How has the game changed in last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How has the game changed in last year?

I took a long break from the game and am only recently getting involved in playing again. Oh how the game has changed. When I was last grinding SNGs and playing the odd tournament, the main tool of the trade was the squeeze with tonnes of fold equity and minraising was a laughable concept.

I now find myself getting called by extremely thin hands when I squeeze and very rarely are preflop raises >3bb's. It's all a bit unsettling and the process of finding out what players tendencies are these days has turned into a frustrating and all too expensive endeavour.

Basically I'm very rusty.

I'm under no illusions of being able to beat the game at a decent level but I'd at least like to be able to get back up to speed with how to play the game solidly rather than spew all over the place by playing like it was 2009 all over again.

Would appreciate any kind of pointers to help keep me on the straight and narrow

Buy Pokertracker -> Learn off pushbot charts -> Min-raise relentlessly -> Win $$$ -> Rub on titties
    "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

3x-ing is just bad and i will snap donk note someone who does in the mid to late stages. Stacks are shallow and the villain's will typically 3b/fold so min r or slightly more than min r is optimal.

Some people give out about getting flatted more w smaller opens because they're scared to play post flop mostly. But playing in position against a weaker range is $ for us as long as we're confident in our post flop game.

Best advice is to play more and use the forums the game is always changing and would expect anyone to be rusty after taking any kind of break.

Comment

HEM >>> Pokertracker imho

Comment

The catalyst for my break was buying a mac. I see that PokerTracker is available for Mac so might buy that (or at least trial it).

At the very late stages, are we still minraising or happy to jam our opening range? I assume that they'll have a very narrow calling range to a shove but they can call and then jam a flop with a much wider range? If we minraise and get flat called from the blinds are we only ever calling a shove when we hit the flop?

Comment

Originally posted by Winning! View Post
            Buy Pokertracker -> Learn off pushbot charts -> Min-raise relentlessly -> Win $$$ -> Rub on titties
            This post more or less sums up the last 2 years of my life

To answer Adam's post, light squeezing definitely isn't as profitable as it used to be. There's a lot of squeeze inducing going on (guys flatting monsters to induce the squeeze behind). Stats are increasingly important: depending on what the stats say, I might fold AQ to a squeeze, 4 bet jam 86s, or call a 5 bet shove with A5o.
            Last edited by doke; 19-10-11, 17:04.
            My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

Working...
            X