Awkward turn spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awkward turn spot

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 125/250 Blinds 25 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

SB (t7808)
    Hero (BB) (t6171)
    UTG (t15661)
    UTG+1 (t7975)
    MP1 (t6567)
    MP2 (t5063)
    MP3 (t4651)
    CO (t12043)
    Button (t5322)

Hero's M: 10.29

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 7
    2 folds, MP1 calls t250, 3 folds, Button calls t250, SB calls t125, Hero checks

Flop: (t1225) 8, 10, 7 (4 players)
    SB bets t750, Hero calls t750, MP1 calls t750, 1 fold

Turn: (t3475) 9 (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 bets t1250, SB calls t1250, Hero folds

River: (t5975) 8 (2 players)
    SB checks, MP1 checks

Total pot: t5975

Small blind has been a little wild I had no real information on the other guy

Edit: Actually this is stupid I should have raised the flop, eugh...

Originally posted by replacement View Post
    PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 125/250 Blinds 25 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

SB (t7808)
    Hero (BB) (t6171)
    UTG (t15661)
    UTG+1 (t7975)
    MP1 (t6567)
    MP2 (t5063)
    MP3 (t4651)
    CO (t12043)
    Button (t5322)

Hero's M: 10.29

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 7
    2 folds, MP1 calls t250, 3 folds, Button calls t250, SB calls t125, Hero checks

Flop: (t1225) 8, 10, 7 (4 players)
    SB bets t750, Hero calls t750, MP1 calls t750, 1 fold

Turn: (t3475) 9 (3 players)
    SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 bets t1250, SB calls t1250, Hero folds

River: (t5975) 8 (2 players)
    SB checks, MP1 checks

Total pot: t5975

Small blind has been a little wild I had no real information on the other guy

Edit: Actually this is stupid I should have raised the flop, eugh...
    Dont like the flat call on the flop, definatly should have raised!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fitzy2010 View Post
      Dont like the flat call on the flop, definatly should have raised!!!
      Why exactly?

To get draws that we beat to fold? or to commit ourselves to hands that beat us?

I think you played it fine. The call on the flop is fine with a player behind to act. The turn is the worst card in the deck for you so folding is the right option. Try not to be results based with regards the river. You don't house up often enough to consider any other action.

Comment

Yeah but there's three other people in the hand so shouldn't I be raising that flop?
        Last edited by replacement; 01-01-12, 20:09.

Comment

After he bets 750 on the flop u have to RAISE it.... simple as!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fitzy2010 View Post
            After he bets 750 on the flop u have to RAISE it.... simple as!!
            Again why?

The op is asking for advice on the hand based on logic and strategy not instruction.

Comment

Yeah but there's three other people in the hand so shouldn't I be raising that flop?
              You can raise if you want but I would prefer to just flat call for a few reasons.

There is a player behind. If we raise then we are committed to calling his shove. We dont look too good against his range albeit not in dire shape. By flat calling we can get him to spazz out with a wider range. Which we look alot better against. Also if we flat and then the player behind shoves and the SB shoves...how do we like our hand now?

If we flat and the player behind folds then we are HU on the turn with a good hand against the SB. Our hand is under repped and now we can get it in on a any blank turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                You can raise if you want but I would prefer to just flat call for a few reasons.

There is a player behind. If we raise then we are committed to calling his shove. We dont look too good against his range albeit not in dire shape. By flat calling we can get him to spazz out with a wider range. Which we look alot better against. Also if we flat and then the player behind shoves and the SB shoves...how do we like our hand now?

If we flat and the player behind folds then we are HU on the turn with a good hand against the SB. Our hand is under repped and now we can get it in on a any blank turn.
                Thanks for the advice. I think I agree with you, it's not a nice flop for me facing a raise and two people to act behind (flopped straights, higher two pair are possible) but isn't there scope for a min raise here to try and thin the field and see where I stand? (conisdering the pot size)

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I agree with you, it's not a nice flop for me facing a raise and two people to act behind (flopped straights, higher two pair are possible) but isn't there scope for a min raise here to try and thin the field and see where I stand? (conisdering the pot size)
                  Are you suggesting min raiseing and folding to a raise?

This is bad because we shouldnt really be raise/folding two pairs ever. You wont really know where you stand as you ask, as most big combo draws will just get it in with you aswell as hands we are losing to.

As a general rule "raising for information" is a DONT DO in winning poker.

Comment

I think the thing that ruined me was the call from the player behind me. If the player behind me has A9 is he wrong to call that raise?

thanks for the advice btw

Comment

2175/call. We have a really vulnerable hand in bottom 2P on that board but even when we raise it's not like we're only getting it in vs a nutted range.

It's a $1 so people aren't going to give up their TP or OESD to a raise as often as they should. 99/AT/KT/QT/JT/T9/98 could all well be in limping ranges here and randoms wont limp with the gappers which crush us (J9/T8/T7/96) nearly as often as they will connectors.. plus we have blockers to a lot of 2P/set combos so when we raise we're in a lot better shape than you think against the range of hands villain(s) will continue with. Any value we lose from weaker hands by raising is easily counterbalanced by the protection we afford ourselves not offering three opponents the price to draw out against us.

5,4,3,2 are the only blank turns in the deck tbh. Overcards often lose us value from TP hands that SB will reconsider his hand strength on, while straightening cards shut down most action unless villain has drawn out on us.
                      "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

Working...
                      X