Too tight a fold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too tight a fold?

Sometimes I think I play too tight..... I'd like to loosen up my game and practice more LAG type play in certain spots depending on stack size.....

Here's a hand that would have won if it went to showdown but I folded post flop. I'm not great at working out pot odds etc....

Was the post flop fold too tight here or was I getting the right odds to call?

Seat #5 is the button
    Seat 1: papa_af (1000 in chips)
    Seat 3: I'm Brown306 (5320 in chips)
    Seat 4: coldigs (2050 in chips)
    Seat 5: royalraise85 (1490 in chips)
    Seat 6: rickchips97 (3510 in chips)
    Seat 7: Mitsu51 (1590 in chips)
    Seat 9: zakkfwylde (1560 in chips)
    rickchips97: posts small blind 10
    Mitsu51: posts big blind 20
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to royalraise85 [Jd Jc]
    zakkfwylde: folds
    papa_af: folds
    I'm Brown306: calls 20
    coldigs: folds
    royalraise85: raises 40 to 60
    rickchips97: calls 50
    Mitsu51: calls 40
    I'm Brown306: calls 40
    *** FLOP *** [Td Qc As]
    rickchips97: bets 40
    Mitsu51: raises 220 to 260
    I'm Brown306: folds
    royalraise85: folds
    rickchips97: calls 220
    *** TURN *** [Td Qc As] [8h]
    rickchips97: checks
    Mitsu51: checks
    *** RIVER *** [Td Qc As 8h] [Kc]
    rickchips97: bets 120
    Mitsu51: raises 400 to 520
    rickchips97: calls 400
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    Mitsu51: shows [Ks Qd] (two pair, Kings and Queens)
    rickchips97: mucks hand
    Mitsu51 collected 1800 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 1800 | Rake 0
    Board [Td Qc As 8h Kc]
    Seat 1: papa_af folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 3: I'm Brown306 folded on the Flop
    Seat 4: coldigs folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: royalraise85 (button) folded on the Flop
    Seat 6: rickchips97 (small blind) mucked [Kd 4s]
    Seat 7: Mitsu51 (big blind) showed [Ks Qd] and won (1800) with two pair, Kings and Queens
    Seat 9: zakkfwylde folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Twitter @theroyalraiser

pretty standard fold in a mtw pot with 2 outs vs almost the entirety of the bet and raise ranges of the other players.

Comment

Yeah, you played it fine. I'd pop it to 80 pre but that's just me.

Originally posted by royalraiser85 View Post
      Here's a hand that would have won if it went to showdown but I folded post flop.
      Here's your main problem. Don't focus on the result of the hand. It's not important that you would have won if it went to showdown, there's been a raise, a reraise and there's 2 over cards. All you have is an inside straight draw, if you hit your set you're likely to be in trouble. Making the right move at the time is what's important. It might just be a bit painful to see the K river but when you're done with the hand, all you should focus on imo is what other players are doing to try get a feel for how they are playing(ie. both players who continued in the pot are most likely the value at the table.)

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
        Yeah, you played it fine. I'd pop it to 80 pre but that's just me.
        Cheers Caf! I'm trying to keep my raise a standard 3x regardless of the category of hand. I've only started doing that a few weeks ago where I copped on that by over-raising preflop I was basically advertising that I had a strong holding.

I felt tempted here to pop out a large bet preflop here and was kinda proud of the way I stuck to the 3x raise.

Twitter @theroyalraiser

Comment

Don't stick to a 3x raise

As a general rule, raise 3 x when youre the first person to bet early on in a tournment

Later on in the tournament raise a little over 2x

when there are other people who have limped in front of you increase your raise amount, i.e., if you would have opened to 3 x, open to minimum 4 x now, more depending on how many people have limped before you

you played hand fine otherwise, its a definite fold on the flop there are really only 4 cards you can expect will win you the pot

Comment

Originally posted by royalraiser85 View Post
            Cheers Caf! I'm trying to keep my raise a standard 3x regardless of the category of hand. I've only started doing that a few weeks ago where I copped on that by over-raising preflop I was basically advertising that I had a strong holding.

I felt tempted here to pop out a large bet preflop here and was kinda proud of the way I stuck to the 3x raise.
            Keeping your bet sizing the same is good and I open 3bb all the time too but with a limper I would open 4bb, 2 limpers I would open 5bb, and so on. Basically the pot has gotten bigger by 1bb when someone limps so adding 1 to your bet size in these spots is not bad as long as you open 4bb with one limper and all of your hands.

I'm pretty tired so not sure if that makes sense.

Also, good to use a hand converter for posting hands, makes them easier to read. Check out this thread if you want to know how:

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post

I'm pretty tired so not sure if that makes sense.

Also, good to use a hand converter for posting hands, makes them easier to read. Check out this thread if you want to know how:

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...hread.php?t=31
              It all makes sense

Thanks for your replies and also thanks for the link to the thread. I had a quick look at it and it looks good. Going back now to dig deeper into it.

Twitter @theroyalraiser

Comment

Working...
              X