Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New! Line Check

Hi All

€40 (€10 scalp) Live Turbo (17 mins) MTT with 30 runners.

2-3 hours into the tourney and I've had a monster stack for the last 3 orbits. I've been limping virtually every hand and playing aggressive post flop if I get something or think they're weak. They are all waiting for a hand to 'catch me' with.

Blinds 400/800

Ave stack 13000

Hero 45000 Q2s(d)
    MP2 10000
    sb 13000
    bb 8000

Pre flop

Hero limps MP1
    MP2 limps (there has been a lot of limping)
    Folded into sb who calls, bb checks.

Flop 972 with 2 diamonds.

Blinds check
    I check
    MP2 2000
    sb calls
    bb folds
    I ship.
    Last edited by curleywurley; 25-08-11, 18:36.

NH, Well played all round.

Opr

Comment

Why?? First of all, if you feel the compulsion to be playing every hand, at least raise. Limping is just awful, especially in early position, even more especially with Q2..
      On the flop, he's put in more than 20% of his stack, he should never be folding.. Not so bad to get it in with a pair and a flush draw really, but pre flop is just terrible and what you should be concentrating on here really.
      Last edited by KK82; 25-08-11, 18:42.

Comment

Please stop limping. Just cut it out now. Thank me later.

Comment

God you played that hand and more it seems so bad i thought the thread could be a level.
          Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
            Why?? First of all, if you feel the compulsion to be playing every hand
            I did feel the compulsion to play every hand, after all, I enjoy gambling.

After the tournie I looked at this period of the game a lot and realized that playing every hand could be stupid. I was trying to figure some nice loose ranges for when I'm lucky enough to get some chips and still wanted to play every hand lol.

I guessed the limping is bad too. Gotta come in for a raise every hand then?

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
              God you played that hand and more it seems so bad
              Why?

Comment

this has to be a wind up right? its lol bad even by pub game standards!

Comment

Up the banner
                  once you have a pair and a flush draw im never folding but limping with the q 2 is poor

Comment

Try and get it All In pre, imo

Comment

Too busy to post but before everyone goes nuts derailing and thinking this is a wind up, OP might not realise how and why it's bad to limp. He put up a thread for a simple shove recently in a STT and didn't realise how simple it was, all it takes is an explanation rather than ripping him to shreds.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                        Too busy to post but before everyone goes nuts derailing and thinking this is a wind up, OP might not realise how and why it's bad to limp. He put up a thread for a simple shove recently in a STT and didn't realise how simple it was, all it takes is an explanation rather than ripping him to shreds.
                        Thanks, I'm a beginner.

Comment

Sorry should expand i will later playing now. I didnt really read past the first few lines as there is so much wrong.
                          Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Well, even with a huge stack, you shouldn't be playing every hand anyway. With their stack sizes they'll just be able to shove on you any time they pick up a decent hand. But if you do choose to play hands, it's better to raise pre.. If you just limp, you'll be involved in a multi way pot and have no idea if you have the best hand unless you flop a monster.

If you raise, you have the chance to take the pot down pre flop, winning 1200 at this level, for example, or you will generally "thin the field", ie. be seeing the flop with just one other player, and you'll also be able to possibly assign them to a hand range. It also gives you the initiative in the hand. It's best to not be raising with any old garbage though. You should be raising with high cards, pairs and hands with some sort of connectivity, like suited connectors.

Also, it's best to raise in late position, so you're last to act post flop, which gives you a huge advantage to take down the pot, even if you miss. Look at it this way, which type of player is it more difficult to play against, someone who limps every hand, or someone who raises every hand they choose to play? Your aim should be to make yourself as awkward to play against as possible.
                            Probably missing out a lot of stuff here, but there's a few reasons for you.

Comment

Well, even with a huge stack, you shouldn't be playing every hand anyway. With their stack sizes they'll just be able to shove on you any time they pick up a decent hand. But if you do choose to play hands, it's better to raise pre.. If you just limp, you'll be involved in a multi way pot and have no idea if you have the best hand unless you flop a monster.

If you raise, you have the chance to take the pot down pre flop, winning 1200 at this level, for example, or you will generally "thin the field", ie. be seeing the flop with just one other player, and you'll also be able to possibly assign them to a hand range. It also gives you the initiative in the hand. It's best to not be raising with any old garbage though. You should be raising with high cards, pairs and hands with some sort of connectivity, like suited connectors.

Also, it's best to raise in late position, so you're last to act post flop, which gives you a huge advantage to take down the pot, even if you miss. Look at it this way, which type of player is it more difficult to play against, someone who limps every hand, or someone who raises every hand they choose to play? Your aim should be to make yourself as awkward to play against as possible.
                              Probably missing out a lot of stuff here, but there's a few reasons for you.
                              Obviously, I gotta play tighter. . . And more aggressive in this spot. These players are just so passive though, they give away their hand so easily. I mean, if they call, they've got something, and if they raise they've got something. If they've got nothing it's check and fold.

Part of the reason for the push on the flop is b/c there were scalps in the game and I figured out that with scalps in the game semi bluffing is more profitable b/c they might fold and if you hit you have the added bonus of an extra tenner. Probably way off, but that's what I thought about scalps.

Comment

The shove post flop is fine, I think, especially with scalps... It's pre flop that's pretty awful. Just throw those types of hands away pre flop, especially in early position. In tournaments, chip conservation is very important and limping with poor hands out of position is a surefire way to bleed chips.

Comment

The shove post flop is fine, I think, especially with scalps... It's pre flop that's pretty awful. Just throw those types of hands away pre flop, especially in early position. In tournaments, chip conservation is very important and limping with poor hands out of position is a surefire way to bleed chips.
                                  Gosh, gotta get a set of pre flop ranges sorted out for different chip positions and different stages in tournaments (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated). I was playing every hand b/c I thought my chips were worth less than the others. I guess I took it to the extreme, which then became a massive leak in my game. Stack preservation is important mmm. . .

I'm not that used to having so many chips lol.
                                  Last edited by curleywurley; 25-08-11, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by curleywurley View Post
                                    Gosh, gotta get a set of pre flop ranges sorted out for different chip positions and different stages in tournaments (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated). I was playing every hand b/c I thought my chips were worth less than the others. I guess I took it to the extreme, which then became a massive leak in my game. Stack preservation is important mmm. . .

I'm not that used to having so many chips lol.
                                    Too many issues here to even discuss. You need to start at the beginning, read a book. Get Harrington on Hold em or something similar and use it to learn the basics. Take it from there...

Comment

Is this table 4-handed, or are you just quoting the 4 stacks involved in the pot? If as you say the players are that passive, and the game is 4 handed,Im not gonna give you grief if you raise Q-2 utg, because you're not actually utg, you are in the cut/off. And if they are so passive, your raise here to 1850, 1900 or 1950 will get through a lot. If someone shoves over your head for their stack, its an easy hand to get away from. (I have zero problems if you decide to open fold the Q-2s here because that is the better play imho). But limping here 1st to act is so wrong on so many levels.

Once you get to the flop, when its checked to you, you should bet, as you have a big hand now. Theres 3,200 in the middle and with a hand like you have, I bet 2,400 and call a shove.

Ive just written all this and now Ive noticed something that tells me something is wrong.
                                      You say the average stack is 13,000.
                                      If you add the chips on the table, the total is 76,000. If ye are 4-handed, the average is 19,000?
                                      What was the starting stack for the tourney? Was it a f/o? How many players being paid?

Comment

Originally posted by connie147 View Post
                                        Is this table 4-handed, or are you just quoting the 4 stacks involved in the pot?
                                        What was the starting stack for the tourney? Was it a f/o? How many players being paid?
                                        It's a 7 handed game Connie, 8K Starting Stack and it was a f/o with 3 getting paid

Comment

FWIW raising the Q2ss here would be fine, we have the CL and can put a lot of pressure on smaller stacks afraid of busting, esp given their mindset of 'waiting to catch you'. It's not uncommon to raise almost every hand in these situations based on ICM but that's not going to factor into many of your opponents decisions here so forget that. Suffice is to say you wouldn't really be spewing here playing such a marginal hand as long as you stay aggressive.

Never ever open-limp preflop from anywhere except perhaps the small blind, you obv know that by know with so many people berating you over it but that's probably a good thing cos it's something you need to get drilled in.

Flop as played is fine.
                                          "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Originally posted by curleywurley View Post
                                            It's a 7 handed game Connie, 8K Starting Stack and it was a f/o with 3 getting paid
                                            So it is 4 handed, as in theres 4 left is what connie means. Id be raising fairly wide here because its the bubble and your opponents probably arent going to reshove light. You want to steal the blinds and make there stacks dwindle not play flops with them.

Comment

Working...
                                            X