X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre flop spot- best estimate of his range

online 50dollar buy in mtt - blinds 700/1400ante175
    utg folds
    villain is utg+1 and he pushes his stack 17500, folded around to me in the big blind i cover him with 23k

i have the villain playing 21/14 over about 80 hands or so, havent seen him show down much so no strong reads on him. hes a winner on opr with 28pc roi over a decent sample and his average buy in was around 30 dollars, so presume reasonably competent without been great by any means

What king of a range would you give him here ? what would be minimum hand you need to call with

How many at the table?

From your description of him and stats from OPR he's a solid player, he has 12 1/2 BB's so assuming its a 9 handed table he's range from utg +1 should be reasonably narrow, Id say AQo+ and 88+.

Comment

it was 9 handed . i wouldnt have thought his range would be as tight as you suggest. interested to see what other people think.

Comment

22+ aj+

if he's decent he's not shoving too light UTG+1 with 12bb's

Comment

Originally posted by kady View Post
          it was 9 handed . i wouldnt have thought his range would be as tight as you suggest. interested to see what other people think.
          Yeah, I guess it probably isnt as tight as I assigned it, if the shove gets thru he inreases he's stack by over 20% but Im a nit and I wouldnt shove there without something in or very close to the range I mentioned.

Was this hand anywhere near the bubble or in the money??

Comment

we were just in the money , nothing significant at that stage

Comment

Still it does widen hes range tbh, he has made the money which is the primary aim of the majority of players and now its time to change gears, build a stack and go for the big cash.

Comment

88+, A10+ probably KQs, he may also include strong suited connectors depending on how often he thinks his shove will get through.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

I'd be a bit wider than Angry, 66+, A10+, KQ, KJs
                  I'm calling with 88+, AJs, AQ+

Comment

Typically 44+,A8s+,ATo+,KQs or something similar.

Nothing gained by just giving you a calling range for this specific spot, figure it out yourself, it'll be good exercise. "Give a man a fish..." and all that
                    "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

44+ A9s+ A10o+

That's what my chart says anyway.

Comment

jesus lads maybe iam wrong here but i think pushing 44+ is way to wide utg with 12bbs, you will be able to push 10bbs from late position in a few hands time with weaker hands and a much better chance of getting it through.
                        A8s+ is fine.
                        if there is 2/3 bb stacks on the table, which there should be if the bubble has just broke, i think you would be better to try and isolate their shove with 22+ and alot of aces rather than shove it from utg.

obviously this could be totally wrong

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Think the chart is pretty accurate 44+,a10+, kq. ..Personally id only call the ship with 88+,aj+ and happilly fold everything else....

Comment

This moves his range much wider IMO, I'm snapping with 88+ ATs+ and making the gamboool call with a lot of pretty hands.

Gotta be in it to win it.
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

do push fold charts only work if people are calling optimally?

I dont see why you would shove 44 and not 22?

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                                I'm calling with 88+, AJs, AQ+
                                I'd pretty much go along with this, perhaps folding AJ more often than not thou...!
                                "the impossible is often untried"

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post

The charts I use are unexploitable, meaning that even if people are calling perfectly we're still going to make money long term. If they're not, even better we make even more. The charts I often follow have both a shoving and calling ranges and we cannot be exploited by calling a shove in this spot with...... 44+, A9s and A10o.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                    jesus lads maybe iam wrong here but i think pushing 44+ is way to wide utg with 12bbs, you will be able to push 10bbs from late position in a few hands time with weaker hands and a much better chance of getting it through.
                                    A8s+ is fine.
                                    if there is 2/3 bb stacks on the table, which there should be if the bubble has just broke, i think you would be better to try and isolate their shove with 22+ and alot of aces rather than shove it from utg.

obviously this could be totally wrong
                                    This is the range my chart gives me for shoving 12bb UTG+1.

22+ A8s+ A5s ATo+ K9s+ KQo Q9s+ J9s+ T9s
                                    That's unexploitable again. For me though, this is simply too wide and I personally wouldn't be shoving this wide at all.

Comment

Would anyone remove AA/KK/QQ/AK from the villains range? As much as it's in the shoving range a lot of people will still make the standard raise with these to try and eke out max value by letting someone shove on them. If he's playing a few tables he'll prob just shove and move on to the next table, if focusing on this then should the top of his range not be ruled out?

Therefore I'd be saying the range is 44-JJ, A9o-AQo and A10s-AQs.

Comment

I don't think you can rule them out Ronan. He is a big winner so i presume he is playing all his opening range exactly the same way. Otherwise it would be an exploitable leak which regulars would pick up on.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                          The line has to be drawing somewhere.
                                          44 does better than 22 verses A rag hands.

I'd do with 77+ myself
                                          Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                          Would anyone remove AA/KK/QQ/AK from the villains range?
                                          Not remove, so you could reducing the weighting and call a little wider as he sometimes standard opens with QQ+ (not AK imo)

Comment

Working...
                                          X