GAA Betting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National (gaelic) Football League thoughts

Just looking at the outright prices there for the various divisions.

Division 1 has now the best eight teams in the country and is fiercely competitive.
    You could make a case for any of them to go well except for say Down. Picking a winner is not easy though as on any given day in these league encounters Dublin, Cork, Donegal, Mayo, Kerry,Tyrone and Kildare can easily beat one another so personally I think it's too hard to call and betting on it would be madness.

Look for value game to game IMO

Division 2
    Unlike Div 1 where i'd be like most others and know the teams and players reasonably well I dont know alot about the teams but....

Longford @16/1

Longford are a standout 16/1 with paddypower as the rank outsiders along with Louth.
    Now Paddypower must know something we dont know because if anyone wathced Longford in the championship last year you know that they are well capable of beating any of the teams in this division. they play a really nice style of football, very skilful players. very fast, fit running game and their manager seems to know what he's doing.

it could be that the panel has lost some key players to emigration or injuries or both but barring that 16/1 looks huge. i dont expect them to win the division but if they got off to a decent start in thier first couple of games that price could shrink very fast. actually they look value at 7/4 to beat wexford away on saturday going on last years form what with wexford now under a new management set up and maybe having some teething difficulties.

Div 3

Again paddypower are out on their own with Fermanagh at 22/1.
    Although they are never going to be world beaters, with Peter canavan as their manager they could easily string a few results together and suddenly be in contention.

Div 4
    Tipperary are 5/2 with ladbokes (15/8 gen)

5/2 looks massive to me for a team that are clearly a class above anyone else in the division. Tipperary are good enough to be in Div 2 in my mind but their disastrous league campaign last year and relegation from Div 3 has probably lead to this price from ladbrokes (overreaction??).

they have 4 highly winnable games to start with (though a potential bannana skin opener on saturday vs carlow) but come mid march next i expect them to be well odds on to top the division and the 5/2 a distant memory

just some of my thoughts. interested to what the other boys think on here.
    Last edited by bustamoves; 01-02-13, 04:08.

Comment

Longford will start the league without either of the Bardens. David will be back soon enough but by far more important is Paul who will miss most of the campaign. Brian Kavanagh is out of the reckoning for the year as well as he's travelling.

Massive losses, David Barden is a decent workhorse but the other two are very important. You're basically left with Sean McCormack on his own as a scoring forward.

Comment

I quite like all of these bets, Cork are superb value.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
          I quite like all of these bets, Cork are superb value.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/t...ening-weekend/
          GL with the tipping this season Keane, seem to remember you particularly smashed it last year in the league.
          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
            GL with the tipping this season Keane, seem to remember you particularly smashed it last year in the league.
            Yeah had a very good league alright. Looking at the prices for this weekend's games I'd be pretty confident of doing pretty well again this year if I don't run very badly.

Division Three and Four are particularly weird, it looks as though the bookies just looked at the colour jersies to set their prices, Wicklow are actually shorter odds to beat Fermanagh this year than they were last year despite the fact that they've lost their three most important players by an absolute mile for example. A good few other instances of prices clearly having been done on outdated info as well.

Comment

lol, warms the heart to see this kind of thing still goes on.

In the first Waterford Crystal semi Clare beat Cork 0-20 to 2-11.
              Clare led 0-10 to -07 at half time

Was supposed to be a 7.45 throw in but was delayed almost an hour due to a fuel spill on the Limerick-Ennis road near Cratloe. This delayed a lot of the cork team arriving.

The early stages were akin to a Junior B club game, I think Cork only had the bare 15 with the sub goalie filling in at corner forward while the last 2 car loads of players arrived

Comment

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
                Just looking at the outright prices there for the various divisions.

Division 1 has now the best eight teams in the country and is fiercely competitive.
                You could make a case for any of them to go well except for say Down. Picking a winner is not easy though as on any given day in these league encounters Dublin, Cork, Donegal, Mayo, Kerry,Tyrone and Kildare can easily beat one another so personally I think it's too hard to call and betting on it would be madness.

Look for value game to game IMO

Division 2
                Unlike Div 1 where i'd be like most others and know the teams and players reasonably well I dont know alot about the teams but....

Longford @16/1

Longford are a standout 16/1 with paddypower as the rank outsiders along with Louth.
                Now Paddypower must know something we dont know because if anyone wathced Longford in the championship last year you know that they are well capable of beating any of the teams in this division. they play a really nice style of football, very skilful players. very fast, fit running game and their manager seems to know what he's doing.

it could be that the panel has lost some key players to emigration or injuries or both but barring that 16/1 looks huge. i dont expect them to win the division but if they got off to a decent start in thier first couple of games that price could shrink very fast. actually they look value at 7/4 to beat wexford away on saturday going on last years form what with wexford now under a new management set up and maybe having some teething difficulties.

Div 3

Again paddypower are out on their own with Fermanagh at 22/1.
                Although they are never going to be world beaters, with Peter canavan as their manager they could easily string a few results together and suddenly be in contention.

Div 4
                Tipperary are 5/2 with ladbokes (15/8 gen)

5/2 looks massive to me for a team that are clearly a class above anyone else in the division. Tipperary are good enough to be in Div 2 in my mind but their disastrous league campaign last year and relegation from Div 3 has probably lead to this price from ladbrokes (overreaction??).

they have 4 highly winnable games to start with (though a potential bannana skin opener on saturday vs carlow) but come mid march next i expect them to be well odds on to top the division and the 5/2 a distant memory

just some of my thoughts. interested to what the other boys think on here.
                I'm on Cork to win Division 1 @ 10/3 6pt win Ladbrokes
                Laois to win Division 2 @ 4/1 2pt e/w Bet365

This weekend

Kildare to beat Donegal @ 10/11 3pt bet PaddyPower
                Cork to beat Dublin @ 5/4 3pt bet William Hill
                Fermanagh to beat Wicklow @ 5/4 2pt bet Ladbrokes

Comment

I don't really love the outright bets in the league because they take in the finals which are so close to the start of the championship for a lot of teams that they don't take them seriously. Fermanagh, Wexford and Tyrone all topped their division rankings last year but your bet would have been a loser in each case. Division One is worse again as they've brought in semi-finals rendering the whole league process pretty farcical, last year as far as I remember you went into the last round of games with every team capable of making the semi-final as well as four or five out of the eight having the chance of being relegated.

Comment

Originally posted by conspicuous View Post
                    I'm on Cork to win Division 1 @ 10/3 6pt win Ladbrokes
                    Laois to win Division 2 @ 4/1 2pt e/w Bet365

This weekend

Kildare to beat Donegal @ 10/11 3pt bet PaddyPower
                    Cork to beat Dublin @ 5/4 3pt bet William Hill
                    Fermanagh to beat Wicklow @ 5/4 2pt bet Ladbrokes
                    Have you seen both teams named? No way Kildare should be favs at neutral venue IMO. Kildare midfield is very weak, and they've had to bring Mick Foley out from full back to CHB to compensate, which weakens their full back line as well.

the other two though.

Comment

I've rowed back on my Westmeath bet by the way if anyone's reading the article above, no bet there for me after all.

Comment

Have you seen both teams named? No way Kildare should be favs at neutral venue IMO. Kildare midfield is very weak, and they've had to bring Mick Foley out from full back to CHB to compensate, which weakens their full back line as well.

the other two though.
                        I can see why they are favs with the few wins on the bounce and this being most of the Donegal teams first match back.

I 1000% agree with what your saying about foley and think he's our best chance of keeping murphy quiet today.

All that being said I'm looking forward to heading to croaker this evening should be 2 good games but from a betting pov I'd be staying away from this match.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk Magnet View Post
                          I can see why they are favs with the few wins on the bounce and this being most of the Donegal teams first match back.

I 1000% agree with what your saying about foley and think he's our best chance of keeping murphy quiet today.

All that being said I'm looking forward to heading to croaker this evening should be 2 good games but from a betting pov I'd be staying away from this match.
                          Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're going to be blown away or anything but they're a mile off full strength IMO. Should be a great game, really looking forward to this one in particular, I'm a big fan of both teams.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're going to be blown away or anything but they're a mile off full strength IMO. Should be a great game, really looking forward to this one in particular, I'm a big fan of both teams.
                            Agree hopefully will be a good game.

Just a thought but what would you think of Tomas o Conor being switched to the middle IMO with the few new forward options we have gained this year I think it might be worth a try moving him out to the middle.

Comment

Agree hopefully will be a good game.

Just a thought but what would you think of Tomas o Conor being switched to the middle IMO with the few new forward options we have gained this year I think it might be worth a try moving him out to the middle.
                              Doesn't have enough ball playing abilty for midfield IMO, and is a very effective full forward if ever any of the rest of the inside line would wake up and play off him properly. Seanie Johnston will be a big help to him in there I think, could be a big year for Tomás as a FF.

The funny thing Kildare have a couple of great midfielders if they could ever get them fit. Any idea what's wrong with Flynn now? Himself and Lynch would be a great pair.

Comment

Doesn't have enough ball playing abilty for midfield IMO, and is a very effective full forward if ever any of the rest of the inside line would wake up and play off him properly. Seanie Johnston will be a big help to him in there I think, could be a big year for Tomás as a FF.

The funny thing Kildare have a couple of great midfielders if they could ever get them fit. Any idea what's wrong with Flynn now? Himself and Lynch would be a great pair.
                                I've only heard that he has a groin injury never heard how serious it was although I will be seeing Alan smith this week so hopefully he can shed some light on it for me.

Would like to see kavanagh back at some stage this year really liked having him in the team.

Comment

Superb article in the IT sums up why I love the league

Comment

Superb article in the IT sums up why I love the league

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329562461.html
                                    Absolutely class.

Comment

Paul Durkin *shakes head*

Comment

Great game today good solid performance like the 2 new boys Kelly and Flynn IMO did not look out of place in the team.

Looking forward to cork next week here's hoping for another big 2pts.

Comment

Ok so a few selections for tomorrow. I know a lot of lads involved in various county teams, mostly football but a few hurling. I do all my bets based on information from the camp regarding training, injuries etc. Ill post any info up here whenever I can.

Carlow 4/1 to beat Tipperary
                                          Anthony Rainbow has done serious change in Carlow. Has nearly all players available to him and the players have unbelievable respect for him (unlike luke dempsey :/) They have done serious conditioning over the xmas and actually believe they can reach promotion.
                                          Tipperary as we all know have had serious minor and u21 teams previous, but I still think they will not start to click until later in the year. They have barry grogan back from the states, but I really feel carlow will cause an upset.

Confidence 4/5

Mayo 7/4 to beat Kerry
                                          Mayo have been consistently a performing team in the league the past few years. They have great depth in there panel, as do Kerry. Kerry are missing Galvin and are trying to blend in some players to the senior set up. This is a home game for Mayo and it is quite a spin to mayo from Kerry, although id imagine they travlled tonight. Home games IMO are worth 2 points to the home team. Mayo will want to have a good league to carry on momentum to the championship as they arent out till june.

Confidence 5/5

Few more selections I like but will only have small steaks. These are my selections and most of them are based on my judgement i.e. no outside information in most of them#

Longford 7/4 to beat Wexford
                                          Cavan 5/4 to beat Antrim
                                          Fermanagh 6/5 to beat Wicklow

Happy Betting

Comment

I'm on the Carlow bandwagon too at 4/1. Go on the Rastafarians !

Comment

Carlow winner alright, 1-14 to 0-16.

Nice shout

Comment

Originally posted by eurotomillions View Post
                                                Ok so a few selections for tomorrow. I know a lot of lads involved in various county teams, mostly football but a few hurling. I do all my bets based on information from the camp regarding training, injuries etc. Ill post any info up here whenever I can.

Anthony Rainbow has done serious change in Carlow. Has nearly all players available to him and the players have unbelievable respect for him (unlike luke dempsey :/) They have done serious conditioning over the xmas and actually believe they can reach promotion.
                                                Tipperary as we all know have had serious minor and u21 teams previous, but I still think they will not start to click until later in the year. They have barry grogan back from the states, but I really feel carlow will cause an upset.

Confidence 4/5

Mayo 7/4 to beat Kerry
                                                Mayo have been consistently a performing team in the league the past few years. They have great depth in there panel, as do Kerry. Kerry are missing Galvin and are trying to blend in some players to the senior set up. This is a home game for Mayo and it is quite a spin to mayo from Kerry, although id imagine they travlled tonight. Home games IMO are worth 2 points to the home team. Mayo will want to have a good league to carry on momentum to the championship as they arent out till june.

Confidence 5/5

Few more selections I like but will only have small steaks. These are my selections and most of them are based on my judgement i.e. no outside information in most of them#

Cavan 5/4 to beat Antrim

Happy Betting

Brilliant work Euromillions

Comment

Thanks lads. 2 Main bets came in so happy enough.

From what I heard Carlow played out of there skin. Was watching the Mayo game and been honest, I never felt as confident of a win as I have today after 15mins. Mayo were up for this game and wanted to win it. Anytime Kerry got the ball they didnt know what to do with it which can be seen from the first half when they had a strong wind but still only went in at HT drawing with Mayo. Also got word before the match that Kerry have been doing serious running the past 2 weeks which was evident today as they ran out of steam.

Other 3 bets werent as good but only had very small stakes on them. Look forward to next weekend

Comment

Waterford beat Clare despite the fuckers sticking the game in Miltown Malbay the furthest place away from here possible. Home to Tipp next, we drew with them in the McGrath Cup semi final, would be great to get the 2 points from that.

Comment

Think Division 4 is wide open still. Tipperary were favourites to win it out and Carlow were Second last to win, yet Carlow beat Tipp. Waterford seem to be going well this year with there new manager Niall Carew who was involved with Kildare before. If they beat Tipp they can push on from there. I think a team can lose 2 matches and still get promoted IMO so wont be untill round 3/4 well see how teams will really do.

Im an Offaly man myself and they have undergone serious change in attitude. players and training this year. But still promotion wont be easily achieved as many people in the county think

Comment

Think Division 4 is wide open still. Tipperary were favourites to win it out and Carlow were Second last to win, yet Carlow beat Tipp. Waterford seem to be going well this year with there new manager Niall Carew who was involved with Kildare before. If they beat Tipp they can push on from there. I think a team can lose 2 matches and still get promoted IMO so wont be untill round 3/4 well see how teams will really do.

Im an Offaly man myself and they have undergone serious change in attitude. players and training this year. But still promotion wont be easily achieved as many people in the county think
                                                        So true, its such a graveyard of a place and unusual results not uncommon

Comment

Thanks lads. 2 Main bets came in so happy enough.

From what I heard Carlow played out of there skin. Was watching the Mayo game and been honest, I never felt as confident of a win as I have today after 15mins. Mayo were up for this game and wanted to win it. Anytime Kerry got the ball they didnt know what to do with it which can be seen from the first half when they had a strong wind but still only went in at HT drawing with Mayo. Also got word before the match that Kerry have been doing serious running the past 2 weeks which was evident today as they ran out of steam.

Other 3 bets werent as good but only had very small stakes on them. Look forward to next weekend
                                                          4 correct predictions from 5 and they were all odds against, that's a serious days work. You obviously follow whats going on closely so thanks for passing on your knowledge.

Comment

Confidence 4/5

Mayo 7/4 to beat Kerry

Confidence 5/5

Cavan 5/4 to beat Antrim

Happy Betting
                                                            Nice one. I'll be waiting on your tips for next weekend. Just one thing, Mayo are out quite early this year, playing Galway on May 19th
                                                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mayo-...0391231?ref=hl

Mayo's longest running and most successful pub poker league. Teach O'Hora, Kiltimagh every Wednesday night, entry €20. Re-entry €20.

Comment

We've got match previews for tomorrow and a few more bits over on the site. We've also started doing a round-up of some of the main news stories on weekdays that I think is pretty sweet if anyone wants to take a look:

I'll be lashing up a betting piece this evening.

Comment

Really wet on the way down to cork here was ready to have a nice bet at 5/2 unsure now could be a scrappy 1.

Comment

Really wet on the way down to cork here was ready to have a nice bet at 5/2 unsure now could be a scrappy 1.
                                                                  Was leaning towards Kildare for this one FWIW.

Comment

Was leaning towards Kildare for this one FWIW.
                                                                    Yeah have your link bookmarked could be a scrappy one think 5/2 is massive.

Comment

Waterford 2-8 tipp 0-9. Two from two for the mighty deise footballers

Comment

Kildare 2-10 cork 1-9.
                                                                        Great result 3 key changes in the 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                          Waterford 2-8 tipp 0-9. Two from two for the mighty deise footballers
                                                                          Kildare 2-10 cork 1-9.
                                                                          Great result 3 key changes in the 2nd half.
                                                                          Two great results, fair play.

Comment

Clare hammered Tipp 1-21 to 1-13 in the Waterford Crystal final.

Comment

IPB's own Kevin from Ireland did a little piece on the Galway hurlers for 2013, he'll ban people if they don't like it I heard:

Comment

We've previews of the two games here if ye want to take a look:

Really looking forward to the two games, the standard in this competition is just superb. It doesn't hurt that several of the teams remaining play a brilliant brand of football, Cross and Brigid's in particular.

Comment

Really looking forward to the two games, the standard in this competition is just superb. It doesn't hurt that several of the teams remaining play a brilliant brand of football, Cross and Brigid's in particular.
                                                                                  Two big calls Keane. I agree with you on Ballymun, they don't have the Gooch but they have huge hunger and togetherness. I can't see anyone beating Cross though, they're just relentless. Incredibly high standard overall though

Comment

I didn't write either of them and won't be betting on either match FWIW. Interestingly, GAA analyst extraordinaire Emmet Ryan told me this morning that he rates Cross behind Brigid's and Crokes (in that order), but reckons there's only a hair's breadth between all four of the remaining teams.

Cross are super, but the rest of the teams left - especially Brigid's and Crokes - are super-clubs in their own right. I couldn't see Cross as being better than either of them by more than a point or two on average over a large sample.

Comment

Couple of weeks before kick off anyone have any knowledge on the Ballinasloe Kenmare junior all ireland football final.
                                                                                      See some of the lads i last played a minor match with 18 years ago still playing.

Comment

Agree 'Mun bet of the weekend. Conceded 0-5, 0-7 and 0-8 in Leinster games and shipped just two goals in nine competitive games since last May. If any defence can keep Gooch, O'Leary, Brosnan and pals quiet, it's this one. And that's from a Southsider!

Comment

Yeah agree, both favs overpriced IMO. Betting piece here FWIW:

Comment

ez game

Comment

ez game
                                                                                              Vwp'd
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Sigh, thought Galway (evs) and Clare (3/10) would have been priced bit bigger for this weekends league games. Will be taking Galway anyway at that price, think that they will have enough for KK in Pearse stadium, if it was Nowlan Park then maybe a bit different.

In terms of the league overall I think Galway 5/2 to win division 1A is a cracking bet. They have 3 home games and 2 away, the homes are against KK, Tipp and Cork and they travel to Clare and Waterford. Couldnt be more favourable. Also can see them being pretty determined to have a good league to ensure competitive games for as long as possible given that they pretty much have a bye into the Leinster Championship thanks to a super handy draw. They are available at 3/1 to win the League outright, but I think the 5/2 on winning 1A is the better bet as it rules out a loss in the playoffs.

Will have a closer look at the other league games closer to the weekend, initial thoughts are that Galway (evs) and Tipp (4/6) look worth a bet, gonna have to check the handicap in the other 1A game when its up. Zero value in any of the 1B matches this weekend imo

Comment

Sigh, thought Galway (evs) and Clare (3/10) would have been priced bit bigger for this weekends league games. Will be taking Galway anyway at that price, think that they will have enough for KK in Pearse stadium, if it was Nowlan Park then maybe a bit different.

In terms of the league overall I think Galway 5/2 to win division 1A is a cracking bet. They have 3 home games and 2 away, the homes are against KK, Tipp and Cork and they travel to Clare and Waterford. Couldnt be more favourable. Also can see them being pretty determined to have a good league to ensure competitive games for as long as possible given that they pretty much have a bye into the Leinster Championship thanks to a super handy draw. They are available at 3/1 to win the League outright, but I think the 5/2 on winning 1A is the better bet as it rules out a loss in the playoffs.

Will have a closer look at the other league games closer to the weekend, initial thoughts are that Galway (evs) and Tipp (4/6) look worth a bet, gonna have to check the handicap in the other 1A game when its up. Zero value in any of the 1B matches this weekend imo

I was looking at Galway myself and the 5/2 about table toppers surely makes more sense than 3/1 about outright winners. Evens is a steal for Sunday in fairness given the shape KK are expected to be in at this time of the year

Comment

Originally posted by conspicuous View Post
                                                                                                    I was looking at Galway myself and the 5/2 about table toppers surely makes more sense than 3/1 about outright winners. Evens is a steal for Sunday in fairness given the shape KK are expected to be in at this time of the year
                                                                                                    Always feel wary backing against KK, but whereas last year I was very confident of them giving Tipp a hammering in the opener I'm not so much this year. A number of the experienced KK guys - Walsh, Paul Murphy, Tyrrell, JJ Delane, Colin Fennelly, Richie hogan were on the Leinster team beaten by a pretty ordinary looking Connacht/Galway line up at the weekend too.

Comment

We've got some previews of today's Fitzgibbon Cup games as well as a couple of season previews Kev has done for the hurling on the site today. We'll also be doing updates from the Fitzgibbon Cup this afternoon (and tomorrow). Nice to be giving hurling a bit more of the spotlight (thanks Kev )

Comment

Taken this double with Boyles, 2.14/1, they best price both (13/10 & 4/11).
                                                                                                        KK not done much work yet, plenty injuries. And I've been told by 1 or 2 down your way, Kev, to oppose da Deise every week for the foreseeable!

Comment

Originally posted by kpnuts View Post
                                                                                                          Taken this double with Boyles, 2.13/1, they best price both (13/10 & 4/11).
                                                                                                          KK not done much work yet, plenty injuries. And I've been told by 1 or 2 down your way, Kev, to oppose da Deise every week for the foreseeable!
                                                                                                          Aye, we are in a bad way. Problem is the prices are reflecting that. Thought that we might have gotten something of a decent price on Clare this weekend but them winning the Waterford Crystal pre season competition has done for that it seems

Comment

Division 1A county by county season previews I put together for Livegaelic.com

Kilkenny
                                                                                                            Galway
                                                                                                            Tipperary
                                                                                                            Cork
                                                                                                            Waterford
                                                                                                            Clare

Comment

Anyone thing DIT are under-rated today by bookies?

Comment

I do, backed them @ 4/1 with b365.

Comment

I liked DIT -3 at 11/10.

On this with Laddies - A Draw, or either team to win by less than 4 points @ 1.83

Is that including 4 points or is it effectively 3.5 ?

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                                                    I liked DIT -3 at 11/10.
                                                                                                                    +3 yeah?

On this with Laddies - A Draw, or either team to win by less than 4 points @ 1.83

Is that including 4 points or is it effectively 3.5 ?
                                                                                                                    3.5 yeah, the extra point and the draw are probably just about enough to make it neutral compared to the HC, think DIT to win is the value though.

Nice little piece by one of the lads on today's semi-finals by the way:

Comment

+3 yeah?
                                                                                                                      Yep

Hope they can handle this man.

Comment

Yep

Hope they can handle this man.

I didn't need to see the URL of the broken image to know who that was about obv! Murphy might be the best ever, but DIT have plenty in the locker, it won't be decided by one guy (I hope )

Comment

DIT purring nicely in the early running, up by four:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X