Very early into day 1.

Full stacks all around. All figures are approx. Blinds 25/50

UTG+1 opens for 125
    MP calls
    I've QQ on the BTN and raise to 600
    SB folds
    BB (Simon Hemsworth) reraises to 1400
    UTG +1 folds and does MP.
    I've got position so I elect to just call (thoughts?). I can let it go if there's A's or K's on the flop.
    POT - 3k
    Flop comes Ts-Tc-6d
    BB leads for 2.2k
    I call (thoughts?). I presuming this is a standard C-bet spot for him regardless of his holding. If he hasn't an overpair, he may give up on the turn.
    POT - 7.4k
    Turn comes Ts-Tc-6d-3c
    BB leads for 4k.
    I call again. (thoughts?) this is where I really fucked up IMO. the 3 changes nothing. He's either fireing another bullet with air or he's got me crushed and betting for value. By calling I'm pretty well turning my hand straight up. I've no plan for the river.
    POT - 15.5k
    River : Ts-Tc-6d-3c-Jc
    The jack is a good card for me. If he's rasing me pre with JJ, KK, AA, AT, AKc, AQc, TT then I'm toast.
    BB shoves for just over 10k. I fold. (thoughts) This is the real reason I'm posting this hand. Is he shoving for value here? What hands that he beats are calling him? Yes I've made a balls of it and called down every other street. Does he think I'll call it off with my overpair to the board? Is he trying to get me to fold my overpair?

Tom Kitt was at the table so he might shed some light on any missed details.

Based on the fact that it's so early on, to me it looks like like AA, if he's a capable player.. The small 4bet pre, then 3 barrels, looks very face up to me, as does your hand on the turn, so river screams value bet unless he's spazzing which is less rare at this stage of a tourny.
    There's gonna be plenty better spots imo.

Comment

Hate your 3-bet sizing. Way too big. I personally don't even 3-bet an EP open this year without some kind of read. We're going to have position so for me I personally prefer a flat but def don't mind a 3-bet for value(if we make it smaller).

As for me, I fold the turn here readless. Doubt anyone is cold 4-betting it this deep this early without at least KK.

On the river, what hands is he cold 4-betting you OOP with, pre, in the first level in this well structured tournie and giving you 3 barrels that you can beat.

10's have Quads.
      JJ has a house.
      QQ we chop.
      KK we're beat.
      AA we're beat.
      Some random bullshit bluff like 1%> of them time.
      Last edited by peterswellman; 16-08-13, 00:20.

Comment

horrible spot so early, probably aces either way your dead to many hands on that board.

I think I would of decided on the flop to either play for stacks or give up, calling two streets to give up on river is a little wishy washy in my opinion (as you have noted yourself).

the pot size C-bet was the point to make the choice, I guess id fold the flop as the structure allowed plenty of time to find a better spot to accumulate chips... horrible spot tho

Comment

Funny, was thinking of responding to the hand before even noticing the last line, will defo do now.

My first reaction to the hand just by reading OP was that I would flat or 3bet smaller pre (400 max).
          As played with sizing I'd prob be set mining pre. Might call 1. Never calling turn and folding river for sure.

Now knowing the table:

Utg was very active and fancied himself as a proper small baller who was going to run the show.

Your image was defendy/little bit stationy.
          You were defending a bit too much showing up with k5 off vs me and I think twice you
          defended check called flop and check folded the turn (for sure once vs me).

The Simon guy, rocking the PKR badge like a champ, most definitely had a menacing image and was getting involved.

So after you playing a more passive style earlier on I don't think your are ever gonna suddenly change up to the 5x 3bet in position so to the table your hand looks strong. I really don't think any reg would ever cold 4bet here without the nuts. AK is possible (I guess!!) and with the table's perceived image of James I could understand calling pre and flop, folding turn.

All in all I stand by my original assessment.

Comment

Was at this table aswel don't have much to add Toms assessment is pretty spot on. I think it was the guy to my left who opened and your 3bet vs him is gonna be pretty strong to start with so less than 0% chance hes cold 4'ing light here.

Originally posted by danutpeddler View Post
            AK is possible (I guess!!) and with the table's perceived image of James I could understand calling pre and flop, folding turn.
            This is what i would have done in your seat.

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
            Does he think I'll call it off with my overpair to the board? Is he trying to get me to fold my overpair?
            Although he had been active i think he was just getting playable hands alot and hit a few flops, it gave him a bit of an image but i don't think he would be the type to run a preflop + 3 street bluff trying to fold out and overpair to board.

Comment

Cheers all. Stupid ass websense on the work PC's so replying on phone. I'll reply again later using a computer RE my spewy image and bet sizing as my fingers are too fat to use this thing properly.

Comment

I don't personally mind the sizing pre ante this deep, I might make it a little less but no big deal. I find capable players dont 4b light oop this early. I think the guys summed it up tbf. I think he flats1010 JJ QQ and 4b AA and KK.

Comment

Working...
                X