AK in BB vs UTG raise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AK in BB vs UTG raise

Just some thoughts on the hand please. I am sure I could have played it better? early in tourney, presume flatting standard here?

Poker Stars $15.00+$1.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t25/t50 Blinds - 9 players - View hand 1734227
    DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

UTG+1: t4430 88.60 BBs
    UTG+2: t975 19.50 BBs
    MP1: t2145 42.90 BBs
    MP2: t2000 40 BBs
    CO: t2945 58.90 BBs
    BTN: t2075 41.50 BBs
    SB: t1125 22.50 BBs
    Hero (BB): t2190 43.80 BBs
    UTG: t2155 43.10 BBs

Pre Flop: (t75) Hero is BB with A :spade: K :heart:
    UTG raises to t150, 7 folds, Hero calls t100

Flop: (t325) 8 :club: 5 :club: 9 :heart: (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG bets t162, Hero raises to t350, UTG calls t188

Turn: (t1025) 7 :diamond: (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG checks

River: (t1025) 3 :heart: (2 players)
    Hero checks, UTG checks
    Please prepare now for the developing economic and social unrest. Good day.

Standard flat to disguise the strength of our hand, not turn it into a bluff on a co-ordinated draw heavy board
    Last edited by sligoboi; 18-04-12, 23:10. Reason: To remove quote of OP
    Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Fold pre if Villain is a competent reg anyway.

edit- thought it was a 180 man. I still dont think folding is that bad unless villain is poor.
      I agree with Sligboi. Once u c/r flop just keep barreling! or c/f flop

Comment

I'd just c/f that flop early-ish in a tournament. If you're gonna play aggressively with AK, better off doing it pre than OOP when you miss the flop, although I'd just prefer a flat pre flop in this situation too.

Comment

I'm folding the flop all day. Not sure why you decided it was better to c/r there after not 3betting pre.

I don't like the size of your reraise either, it's nearly a min raise, such a wet board I'd be 3x reraising all of my range(or sometimes check/shoving). And to check the turn makes your line even worse, I'd be barreling that turn with both draws and made hands.

Originally posted by JWillo1 View Post
          Fold pre if Villain is a competent reg anyway.
          Really? Sounds insane, I would rather 3b/call than fold pre but I flat a lot.

edit: I just saw your edit, still never folding though.
          Last edited by Caf; 18-04-12, 22:56.

Comment

Flatting pre is fine, I'm never folding. I don't hate the c/r but I'd rather have the Ac and you have to make it much bigger. You're not cmr any value hands in a decent player#s eyes. When you raise there, his entire flatting range is in a fml spot for the rest of the hand. You have to bomb the turn here. He's going to fold a ton.

Comment

If I c/r here, I make it bigger and I will empty the clip. Also AK has okay equity vs TT-QQ here. As Zuutroy said its a FML spot for alot of the UTG opening range.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                If I c/r here, I make it bigger and I will empty the clip. Also AK has okay equity vs TT-QQ here. As Zuutroy said its a FML spot for alot of the UTG opening range.
                you say this like it's your standard line in this spot and i am not sure if this a level?

i agree its a FML spot for an standard utg opening range but i'm not convinced you still get enough folds for this to be profitable. Its got to be close so i'd assume most good players would just pass it up in this format and just play it as a regular flat pre (possibly fold even) and c/fold flop.

seems like you have thought this through or maybe ran the numbers/ranges, if so i'd like to see them or hear more on it

EDIT:sorry just see the ''if i c/r here'...so its obv NOT yor standard line, sorry, just read it so quick..but besides in the times you do c/r i am still not convinced its profitable or worth the risk/reward
                Last edited by bustamoves; 18-04-12, 23:33.

Comment

Stats on villain please if u can OP (winner/loser/VPIP)

with regards to folding pre- (okay I prob will call this most of the time here) but I just dont like calling to hit with AK here oop vs a competent player in early levels(assuming he is). If his opening range is something like AJ+ and 99+ (some regs would be tighter here) . Sure we can get value vs AQ, and AJ when we hit but thats only with Ace high flops. Not to mention the times we are behind when we do hit,
                  - I dont know about everyone else here but I'm checking like 100% here when we do hit so we disguise our hand , meaning the villain gets a free card turn some of the time.

Comment

fold pre ? surely not

Comment

Thanks for that guys. plenty yo take on board there. Defo take on board the bet sizing c/r flop "if" i was to do it again and follow through on turn.

Its my first hh post and know i have loads to learn. Thanks and lastly what's cmr mean. new to some of this lingo.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                        fold pre ? surely not
                        Hmm yea I think I've lost the plot.

Would love to know stats on player!

Also looks like the $16.50 Turbo 30k on stars (2k ss)- Thoughts on keeping shoving stack as large as possible?

Comment

Hmm yea I think I've lost the plot.

Would love to know stats on player!

Also looks like the $16.50 Turbo 30k on stars (2k ss)- Thoughts on keeping shoving stack as large as possible?
                          ye but not when you have an Ace and a King,

Comment

Yeah 30k 16.50 stars.

Donked my way to 5th in it late last year.

Ain't got the stats boss. looking at getting holdem manager alright. only back in the
                            game a few months. I see from other forum posts its highly recommended yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by warnsie View Post

Ain't got the stats boss. looking at getting holdem manager alright. only back in the
                              game a few months. I see from other forum posts its highly recommended yeah?
                              yea dead handy. I was anxious to get it at first but now I cant play without it. Its only like $50 for a once-off fee and u have it forever.

Comment

Originally posted by warnsie View Post

Its my first hh post and know i have loads to learn. Thanks and lastly what's cmr mean. new to some of this lingo.
                                check minraise...ldo!

Comment

Stats on villain please if u can OP (winner/loser/VPIP)

with regards to folding pre- (okay I prob will call this most of the time here) but I just dont like calling to hit with AK here oop vs a competent player in early levels(assuming he is). If his opening range is something like AJ+ and 99+ (some regs would be tighter here) . Sure we can get value vs AQ, and AJ when we hit but thats only with Ace high flops. Not to mention the times we are behind when we do hit,
                                  - I dont know about everyone else here but I'm checking like 100% here when we do hit so we disguise our hand , meaning the villain gets a free card turn some of the time.
                                  You are trying to set up some nit image for yourself on here with your folding of AK pre and think 99 pre from other thread.

It ain't working yo

OP, if you check raise flop I think you have to fire again on the turn.

Comment

Strange thread, I'm 3betting & getting it in here 50% & calling 50%. If I flat call it's a simple fold on the flop.

Comment

Lol at folding pre, flat pre ante this deep. If villain is really aggro 3b/c is justifiable. Just c/c flop as played, we have decent equity so turning our hand into a bluff is really unnecessary, esp when nothing better will fold. Having got to the turn like this I guess I just keep barreling, we rep sets/JTs/76s/98s pretty well and villain will have 2P+ rarely so unless he's a station we can probably shove most rivers profitably.
                                      "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Originally posted by Winning! View Post
                                        Lol at folding pre, flat pre ante this deep. If villain is really aggro 3b/c is justifiable. Just c/c flop as played, we have decent equity so turning our hand into a bluff is really unnecessary, esp when nothing better will fold. Having got to the turn like this I guess I just keep barreling, we rep sets/JTs/76s/98s pretty well and villain will have 2P+ rarely so unless he's a station we can probably shove most rivers profitably.
                                        sorry but am i missing something in this thread..

we just have overs right? so what are people saying about having decent equity? i dont get it? if we call flop (we have AKo right) we have 6 outs if he has a 1pair hand up to QQ and we're crushed otherwise..except when his bluffing ofc..help me out, i'm totally lost.

Comment

Originally posted by bustamoves View Post
                                          sorry but am i missing something in this thread..

we just have overs right? so what are people saying about having decent equity? i dont get it? if we call flop (we have AKo right) we have 6 outs if he has a 1pair hand up to QQ and we're crushed otherwise..except when his bluffing ofc..help me out, i'm totally lost.
                                          Assuming an UTG range of like {99+,ATs+,AJo+,KQ} villain is cbet stabbing here a lot. We have ~50% vs that range and we're getting 3:1, so unless we expect villain to barrel us off really frequently we can get to showdown here enough, or possibly do something funky later if villain continues betting and we runout the right kind of texture to bluff at.

Mostly this goes ck/ck ott, the flop is pretty coordinated so doubt villain double/triple barrels air much, but in any case we also have 6 outs to a better hand when we're behind, and they are the cards villain is most likely to barrel off on trying to force a fold from a range with very little Ax/Kx in it.

It's not a super spot or anything but we have enough equity to peel here imo
                                          "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Jwillo playing the metagame with Irish regs claiming he folds here

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                              Jwillo playing the metagame with Irish regs claiming he folds here
                                              Whats metagame?

Comment

Whats metagame?
                                                ^^this

Comment

Whats metagame?

LOL at this. N1

Comment

Working...
                                                  X