This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
    Would it not be more benificial to leave your opponents guessing instead of letting them know who they'll be facing? Surely different players in the same position posess different qualities/ challenges to opponents. Just don't see any positive in naming early and not keeping cards close to chest.
    I think the formation is more strict in rugby than say football so there less scope to come up with a starting 15 that you'd want to keep secret. In rugby they have to line up 1-15 and the formation of the 15 will always be the same. Also there has to be so many scrummers, there will always be tall people for lineouts etc. There will rarely be a case where you will change your 15 because of something you've seen in the oppositions selected 15.

Whereas in football giving away that you are playing 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 is giving away a possible advantage and the opposition may react to counter it. Even knowing in a 4-5-1 whether the 1 up front is Zigic or Dafoe is a big bit of knowledge to have.

Comment

Ireland haven't beaten one of the big three in the southern hemisphere in three decades.

Let's be realistic, we will lose. But the question is whether we can A) be as physical as we were last March B) execute with the ball as efficiently as possible. If we answer yes to both on the day, we'll make it a horse race at the very least.

Everything I've seen of Cooper tells me that he can be rattled into becoming a liability more than a strength. I'll be hauling my carcass into the Woolshed hoping for an unlikely miracle. One time and all of that.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I've created a monster.
        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Personnally I think we should be resting/giving other players a game for the austrailia match will the intention of going all out against Italy.

Comment

if we need to rest players in order to beat Italy we shouldn't be there.

We haven't lost to them in professional rugby.

That being said, last time they should've won as we played like a group of paraplegics.

Comment

Free stuff up for grabs, for slagging The Hurricane

Comment

Been a while folks

About a year since I started training using Bryan Kavanagh's programmes and diet plans, let's see the results;
                Weight lost: 51kg(over 75kg in total)
                Body fat lost: Over 50% id say(60-65+ -> 11%)
                Waist size: 46' to 30'
                Shirt size: XXXL to Small
                15 years of knowledge in exercises, technique and nutrition.
                Feeling better then I've ever felt in my life, all the time.

Total money spent of his services: 250 euro, the best 250 quid I've ever fucking spent. Legend of a man.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  Ireland haven't beaten one of the big three in the southern hemisphere in three decades.

Let's be realistic, we will lose. But the question is whether we can A) be as physical as we were last March B) execute with the ball as efficiently as possible. If we answer yes to both on the day, we'll make it a horse race at the very least.

Everything I've seen of Cooper tells me that he can be rattled into becoming a liability more than a strength. I'll be hauling my carcass into the Woolshed hoping for an unlikely miracle. One time and all of that.
                  Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                  Personnally I think we should be resting/giving other players a game for the austrailia match will the intention of going all out against Italy.
                  Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                  if we need to rest players in order to beat Italy we shouldn't be there.

We haven't lost to them in professional rugby.

That being said, last time they should've won as we played like a group of paraplegics.
                  Its a strange one. We need to show to ourselves as much as anything that we can be competitive at this level BUT the Italy game is our Cup Final. That is the most important game in Irish International for two years and probably for the next four. Nothing else matters. The only prize for winning this is a 70% chance of meeting Wales rather than SA in a QF.
                  These big Aussies will be bouncing off our guys crunching for target practice. There are so many players we cannot afford to lose. I can see a case for playing an inexperienced side tomorrow to give as many players a taste of what its like against the big boys. I'm not keen on him like using players who are at high risk of injury and don't need the experience like Healy, O'Driscoll O'Connell and Darcy in this game.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                    God I'm so hungry right now! Heading to the Silver Tassie in lovely Loughlinstown for lunch though, a nice carvery to be had. Will certainly be sleepy for the afternoon but should be able to dive out of here fairly early today, given the times we live in!

Started playing Portal 2 last night, seems like an absolutely fantastic game, an improvement (if possible) over its amazing predecessor. I highly recommend it.

Speaking of games, it turns out I've a spare copy of Half Life 2 that I can gift to anyone on Steam who doesn't already have it (it is a bit old by now but still awesome, played through it early last year and was tonnes of fun). Let me know if interested.
                    Wow, speak of the devil and all that: as of today, Portal is FREE on Steam!

Portal™ is a new single player game from Valve. Set in the mysterious Aperture Science Laboratories, Portal has been called one of the most innovative new games on the horizon and will offer gamers hours of unique gameplay.

If you have a PC / laptop and don't already have it, do yourself a favour, it really is great. Join the IPB gamers group on Steam as well, we'll organise some online games one of these days.

Comment

Join the IPB gamers group on Steam as well, we'll organise some online games one of these days.
                      When did this happen and what games do you play?

+1 x a million on Portal btw. Awesome games. Fresh, innovative and hilarious.
                      Last edited by Moneymaker; 16-09-11, 13:24.

Comment

anybody interested in 2 tickets to the O2 for the big screen coverage of the game tomorrow? would need to collect in Dublin this afternoon/evening obv
                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                          Been a while folks

About a year since I started training using Bryan Kavanagh's programmes and diet plans, let's see the results;
                          Weight lost: 51kg(over 75kg in total)
                          Body fat lost: Over 50% id say(60-65+ -> 11%)
                          Waist size: 46' to 30'
                          Shirt size: XXXL to Small
                          15 years of knowledge in exercises, technique and nutrition.
                          Feeling better then I've ever felt in my life, all the time.

Total money spent of his services: 250 euro, the best 250 quid I've ever fucking spent. Legend of a man.
                          Incredible achievement, vwp!

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                            When did this happen and what games do you play?

+1 x a million on Portal btw. Awesome games. Fresh, innovative and hilarious.
                            Dude, change your sig please or I'll have to. It is pretty annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                              Pfffft.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                Well, if he's not playing surely it gives us more of a chance. A much bigger chance really.

Surely it means we wont need to overcommit at the breakdown like we would if he was playing. Means we'll actually have the option of getting it wide. I dont think there'd be as much worry of turnovers or giving away silly penalties either. O'Brien will be freer to run with it too.

Also, without him the ball might not come back as quick, we wont have overcommitted so we should have a solid defensive pattern to combat the two boys genius.

I think he's possibly the best player we could have asked for to get injured (I still think he'll play though).
                                Getting it wide is easy all you do is pass the ball backwards out the line, gaining ground doing so is much harder, you can have a basher at 12 think Nonu powerful can break tackles or someone liek Sonny Bill who has great hands and pace too who creates space.

We have not Darcy and O driscoll are nowhere near the force they once were they have played pro rugby for over 10 years only so much the body can take
                                Darcys form has been woeful from dropped balls to bad passes and Bod is clearly carrying an injury.
                                All the oz centers have to do is tackle and Pat Mccabe will tackle till the cows come home hes not fancy they have the rest of the backline for that.

We have a poor bench oz can bring on Scott Higginbottom an exzcellent backrower can play in all 3 spots there and Drew micthell back froma bad injury but streets ahead of what we have on our bench Leamy and Ryan

The strongest part of our team our backrow is matched and probably bettered by oz
                                and elsewhere were outclassed bar the front row subs are poor though if Pocock plays im sure he will oz by 17pts.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                  The only prize for winning this is a 70% chance of meeting Wales rather than SA in a QF.
                                  It would also give you a far more realistic chance of winning a semi, where the likely opponents would be England or France rather than the All Blacks.

A win tommorrow as unlikely as it seems would have us most likely two wins against very beatable Northern hemisphere teams away from a World Cup final, the game tomorrow is huge in that regard and our biggest game since the Grand Slam.

Comment

Who said Dead air is bad??

http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                    donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Hailstones, winter is coming. Can't find a decent Game of Thrones clip

Comment

Better be fucking sunny on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                          What was it?
                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Wow, speak of the devil and all that: as of today, Portal is FREE on Steam!

Portal™ is a new single player game from Valve. Set in the mysterious Aperture Science Laboratories, Portal has been called one of the most innovative new games on the horizon and will offer gamers hours of unique gameplay.

If you have a PC / laptop and don't already have it, do yourself a favour, it really is great. Join the IPB gamers group on Steam as well, we'll organise some online games one of these days.
                                            If any of you haven't played Portal yet, it is IMO one of the greatest games ever made. You'd be mad not to grab this right now.
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                              What was it?
                                              SPOILER

Comment

Lads I'm heading to Barcelona next weekend with a group of 10. Typically we have nothing booked and it just came to our attention that there is some big fest on there next weekend and it seems that all hostels are booked out. Does anyone know of any companies that rent apartments in the city?

Comment

Had a skip come this morning to get rid of my all my broken lawnmowers and hoovers, old monitors, old TVs, all the rubbish you gather when you don't have a car to get rid of broken things as they occur.

Spent from 12 to 2pm filling in (is there any job more satisfyingly manly than piling stuff neatly into a skip).

Sitting in my living room now on guard - I can see the women coming back from the school run and eyeing up the skip in a 'must get husband to throw out unwanted stuff into that gobshites skip when its get dark' way.
                                                  I'm onto them though, and they'll underestimate at their peril my ability to stay up until dawn breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                    Does anyone know of any companies that rent apartments in the city?
                                                    We used www.apartmentsapart.com and got a decent 5bed about 10 minutes walk from the top of Ramblas. They were handy enough to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                      If any of you haven't played Portal yet, it is IMO one of the greatest games ever made. You'd be mad not to grab this right now.
                                                      I cannot endorse this enough. Brilliant, clever and downright hilarious, this game is fucking unreal. Plus if you play through it you'll appreciate the sequel even more, and the sequel is even better.
                                                      "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                        Had a skip come this morning to get rid of my all my broken lawnmowers and hoovers, old monitors, old TVs, all the rubbish you gather when you don't have a car to get rid of broken things as they occur.

Spent from 12 to 2pm filling in (is there any job more satisfyingly manly than piling stuff neatly into a skip).

Sitting in my living room now on guard - I can see the women coming back from the school run and eyeing up the skip in a 'must get husband to throw out unwanted stuff into that gobshites skip when its get dark' way.
                                                        I'm onto them though, and they'll underestimate at their peril my ability to stay up until dawn breaks.
                                                        who's the skip with, disappointed if not me!!

FYI on this stuff from working in this for a year Blackrock/dundrum area has a serious problem with piromanic's they way people go on and also who the fuck goes around burning bins freaks!!

Also i would take a picture of them, take the sutff out of your skip f it back in to your garden in the middle of the dahy in full sight of everyone, when they get pissed at you ring the cops show them the photo's and hey presto..... no one will f with you every again! Bad ass of the block!! Yo

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                          Lads I'm heading to Barcelona next weekend with a group of 10. Typically we have nothing booked and it just came to our attention that there is some big fest on there next weekend and it seems that all hostels are booked out. Does anyone know of any companies that rent apartments in the city?
                                                          If I remember rightly this website was where we got our apartment last time we were in Barcelona and it had quite a big selection, we got one that (more or less) slept 11 that was basically on Las Ramblas for a decent price.
                                                          "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                            I cannot endorse this enough. Brilliant, clever and downright hilarious, this game is fucking unreal. Plus if you play through it you'll appreciate the sequel even more, and the sequel is even better.
                                                            I've played about half a dozen levels and I'm stuck already the one where you are supposed to fall through the hole... spent 20 minutes stuck there then forgot about it must have another go.

Comment

I've played about half a dozen levels and I'm stuck already the one where you are supposed to fall through the hole... spent 20 minutes stuck there then forgot about it must have another go.
                                                              Definitely get back on it, such a rewarding game, and the story line is almost needlessly brilliant/engrossing. It really gets very deep as it goes along in the second game and is well worth finishing both of them. Plus the voice overs are just inspired.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                Definitely get back on it, such a rewarding game, and the story line is almost needlessly brilliant/engrossing. It really gets very deep as it goes along in the second game and is well worth finishing both of them. Plus the voice overs are just inspired.
                                                                I only started Portal 2 last night and was in stitches from the start with that character voiced by Stephen Merchant - so so so funny!

Comment

God I'm so hungry right now! Heading to the Silver Tassie in lovely Loughlinstown for lunch though, a nice carvery to be had. Will certainly be sleepy for the afternoon but should be able to dive out of here fairly early today, given the times we live in!

Started playing Portal 2 last night, seems like an absolutely fantastic game, an improvement (if possible) over its amazing predecessor. I highly recommend it.

Speaking of games, it turns out I've a spare copy of Half Life 2 that I can gift to anyone on Steam who doesn't already have it (it is a bit old by now but still awesome, played through it early last year and was tonnes of fun). Let me know if interested.
                                                                  coillcam is my steam id if you still have HL2 to donate I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                    who's the skip with, disappointed if not me!!
                                                                    ooooooooooh!

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by greywolf View Post
                                                                      Couldnt imagine a brazilian jail being too luxurious.
                                                                      Looks like the capsules are all over the place he must have a huge stomach.
                                                                      having to excavate them while being under observation not cool.
                                                                      People do stupid things

Comment

I only started Portal 2 last night and was in stitches from the start with that character voiced by Stephen Merchant - so so so funny!
                                                                        JK Simmons > Merchant.

To be fair though, considering the sheer volume of dialogue, Merchant does an amazing job.

SPOILER

Comment

Team Fortress 2 is also free on steam, way better than any console fps, and as ghey as it might sound people with mics are friendly and helpful.

Comment

I am giving away an IPO seat ITT in the next hour if anyone fancies a punt

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

jebus you keep alot of broken shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                I think the now 3/1 on Norris to re enter with pp is huge.
                                                                                Bink

Comment

are you allowed drive a van on a normal full Irish license?

Trying to figure the logistics of moving all my crap across

Comment

Shinners are all in now... How strong is their hand?

Comment

are you allowed drive a van on a normal full Irish license?

Trying to figure the logistics of moving all my crap across
                                                                                      yip. up to 3.5 tonnes or 7 seats I think.
                                                                                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                        he needs to put EVERYTHING to bed on the Late Late tonight. Needs to bury stuff before it even comes out.
                                                                                        donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Yup, prob depends on the size van as its based on weight afaik

Comment

BrianByne aint got shit on me

Coachless baby. Crushin the 50c'ers.

Comment

booked a hotel in Youghal the other day for tomorrow night, woke up with a voicemail this morning saying the hotel was gone into liquidation today and closing at 3 o clock could it not have waited til monday!!
                                                                                              the walter raleigh hotel youghal- was a shit hole anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                anybody interested in 2 tickets to the O2 for the big screen coverage of the game tomorrow? would need to collect in Dublin this afternoon/evening obv
                                                                                                No interest in this?

Comment

Coachless baby. Crushin the 50c'ers.
                                                                                                  Hi Emmet what's your SN is this on stars can see it (screen shot, upload)

Comment

Dublin -v- Kerry

Looking at the game from a perspective of player -v- player there's simply no way to see Dublin winning the game. Against lesser forward lines Dublin have conceded an unacceptable amount of scores overall. Somehow in spite of this Dublin are still rated as a defensively superior team to Kerry. While that's probably true in an overall sense the balance between Kerry's forwards and backs seems far better than Dublin's, who place an over-reliance on individual performances at the front while concentrating on a team ethic at the back.

However, it is that team ethic that moves this game away from a straight shootout and into a more tactical game. Dublin will definitely get more space than they got -v- Donegal, albeit less than they got -v- Tyrone, and similarly Kerry will face a meaner defence than any they have faced this year in Dublin. Mayo showed that, before panicking mercilessly half way through the 2nd half, by constricting the space and the quality ball reaching Cooper & Co. Kerry can be kept in touch, a fact that will offer more in the way of encouragement to Dublin than to Kerry. That said, if any of the Dublin backs has a bad day Cooper, the O'Sullivan's and Donaghy are more than capable of tearing them to shreds wherever the weakness appears. The full-back line in particular are in for the game of their lives against a vastly more experienced and polished attack than they have faced all year.

Substitutions may decide this game and the 2 star performers from the bench are Galvin and McMenamin. This is a good microcosm of the overall problem Dublin have. Kerry are bringing on the 2009 Footballer of the Year, guaranteed to raise the team and the crowd. Dublin are bringing on an admittedly very good footballer who hasn't been able to maintain a Championship starting berth despite impressing in the league. That said it was McMenamin who made a serious difference in the league fixture between these two and his influence in the last 20 may be telling.

Overall when you take experience, basic skills and temperament into account it's hard to see past Kerry. The game will almost certainly be tighter than the previous Championship encounter but Kerry should have enough to edge a close encounter with the benches being the decisive factor.

Kerry by 2-3. Dublin to win it next year.

Substitutes
                                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Pfft 800% SnG ROI baby

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                                        Hi Emmet what's your SN is this on stars can see it (screen shot, upload)
                                                                                                        its quite clearly on the image!

Come at me bro

Comment

its quite clearly on the image!

Come at me bro
                                                                                                          Think he probably means he can't see the image...

Comment

Originally posted by Zuroph View Post
                                                                                                            he needs to put EVERYTHING to bed on the Late Late tonight. Needs to bury stuff before it even comes out.
                                                                                                            Even if he does I can't really see him winning tbh.

Comment

Shinners are all in now... How strong is their hand?
                                                                                                              I'm finally interested in the presidential election
                                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The house is going to be like a lunatic asylum for the duration, with the first wave arriving tonight and more tomorrow and probably Sunday. No idea how much I'll be online, if at all, so best of luck to everyone looking for tickets, and enjoy Sunday.

Ciarraí Abú!

Originally posted by Sigerson Clifford
                                                                                                                I am Kerry like my mother before me
                                                                                                                And my mother's mother and her man
                                                                                                                Now I sit on an office stool remembering
                                                                                                                And the memory of them like a fan
                                                                                                                Soothes the embers into flame.
                                                                                                                I am Kerry and proud of my name

My heart is looped around the rutted hills
                                                                                                                That shoulder the stars out of the sky
                                                                                                                And about the wasp-yellow fields
                                                                                                                And the strands where the kelp streamers lie;
                                                                                                                Where soft as lovers' Gaelic the rain falls
                                                                                                                Sweeping into silver the lacy mountain walls.

My grandfather tended the turf fire
                                                                                                                And leaning backward into legend spoke
                                                                                                                Of doings old before quills inked history.
                                                                                                                I saw dark heroes fighting in the smoke,
                                                                                                                Diarmuid dead inside his Iveragh cave
                                                                                                                And Deirdre caoining upon Naoise's grave.

I see the wise face now with its hundred wrinkles
                                                                                                                And every wrinkle held a thousand tales
                                                                                                                Of Fionn and Oscar and Conán Maol
                                                                                                                And sea-proud Niall whose conquering sails
                                                                                                                Raiding France for slaves and wine
                                                                                                                Brought Patrick to mind Miolchú's swine.

Ah! I should have put a noose about the throat of time
                                                                                                                And choked the passing of the hobnailed years
                                                                                                                And stayed young always shouting in the hills
                                                                                                                Where life held only fairy fears.
                                                                                                                When I was young my feet were bare
                                                                                                                But I drove the cattle to the fair.

'Twas thus I lived skin to skin with the earth
                                                                                                                Elbowed by the hills, drenched by the billows,
                                                                                                                Watching the wild geese making black wedges
                                                                                                                By Skelligs far west and Annascaul of the willows.
                                                                                                                Their voices came on every little wind
                                                                                                                Whispering across the half-door of the mind
                                                                                                                For always I am Kerry . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                                  The house is going to be like a lunatic asylum for the duration, with the first wave arriving tonight and more tomorrow and probably Sunday. No idea how much I'll be online, if at all, so best of luck to everyone looking for tickets, and enjoy Sunday.

Ciarraí Abú!
                                                                                                                  If you hear sniff of any be sure to text me my guy fell through on me. Bastard.
                                                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                    I'm finally interested in the presidential election
                                                                                                                    Was talking to a friend the other day and we figured that it was going to be him or Grizzly.

I'll tell you this I'll vote for him myself if he tells the truth about his activities in the 70's and 80's.

My immediate reaction is that he might well win, but I and thousands of others will reserve the right to use every opportunity, no matter how solemn the occasion to demand a truthful answer to those questions.

Sigh! I could end up having to vote for Gay Mitchell

Comment

I enjoyed this post in the Bruce thread

Comment

...
                                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X