Heads up hand .25/.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heads up hand .25/.5

Started playing 50c/€1 last few weeks on ipoker.

Started off pretty aggressive with the my results showing up pretty erratic. In last week I switched to a more controlled betting strategy to try and control pots more.

Against this reg. he had been playing pretty aggressive and in the main I had not raised out of position bar AA or KK.

This is one hand where we got it all in.

£0.25/£0.50 No Limit Holdem
    iPoker
    2 Players
    Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
    SB monkey88888 (£384.07)
    BB Hero (£74.26)

Pre-Flop: (£0.75, 2 players) Hero is BB :4d: :3d:
    monkey88888 raises to £1.50, Hero calls £1

Flop: :ac: :5c: :2c: (£2.75, 2 players)
    Hero checks, monkey88888 bets £2.25, Hero calls £2.25

Turn: :qs: (£7.25, 2 players)
    Hero checks, monkey88888 bets £5.62, Hero raises to £18.50, monkey88888 raises to £44, Hero goes all-in £70.51, monkey88888 calls £26.51

River: :4h: (£148.27, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: £148.27

I'd say he had something like QcTc, total cooler
    Last edited by digiman; 28-01-11, 22:03.

Comment

Bingo!

Its a cooler hand alright.

Am I always getting it in here or can I fold when he reraise me on the turn?

PS. ...Don't know why the card animations arent coming up
      Last edited by applehunter; 28-01-11, 22:12.

Comment

Not mad on your play. Your line is repping an absolute monster and it's hard to get paid off by worse.

Also, I wouldn't bother playing an aggressive reg when you can just wait for a fish. Tons of them at those stakes...
        Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmc38 View Post
          Not mad on your play. Your line is repping an absolute monster and it's hard to get paid off by worse.Also, I wouldn't bother playing an aggressive reg when you can just wait for a fish. Tons of them at those stakes...
          wow, are you forgetting this is heads up? vs an aggressive reg?

ranges are so much wider in HU and if you're not raise(/calling) for value with a flopped str8 on monotone boards here either on the flop or turn against most players, most of the time in HU you will miss tons of value imo.

that said in this case it may be a clear fold or and instaship depending what information we have garnered about our opponent.

the problem i see here is OP has given virtually no reads, game flow, dynamics or opponent tendencies and that will be crucial in deciding how we play the hand.

Ok it may be just a few hands in but i get the impression it's not.

If it is or it's such that you dont really have anymore to go on bar villian is an 'aggressive reg' and our image is nothing more than standard tight oop then i think playing the hand fast can't be bad as typical villain will have enough sets and pair+FDs in his range to call off our stack on the turn (we'll be 4betshoving at that point and needing around 40% equity vs his range if my calcs are about right)

there is also merit in playing it more conservatively since we dont know much about villain yet to be happy with c/r/getting it in on the turn but personally i think its better to assume we have the best hand most of the time here and c/raise for value and be ready to call off.

am i the only one who thinks along these lines?
          Last edited by bustamoves; 29-01-11, 01:38.

Comment

We're viewed as nitty, so i don't see a good reg stacking off with one pair here. I agree the hand is a cooler, but I'm not sure you should be stacking off here all the time, especially with a tight image.

Comment

3b or fold preflop imo. Don't particularly like calling 34s oop here.

I'd raise the flop a hell of a lot. It is kinda scary, but I think its a better way to felt it than calling and raising turn.

I think raising the turn is OK, and I don't like folding to the (essential) shove, although his line is very scary.
              Foldaramus et foldarabimus

Comment

Originally posted by TommyGunne View Post
                3b or fold preflop imo. Don't particularly like calling 34s oop here.

I'd raise the flop a hell of a lot. It is kinda scary, but I think its a better way to felt it than calling and raising turn.

I think raising the turn is OK, and I don't like folding to the (essential) shove, although his line is very scary.
                Why am I 3 betting pre-flop out of position?

Comment

Originally posted by applehunter View Post
                  To get him to fold

To get initiative in the hand

To get to continuation bet

Comment

Originally posted by applehunter View Post
                    As a bluff? It's not a great hand to peel a flop with because of the times that you flop well but find that you're dominated. But in a 3bet pot where your opponent's range is narrower, that's less likely to happen.

Most of the time he's gonna fold pre, a lot of the time he's gonna fold on the flop or on later streets, and some of the time we're gonna flop well and put ourselves in a good spot to stack him. Simples.
                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Because his raise range should be huge heads-up

There's a ton of reasons why 3Bet > Call

Comment

It is very bad to have such a short 3betting range oop against a hu reg. It's sounds crazy to me anyway.

Comment

Yeah it is imo.

With such a narrow 3bet range you are less likely to be paid on big hands, are taking too many pots OOP, are probably raising oo little and basically losing a ton of value.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                            It is very bad to have such a short 3betting range oop against a hu reg. It's sounds crazy to me anyway.
                            I throw in the odd 3 bet, but in general I will rarely 3 bet oop.

What would be your range for 3 betting oop?

Comment

Depends on the player. The looser the players opening range, the more you can 3bet hands for value. If you're only 3betting hands like AK/AQ/TT+ for value then you will leave your opponent with easy decisions when you 3bet. You should add suited connectors, unsuited connectors and other hnads into your range to ensure that you're 3betting a balanced range and not an easily predicted one....

Comment

Plus outright bluffs, some players will bet most buttons HU, sometimes after a string of poor hands/folds in the sb I'll just repop with anything playing of image

Comment

Pre 3bet>call but I prefer just folding unless he folds lots to 3bets if he is a decent reg

I just raise flop and get it in. I get it in on turn as played but I think he continues to a flop raise way wider than to your line

Comment

Working...
                                  X