AK UTG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AK UTG

playing a rebuy last night but bought in after break...
    i started hand with around 36k and im covered by villain.. blinds 400/800
    i raise with AKo UTG to 1900... it gets folded to button who insta 3 bets to 5800.. this player is fairly tight and when he gets hands you know because ive played cash with him and a few tournaments before so i know how he usually plays, hes also prone to over playinh certain hands like AQ and middle pairs on high boards.. anyways i tank call.. reason for this mentioned above.. this player is 3betting a wide range here JJ, AK, AQ, KK or AA.. even KQ is in this guys range to 3 bet..
    i flat call and a flop of K Q 9 w/ 2 hearts comes.. i lead for 8500 (is that right to do?) and he looks all confused at what just happened.. he tank calls but before doing so he says 'well see one more sure'.. many players do this so i took no notice of it... J on the turn to give 4 cards to a straight.. im thinking how the hand played out at this point and thinking of hands he would call with on the flop.. very possible he could have AQ, AK possibly KQ to call with here.. i take him off JJ because he cant call the flop on a board like that especially when i flat his 3bet pre flop.. i completely take 1010 out of his range here because again unless he donk calls the flop and gets lucky.. and i dont think hes 3 betting with A10 pre..
    how to play the turn from here on in...
    will reveal what he had towards end... sorry for the long stuff but thats how it played.. any advice pre flop, flop and turn would be helpful as im trying to improve this side of my game.. tough folds etc.. thanks lads...

What was the turn?

Edit: Ah see its a Jack

Check fold. Now.

KQ/TT/AT/AA/QQ/JJ/KK/99 are all in his 3 betting range as you say
    this player is fairly tight and when he gets hands you know
    . THey all have you crushed.
    Last edited by newbie2; 01-12-12, 21:40.

Comment

You said he's tight - I dont expect him to 3bet a UTG raiser with less then AA KK QQ AKs.
      One of these days I am either going to quit poker or learn how to play the damn game

Comment

Fair enough hes tight pre and his 3 betting range is close so pretty much this is a 4 bet play for stacks scenario or fold tbh! I may be ridiculed for endorsing a potential folding of AK minus 50bbs but you're the one playing the game and his 3 bet insinuates that he is not folding to a 4 bet shove

Saying that u are are not asking so much about the pre flop play but rather post flop which isn't terrible even tho I gave my personal preferences above!! As played I personally prefer check shoving the flop as it often folds out hands bluff hands with potential equity ie 1010!! Your stack is a lovely check above stack, I'm happy to get it in on the flop against the vast majority of opponents!!

Comment

Originally posted by deanolydon View Post
          this player is 3betting a wide range here JJ, AK, AQ, KK or AA..
          That is definitely not a wide range!

As for the hand i don't like the flop donk, achieves nothing unless you think he'll do something stupid with a worse one pair hand.
          Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

What are the stack sizes? Some of the info that your giving contradicts itself. Your saying that youve played with him before and that when he has a hand you know it, yet you then say he is capable of 3 betting KQ and that he over values big hands. I also think that the combo of hands youve given that you think he would 3 bet is definitley not a wide range. For me, given the info you have on the villain, depending on stack sizes, Im either 4 betting or folding.

I dont like flatting here at all. Im not saying its a terrible play generally, just with the info on the villain. I dont like leading the flop at all. Are you trying to get value from your hand or are you trying to get him to fold certain hands?

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
              You said he's tight - I dont expect him to 3bet a UTG raiser with less then AA KK QQ AKs.
              thats the thing.. this guy doesnt take into account UTG or any position in general!! there is no thought on position from him whatsoever...
              i made a very bad play on turn and i shoved for 21,400 and he snaps with 1010.. this was the last hand i put him on as i cant see how he calls a flop with this hand. i know my play is bad here so thats why i asked.. but talking to a friend(another poster also said) he said i should 4 bet here for info and if he 5bet shoves i can easily muck. i also though of a bet 4 shove pre flop but his actions looked as if he would have got it in..
              @ianmac, is that my bet leading into him? when i got kod i also though this was stupid because i should not have bet into the raiser, i usually dont but for some reason i wanted to lead here.. i think if i check flop he checks back and ill check or put small bet on turn and se where it goes,, but i do think i made competely wrong move and didnt play hand very well..

Comment

Working...
              X