This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Table quiz last night.

What check-out in Tesco Ballyfermot did X-Factors Mary Byrne work at?

We are all from Galway and dont know the store. We all agree just to pick a random number as nobody has a clue. One team mate spouts out 13 quickly and the others agree.

Then I try to explain why the number shouldnt be totally random and that we should not move too far away from the number one. I said something like \"The further you move away from one the higher the probability that the checkout does not exist\".

Blank looks. We stuck with 13.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
      the fact that there is 100 quid tickets at all is a sham.
      Sure you'd probably pay twice that when you go to watch Britney or Kylie or whatever you're into these days.
      Last edited by Dice75; 09-10-12, 09:12.

Comment

If people are stupid enough to pay it, then charge it.

Comment

Got a letter from Greyhound this morning, never have I seen a communication that screams 'help, we is el busto!!' like this.

And I remember dealing with Lehmans before they went kablammo.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
            Table quiz last night.

We are all from Galway and dont know the store. We all agree just to pick a random number as nobody has a clue. One team mate spouts out 13 quickly and the others agree.

Then I try to explain why the number shouldnt be totally random and that we should not move too far away from the number one. I said something like \"The further you move away from one the higher the probability that the checkout does not exist\".

How many places even have 13 checkouts?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
              Tesco up here has about 16, and ASDA would have more than 20

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                Got a letter from Greyhound this morning, never have I seen a communication that screams 'help, we is el busto!!' like this.

What did it say?

Greyhound took over the collection of our bins 6 months ago and their service is completely pants.
                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Is it not a cash flow/logistics incentive,

ie. buy early, they can plan for x number of stewards etc?

Really hoping an organisation such as the FAI doesn't need to take into account cash flow problems obv.
                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Question for the BBV.

If you are buying tickets for an event for 4 people, one of whom is a pensioner, and there is a pensioner discount on the tickets, would you avail of the pensioner discount?
                    You are buying them as a gift and wouldn't ask for payment.

Comment

What did it say?

Greyhound took over the collection of our bins 6 months ago and their service is completely pants.
                      basically 'we need money! Fast!!', offering 'special deals' if you give them €€€ asap

red lights flashing everywhere

Now that I think of it, I paid them €100 in January and not a sign of a bill, statement or anything since then. Bins being lifted every week as normal. No wonder they're in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        The correct answer was 40!!!
                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                          . Finally decided to get round to watching pans labyrinth. I'm tired now and want to go to bed but I'm glued to it. Ffs why didn't ye tell me about this ages ago

Brill so far.
                          You watched a film with subtitles
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

basically 'we need money! Fast!!', offering 'special deals' if you give them €€€ asap

red lights flashing everywhere

Now that I think of it, I paid them €100 in January and not a sign of a bill, statement or anything since then. Bins being lifted every week as normal. No wonder they're in trouble.
                            worth a read

Comment

interesting

I would say the best play is to not give these lads a penny unless they actually cut off collection. I found my online details and checked my account, -€8 is the balance.

Comment

Higgs Boson snubbed by the Nobel lads. Once again it goes to people nobody's ever head of !

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                  Higgs Boson snubbed by the Nobel lads. Once again it goes to people nobody's ever head of !
                                  Sorry I think you may have meant Higgs himself and not the engineers and scientists who got paid to prove it's existence of his predicted particle.
                                  Last edited by V for Vendetta; 09-10-12, 10:10.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I wonder what the author of "Steak" thinks of this:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Mike Yoder’s herd of dairy cattle are living the sweet life. With corn feed scarcer and costlier than ever, Yoder increasingly is looking…

Comment

I think thats in part down to logistical issues with assigning the discovery of such a large team to one or two researchers. The nobel prizes can only go to a very small number of researchers if I remember correctly.
                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

interesting

I would say the best play is to not give these lads a penny unless they actually cut off collection. I found my online details and checked my account, -€8 is the balance.
                                        Did they not change it to a set fee now rather than putting money into an account?

Haven't bothered reading all the letters yet but they didn't collect by Green bin last week & put some leaflet on it (which also has to be read!). I must check balance & read stuff today but wont be happy if I give them a couple of hundred & they go busto. Must check alternatives too.
                                        Last edited by Dice75; 09-10-12, 10:14.

Comment

How is intrade so out of whack with everyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                            Sorry I think you may have meant Higgs himself and not the engineers and scientists who got paid to prove it's existence of his predicted particle.
                                            What has getting paid got to do with it? I'm sure he was getting paid when doing the research in the 60's.

Comment

Kev are you just one of these numptys who cheer on Irish people at everything no matter how terrible they are or how little chance they have. I see you cheering on the two muppets in the darts thread.

Comment

I need to rip something from the TG4 player trying to do it with Flash player but getting nowhere.
                                                Anyone know how to do it or are willing to do it for me for a suitable reward.

Comment

I think i got the same letter yesterday.

Option 1: Pay them 59.95 per year plus 6.50 per black bin plus 4 per brown, green is free
                                                  Option 2: Monthly fee
                                                  Option 3: 250 for everything

The kicker is the surchage of 33c per kilo on all bins over 25kg. I only put mine out monthly and it weighs about 60/70kg.

I think they are pretty close to going belly up. The keep send offers to reload my account and get €10 credit free.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    I need to rip something from the TG4 player trying to do it with Flash player but getting nowhere.
                                                    Anyone know how to do it or are willing to do it for me for a suitable reward.
                                                    Use firefox and 'flashget' or 'videodownloader' maybe?

Edit: also think there is some trick vlc player can do, but i've never used it myself.
                                                    Last edited by Micknail; 09-10-12, 10:35.
                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

You have to see this halftime performance of The Ohio State University Marching Band on 10/6/12 against Nebraska. The theme was Video games and it included p...
                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

What has getting paid got to do with it? I'm sure he was getting paid when doing the research in the 60's.
                                                        Well I'd imagine he was getting paid to lecture and teach and to do research in the 60's. So overall very little of his compensation at the time was directly related to him postulating the existence of a fundamental particle. And even if it did he wasn't guaranteed any prizes or recognition, similar to most theoretical physicists combing the distant beaches of the known universe for undiscovered knowledge.

The guys hired to do a job at CERN were just workers. Highly intelligent and smart guys absolutely, but workers nonetheless.

Why should they get a Nobel prize for doing their day job? I pay you a very decent salary to prove or disprove that this particle exists. I pay billions for you to assemble and make the equipment and to smash particles and analyse the results.

Finally after my billions of spending, my workers got a result which has profound implications for science. As a result those workers think they are worthy of $1million in prize money, plus all the ancillary benefits of a Nobel prize, whilst other scientists are working in less glamourous fields with much less recognition. Something doesn't sit right with me about that.

I'm not triviliasing the work, or it's importance, but signing up to work on something without a guaranteed results (one way or the other) would be braver and more worthy imo.
                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                          Kev are you just one of these numptys who cheer on Irish people at everything no matter how terrible they are or how little chance they have. I see you cheering on the two muppets in the darts thread.
                                                          He's not called Kev Ireland for nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                            Table quiz last night.

it was 40
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

You're making them out to be akin to blue-collar button pushers. These are all people who have PhDs and years of experience in cosmological and particle physics research. It's not just a matter of Peter commanding from on high what to do and then his minions go and do it. They are designing the experiments, running the simulations and analysing the data. Actually proving something is every bit as important and impressive as postulating it surely? I'd bet that a lot of people involved in that project are academics who are primarily paid to teach as have most Nobel prize winners over the years. Saying 'it's your job' is a poor reason to remove anyone from contention for a prize for scientific excellence imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Edit: also think there is some trick vlc player can do, but i've never used it myself.
                                                                jdownloader do it too.
                                                                God be with the days you could isolate the content via the source code of the site.
                                                                Actually, can you do anything with the developer tools in chrome?
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

On another note, a man is going to space in a balloon and jumping out of it in an hour and a half. Where's his prize?!

Comment

You're making them out to be akin to blue-collar button pushers. These are all people who have PhDs and years of experience in cosmological and particle physics research. It's not just a matter of Peter commanding from on high what to do and then his minions go and do it. They are designing the experiments, running the simulations and analysing the data. Actually proving something is every bit as important and impressive as postulating it surely? I'd bet that a lot of people involved in that project are academics who are primarily paid to teach as have most Nobel prize winners over the years. Saying 'it's your job' is a poor reason to remove anyone from contention for a prize for scientific excellence imo.
                                                                    So why don't very successful hedge fund managers win the Nobel prize for economics every year?

They are designing very sophisticated trading ideas (in some cases not all!!) and being very successful with them. They have PhDs and years of experience in science, economics and even particle physics and they advance our knowledge of markets, game theory, and the interplay of human activity with productivity and many other areas.

Why? Because that's there job.

Instead the Nobel prize in Economics is given to academics making contributions which in some cases are subsequently shown to have profound implications by skilled practioners in the market. I'd draw an analogy with the CERN setup personally.

Anyway, we all know that Higgs Boson and the many involved will all get the Nobel prize at some point but the committee like to be seen to deliberate on these things for a few years. I still won't agree with it then either!

Edit: Just to add I'm very much aware that it takes a lot of skill and talent to design and analyse these experiments. I acknowledged that from the start. I feel that's not in any way relevant. If an idiot stumbles upon something which fundamental alters our perception of the universe he deserves a Nobel prize. I don't believe having a PhD is a criteria the selection committee look for.
                                                                    Last edited by V for Vendetta; 09-10-12, 11:05.

Comment

Basically comes down to TP graduate vs. AP graduate

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                        jdownloader do it too.
                                                                        God be with the days you could isolate the content via the source code of the site.
                                                                        Well I defo could not, but I assume somebody could!
                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                          Whatever about O'Connor, whats wrong with Brendan Dolan? Theres only about 8 televised ranking events in the calendar yet he's been in a semi-final and a final in the last year. Thats hardly 'terrible', 'muppet' or 'little chance'.

Comment

BBV econ heads.

Hello all I decided to start this thread, as I'm looking for an answer to my question, hopefuly somebody can help me.

What do we think of this? At first I didn't like the sound of it, but I'm coming around to the idea.

Subsidised govt crèches, keep parents working , dis-insentivize the "stay at home, paid by the state" type of parents while still providing for the welfare of their children.

Obviously has its flaws, and would have to be worked out properly, but could be a very decent idea in terms of bringing down the cost of childcare too...

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                              jdownloader do it too.
                                                                              Using flashget and the firefox plugin flashgot is getting me nowhere all I get is a tiny .swf file that won't open in anything and is too small to be the video anyway

I'll try jDownloader when I get home, it usually picks up youtube links but its never picked up player links.

Trieds a real Audio downloader as well but it doesn't seem to be able to find the video

Comment

Basically comes down to TP graduate vs. AP graduate

Ah it's something that bothers me about these prizes in general. I mean Einstein was able to write 3 incredible papers in 1905 that changed the world whilst working a totally unrelated day job and for no financial or other recognition (the fact he got a prize for the weakest is irrelevant).

These days everything seems to require so much money and a team of people it doesn't seem pure in some way. Plus once they do what they were well paid to do some go on a bit of a gravy train circuit and don't give back as much as they should in my view.

The theoretical side still requires a bit more flash of inspiration type stuff so I guess my views would seem to be in favour of theoretical work but that isn't the case overall I don't think.

It's a bit like watching professional sport versus genuine amateur stuff for me. There are very few "achievements" in professional sport that get me genuinely excited as most days its mainly guys doing a very skillful job for fantastic pay and only occasionally does the professional sport transcend that whilst amateur stuff is regularly immensely inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                  BBV econ heads.

Hello all I decided to start this thread, as I'm looking for an answer to my question, hopefuly somebody can help me.

What do we think of this? At first I didn't like the sound of it, but I'm coming around to the idea.

Subsidised govt crèches, keep parents working , dis-insentivize the "stay at home, paid by the state" type of parents while still providing for the welfare of their children.

Obviously has its flaws, and would have to be worked out properly, but could be a very decent idea in terms of bringing down the cost of childcare too...
                                                                                  Libertarian idiots in that forum make my blood boil.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                    So why don't very successful hedge fund managers win the Nobel prize for economics every year? ...
                                                                                    Very good points in those two posts that are central to the misunderstanding most people have between science and technology and how they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                      doesnt answer question though....yeah big feking bang and all that but the universe is expanding and stars etc spacing spreading but whats is it expanding into?

If its expanding into 'other' space then where did that come from?

Think this may be a good drunken chat at IPO lol
                                                                                      Because we are, by definition, stuck within the space that makes up our universe and have no way to observe anything outside of it, this ceases to be a question that can be answered scientifically. Trying to conceptualize what is 'beyond' the edge of the universe is just a guessing game because nothing outside the universe has any effect within it.
                                                                                      Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Went to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower - excellent little film.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiend View Post
                                                                                          Because we are, by definition, stuck within the space that makes up our universe and have no way to observe anything outside of it, this ceases to be a question that can be answered scientifically. Trying to conceptualize what is 'beyond' the edge of the universe is just a guessing game because nothing outside the universe has any effect within it.
                                                                                          Dude, what if the universe is.. an atom... in another universe..... dude......

Comment

AVG subscription coming to an end (yeah paid for it)
                                                                                            I also have Microsoft security essentials

Read in 'Which' magazine that MSE is rated as a best buy as AVG is also

So questions I have are;

1. Should I just run MSE?
                                                                                            2. Should I just run AVG?
                                                                                            3. Should I continue to run both?
                                                                                            4. Does running both affect computer?

Comment

Using flashget and the firefox plugin flashgot is getting me nowhere all I get is a tiny .swf file that won't open in anything and is too small to be the video anyway

I'll try jDownloader when I get home, it usually picks up youtube links but its never picked up player links.

Trieds a real Audio downloader as well but it doesn't seem to be able to find the video
                                                                                              try playing the video and leave it buffer a few seconds before trying to grab it with flashget?
                                                                                              Pm me the link and i'll try at home in 15mins for you.
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Anyone playing the fitz 50 DC tonight?
                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Just tested it and Streamtransport seems to work fine.

Just Updated! For the latest YouTube Layout Change(December 23, 2023). 100% Clean and Free YouTube To MP3 converter. No Ad. Full HD(1080p) supported. Download YouTube video & convert it to MP3.

Once ST is downloaded paste the TG4 player link in the bar at the top - http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player/tg4-player.html

After which it will load the webpage in the application. Play the video you want to download and it will detect it and then you have a button with an option to download.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Fiend View Post
                                                                                                    God knows.
                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

God knows.
                                                                                                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                                                      Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                                                        I think i got the same letter yesterday.

Option 1: Pay them 59.95 per year plus 6.50 per black bin plus 4 per brown, green is free
                                                                                                        Option 2: Monthly fee
                                                                                                        Option 3: 250 for everything

The kicker is the surchage of 33c per kilo on all bins over 25kg. I only put mine out monthly and it weighs about 60/70kg.

I think they are pretty close to going belly up. The keep send offers to reload my account and get €10 credit free.
                                                                                                        yeah, that's the one. It was the 'pay next year's charge now' bit that was the kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                          BBV econ heads.

realistically, there is close to zero chance that the govt will build a network of creche facilities. Anyone thinking otherwise is in lala land.

but the guy's basic position is correct. The work\stay home dilemna is very real for a lot of people, especially in middle income brackets and particularly where you have 2 or more kids.

my solution would be to just subsidise creche fees by giving a tax credit at the parent's marginal rate (so generally 41%). There's a unspoken benefit to the State as it also hits the black sector of untaxed childminding (big) as it would obv. only apply to licenced creches.

Comment

On another note, a man is going to space in a balloon and jumping out of it in an hour and a half. Where's his prize?!

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/
                                                                                                            On hold ATM, But says earliest launch is 13:30GMT which is 6 mins away.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

3mins now

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Meh, he is still there

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                                                  Meh, he is still there
                                                                                                                  Launch time is extremely weather sensitive.

Comment

2 pm at earliest now.

Comment

Cunts, 2:00 now.

Bet yer man is scared shitless and he is after locking himself in the toilet, They probably have a team outside the door now as we speak trying to coax him out.

Gives me time to get a cup o'tae

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                                                        Just tested it and Streamtransport seems to work fine.

Just Updated! For the latest YouTube Layout Change(December 23, 2023). 100% Clean and Free YouTube To MP3 converter. No Ad. Full HD(1080p) supported. Download YouTube video & convert it to MP3.

Once ST is downloaded paste the TG4 player link in the bar at the top - http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player/tg4-player.html

After which it will load the webpage in the application. Play the video you want to download and it will detect it and then you have a button with an option to download.

Opr
                                                                                                                        Ah thats looking good, its on its way now, tried a few different tools that didn't locate the video but streamtransport found it immediately and is creating a .flv

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                                                          Cunts, 2:00 now.

Bet yer man is scared shitless and he is after locking himself in the toilet, They probably have a team outside the door now as we speak trying to coax him out.

Gives me time to get a cup o'tae
                                                                                                                          Stream down?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X