Confused the shit out of me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before anyone says it. Yes I know, it wasnt the best of play by me. But that shitty bet on the turn then the huge bet on river really confused me a lot. Whats the best advice you could give me?

Full Tilt, $6 + $0.50 NL Hold'em Tournament, 40/80 Blinds, 8 Players
    LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

MP2: 3,330
    CO: 7,295
    Hero (BTN): 2,435
    SB: 2,335
    BB: 2,875
    UTG: 1,950
    UTG+1: 6,930
    MP1: 2,220

Pre-Flop: (120) 8 8 dealt to Hero (BTN)
    UTG folds, UTG+1 calls 80, MP1 folds, MP2 calls 80, CO folds, Hero raises to 300, 3 folds, MP2 calls 220

Flop: (800) T 6 J (2 Players)
    MP2 checks, Hero checks

Turn: (800) Q (2 Players)
    MP2 bets 80, Hero calls 80

River: (960) 3 (2 Players)
    MP2 bets 960, Hero calls 960

Results: 2,880 Pot
    MP2 showed 6 6 and WON 2,880 (+1,540 NET)
    Hero mucked 8 8 and LOST (-1,340 NET)

Best advice i can give is fold the river. You say it confused you, well if it doesn't feel right, then fold.

Think what hands are you beating on the river that limp/called 300 pre

Comment

Originally posted by Crow View Post
      Best advice i can give is fold the river. You say it confused you, well if it doesn't feel right, then fold.

Think what hands are you beating on the river that limp/called 300 pre
      I didnt put him on a pocket pair pre-flop though as he only limped. Guess limping with 6s is normal enough. He was mp I guess

Comment

Can't see that massive overbet being a bluff.

Why would he ever bet so much bluffing when a standard bet is going to get you to fold any hands you would be folding anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
          I didnt put him on a pocket pair pre-flop though as he only limped. Guess limping with 6s is normal enough. He was mp I guess
          If you didnt think he had a pocket pair then nearly everything else that he's calling with hit that board

Comment

Originally posted by A_CitizenErased View Post
            I would have thought small/medium pocket pairs make up a huge amount of most players overlimp ranges.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I'd never call the turn bet here. Either fold or raise.

Comment

when i read the title

i thought straight away fold, if your not sure what to do fold.

in this case its a def fold, what did you put him on?
                https://twitter.com/#!/PadraigONeill89

Comment

too ,ocked to read other replys

I def cbet and fold river though

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention have to c-bet as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                      Now that's a tad nitty. He bet 1/10 of the pot and we have maybe 4 x 9s and 2 x 8s to give us the best hand if we're behind.

The river is any easy fold tho, and it's a spot where Mahony gets himself into a few times. I think the problem is that you don't put your opponent on a hand. You said that you don't put him on a PP (you should, but that's a different point) so what non pair hands can he have that you beat? Remember he limp called preflop

Well not AK,AQ,AJ,A10,KQ,KJ,K10,K9,QJ,Q10,Q9,J10,J9,109,108 ,98 for starters. Then there's all the 2 spade hands. You are basically beating nothing. If he turns over 87s, wp but i wouldn't be calling 320 on the river nevermind 960. Take time to put your opponent on a range of hands when you're playing and this game becomes a helluva lot easier

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                        Now that's a tad nitty. He bet 1/10 of the pot and we have maybe 4 x 9s and 2 x 8s to give us the best hand if we're behind.

The river is any easy fold tho, and it's a spot where Mahony gets himself into a few times. I think the problem is that you don't put your opponent on a hand. You said that you don't put him on a PP (you should, but that's a different point) so what non pair hands can he have that you beat? Remember he limp called preflop

Well not AK,AQ,AJ,A10,KQ,KJ,K10,K9,QJ,Q10,Q9,J10,J9,109,108 ,98 for starters. Then there's all the 2 spade hands. You are basically beating nothing. If he turns over 87s, wp but i wouldn't be calling 320 on the river nevermind 960. Take time to put your opponent on a range of hands when you're playing and this game becomes a helluva lot easier
                        Ok thanks tony. Actually just said in another thread going to take a break from the online tables for maybe 2 weeks and study it a bit more before getting back into it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

if your raising with 88 pre in this spot you have to be c betting ALOT of flops since you decided to play fast with raise pre, a call with 88 here on the river is like a calling with A high almost

Comment

Why do people want to cbet here? I don't get it?

Think pls
                            Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

caus we fold out a large %0f a range thats ahead of us

yeah uck on internet pemis

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                Look on the internet for penis?

That what you do when you're drunk?

Comment

ship caus folding is gay?

Comment

???
                                    Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

raising pre with middle pp you wanna see trips or no more than one overcard

board texture on flop hits a lot of draws as well as calling hands

turn hits AK, which u may hold/represent and where i would raise to 300-500 to define hand ...he likely to reraise his trips there and an easy fold as what are you beating?

with 88 on button i like to just call in position with 2 limpers and blinds to act TBH and see the flop and take it from there ..with 30BB you wanna take down the limpers and would raise 500 at least this spot pre if i do raise

btw i fold river with a 'fek it'

Comment

At lower stakes id limp along here pre antes, as played fold the river

Comment

I've seen the villain's line quite a bit of late and it's pretty much always a monster. Thinking behind it seems to be:
                                          Flop: "Check to the raiser"
                                          Turn: "Crap. He didn't cbet. Let's min bet to see if he has anything and he might even interpret it as weakness and raise me"
                                          River: "OK, he's got something. Value ship or overbet and hope he calls"

I'd usually play it the same (any flop with JT is a bad one to cbet) but I always fold the river. You have to call the turn as the tiny min bet can also be 77-, a six or ace high. I don't think a raise turn achieves anything useful. I'd usually call 20-25% pot bets on the river as a lot of online players will bet that much as a blocker with hands you beat.
                                          Last edited by doke; 13-02-11, 10:41.
                                          My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

drunk obv - posts made less sense then usual - cant delete caus noobs quoted me

Comment

NGeLKJNGKJE> fucking stupid internets just lost my post

Cliffs: Raising turn to define your hand is wrong. You are raising to fold mediocre hands which are better than yours, i.e. you are bluffing.

Cbet makes no sense as again you are effectively bluffing as the only hand it is right to bet against in that spot is 89, pretty sure KQ has far too much equity to make betting flop correct. All lower PP's fold to any bet on the flop and have 2 outs to improve.

River is an easy fold - nobody is on a level to read your hand well enough to try and bluff you often enough that it makes calling correct.

I would limp behind preflop also for reasons AKQJT said.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                river is a fold, raising turn would be lol bad

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                  river is a fold, raising turn would be lol bad
                                                  But there's one thing I can't understand..

SPOILER
                                                  Chinese writing
                                                  Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

I'm quite tempted to replace the OP with this post. It would make the thread title all the more apt

Comment

Nice call i'd be folding river though

Comment

The turn was likely an attempt at "800" rather than an intentional ridic bet

River is a clear fold, even most of his bluffs beat you

Comment

Working...
                                                        X