This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
    You'll probably learn more then photocopying and shuffling paper in Northern Trust. You have no decision to make until you get an offer surely??

You need to give us a bit more info Tipp, unless I've missed it.

What course are you doing? What do you hope to work at afterwards and where do you hope to be living?
    Very long term (10 years time) living i want to be based around Tipp/Cork/Waterford. Im not awfully bothered where im put for the work placement once it's in Ireland. I wouldnt mind moving out of the country for a few years.

Course is Economics & finance.

What do i hope to do ? God knows probably like to get Accounting exams and qualify in that. It's pretty hard to say what you want to do when i dont have a great idea about what the choices are. I guess this is where work experience comes in. I did have a discussion with Hitch a while back alright about fund accounting.

All i know is i dont want to be anywhere near a commercial bank. That was sorted a few months ago when i went in for small overdraft of €100 and i was dealing with whoever for near an hour to get it sorted. Could not imagine how horrible that would be everyday.

What would an Accountant somewhere like there hope to earn after 10 years in the company? Any idea?

Oh ya no not really my decision once offered the job you cant turn it down. Well you can but that's the end of the college helping you with getting a job.
    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
      Yeah I was following the thread and fair play 35lb is a massive amount of weight to have off! Dont agree with the diet but what about it.

Re the insulin; Every time you eat your body releases insulin. The amount of insulin released depends on the amount of sugar (glucose) that you take in. Pasta and breads are highly processed so although they may be listed under carbs they break down to glucose quickly. Anyway insulin causes the cells to store energy so you in essence stop "losing weight" and start storing it while this process is going on.

the more insulin that you have the longer time you spend not losing weight per say. Thats why people who constantly snack on chocolate and other foods that push up their insulin find it hard to lose weight because their body is constantly in a state of storage.

The hormone that acts opposite to insulin is glucagon and essentially does the opposite i.e. breaks down fats and in extreme cases proteins to make energy. If you are trying to lose weight you need to keep your glucagon high. The only problem is that because its a hormone that works with insulin as one rises the other will fall. The bases of any good diet should be controlling insulin as much as possible so your glucagon can stay high and keep you in the burnng state
      Really is an excellent post.

Just to add:

Glucose in large quantities is toxic in the bloodstream. When we ingest large amounts through lots of carbs the body releases insulin to get it out as fast as possible.

The insulin pushes it into cells where it is stored as fat.

The body has now removed a lot of glucose from the bloodstream but need some for ongoing energy needs and so asks you to ingest some more, and sugary snacks are quickest way but most have waaaaaay too much and so the body releases lots of insulin and insulin stores it as fat and then it removes too much and needs more.....

and the cycle continues.

Eventually your body down regulates the insulin receptors over time and it doesnt remove as much glucose... this is how Diabetes develops.

but sure... thats just science.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Wife's family won last nights new daily million lotto , just 1 winner. It was her mum and her Mum's 12 brothers and sisters so 76k each.

She said that the bingo advice from CHD was the difference....
        Last edited by EnzoScifo; 28-09-12, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
          Yeah I was following the thread and fair play 35lb is a massive amount of weight to have off! Dont agree with the diet but what about it.

Re the insulin; Every time you eat your body releases insulin. The amount of insulin released depends on the amount of sugar (glucose) that you take in. Pasta and breads are highly processed so although they may be listed under carbs they break down to glucose quickly. Anyway insulin causes the cells to store energy so you in essence stop "losing weight" and start storing it while this process is going on.

the more insulin that you have the longer time you spend not losing weight per say. Thats why people who constantly snack on chocolate and other foods that push up their insulin find it hard to lose weight because their body is constantly in a state of storage.

The hormone that acts opposite to insulin is glucagon and essentially does the opposite i.e. breaks down fats and in extreme cases proteins to make energy. If you are trying to lose weight you need to keep your glucagon high. The only problem is that because its a hormone that works with insulin as one rises the other will fall. The bases of any good diet should be controlling insulin as much as possible so your glucagon can stay high and keep you in the burnng state
          Thanks for that.

You have your uses sometimes

Had to google the bolded bit. And to save others..

Glucagon, a peptide hormone secreted by the pancreas, raises blood glucose levels. Its effect is opposite that of insulin, which lowers blood glucose levels.[1] The pancreas releases glucagon when blood sugar (glucose) levels fall too low. Glucagon causes the liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose, which is released into the bloodstream. High blood glucose levels stimulate the release of insulin. Insulin allows glucose to be taken up and used by insulin-dependent tissues. Thus, glucagon and insulin are part of a feedback system that keeps blood glucose levels at a stable level. Glucagon belongs to a family of several other related hormones.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
            Really is an excellent post.

Just to add:

Glucose in large quantities is toxic in the bloodstream. When we ingest large amounts through lots of carbs the body releases insulin to get it out as fast as possible.

The insulin pushes it into cells where it is stored as fat.

The body has now removed a lot of glucose from the bloodstream but need some for ongoing energy needs and so asks you to ingest some more, and sugary snacks are quickest way but most have waaaaaay too much and so the body releases lots of insulin and insulin stores it as fat and then it removes too much and needs more.....

and the cycle continues.

Eventually your body down regulates the insulin receptors over time and it doesnt remove as much glucose... this is how Diabetes develops.

but sure... thats just science.
            But what about diabetes in newborns? where the parents didn't have it?

Comment

Originally posted by EnzoScifo View Post
              Wife's family won last nights new daily million lotto , just 1 winner. It was her mum and her 12 brothers and sisters so 76k each.

Please go and tell these fucking numpties

Was looking at this new national lottery game daily million on the national lottery website and from what i gather it seems that the draw takes place via…

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                No idea! I've not ever heard of or looked into it. Wouldnt have any reason to!

I'm not sure what your point is though?
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

State Street is meant to be a horrific place to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                    Anyway on a different note. I have been smoking 25 years approx having never tried once to give them up! I have just washed the ashtray and put it away and am now on the Electronic fag! good luck me and god help everyone around me

If I can do this anybody deffo can as I love my smoke ( 40 a day) Not going to say I can as I honestly dont know! HAve a party on sat night so it will be interesting!

on my one since febuary sat nav....great invention if used right with the proper oil..was smoking 40 major a day...

Comment

No idea! I've not ever heard of or looked into it. Wouldnt have any reason to!

I'm not sure what your point is though?
                      The last sentence, about how it is. Caused. Just know someone who had it since she born and wondered...

Comment

Removing calories is fine. I dont disagree.

But you did and and you were presumptious and patronising about it.

As for the rest I'm not arguing with your dietry advice at all I mostly agree with it but I am quite suspicous of some of it and your zealatory tone only compounds that suspicion.
                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 28-09-12, 15:53.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          But you did and and you were presumptious and patronising about it.
                          Where did I disagree? In fact, try and find a post of mine where I say removing calories for weight loss is not the way forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                            Can you give more info?

Comment

Wife's family won last nights new daily million lotto , just 1 winner. It was her mum and her Mum's 12 brothers and sisters so 76k each.

71.5k each after I get my cut you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                One of the lads i played football with worked there as a fund accountant and said it was horrificly boring and looked like there would be no career progression. He had a master in economics from UCC aswell. He left it last year to become a primary teacher the only thing about him is he is rather lazy at the best of times and i was told by another friend in the finance world to take what he says about the job with a pinch of salt.
                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                    Can you give more info?
                                    Not a whole lot tbh, just going by what I heard from two people that work there. Just a grim, boring, regimented place.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                      ohh proper run bad there. it was a surprise fourth option of the Ashling Hotel in Parkgate Street. Some of the choice reviews on tripadvisor suggest it is best epitomized by adjectives such as 'run down' and 'shabby', with popular activities being 'staring out at a wall'.
                                      Cant beat hotel gambling ! Was pretty sure i had managed to get a hotel for 1 night 2 minutes walk from where i was. Turned out to be 20 minutes away on the tram.
                                      Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

What a choke job by the Northern Irish Brits

Comment

they have type 1 diabetes. Its an autoimmune condition where shortly after birth the body basically destroys its own insulins cells so you can't create any insulin. If you arent treated with regular insulin injections you can starve to death as crazy as it sounds because although you may be eating plenty the cells wont take up the food (see post above they cant store it without insulin)

Steve is talking about type 2 diabetis which is becoming more and more common. In a nutshell your body gets sick of making insulin so the receptors that recieve it simply shut off ( i had a good discussion with a lecturer the other day about this - I was maintaining its the body trying to save itself but he wasnt let that fly ) Anyway when the receptors shut off or to be more specific become less sensitive to insulin sugar remains in the blood stream which leads to a number of associated health problems such as chronic kidney failure

Comment

Just did a bit of googling and thought this was excellent:

The two basic hormones we need to keep in check are insulin and glucagon. Both are released by the pancreas in response to different foods. Eating carbohydrates raises blood sugar and stimulates the release of insulin. Insulin lowers the blood sugar by telling the body to store glucose for future use. The body creates glycogen, strings of glucose molecules, and stores it in the muscles and liver.

Only the glycogen stored in the liver is available to return to circulation and keep adequate supplies of glucose going to the brain. The liver's total capacity for storage is rather limited and is depleted within 10-12 hours. So the liver's glycogen reserves must be continually replenished by eating carbohydrates. [Bee's note: However 58% of protein and 10% of good fats also are made into glycogen by the body, so you do not need to replenish it by eating carbs.]

The problem comes when excess carbohydrates are consumed. Once the liver and muscles have stored as much glycogen as possible (about the amount of three candy bars), the body creates another storage form, fat. Insulin tells your body not only to store new fat, but also not to release any previously stored fat. Insulin is the storage hormone.

Glucagon [Note: this is different than Glycogen above], on the other hand, has the opposite effect to insulin. It tells the body to increase the blood sugar. It is the mobilization hormone.

Protein stimulates the release of glucagon, which stimulates the liver to release stored carbohydrates from its glycogen stores and from fat. Glucagon also inhibits the release of insulin. By controlling your intake of protein and spreading it throughout the day, you can constantly produce adequate amounts of glucagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                              People fix themselves when they are ready to fix themselves and whatever crutch they were leaning on at the time gets the credit
                                              I heartily endorse this opinion.

Also, I investigated the hula hooping young lady further to see if she were worthy of ascending to the pantheon of BBV greats alongside blue dress girl, ballet girl, FAS girl, and blonde-dancing-in-car-with-great-tits girl. Regrettably, she is not. But we thank her for her interest in the position and wish her every success in the future.

edit:
                                              Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                              ohh proper run bad there. it was a surprise fourth option of the Ashling Hotel in Parkgate Street. Some of the choice reviews on tripadvisor suggest it is best epitomized by adjectives such as 'run down' and 'shabby', with popular activities being 'staring out at a wall'.
                                              You have just booked a hotel for a romantic stay that is a known hooker hotel.
                                              Last edited by hotspur; 28-09-12, 16:17.

Comment

How come I can eat as much or as little as I want and I have two cans of soft drink and a bar of chocolate every day and I never stray more than a pound from 190 no matter what?

Comment

Obama now into 1/7 with PP, shipship.

Comment

Europe falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                      How come I can eat as much or as little as I want and I have two cans of soft drink and a bar of chocolate every day and I never stray more than a pound from 190 no matter what?

You can't.
                                                      Last edited by Teddie; 28-09-12, 16:17.

Comment

Because as "much as you want" is only warming up for someone else seriously though if you cant put on weight its simply because you arent eating enough although its generally accepted putting it on is harder than getting it off. Eating all the time can be a chore!

Comment

Worms?

Comment

scales must be broke so!

I'd say I get through about 3,000 cals a day on average and don't do anything other than cycling 5km to and from work at a leisurely pace.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                              Please go and tell these fucking numpties

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056755766
                                                              Today was the 15th draw in Daily Millions and the main prize was only won on the first night! I'm no mathematician but it doesn't require an expert in probability to realise that doesn't add up.
                                                              lolz
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

scales must be broke so!

It's not the scales that are broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                  It's not the scales that are broken.
                                                                  Try say less in more words.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                    Try say less in more words.

That won't help my post count.

Comment

Originally posted by Electra Blue View Post
                                                                      WP! Now they can afford to sponsor 7600 horses each in my Race Night...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                        What a choke job by the Northern Irish Brits
                                                                        Heroic stuff by the Irish lads on the last

Comment

Every Mumford and Sons song

Comment

BBV takeover complete you may now discuss the golf that we have pushed out the armchair politics and other sports nobody cares about

Comment

Fuck if I wanted to read about diets, I would have went to facebook, to listen to fat girls

Comment

What the fuck is Strewel on about with his zealotry shite?

Comment

No Poults in the evening is insane
                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    Day 2 of Android .25c sale
                                                                                    Fifa 12 for .25c
                                                                                    yes please
                                                                                    Wow it's shit. Glad I didn't pay a fiver for it!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                      I heartily endorse this opinion.

Also, I investigated the hula hooping young lady further to see if she were worthy of ascending to the pantheon of BBV greats alongside blue dress girl, ballet girl, FAS girl, and blonde-dancing-in-car-with-great-tits girl. Regrettably, she is not. But we thank her for her interest in the position and wish her every success in the future.

edit:

FAS girl?. Can anyone oblige?.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

His wife being Russian is just the icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                          No Poults in the evening is insane
                                                                                          Poulter is the best Ryder cup player of all time

Comment

Iphone 4 that wont ring out aloud worth €150? GFs sister trading it in for the iphone 5 tomorrow for €140. Not sure if its worth taking a chance on thinks its 64gb.
                                                                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                              FAS girl?. Can anyone oblige?.
                                                                                              Before she became the ubiquitous go to Irish model to prance around in her underwear Georgia Salpa was the poster girl for a FAS campaign:

SPOILER

I think it had amusing dissenters on her attractiveness. And I think it may have been on this topic that one of our younger posters who was a total prat (can't recall his name, don't think he is around anymore) declared that it was quality over quantity that mattered with him and a shag every year or so was all he needed.

Comment

any messages for folk in the 6max? about to areive in the regency
                                                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                  any messages for folk in the 6max? about to areive in the regency
                                                                                                  Tell everyone I said hi.

Comment

Some crack in this house this eve, not only am I dieting and off the fags. I am also full of PMT. Chanel just left the building
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

You probably have the 'skinny gene' that predisposes you to not put on weight as easy as others. Your organs are likely surrounded in fat (Visceral fat).

Comment

some numbers for day 1b 457
                                                                                                        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

American Commentator earlier
                                                                                                          The last time Tiger drove this badly he hit a fire hydrant outside his house
                                                                                                          Unreal!

Comment

Unprecedented event here at the 6 Max pics to follow...
                                                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                              American Commentator earlier

Unreal!
                                                                                                              classic BBV

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                                What the fuck is Strewel on about with his zealotry shite?
                                                                                                                Look its simple. Theresa, because of his zealous belief that low fat anything is automatically wrong was, I felt, mocking and rude to Mrs FD over something that she said that he now agrees was perfectly reasonable.

That is all I was giving out about, for the most part I agree with what he is saying.

And I was also right earlier about cooking with Extra Virgin Olive oil being fine as long as you don't burn it.

As regards on my own position these diets it is really only a matter of how much more I'd rather be dead than living for an extra few years on a diet such as Tom eat yesterday. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                                                  You probably have the 'skinny gene' that predisposes you to not put on weight as easy as others. Your organs are likely surrounded in fat (Visceral fat).
                                                                                                                  Wasn't sure if that was a real thing or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                    Look its simple. Theresa, because of his zealous belief that low fat anything is automatically wrong was, I felt, mocking and rude to Mrs FD over something that she said that he now agrees was perfectly reasonable.

That is all I was giving out about, for the most part I agree with what he is saying.

And I was also right earlier about cooking with Extra Virgin Olive oil being fine as long as you don't burn it.

As regards on my own position these diets it is really only a matter of how much more I'd rather be dead than living for an extra few years on a diet such as Tom eat yesterday. Yuck.
                                                                                                                    No No, hold on now. I've always said that removing calories was the way to do it. I still whole heartedly disagree that eating specially designed low fat food is the way forward though.

Like I asked you before, please find a post, here or in the health and fitness thread where I dont say this?

Please dont put words in my mouth especially when they are there in front of you to read in black and white.

Comment

I could never go back to eating crap all the time. I feel I was educated as to where I was going wrong. Instead of using full fat cream in my carbonnara I use fat free yogurt etc. That is why they say it is a lifestyle change as you are more aware of these sort of things.
                                                                                                                      To which you replied

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
                                                                                                                      Maybe you meant something else that wasn't dismissive or patronising

I'm done with this. I'm right and you are behaving like an unpleasant little gimp

Comment

Too calrify on the whole "I eat loads but never put on weight" line I'd say the chances of eating lots are unlikely. Most people seem to think they eat lots but they actually don't.

Comment

I dont have a clue how that equates to disagreeing with removing calories. I actually even explained the argh post. I mean, don't let that get in the way of you talking nonsense though.

Back to your rambling old man. You're making even less sense these days.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X