River action - call or raise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

River action - call or raise?

Hi 1st time posting here on the theory section. Have begun to take poker a little more seriously lately and I'd like to hear opinions, because one thing I am still not 100% confident about in my game is river value betting versus stack preservation.

Basically what to do when holding a premium hand but not the nuts. Here's an example: I would like to hear what action you would take on the river here. (Also all comments on the rest of my play are welcome).

Full Tilt Poker Game #25131773936: Table Afterburner (6 max) - $0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em - 14:26:41 ET - 2010/10/30

Seat 1: squilt ($95.05)
    Seat 2: ZADVARIE ($70.70)
    Seat 3: Hero ($112.90)
    Seat 4: eemoaG ($100)
    Seat 5: kola69 ($113.65)
    Seat 6: seko2k ($104.25)

eemoaG posts the small blind of $0.50
    kola69 posts the big blind of $1
    The button is in seat #3

*** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to Hero [2h 2s]
    seko2k raises to $3.50
    squilt calls $3.50
    ZADVARIE folds
    Hero calls $3.50
    eemoaG folds
    kola69 calls $2.50

*** FLOP *** [4h 2c Qs]
    kola69 checks
    seko2k bets $8
    squilt folds
    Hero calls $8
    kola69 folds

*** TURN *** [4h 2c Qs] [Ac]
    seko2k bets $18
    Hero calls $18

*** RIVER *** [4h 2c Qs Ac] [Kd] (Pot is 63$)
    seko2k has 15 seconds left to act
    seko2k bets $42

What option do you take here? Villain has 32$ left behind and the pot is at 105$.

Cheers in advance

easy shove.

He calls with WAY less than JT and oversets.

printing money here. AK and AQ will snap call here, I like the flop call, I think there are some merits for a turn raise in a lot of spots here, but not in this case as he can't have the A and flush draw to go with it...

Comment

5 way, i'd raise the flop
      I think i also raise the turn and i'd be shoving the river as played

You haven't given any reads or any stats so hard to make a judgement on his range. He has shown strength on all streets so i suppose he could have a higher set, but AQ/AK/KQ are all in his range. The K completes a gutshot so J10 wouldn't be worrying me

Comment

Ok thanks for comments - Emmet you called it pretty much spot on he had AK.

I ended up shoving but was thinking about it for a bit. Think I am sometimes too cautious with value betting rivers.

Comment

I'm not sure why you'd raise the flop here. It's far too dry, and will put villain into lockdown mode IMO.

There are no scary turn cards, and we want him to bet his TT+ and QT+, KQ and AQ+ at least once more. A lot of these hands won't put more money in the pot after a flop raise.

Also, a flop raise will usually have less value for us than calling and allowing him to fire a decent size on the turn.

The flop is a call vs most if not all. The turn has arguments for a small raise, but you can't really be behind much and his valuebetting range includes loads of hands we beat that will dig their own hole even further on the river

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
            I'm not sure why you'd raise the flop here. It's far too dry, and will put villain into lockdown mode IMO.

There are no scary turn cards, and we want him to bet his TT+ and QT+, KQ and AQ+ at least once more. A lot of these hands won't put more money in the pot after a flop raise.

Also, a flop raise will usually have less value for us than calling and allowing him to fire a decent size on the turn.

The flop is a call vs most if not all. The turn has arguments for a small raise, but you can't really be behind much and his valuebetting range includes loads of hands we beat that will dig their own hole even further on the river
            It is a dry board but i like raising multiway to try and get more $$ in the pot. I'm not afraid i'm behind and can easily flat the flop, but i don't mind raising in this situation

Comment

Flop and turn are defo flats, against basically everyone river is a jam but you should post opponent stats to get better opinions

Comment

Working...
              X