Tournament Spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tournament Spot

have been very active last few hands picking up a couple of pots, playing the rush, opinions on the whether to call the river in this spot? admittedly pre flop should be folding most of the time..... but as played pre do we call the river, felt like raising the turn but didn't want to be putting in so much chips in a hand like this. villian has been relatively solid taking a lot of flops out of position and from the blinds and generally taking it down if allowed bet.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 11 Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

SB (t3410)
    BB (t4505)
    UTG (t2970)
    UTG+1 (t1655)
    MP1 (t2215)
    MP2 (t3765)
    MP3 (t3243)
    Hero (CO) (t4497)
    Button (t2620)

Hero's M: 59.96

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6, A
    5 folds, Hero bets t125, 2 folds, BB calls t75

Flop: (t275) 3, 6, 9 (2 players)
    BB checks, Hero bets t175, BB calls t175

Turn: (t625) 4 (2 players)
    BB bets t450, Hero calls t450

River: (t1525) 9 (2 players)
    BB bets t900, Hero??
    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

i would be folding. as for raising the turn, not for me either and not even excited about calling it in the first place but thats as far as i would go unless i thought he was the type to take random bluffy lines (from what i can gather of your reads, he doesnt appear to be such).

Comment

River is an easy call, once you call the turn you have to call the river. He could easily be trying to steal it from you with with a large % of his bb flatting range considering you should rarely be connecting with that flop.
      Also the river bet is a bit large and I would think that tends towards a bluff rather than 9x type hand. Altho a straight might make sense

Comment

I think raising pre (as a bluff) is fine occasionally. I don't play rush, but can't see if changing that.
        His turn donk bet looks a bit mad to me,
        This looks like a board that missed a large amount of your non-pair hands. So if he is the type to try a bluff you here then I call. Your comment about taking pots OOP and taking it if allowed to bet makes me think that he might. Leaning towards calling (unless I've taken your description the wrong way).
        Last edited by Mellor; 04-05-11, 06:06.

Comment

Instant call

Comment

Weird line from villian. FWIW I probably wouldn't cbet this flop. You're really fishing to find worse hands that call. Much better to bluff catch with it on turn and/or river, especially with your reads. I would expect villian to bet 100% of turns if we check behind, and if he's as likely to follow up the river then it's a call.
            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Totally agree with AFB above. I like checking the flop as you get one or even two streets of value from from bluffs. If checked to you again on the flop its a pretty easy value bet.
              http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
              http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                I think raising pre (as a bluff) is fine occasionally. I don't play rush, but can't see if changing that.
                His turn donk bet looks a bit mad to me,
                This looks like a board that missed a large amount of your non-pair hands. So if he is the type to try a bluff you here then I call. Your comment about taking pots OOP and taking it if allowed to bet makes me think that he might. Leaning towards calling (unless I've taken your description the wrong way).
                its the turn bet that really kinda confuzzled me here, and you took my description bang on he just seemed to be allowed to buy an awful lot of pots

Comment

Originally posted by Carl_Morrissey View Post
                  Totally agree with AFB above. I like checking the flop as you get one or even two streets of value from from bluffs. If checked to you again on the flop its a pretty easy value bet.
                  Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                  Weird line from villian. FWIW I probably wouldn't cbet this flop. You're really fishing to find worse hands that call. Much better to bluff catch with it on turn and/or river, especially with your reads. I would expect villian to bet 100% of turns if we check behind, and if he's as likely to follow up the river then it's a call.
                  thanks for the suggestions , i see what your both saying by checking the flop etc.

Comment

Originally posted by JWillo1 View Post
                    River is an easy call, once you call the turn you have to call the river. He could easily be trying to steal it from you with with a large % of his bb flatting range considering you should rarely be connecting with that flop.
                    Also the river bet is a bit large and I would think that tends towards a bluff rather than 9x type hand. Altho a straight might make sense

straight could have been there but not as played

Comment

i think the turn bet made me call in the end

Poker Stars, $10 + $1 NL Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds, 9 Players
                      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: 3,410
                      BB: 4,505
                      UTG: 2,970
                      UTG+1: 1,655
                      UTG+2: 2,215
                      MP1: 3,765
                      MP2: 3,243
                      Hero (CO): 4,497
                      BTN: 2,620

Pre-Flop: (75) 6 A dealt to Hero (CO)
                      5 folds, Hero raises to 125, 2 folds, BB calls 75

Flop: (275) 3 6 9 (2 Players)
                      BB checks, Hero bets 175, BB calls 175

Turn: (625) 4 (2 Players)
                      BB bets 450, Hero calls 450

River: (1,525) 9 (2 Players)
                      BB bets 900, Hero calls 900

Results: 3,325 Pot
                      BB showed Q T and LOST (-1,600 NET)
                      Hero showed 6 A and WON 3,325 (+1,675 NET)
                      Last edited by Pat Mustard; 04-05-11, 17:56.

Comment

Originally posted by healwayscallsmedonkey View Post
                        its the turn bet that really kinda confuzzled me here, and you took my description bang on he just seemed to be allowed to buy an awful lot of pots
                        Except this one
                        Originally posted by healwayscallsmedonkey View Post
                        i think the turn bet made me call in the end
                        Big factor with me leaning towards calling. He just looked like he floated a flop that "you missed" and had a stab at a bricked turn, double barrells the river. Just looked weak.

Comment

nice call. wp

Comment

Check back flop, it disguises your hand, after which you can call turn and river barrels. Alternatively value-bet turn, maybe river when checked to.. Don't expect more than two streets with middle pair on this low a board.

As played villains line is too weird, so I call on the turn but I'm not too happy about my hand, on the river its a much easier call with the board pairing and the rare draw bricking.
                            "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Working...
                            X