Clear All

Bubble situation

10 man, $5.50 turbo.

UTG 2500
    BTN 5000
    SB (hero) 4000
    BB 3500

Blinds 300/600

The button has stolen bb big blind the last 4 orbits. The bb is super tight and we all know he's going to fold without a premium holding. BTN is skilled and hero has been playing solid.

UTG folds, button bets 2800.

Hero ATs.

What's your move please?
    Last edited by curleywurley; 16-08-11, 11:37.

Originally posted by curleywurley View Post
    10 man, $5.50 turbo.

UTG 2500
    BTN 5000
    SB (hero) 4000
    BB 3500

Blinds 300/600

The button has stolen bb big blind the last 4 orbits. The bb is super tight and we all know he\\\'s going to fold without a premium holding. BTN is skilled and hero has been playing solid.

UTG folds, button bets 3000.

Hero ATs.

What\\\'s your move please?
    Nash says no. But shoving here not a massive error or anything.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Shove

Comment

fold because BTN didnt shove and raise looks suspicious. It is also mathimatically incorrect to call

Comment

the button has stolen bb big blind the last 4 orbits. The bb is super tight and we all know he's going to fold without a premium holding.
          Woops. Didnt see that was a raise of half his stack..very suspicious. Maybe a fold as Tony said.

Comment

At first glance, it looks to me like your bubble factor is somewhere around 1.6 here, so you're supposed to fold although it's reasonably marginal, so shoving's not a major mistake either. If you think button's raising 70%+ of hands, you have the required equity (just over 60%).

Edit:
            If you fold (and the BB does too, the most likely scenario), your equity is just over 25% of the prize pool.
            If you shove (and the BB folds) and you win (button obv calls), your equity is just under 40%.
            If you shove and lose you obviously have 0% equity.

So if you shove, the equity gained from winning is just under 1.6 times that you lose if you bust. So you need to be about 62% against the range. Factoring in that the BB might wake up with a hand pushes it to a fold I think.

If button was a reg I played with a lot, I'd be more likely to shove so he knows he can't always raise willy nilly in these spots in future games.
            My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
              fold because BTN didnt shove and raise looks suspicious. It is also mathimatically incorrect to call
              He's been making these type of bets all the time. It's a tactic that has been advised in the literature that I've been reading (SnG strategy by Colin Moshman) so that it does look suspicious and perhaps gives you a little more FE.

Comment

Originally posted by doke View Post
                At first glance, it looks to me like your bubble factor is somewhere around 1.6 here, so you're supposed to fold although it's reasonably marginal, so shoving's not a major mistake either. If you think button's raising 70%+ of hands, you have the required equity (just over 60%).

Edit:
                If you fold (and the BB does too, the most likely scenario), your equity is just over 25% of the prize pool.
                If you shove (and the BB folds) and you win (button obv calls), your equity is just under 40%.
                If you shove and lose you obviously have 0% equity.

So if you shove, the equity gained from winning is just under 1.6 times that you lose if you bust. So you need to be about 62% against the range. Factoring in that the BB might wake up with a hand pushes it to a fold I think.

If button was a reg I played with a lot, I'd be more likely to shove so he knows he can't always raise willy nilly in these spots in future games.
                Great post, thanks.

I was getting frustrated that he was stealing my steal opportunities and i know that there is a cut off point where your hand is too strong to fold in this spot. I took a stand here because I was sure that the hand was close enough in this regard vs a random hand, and if I win I figure I'm a big favorite coupled with my hyper aggressive strategy, especially as this was a passive enough game and the all-ins were not being called.

Did you use sng wizard for those numbers?

What a sick game lol

Comment

Did you use sng wizard for those numbers?
                  I used http://www.icmpoker.com/Calculator.aspx
                  My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

simple shove

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

This is a clear fold.
                      If button is raising 100% of hands here then we have 62% equity. That's just on the mark re ICM . If the BB wakes up with a hand this pushes our equity down. He'll wake up with a hand he wants to play approx 10% of the time. (depending on how tight he is).

Factor in that the shortest stack is in the BB next and we have a fold.... even if 720 is in opener's range.

Comment

He's been making these type of bets all the time. It's a tactic that has been advised in the literature that I've been reading (SnG strategy by Colin Moshman) so that it does look suspicious and perhaps gives you a little more FE.
                        If the button anything other than a two year old licking the keyboard, then you have zero fold equity.
                        A shove is 1200 more to him into 7400, there is nothing he can fold here.

His bet was effectively a shove,

Comment

I must be the worst player in the world. I'm shoving here while doing a little dance and feeling really happy about it

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                            I must be the worst player in the world. I'm shoving here while doing a little dance and feeling really happy about it
                            thats what i would be doing, can't understand why everyone is so anxious to fold this

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                              thats what i would be doing, can't understand why everyone is so anxious to fold this
                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                If the button anything other than a two year old licking the keyboard, then you have zero fold equity.
                                A shove is 1200 more to him into 7400, there is nothing he can fold here.

His bet was effectively a shove,
                                He means the guy making it 3k may get a few more folds from the blinds than if he just shoved

Comment

Yeah, that's kinda what he meant on a second glance, not sure what way I was reading it tbh, you vrs him threw me I think

Comment

snap call and its not even close

Comment

Working...
                                    X