Hand from Irish Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand from Irish Open

Hand played yesterday at the Irish Open. Villian is a very agro young German kid who had been opening a lot of pots and had been very active in the last few hands opening about 5 of the last 7 or 8.
    Blinds are 400/800 with a running ante of 50. Table is 8 handed. Villian has about 70-80k and opens in MP for 1700.

Im dealt KQo in the small blind

Action?

How many chips have you?

Comment

How much are you playing ? Whats your image? Has no one played back at him in the last couple of laps?
      In general I prefer to wait till I have position and deal with him from button or CO, there are lots of hands just as good or better than QKo for this purpose.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Call and evaluate on flop. Check calling if you hit sounds best until the river when you might lead or check/raise depending on board.

Don't like re-raising OOP agianst and agro player who could easily 3-bet light.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          How much are you playing ? Whats your image? Has no one played back at him in the last couple of laps?
          In general I prefer to wait till I have position and deal with him from button or CO, there are lots of hands just as good or better than QKo for this purpose.
          Sorry guys, forgot to put in my chip count. I had started the hand with about 13k(15bbs)

Comment

Originally posted by cadey110 View Post
            Sorry guys, forgot to put in my chip count. I had started the hand with about 13k(15bbs)
            Jam>Fold>>>>>>>>>>>Call
            Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Ship it.

Comment

Shipping for 15BB over a min-raise? Don't like that.

Comment

Villain is super aggro, we're way ahead of his opening range. If we're going to raise it can only be a ship and I don;t fancy flatting oop.
                  Folding would obv be ok too.

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                    Shipping for 15BB over a min-raise? Don't like that.
                    OP says villain has raised 5 of the last 7/8 hands. Obv the top of his range will have us crushed but that's a pretty wide range, so we're shipping 13k to hopefully take down 3400 and add over 25% to our stack.

If 1700 has been his standard open, then i'm happy to shove pre

Comment

Easiest shove ever.
                      Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                        Easiest shove ever.
                        +1

Comment

This is a great spot to shove.
                          @OwenRua on Twitter.

Comment

Guy tanked for a few minutes and called with 33 and held. Picked up a lot of outs by the time the river came to have a sweat at least but no joy and the walk of shame followed. Really enjoyed the experience though and hopefully the money will stay in Ireland. Good luck to all left

Comment

Easy shove, his call with 33 was lol-bad

Comment

The shove is fairly standard, the call is ok too.

If his opening range is pretty wide (any pair, any ace, K9o+, K6s+, Q9o+, Q6s+, J9o+, J8s+, T9o, and most suited conns) the equilibrium reshoving range is 33+, A3+, A2s+, KTo+, K9s+, QJo, QTs, JTs). 33 has over 45% equity against that range so it's a call. Online I bet he snaps there with 33 and moves on to the next table: the only reason he tanked is he probably needed to think about whether you were reshoving as wide as optimally or not (most live players don't). Even if he tightens your range up a it to that more typical of live players, he has 42-44% equity so it's still a call.

When it's close that type of player pretty much always calls to avoid making themselves exploitable to the reshove, and to send a message to the table "Shove at your peril, I'll call you pretty light".
                                My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

Originally posted by doke View Post
                                  The shove is fairly standard, the call is ok too.

If his opening range is pretty wide (any pair, any ace, K9o+, K6s+, Q9o+, Q6s+, J9o+, J8s+, T9o, and most suited conns) the equilibrium reshoving range is 33+, A3+, A2s+, KTo+, K9s+, QJo, QTs, JTs). 33 has over 45% equity against that range so it's a call. Online I bet he snaps there with 33 and moves on to the next table: the only reason he tanked is he probably needed to think about whether you were reshoving as wide as optimally or not (most live players don't). Even if he tightens your range up a it to that more typical of live players, he has 42-44% equity so it's still a call.

When it's close that type of player pretty much always calls to avoid making themselves exploitable to the reshove, and to send a message to the table "Shove at your peril, I'll call you pretty light".
                                  Cheers Doke, on reflection I think maybe his stack size also might have been something that I didnt take into consideration. He had about 70-80k so the call represented about 15% of his stack and if he lost the flip he would have still been comfortable. Had he been shorter stacked he possibly wouldnt have been as likely to gamble. Either way I still think I am shoving KQo in that spot all day long against this tyoe of villian. Tbh Doke, Id say his opening range was even wider that that ( he showed a few K 2,s) bluffs etc.

Comment

Cheers Doke, on reflection I think maybe his stack size also might have been something that I didnt take into consideration. He had about 70-80k so the call represented about 15% of his stack and if he lost the flip he would have still been comfortable. Had he been shorter stacked he possibly wouldnt have been as likely to gamble. Either way I still think I am shoving KQo in that spot all day long against this tyoe of villian. Tbh Doke, Id say his opening range was even wider that that ( he showed a few K 2,s) bluffs etc.
                                    Then it's definitely a shove.

His stack size is a consideration all right. If he had less than 50 bbs, he'd be opening tighter with reshoving stacks behind (unless he thought the table was very weak and people were reshoving way too tight). With that stack and antes in play, any decent LAG will be opening very wide, because they can correctly call a reshove with something like 33, and even if they lose, they're still in the 50+ bb range that is most profitable for them.

One last point: ideally you prefer to find a reship in those situations when you have 18-22 bbs. Once you've dropped to 15, he's getting a good enough price that he can call a wide range, but with 18+ you have much more fold equity.
                                    My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

Originally posted by doke View Post
                                      Then it's definitely a shove.

His stack size is a consideration all right. If he had less than 50 bbs, he'd be opening tighter with reshoving stacks behind (unless he thought the table was very weak and people were reshoving way too tight). With that stack and antes in play, any decent LAG will be opening very wide, because they can correctly call a reshove with something like 33, and even if they lose, they're still in the 50+ bb range that is most profitable for them.

One last point: ideally you prefer to find a reship in those situations when you have 18-22 bbs. Once you've dropped to 15, he's getting a good enough price that he can call a wide range, but with 18+ you have much more fold equity.

The table was actually the same one that you were at! So if he thought that the standard was weak then he was wrong(myself excluded obv!).

Comment

Easy shove. Don't like the call.
                                        http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
                                        http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

Originally posted by Carl_Morrissey View Post
                                          Easy shove. Don't like the call.
                                          Was never gonna just call there. It was always a shove or fold and from the feedback so far a shove all day long!

Comment

Was never gonna just call there. It was always a shove or fold and from the feedback so far a shove all day long!
                                            I mean villains call with 33.
                                            http://carlmorrissey.blogspot.com/
                                            http://twitter.com/#!/Moro88

Comment

Originally posted by Carl_Morrissey View Post
                                              I mean villains call with 33.
                                              Sorry, me neither.

Comment

Working...
                                              X