Tough Spot deep in tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough Spot deep in tourney

Playin the 10k 10r on ipoker when this hand happened! I'll disclose my hand/result after
    Villian is solid reg playin 14/11 5% 3bet
    Hero is playing 140k while villian is playin 150k blinds are 2k-4k with 22 remaining
    Villian raise sb to 9k, hero smooths

Flop is AQ9s rainbow villian cbets 9.2k, hero calls

turn is 10s villian bets 14.9k hero calls(pot is now 70k)

River is Qs viallin shoves for 120k so leaves us all in for 115k

Whats our calling range here????

What's his aggression and does he regularly barrel 3 street? How high is his sb steal?

My calling range here would probably be really tight tbh. It's a overshove in a spot where he doesn't seem to be afraid of the flush or the second Queen appearing. I'm sure villain is pretty much aware we would flop KJ here at least one street anyway if he's good and assumes we're competent. He surely checks all aces to us on the river or bets much smaller on the river with the intention of folding to a shove. He's nutted quite a bit here right. I certainly think we see AQ, AA here quite a bit and even KJ(possibly of spades).

Straights plus I guess but not thrilled about it. I'd raise a straight on the turn here though for value.

If I were villain our hand looks very much like Qx, possibly Ax that we didn't want to have to 3-bet call pre so for him to cram on us is pretty gross.
    Last edited by peterswellman; 30-11-12, 01:51.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
      Playin the 10k 10r on ipoker when this hand happened! I'll disclose my hand/result after
      Villian is solid reg playin 14/11 5% 3bet
      Hero is playing 140k while villian is playin 150k blinds are 2k-4k with 22 remaining
      Villian raise sb to 9k, hero smooths

Flop is AQ9s rainbow villian cbets 9.2k, hero calls

turn is 10s villian bets 14.9k hero calls(pot is now 70k)

River is Qs viallin shoves for 120k so leaves us all in for 115k

Whats our calling range here????
      Even though your hand screams weakness eg some sort of Ax bluffcatcher that he can conceivably get you off by barrelling this scary as fck board I'd fold a lot relatively strong hands. I think I fold trips and call Everything everything better. I just don't see him having trip q here generally and your range looks like it could be Qx and he's still smashing the pot.

I think he always cbets Gutshots and 2 pair as well as Ax on this flop so I think he quite likely to have the straight or FH, sometimes BDF when he jams river. I don't think he will have Ax trying to get u off a chop and/or bluffs enough to make calling with anything less than a straight profitable given you description of him. Could be way off here but looking at how the board runs out I'd have to know he was spazztardy enough to call light here even though it's BonB and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
        Even though your hand screams weakness eg some sort of Ax bluffcatcher that he can conceivably get you off by barrelling this scary as fck board I'd fold a lot relatively strong hands. I think I fold trips and call Everything everything better. I just don't see him having trip q here generally and your range looks like it could be Qx and he's still smashing the pot.

I think he always cbets Gutshots and 2 pair as well as Ax on this flop so I think he quite likely to have the straight or FH, sometimes BDF when he jams river. I don't think he will have Ax trying to get u off a chop and/or bluffs enough to make calling with anything less than a straight profitable given you description of him. Could be way off here but looking at how the board runs out I'd have to know he was spazztardy enough to call light here even though it's BonB and all that.
        Am I missing something in that the board is a flush, thus doesnt matter if you have trips etc?

Id prob only call with the J or K of the suit. Just feel like the overshove tends to be more for value and less to bluff in this spot.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far pretty much my thinking also that there are very few bluffs in his range!! However I also think because the board texture changes so much that he can wake up with some bluffs here???

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
            Am I missing something in that the board is a flush, thus doesnt matter if you have trips etc?

Id prob only call with the J or K of the suit. Just feel like the overshove tends to be more for value and less to bluff in this spot.
            well i was reading this as a rainbow flop with 9s

(and turn and river giving two more spades for potential BD flushes)-

Comment

well i was reading this as a rainbow flop with 9s

(and turn and river giving two more spades for potential BD flushes)-
              That was also my reading of how the board played out

Comment

I always thought when the board was monotone people would state it or go 79qsss or two spades 79qss. My reading of his post is there is one spade on the flop.

Comment

Yeah sorry lads one spade came running spades my bad!

Comment

Sorry read it as a full spade flop.

Hmm tough spot for sure. I think my calling range here is really nitty. The over shove from a good solid player tends to be for value in these spots. He looks nutted here. Prob calling with flushes +

Only real difficult fold seems to be KJ and one that I prob wouldn't make either but maybe one I should.

Comment

Thanks alot for the replies, to be honest I decided to put this in reverse to gage what I should be able to fold out here! I was the villain and these were my stats! The player tanked and eventually called with q10. I was told a queen and straight calls there a'll day and I disagreed! I had a total airball. The guy was nitty but a losing player playing 17-10 0% 3 bet.

Is my play really that spewy or was play ok??

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                        Sorry read it as a full spade flop.

Hmm tough spot for sure. I think my calling range here is really nitty. The over shove from a good solid player tends to be for value in these spots. He looks nutted here. Prob calling with flushes +

Only real difficult fold seems to be KJ and one that I prob wouldn't make either but maybe one I should.
                        And with KJ we really should be raising on the turn.

Unless we have the Ace high flush I think we should be folding, if our flush is lower then the Ace high flush must make up a big part of villians range.

If we dont have the As and havent made a straight on the turn I'm wondering what we can have called the flop & turn with? Trip Q's I'd say is a fold.

Comment

Thanks alot for the replies, to be honest I decided to put this in reverse to gage what I should be able to fold out here! I was the villain and these were my stats! The player tanked and eventually called with q10. I was told a queen and straight calls there a'll day and I disagreed! I had a total airball. The guy was nitty but a losing player playing 17-10 0% 3 bet.

Is my play really that spewy or was play ok??
                          Well if he tanked and called with a house, then it might have worked with a flush or lone queen v this player. Not sure i like the shove at this level in general though. A lot of donks find their ways through to the last couple of tables in this game, and expecting them to think on this level and fold flushes and queens is probably not the best move. Think it has a better chance of working in some of the other reg filled tournaments on ipoker.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                            Well if he tanked and called with a house, then it might have worked with a flush or lone queen v this player. Not sure i like the shove at this level in general though. A lot of donks find their ways through to the last couple of tables in this game, and expecting them to think on this level and fold flushes and queens is probably not the best move. Think it has a better chance of working in some of the other reg filled tournaments on ipoker.
                            Thanks Tony that was the point I agreed with, im all about picking better spots so definitely a very valid point, I should wait till I have it, play in position etc! I dont think I.levelled myself into it or anything I just thought given image, stage of the tourney, opponent and stack sizes that my play has alot of merit but I could be wrong!

Comment

Villian is solid reg
                              I was the villain and these were my stats! .

No but seriously
                              I like the way you made a change up from the normal hand posting.

Is this a blind v blind situation?

Comment

We'll if he tanked with QT then you obv read the hand exactly as a few of us said. Pretty ballsy and high level thinking (if you were actually thinking like that-at every stage of the hand so you'd have to pat yourself on the back.

The guy was playing what 14/11 5%3b so he appears a regular enough villain at this stage so he's a fairly ideal villain to put that move on imo.
                                Did you know he was a losing player during the hand? I'm not sure that this is even that important here.

I guess the argument really is whether you need to even bother with this kind of play when you're in decent shape in a tourney nearing the business end.

Comment

The guy was playing what 14/11 5%3b so he appears a regular enough villain at this stage so he's a fairly ideal villain to put that move on imo.
                                  Them are the op stats

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                    Them are the op stats
                                    Ahhh,....hmmm. In that case--b flop/give up>FPS vs random potential donkeyite

Comment

READ THIS WRONG MAY READ IT AGAIN

Comment

Love Selena Gomez so gonna let that 1 slide ;-) yeah BvB, maybe an argument for open folding sb I think it's too nitty but definitely a point in it.
                                        Thanks Busta appreciate that, it was genuinely my thinking, I just thought that how the texture changed so much and cos I can rep such a wide range, that the spot was decent, in retrospect he should only have Q10, j9 or KJ cos Q9 gets it in on the flop(I think) and every other combo should be raised pre unless he floats some sort of spade draw with other back door equity like a Js8s type hand.
                                        The more I think about it, the more I think maybe I did level myself ha

Comment

OP is a nit.

Comment

Working...
                                          X