Pocket pair, flop with over card.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pocket pair, flop with over card.

First time converting a hand so forgive me if i don't get it correct.

Basically I am wondering about the situation of how you manage your pocket pair which becomes a middle pair and you have no information about opponent who may have you considerably out stacked. Do i have to bet this every time? What about when below average stack or if villian doesn't fold?

Poker Stars No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t50/t100 Blinds - 8 players

CO: t5880 58.80 BBs
    BTN: t4430 44.30 BBs
    SB: t6340 63.40 BBs
    BB: t5538 55.38 BBs
    Hero (UTG): t3000 30 BBs
    UTG+1: t7517 75.17 BBs
    MP1: t17235 172.35 BBs
    MP2: t3000 30 BBs

Pre Flop: (t150) Hero is UTG with J :heart: J :spade:
    Hero raises to t400, UTG+1 calls t400, 6 folds

Flop: (t950) 8 :diamond: K :club: T :heart: (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG+1 bets t200, Hero calls t200

Turn: (t1350) 8 :heart: (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

River: (t1350) A :diamond: (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

Final Pot: t1350
    Hero shows J :heart: J :spade: (two pair, Jacks and Eights)
    UTG+1 mucks 3 :diamond: 3 :club:
    Hero wins t1350

This hand is probably not the best example as I would normally regard his 200 on the flop as weak and act on that but that didn't happen this this time due a distraction.

Well 1st of all don't 4x as standard just as a general rule of thumb, if you are 1st to open pre ante 3x, add an extra half a bb for every limper. Post ante min raise and same thing add an extra half a bb for every limper, obviously scenarios will vary but that's just generalisation.
    As played you done nothing wrong, no value in raising and that's not a good river to value bet, if river bricks I might go for small value bet.

Assuming when you say act on it, you mean raise, raising achieves nothing, you either fold out his bluffs or put yourself in a real awkward spot if he 3bets

Comment

Definitely raising too much pre. Anything from 200 to 300 is fine. I think you have to lead out on this flop. There is only one over card, so checkiing is pretty weak, given youre the pre flop aggressor.

Comment

C/c flop is fine, esp vs randoms. Vs stronger opponents it's still viable as long as one balances by checking stronger stuff like KQ/KJ every now and then so they cant just barrel you off over three streets every time you check.
        "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Working...
        X