by rights should probably be dead, but since I never put on any weight it isn't as visually apparent how much I need it.
    Don't do a class or start doing a sport that will be too active day 1.

Injury is almost guaranteed. Squash is injury central even though it's great fun but you can't help yourself when playing it even if you are hugely unfit.

Walk more. Then walk everyday. Concentrate on walking tall, holding your core steady and leaning your head slightly forward to watch your path. Make sure your glutes "fire" in time as you walk.

Go to a personal trainer (not in a gym) who can carefully monitor how weak your core, legs are etc. and build them up without risking injury.

€10 - €15 for a 60 minute class where you are one of 20 people and essentially 57 minutes unsupervised doing jerky and vigorous exercises isn't a good idea imo. Getting a 1-1 personal training session or 2-1 session for ~€60 for an hour will yield mush better, tailored results.

A basic core group of exercises done well and mastered would be good. Things such as modified plank movements, combination glute exercises, squats and modified push ups and some foam rolling and decent dynamic stretching would yield great benefits over time.

Once a week with a PT and with a simple training plan for 1 other independent session per week would be fine for 6 months or even a year.

Start eating foods which help to build and repair your body if you don't already. My views on food are already out there.

Over time then you could add in a pick up game of basketball, 5 a side, ultimate frisbee but I wouldn't bother with that for at least 12 months.

Good luck.
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Di Matteo sacked ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
        Has anyone here any experience of getting laser eye surgery done? It's something I think I'd like to get done but then can't help thinking it's simply an elective surgery on a very sensitive organ, which has possibly massive downsides (does it or is this risk element minute these days?) ...

I'm pretty squirmish when it comes to anything to do with blades etc so I can't imagine the procedure would be much fun, but if I was to get it done I might as well do it sooner rather than later. Anyway any opinions or TRs would be great, thanks
        I got it done a couple of years ago, best thing I ever did. Contact lens never suited me(eyes were always bloodshot) so I always had to have the glasses on.

Going with advice, definitely go private or get the best treatment. Only a couple of poker wins really. You can never be too sure with your eyes so if you have a bit of money go for the best. I got it done privately and it cost €2,500 per eye compared to the €600 per eye for optilase. The machine that is in Waterford for optilase is actually owned by the private doctor that did my eyes. He spent a couple of million on it and just hires it out to optilase. I'd rather have him doing the op on me not some foreigner..

Blurry vision lasts a few hours. My doc just told me to go to bed for a few hours and after that my vision was pretty good. The tell you to wear sunglasses for a week too. I was playing golf the next day!

The operation itself is pretty uncomfortable..not painful but they have an instrument that keeps your eyes open for the op that's annoying. Well worth the pain for only a 20 minute op.
        Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by thedini View Post
          Di Matteo sacked ffs.
          Rode his luck.

Comment

Originally posted by thedini View Post
            Di Matteo sacked ffs.
            source?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
              source?
              Manager Roberto Di Matteo has parted company with Chelsea, the club have announced.
              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Benitez or Redknapp.

Oh dear.

I upset.

Comment

Rafa in!

Comment

Just spotted this lol

Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                      Rafa in!
                      Fu

Comment

I see Santa has written into the Irish Times encouraging the children to get their letters in early.

The Grafton Street Christmas lights were switched on last week.

The ads for the toys are on the telly.

In the circumstances I think it is about time the IPBers got into the festive spirit.

Therefore, on behalf of the community, I officially declare the CHRISTMAS SEASON OPEN!!!

Allow me begin ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8
                        One of these days I am either going to quit poker or learn how to play the damn game

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
                          I see Santa has written into the Irish Times encouraging the children to get their letters in early.

The Grafton Street Christmas lights were switched on last week.

The ads for the toys are on the telly.

In the circumstances I think it is about time the IPBers got into the festive spirit.

Therefore, on behalf of the community, I officially declare the CHRISTMAS SEASON OPEN!!!

Allow me begin ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8
                          Feck off its November

Comment

Who thinks 40something deserves a ban till say Dec 8th?

Comment

Di Matteo was only given the contract as a thanks for the CL win. Wouldn't be surprised if they told him he was gone in 2 months anyway

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                Who thinks 40something deserves a ban till say Dec 8th?
                                21st imo. Last day of work = start of christmas

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                  Has anyone here any experience of getting laser eye surgery done? It's something I think I'd like to get done but then can't help thinking it's simply an elective surgery on a very sensitive organ, which has possibly massive downsides (does it or is this risk element minute these days?) ...

I'm pretty squirmish when it comes to anything to do with blades etc so I can't imagine the procedure would be much fun, but if I was to get it done I might as well do it sooner rather than later. Anyway any opinions or TRs would be great, thanks
                                  I had it done about 5 weeks ago, I used Optical Express in Dublin as both my mother and sister had used them with fantastic results so I felt , for me anyway, it was best to go with them.

I had the LASEK done and my understanding is that you don't have a choice between it and LASIK as it is all dependent on your eyes. LASEK takes longer to recover from fully as it is a more invasive procedure. 5 weeks later and I still don't have the benefit of full 20/20 vision. This is due to astigmatism on my eyes as a result of the procedure as apparently the eyes are actually working at full 20/20 but the astigmatism gives a hazy or blurry effect. This can take up to 3 months to fully heal. The procedure itself was totally painless for me as the anaesthetic drops they use are great. It was more disconcerting to know what they were doing and see it but not be able to feel it!

Having said all of that my eyesight is still drastically better than it had been previously ( to the extent that glasses or lenses would make no difference), I can drive ( and have been since week 1), read, watch TV, watch live sport, use the computer all with no issues whatsoever. At times the vision is not as sharp as it could be (for example reading the ticker on a news channel from across the room may not be possible at the minute) but I am noticing a marked improvement every week.

As others have said it is some of the best money I have ever spent and would do it again tomorrow if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                    21st imo. Last day of work = start of christmas
                                    Trying to eat a sandwich on my break I've a Xmas tree in front of me. A wreath to my left and when I look down a big lit up metal tree. Ffs wait till December at least
                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                      Trying to eat a sandwich on my break I've a Xmas tree in front of me. A wreath to my left and when I look down a big lit up metal tree. Ffs wait till December at least
                                      What kind of sandwich?
                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                        Is a single cannabis plant worth €833 now?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...reaking57.html
                                        The rate they are closing down grow houses they could be worth twice that by the holiday season!
                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                          What kind of sandwich?
                                          Roast chicken red onions black olives brie cheese rocket and tomato and mayo toasted
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Roast chicken red onions black olives brie cheese rocket and tomato and mayo toasted
                                            why do I reckon that its a plain ole ham sambo lol
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                              why do I reckon that its a plain ole ham sambo lol
                                              I take my sandwiches very seriously. The only ham sambo I would eat is the one on Xmas eve after the pub
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Too much veg/fruit/aeronautical components.
                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Only two sangwiches in culchie-land - the taayto one and the aforementioned xmas turkey and ham combo

Comment

Too much veg/fruit/aeronautical components.
                                                    Ideally there would be several meats. Needs plenty of veg too though. Best sambo I ever had was in a little Italian deli in North beach san francisco. They know how to layer several different meats
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Had a corned beef sambo last night.

Was pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post

Was pleasant.
                                                        Was it real Corned Beef or that shit from a tin? If it was real, Huzzaah.

Comment

President Obama and Mitt Romney won roughly an equal number of votes among straight voters, but the president carried the gay vote three to one.

Obama won the gay vote 3:1. That's astounding, how the hell did 22% of gay people decide that conservative Mormon Romney was their choice for the job?

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post

Was pleasant.
                                                            When is the baby due?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                Lol out loud

Comment

The fuck are Chelsea at? Roman should of just left RDM there until Pep wanted a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                    Obama won the gay vote 3:1. That's astounding, how the hell did 22% of gay people decide that conservative Mormon Romney was their choice for the job?
                                                                    Maybe a good percentage of gay people don't vote purely on the basis of which candidate is best for gays? Instead voting on the issues like the rest of the hetero population.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/us...9FB7ADDE3A7595

organisations like the Log Cabin Republicans show that gay people can still hold conservative views.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                        Where did you see this?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                          Maybe a good percentage of gay people don't vote purely on the basis of which candidate is best for gays? Instead voting on the issues like the rest of the hetero population.
                                                                          They tend to be more liberal on most issues though. It's seems a bit odd to support a party that is deliberately and strongly against your interests.

What issues would they be voting on? They must really like the tax cuts or something.

Comment

BREAKING NEWS : Rafa Benitez has been sacked as Chelsea manager

Comment

Just checking the tracking for a parcel that i'm expecting today. wtf? Is there a need for it to visit more countries in Europe than i have!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                Just checking the tracking for a parcel that i'm expecting today. wtf? Is there a need for it to visit more countries in Europe than i have!
                                                                                It might be named next manager of Chelsea if it hangs around much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                  It might be named next manager of Chelsea if it hangs around much longer.
                                                                                  and sacked before it even arrives...

Comment

They tend to be more liberal on most issues though. It's seems a bit odd to support a party that is deliberately and strongly against your interests.

What issues would they be voting on? They must really like the tax cuts or something.
                                                                                    Maybe they preferred the Republicans foreign policy, crime policy, tax policy or health care policy or whatever.
                                                                                    It seems unlikely, insulting even, to expect that gay people would merely vote on which candidate is moderately more gay friendly. Kind of pigeonholing them into being single issus voters for their entire lives.

Given that, as you say, they would be generally more liberal, 78/22 split seems about right I think.

Comment

Strepsils for breakfast, fml.

Fancy cunt. Did you make it?
                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Maybe they preferred the Republicans foreign policy, crime policy, tax policy or health care policy or whatever.
                                                                                        It seems unlikely, insulting even, to expect that gay people would merely vote on which candidate is moderately more gay friendly. Kind of pigeonholing them into being single issus voters for their entire lives.

Given that, as you say, they would be generally more liberal, 78/22 split seems about right I think.
                                                                                        I guess I was a bit flippant in my initial post but I think it's a bit more nuanced than this. It's not that Obama is a bit more gay friendly, it's that Romney and the groups he has to pander to, fundamentally believe that they're "sinful" going to hell, and should be denied basic rights.

I don't think it's pigeonholing anyone to have that as a greater weighting than crime or the economy.

Ronan Mullen might be an economic genius but I still never vote for him.

Comment

I guess I was a bit flippant in my initial post but I think it's a bit more nuanced than this. It's not that Obama is a bit more gay friendly, it's that Romney and the groups he has to pander to, fundamentally believe that they're "sinful" going to hell, and should be denied basic rights.

I don't think it's pigeonholing anyone to have that as a greater weighting than crime or the economy.

Ronan Mullen might be an economic genius but I still never vote for him.
                                                                                          Romney has excellent hair. I presume that 22% just felt that being slightly more accepted by the president in Washington made much less of a difference to their lives than what Mitt could bring to the table.

I seriously doubt many health care professionals or wall street types voted for Obama since their earnings have taken a serious kicking. I also imagine that a percentage of gay people are racist and think obama is too black.

Couple this with some long voting republican families wont have chased their kid out the door and got a street mob to beat him till he reached San Fran means that some will still vote with their family traditions.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                                                            Strepsils for breakfast, fml.

Fancy cunt. Did you make it?
                                                                                            No anita in o briens did.
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

1. Chelski Sign Rafa

2. Chelski give Rafa Billions to spend

3. Rafa has taken a look at himself during his time off and realized that dull football is dull & football is about controlling the ball, not about controlling field position (most doubtful of all but you never know)

4. Chelski win something

5. Certain people() see this, through whatever prism there version of logic skewed off through years ago as proof that Rafa was going to win twentieen million trophies playing the most beautiful football ever at Liverpool, if given time

6. Internet dies a little inside

Can English football fuck off and die yet?

Comment

Off to malin in Donegal for a wedding. Can't wait always great bants up that way

Comment

Just got slapped off the sitting room floor . Polished the couch with Mr sheen this morning and some must have landed on the floor . Went flying and hopped my head off the floor
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Just got slapped off the sitting room floor . Polished the couch with Mr sheen this morning and some must have landed on the floor . Went flying and hopped my head off the floor
                                                                                                      Is there a video this time too?
                                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Bants is such a horrible annoying word. What ever happened craic?
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Comment

13/2 aguero to score city to win
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

That's the first time I've heard that, really fucking hate "cray"
                                                                                                              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Is the floor ok?
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I blame this guy
                                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                                                                                    Is there a video this time too?
                                                                                                                    Nope afraid not. It hurts to fall when sober, weird that !

Is the floor ok?
                                                                                                                    just a tiny dent

now piss off Im painting my toenails !
                                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

...
                                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

trying to play quakelive on lappie and unsure of controls

I know keys WASD=forward,left,back,right and left click fire right click zoom

anyone play it and tips please as i am shite atm and just go round in circles/get lost

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                                          Where did you see this?
                                                                                                                          Reddit or maybe G+, unfortunately I don't know anyone deranged enough to have it on their facebook for real.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X