Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few hands from 5.50 dollar tournament.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few hands from 5.50 dollar tournament.

Just said I would post up some of these and ask for advice on them. As recommended by Caf, I wont show result. Now as alot of you may know im far from the best holdem player out their, But im studying the game everyday and dieing to improve. Constructive Criticism only please. Thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 20/40 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (UTG+1) (t2390)
    MP1 (t1940)
    MP2 (t2420)
    MP3 (t3228)
    CO (t3885)
    Button (t330)
    SB (t3540)
    BB (t1920)
    UTG (t1810)

Hero's M: 39.83

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J, A
    UTG calls t40, Hero bets t120, 1 fold, MP2 calls t120, 5 folds, UTG calls t80

Flop: (t420) 2, Q, 5 (3 players)
    UTG checks, Hero bets t240, MP2 calls t240, 1 fold

Turn: (t900) 6 (2 players)
    Hero bets t480, MP2 raises to t2060 (All-In), Hero folds

Total pot: t1860

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t975)
    BB (t1865)
    UTG (t3500)
    UTG+1 (t3018)
    MP1 (t4065)
    MP2 (t2000)
    MP3 (t4360)
    CO (t2660)
    Button (t1020)

Hero's M: 10.83

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 6
    4 folds, MP3 calls t60, 2 folds, Hero bets t180, 1 fold, MP3 calls t120

Flop: (t420) 10, 7, 9 (2 players)
    Hero checks, MP3 bets t120, Hero calls t120

Turn: (t660) K (2 players)
    Hero checks, MP3 bets t240, Hero folds

Total pot: t660

Should I be shoving here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 30/60 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (Button) (t675)
    SB (t1805)
    BB (t3500)
    UTG (t3018)
    UTG+1 (t4065)
    MP1 (t2000)
    MP2 (t4720)
    MP3 (t2660)
    CO (t1020)

Hero's M: 7.50

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, A
    6 folds, Hero bets t180, 2 folds

Total pot: t150

Results:
    Hero didn't show A, A.
    Outcome: Hero won t150

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 5.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (8 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

UTG+1 (t1980)
    MP1 (t1990)
    Hero (MP2) (t2000)
    CO (t1970)
    Button (t2040)
    SB (t2050)
    BB (t2000)
    UTG (t2000)

Hero's M: 44.44

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8, 8
    1 fold, UTG+1 bets t75, 1 fold, Hero raises to t150, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls t75

Flop: (t345) J, 9, K (2 players)
    UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t345) 9 (2 players)
    UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

River: (t345) 6 (2 players)
    UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t150, 1 fold

Total pot: t345

Comment

Hand 1 if you raising make it 160 with the limper imo, cbet fine but shut down on turn

Hand 2 fold that with your stack. Fold flop too

Hand 3 Shove. A short stack raising 3x is basically turning your hand face up begging for a call

Hand 4 i'd prefer a flat this early on but if you're gonna 3bet make it bigger like 220ish

Comment

Originally posted by Crow View Post
        Hand 1 if you raising make it 160 with the limper imo, cbet fine but shut down on turn

Hand 2 fold that with your stack. Fold flop too

Hand 3 Shove. A short stack raising 3x is basically turning your hand face up begging for a call

Hand 4 i'd prefer a flat this early on but if you're gonna 3bet make it bigger like 220ish
        At least im on the level where im beginning to find my glitches anyway. Was thinking the same for everything you said. Must begin to flat with the pairs alright early on. Cheers Crow.

Hand 3 was a bad move alright, realised definitely should have been a shove.

Comment

hand 1
          i don't think i would be firing 2 barrels this early in a tounament without solid reads on the villian.

hand 2
          just fold pre you stack size is to small for arsing oop with this hand,
          why didn't you cbet the flop?

hand 3
          stick it in there eyes,

hand 4
          just flat behind this early in a tournie, if you are going to 3bet at least make it a decent bet like 250-300,

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Hand 1 - i dont mind a fold pre here early on. you're going to get in tricky spots here post flop oop. given the way the hand played i really hate a lead into 2 players on this flop. c-fold is def way better imo.

hand 2- id just flat the bb pre. i think its like call>shove>raise 3x..not a lot of flops you're goin to like 3xing it short stack.

hand 3- shove

hand 4- easy flat pre. idk what you're trying to achive by min 3-betting. dont bet river. you have a lot of showdown value. no point in turning your hand into a bluff.
            "Think of what your opponent wants you to do, and then do the opposite"

Comment

Haven't read replies yet,

Hand 1:
              PF it's ok to fold AJo in EP at a full ring table, although playing it is fine also
              Flop I'm not a huge fan of the c-bet here, although it is really villain dependant
              Turn I never ever second barrel this. You are done after the c-bet is called

Hand 2:
              Your PFR is terrible. What were you hoping to achieve. I much prefer a c-bet here than check calling. It's only a gut-shot, let it go

Hand 3:
              11 BBs on the button = shove

Hand 4:
              I bet earlier than the river, flop or turn depending on player
              Last edited by Mellor; 29-04-11, 00:13. Reason: hand 4

Comment

very little to add but anyway...

hand 1
                like others, i m not firing 2 barrels at this stage. i would prob just ck flop too but betting is by no means terrible as long as we are willing to shut down if we are called imo

hand 2
                i'm just folding A6o in the sb even tho we are ahead of limpers range alot. It's just the ol' crappy Ace OOP & potential RIO situation too.

as for cbetting the flop as Angryball suggested. I dunno, bad board to be cbetting imo, fairly easy ck/fold even for a small bet because we really need to be mindful of preserving whats left of our stack the way things are going

hand 3
                'stick it in there eyes' as Angryball put it unless u categorically have pretty good reasons/evidence/read/history that raising in this instance has a higher chance of getting a double up (prob not so just shove tbfck)

hand 4
                really much prefer flatting behind. much prefer the 'implied odds' approach at this stage (juicy too c. 26/1 potentially) as it can be relatively easy to get someone's stack in my experience in these low buyin tournies if an 8 flops and on the other hand its fairly easy to get away cheap on lots of flops and standard actions should we whiff.
                Also if we get 4bet by the UTG+1 raiser we will often find ourselves flipping or crushed. Not nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                  Haven't read replies yet,

Hand 1:
                  PF it's ok to fold AJo in EP at a full ring table, although playing it is fine also
                  Flop I'm not a huge fan of the c-bet here, although it is really villain dependant
                  Turn I never ever second barrel this. You are done after the c-bet is called
                  Its also villain dependent. You are not always done after you c-bet.
                  'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                    Its also villain dependent. You are not always done after you c-bet.
                    So you think the second barrel is ok in the hand above? I'd like to hear your reasoning.
                    Or are you just playing Devils advocate?

There's a very small percent of villains where a second barrel here is ok. Against the vast majority of players, and when we have nothing to go on either way, the second barrel is bad. You'd have to a have a pretty specific read, or relevant stats to be happy about a second barrel. Since nothing of the sort was posted I am happy to stick with "done after c-bet gets called".
                    Last edited by Mellor; 29-04-11, 05:48.

Comment

Hand 1 pre is fine, isolating the limper and cbet is grand too with lots of back door nut draws, give up in turn.

Hand 2 is terrible, chk calling the flop is pretty bad. Just fold pre

Hand 3 i prob min button or shove, leaning on the min as its a 5.50 tourney and balance, well dont think u need to worry bout that here, u will get called or shoved on a lot.

Hand 4 never would 3bet here so just call pre and play it IP, dont know why ppl are saying 3b to 220ish

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol Peter View Post
                        Hand 4 never would 3bet here so just call pre and play it IP, dont know why ppl are saying 3b to 220ish
                        Who said to 3 bet? Every reply said that flat is better than 3 bet*
                        Crow mention that flat is best but if you 3bet that the min 3 bet is bad, so make it 220.

*I only commented on post flop play, as I thought it had been covered enough.

Comment

1. Tricky enough spot and then that early on your going to get alot of broadway and pairs behind you. I think I just fold because other than the limper you're probably going to be OOP. If I raise though I make it 160. A blind on top of every limper and just 3x this early. It's a fold though without antes and so early on.

2. Snap fold. You're OOP with a hand that doesn't play very well. You can maybe peel a flop but wouldn't ever be raising.

3. Shove, let's balance your range here imo. I'd shove a hell of alot worse too so shove all hands in this spot. Random 5 dollar donks will pay you off here pretty wide.

4. I wouldn't three-bet i'd probably set mine this early. I barrel the flop though just to take it down there although I can see the check/check with your showdown value. You can be called by flush draws though. Betting river to get called by 22-77(excluding 66) isn't bad either I suppose. Problem is you'll probably get called Jx hands how the action has gone I guess.
                          Last edited by peterswellman; 29-04-11, 10:09.

Comment

hand 1 - fine until the turn give up there

Hand 2 - fold preflop. if you do raise you gotta c-bet. c/c is probably the worst line you can take

hand 3 - shove

hand 4 - flat preflop. again if your raising you gotta c-bet

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

In a $5 tournament were you have no need to worry about balance it is much better to min the buttton with AA. I don't care if you only do it with the top of your range but you have a much better chance of getting a double up this way than shoving and doubling up is all you should be worried about.

Comment

Working...
                                X