X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I love it when people come on and talk about football tactics online like experts. DITPoker and Breifne can probably back me up here but the level of thought that actually goes into designing a tactical system for a team is so far beyond what the average punter is even capable of imagining that it's staggering.

Since I started coaching my own team and reading books, manuals etc as well as attending courses on coaching with the FAI and using the truly excellent website Inside Soccer I have been astonished at how little I knew about football and, in particular, the ins and outs of setting up a system.

Picking Cox over Long made total sense last night from Trap's perspective as they both fulfill the same role, one which Long doesn't. Long is a natural replacement for Doyle. There was no point in bringing on Long as the game was effectively over at that point so Trap gave Walters a competitive run to see how he got on and took off Cox who is basically nailed on to start the next game if Keane isn't fit, probably with Long beside him.
      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
        reading comprehension fail.

I said, over the last 3 matches, not he was best in each game.

McGeady is running double duties in both defence and attack seing has he has either John O'Shea or Stephen Kelly behind him.

BTW I wouldn't say he was world class either, but he's a far better than he's being made out to be on here.
        Well I don't agree with the best over the 3 games part either.

FWIW i'd definitely have him in the team for the playoffs. For 1 he's so used to Traps style, particularly defensively(where he doesn't get enough credit I agree) and it would be a liability getting someone in at this stage particularly Coleman whose quite naive from a defending pov. From an attacking sense I don't think he'll ever not be a hit and miss type player, where he's overhyped on a good day and over criticised on a bad day.
        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
          I love it when people come on and talk about football tactics online like experts. DITPoker and Breifne can probably back me up here but the level of thought that actually goes into designing a tactical system for a team is so far beyond what the average punter is even capable of imagining that it's staggering.

Since I started coaching my own team and reading books, manuals etc as well as attending courses on coaching with the FAI and using the truly excellent website Inside Soccer I have been astonished at how little I knew about football and, in particular, the ins and outs of setting up a system.

Picking Cox over Long made total sense last night from Trap's perspective as they both fulfill the same role, one which Long doesn't. Long is a natural replacement for Doyle. There was no point in bringing on Long as the game was effectively over at that point so Trap gave Walters a competitive run to see how he got on and took off Cox who is basically nailed on to start the next game if Keane isn't fit, probably with Long beside him.
          +1

This is AVB's scout report in 2005.

It will teach you how to beat Newcastle in 2005 but will open your eyes too. It is an education.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            Can you not fly Dublin to Cork anymore?
            Isn't there some new road opened that makes driving it faster than flying something to that effect and cheaper.
            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Oh god, football debates are so boring - can we not have a lively political / economic / scientific debate instead? Any thoughts on punctuated equilibrium versus phyletic gradualism; this might be interesting for you Hitchhiker, get you into evolution, it is truly one of the most interesting things to learn about, once you understand natural selection everything suddenly 'makes sense', it is a moment of clarity that must be akin to a sudden religious breakthrough or awakening.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                    +1

This is AVB's scout report in 2005.

It will teach you how to beat Newcastle in 2005 but will open your eyes too. It is an education.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...1_1927022a.pdf
                    That's actually really impressive. The attention to detail is phenomenal.
                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Personally I'd have Lawrence ahead of both McGeady & Hunt.
                      However, I can see Trap's reasons for McGeady as he does have him working back & in counter-attack/tight situations he does offer something even if he doesn't get it right the majority of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                        McGeady is decent.

Simple as that. I'd have Hunt ahead of him.
                        Hunt is the very definition of an impact sub.
                        Playing him from the start would be a waste
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Robbie Keane wasn't playing last night and we won - De facto he's shite

/involvement in football debate

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                              Hunt is the very definition of an impact sub.
                              Playing him from the start would be a waste
                              I used to think that but I think it is time to start him. He will defend as well as McGeady and can cross the ball better.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                Ha,that's the one I was trying to find.Have you found a way of searching for The Far Side stuff?anytime I try to google a particular cartoon I get a load of random stuff.

I've been trying to find the doughnut shop one for ages,the one where the owner is wondering why the shop is not making a profit.
                                Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                    De facto he's shite
                                    I've never used De Facto like this as I usually stick to Ergo instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                      Just because ye reminded me. Remember reading some fiction book where the guy is studying three-toed sloths. Can't remember the book. There was some story about them that was fascinating, but can't remember it. hmm, anyone any ideas what that story might be?! Remember googling it at the time and it wasn't 100% true, so would really only be a story known by someone who has also read that unknown book...

Life of Pi?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Anyone ever motorbiked S America? Or travelled through parts of it? Just looking for some recommendations of places to visit. Planning on going either summer 13 or 14. 2014 has the added incentive of Brazil WC. Reading Alberto Grenado's Travelling with Che atm. Think I'm getting too excited about something so far away!

Comment

Just because ye reminded me. Remember reading some fiction book where the guy is studying three-toed sloths. Can't remember the book. There was some story about them that was fascinating, but can't remember it. hmm, anyone any ideas what that story might be?! Remember googling it at the time and it wasn't 100% true, so would really only be a story known by someone who has also read that unknown book...

something about them starving to death with full stomachs?
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                Anyone ever motorbiked S America? Or travelled through parts of it? Just looking for some recommendations of places to visit. Planning on going either summer 13 or 14. 2014 has the added incentive of Brazil WC. Reading Alberto Grenado's Travelling with Che atm. Think I'm getting too excited about something so far away!
                                                I know its a movie but the motor cycle diaries looked class.
                                                Dont get stuck on some mountain pass froze too death

Comment

Originally posted by The Hurricane View Post
                                                  You said you were after reading 2 pages of stuff Keith when everyone else was still on page one.

Change your setting to more posts per page, makes it easier to follow
                                                  lol ok, didnt know wtf you were on about

100 post per page, happy
                                                  Last edited by TheImprover; 12-10-11, 11:50.

Comment

Just home, woke up face down on a beach on the other side of the island, all I managed to lose was my t-shirt...

Think I'll stay in next Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                                      Just home, woke up face down on a beach on the other side of the island, all I managed to lose was my t-shirt...

was your pants pulled down around the back of your knees, with a suspiciously empty jar of vaseline thrown beside you in the sand?...............
                                                      then again you'd probably keep that to yourself

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Across the road from work tomorrow, £36.50 a bit much though...

Comment

Attached Files
                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/News...453663,00.html
                                                            wtf is a lounge suit and why would you need one to listen to Johnny giles? Wtf would anyone want to pay money to listen to him anyway?
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              That couldn't be true could it no way could that be going on for years, maybe for a few weeks but surely no one is dumb enough to let that slip by.
                                                              You used to be able to do it on ipoker too. They didn't update that regularly though.

Comment

While it was indeed full moon two nights ago, there's actually zero connection between full moon and behaviour/mood!
                                                                i heard it was due to the moons ability to control tides, so when its a full moon and since we are made up mainly of water, it drives us daft. An auld saying used be to put "Salt in yer Boots" to cure this full moon madness, prob to draw the water back down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDRwZ...eature=related

Comment

I know its a rag reading it online but the sindos aying the irish heroes come back from rugby world cup.
                                                                  8th we came were ranked 5th in the world how the fuck are they heroes?
                                                                  then Kidney saying the reason we did so well was because of the support from the fans
                                                                  usual underacheivement and still get called legends no wodner we never perform internationally

Comment

so much win in this post, was the girl from last week involved? is there a scare on your back! Kindey robbing on the beach FTW

Comment

Good man Rog. Prob posted already.

/retarded. Someone change this so pic comes up automatically
                                                                      Last edited by tylerdurden94; 12-10-11, 12:28. Reason: pic embedded.

Comment

wtf is a lounge suit and why would you need one to listen to Johnny giles? Wtf would anyone want to pay money to listen to him anyway?
                                                                        was thinking of heckling

Comment

He is quite entertaining in this kind of environment. Have heard him a couple of times on Off The Ball roadshows telling stories about his career and stuff that happened and was very good. Wouldn't be paying 36 stering for it tho

Comment

hmm what book would I read about all that type of stuff in? Any chance that perennial shelf-dwelling: Bill Bryson Short History of Nearly Everything would be any use in that regard?
                                                                            Nah, that wouldn't help too much I think - great book though, fun read! I'd go for a Richard Dawkins book to be fair (his books on evolution are great IMHO), I enjoyed the Blind Watchmaker so much the first time I read it, think this is the perfect starting point. I also really liked his more recent An Ancestor's Tale, but that doesn't really go into how the process of natural selection started IIRC, moreso deals with the products of said process (the magnificence of the natural world, no less!)

Oh man I love good popular science books, best reads out there, followed closely by popular history of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

http://www.stokecityfc.com/page/News...453663,00.html
                                                                              Who to hell voted Giles the best Irish player of the last 50 years in 2004?? Laim Brady, Paul Mcgrath, Packie Bonner, Frank Stapelton .............

Comment

@HH: You can get an audiobook version of Short History where Bryson reads it himself - it's a book particularly well suited to listening to IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                  Nah, that wouldn't help too much I think - great book though, fun read! I'd go for a Richard Dawkins book to be fair (his books on evolution are great IMHO), I enjoyed the Blind Watchmaker so much the first time I read it, think this is the perfect starting point. I also really liked his more recent An Ancestor's Tale, but that doesn't really go into how the process of natural selection started IIRC, moreso deals with the products of said process (the magnificence of the natural world, no less!)

Oh man I love good popular science books, best reads out there, followed closely by popular history of course.
                                                                                  Steve Jones's updating of On the Origin of Species , Almost like a Whale is very good.

Comment

Comment

Its just a mixture of letters and numbers it doesn't make any sense.

Comment

If you copy and paste this to 12 friend's profiles your life will be filled with happiness and you will meet the person of your dreams.

80% of people will not pass this on.They will all die within 24 hours.
                                                                                        Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

Give us an example of what you go through for training sessions. And then the tactics you decide upon for games and the parameters that help decide this? If you dont mind. Thanks

ESTONIA 1 time please!!!!!

Best Cheese and Onion crisps around

Anyone got any unique ideas for Fancy dress outfits? Looking for something good, that isnt your run of the mill $hite.
                                                                                          GAA News Website

Comment

Sitting in the auditorium at Intel listening to some German blabber on about anti-ferromagnets. Sometimes I wonder how I got to this point. Thank God for the internet.
                                                                                            Last edited by Guest; 12-10-11, 12:57.

Comment

How do some people get into college . Im shit at maths but some here are having basic mean median mode & sampling issues.
                                                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                                                                                                Give us an example of what you go through for training sessions. And then the tactics you decide upon for games and the parameters that help decide this? If you dont mind. Thanks

ESTONIA 1 time please!!!!!

Anyone got any unique ideas for Fancy dress outfits? Looking for something good, that isnt your run of the mill $hite.
                                                                                                Good choice with the crisps they were only bettered by

Go as a youtube video or Facebook profile.

SPOILER

Or a Gay pirate

SPOILER

Comment

Uncle Albert from Only fools and horses would be easy enough to do (saw some fellow dressed as him no GOLD and it was quite good).

Comment

eating a pack of these atm the fatty in me is happy

Comment

How about this

SPOILER
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Sorry on this, the last time i dressed up i went out with a box of cornflake's tied around my neck with a plasitc knife sticking into the side of it

SPOILER
                                                                                                        Cereal Killer obv

Comment

This is genius of the highest order and Worksafe too

Celebrating pornographers who go the extra mile when set dressing classroom porn and actually write something on the blackboard. What do they write, and is it correct?(Humour site - Intended to be safe for work)"Someone get this blogger a book deal!" - Salon

Comment

Ha love the serial killer!

everyone has done the over grown baby Michelle!

Corbett, Im glad i wasnt eating when i looked at your second pic.

Theres a competition at the house party im going to - so seeing im NOT in anyway competitive, keep the ideas coming!!!!!
                                                                                                            GAA News Website

Comment

Theres a competition at the house party im going to - so seeing im NOT in anyway competitive, keep the ideas coming!!!!!
                                                                                                              Ask zuroph can you borrow something from his zombie closet

Comment

Easy to do but depends on the crowd
                                                                                                                SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                  Ask zuroph can you borrow something from his zombie closet
                                                                                                                  I was a zombie last year.
                                                                                                                  Piss easy to do and looks great

Comment

If you are really lazy
                                                                                                                    use a bit of string as a belt, tie a potato to said thread and hang in front---hey presto---Dictator

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                                      How do some people get into college . Im shit at maths but some here are having basic mean median mode & sampling issues.
                                                                                                                      is that mostly mature students though? it's understandable if so no?

if its people just out of school or a couple of years out, its a fairly bad standard alright. Especially doing that course.

Comment

im thinking the gay pirate would suit you down to the ground...

Comment

WSOPE Omaha Final Table is kicking off in a few minutes Eoghan O Dea on it.

Veetle
                                                                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X