Rivered Straight on Paired Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rivered Straight on Paired Board

Early-mid stages $20k gtd on iPoker. Villain has only been at the table 30 hands and has done nothing to warrant attention, playing 16/10/0.

I would cbet the flop often here but check some back too. After checking the flop i thought folding to the turn bet was too weak. Thoughts on the river and previous rounds please?

IPoker, $30 Buy-in (100/200 blinds, 25 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players
    Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP2: 9,315 (46.6 bb)
    MP3: 10,330 (51.7 bb)
    CO: 14,126 (70.6 bb)
    Hero (BTN): 15,598 (78 bb)
    SB: 2,895 (14.5 bb)
    BB: 14,106 (70.5 bb)
    UTG+1: 13,177 (65.9 bb)
    UTG+2: 9,151 (45.8 bb)
    MP1: 7,195 (36 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A K
    UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 raises to 400, 4 folds, Hero raises to 888, 2 folds, UTG+2 calls 488

Flop: (2,301) Q J 9 (2 players)
    UTG+2 checks, Hero checks

Turn: (2,301) 9 (2 players)
    UTG+2 bets 1,000, Hero calls 1,000

River: (4,301) T (2 players)
    UTG+2 bets 7,238 and is all-in, [color="grey"]

Flop check is fine given this board hits the villains range pretty hard and is v wet, think turn is a fold for that exact reason though, there is v little we beat and he is likely to have connected. River is interesting, i think our hand may look like AK to the villain, it would be a very outlandish bluff by him as well so i think i give him credit for having a full house and fold.

Edit: given we have the As here i think its actually better to cbet flop as we can turn many cards to barrel or pick up showdown value.
    They will be like WTF how does he always have the top of his range, and they will be saying that when you show up with like nine's - Jimmy Fricke
    Nine's are the top of my range - Shaun Deeb

Comment

Prefer betting this flop for a start. We gain information on where we stand with our Ahi. If he calls we're still controlling the hand.

We fold all his lower pairs, get value from ATs if it's in his range.

Calling river shoves in these spots has to be a no no generally. Even some of the hands he decides to turn into bluffs have us beat.

Yes we'll fistpump the odd time we snap off an AT or whatever but we're owning ourselves more often than not surely. This looks a very easy fold either way (by that I mean betting flop or not).

Comment

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
        Prefer betting this flop for a start. We gain information on where we stand with our Ahi. If he calls we're still controlling the hand.

We fold all his lower pairs, get value from ATs if it's in his range.

Calling river shoves in these spots has to be a no no generally. Even some of the hands he decides to turn into bluffs have us beat.

Yes we'll fistpump the odd time we snap off an AT or whatever but we're owning ourselves more often than not surely. This looks a very easy fold either way (by that I mean betting flop or not).
        Dunno if I'm missing something here, but how are we losing to a hand he turns into a bluff?

I'd find it pretty difficult to fold to this river shove.. If he has a house, I would've thought he'd bet a bit smaller for value. If he's putting you on exactly AK and knows you'll call it off, fair play... Saying that, I am pretty bad at folding.

Comment

I fold the turn. Reason being, best card in the deck for us falls on the river and we're not certain what to do.

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
          What hands?
          We only lose to a house, he certainly isn't turning any of them into a bluff

Comment

Working...
          X