This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
    And the overall scores are 8 series each. Ireland lead 18 test matches to 16 and total points Ireland 1993 Australia 1941
    Yes but nearly everything in the compromise rules is in favour of Ireland. Round ball, rectangular pitch, scoring system. The aussies (AFAIR) tended to crush us in the 4th quarter traditionally which suggests that their superior fitness was the only edge they had. The quarter length was reduced from 20 to 18 mins I think after the time the aussies went medieval on our asses in croke park and shouts of "ah he-ure, leave it ouuuh" were heard up and down the hogan and cusack stands while parents shielded their childrens eyes from the barbarism.

Not that any of that is either here nor there tbh. Just thought it was funny that in the argument about the fitness of gaa player v pro athlete ,the article quoted singled out the 3 irish players who were in a pro set-up for controlling the game. And I know u weren't arguing that point with hectorjelly. don't know why i'm writing any of this at all tbh....*gets coat*

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
      Really? I was sure it was. I love making shit up...It should be a rule though!
      Even if it is a rule bringing it into other sports wouldn't do anything unless disobeying it carried a penalty that would really hurt teams. If I foul a guy in the half back line and turn around to the ref and give out when I'm not the captain if the punishment is bringing the free up 14 yards it's not going to persuade me not to do it the next time in the slightest.

Comment

OMG Eagles

Comment

Originally posted by dinjo99 View Post
          What a day! Most of you here won't understand or agree with me but the joy and euphoria I felt today as a Donegal man was only matched once before.... in 1992.

Winning the Irish Open (I know how unlikely that is!!) or Ireland winning a world cup (equally unlikely) just couldn't give me that feeling of pure elation.

Ps. Some of you know I had a decent bet on Donegal before the quarter final and I asked here about whether or not I should lay some of it off.

I didn't.
          was thinking about this as well to day well done sir
          Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Self destruction

Comment

Of course. I'm not a real fan of Gaelic Games though I enjoy watching the big ones in the summer, but there's no doubt they're marred by indiscipline that really detracts from the spectacle.
              Something like >x fouls per half and each subsequent one yields a 45 or >x personal fouls and you're in the bin for 10 mins would clean it up very quickly.

Comment

Season 3 nearly upon us.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                  Was thinking of setting up a thread for lurkers , I am that bored. must be loads of them floating about that are too nervous to post. what ye think yay or nae??
                  yay

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    I don't think I can remember the last time an RTE pundit said the standard of play in a game was good.
                    As I was reading this the panel on the Sunday Game were swooning over the Dublin minor team. They were all but drooling over them.
                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                      I have no doubt the cynical stuff will be clamped down on to a huge degree by rule changes in the span of the current presidency, very optimistic about it.
                      I really hope you are right but I don't share your optimism.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                        Self destruction
                        Standard first half for Eagles only to come back and win by one obv.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                          yay
                          I shall sleep on it as at the moment I have 2 glasses of champers and one JD and ginger in me. Talking of JD, went to ASDA to do some shopping on the way home today and I spot cans of JD and coke and JD and ginger on the shelf advertised at 1 pound . yehaw thanks very much, Ill be having them! think they are around 2.80 here
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                            Vicks been broken in two nearly. Missing a few from the O line is not great, Peters is huge loss for the season at left tackle as seems to be where most of the shots are coming from. Obv we should have kept Kolb

Will Atlanta shut down in 2nd half with another td or so? Ryan is beginning to worry me in FF

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                              11/1
                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                I really hope you are right but I don't share your optimism.
                                Liam O'Neill, despite the head on him, is super progressive - you probably already know about the review committee they have working at the moment (http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-video...aunch-website/).

I really think the desire is there at the top level now more than ever before to sort out the stuff Zuutroy is talking about that has marred the game in recent years. The fix is so simple I can't see it not getting sorted tbh, the only way it wouldn't is if that desire to fix it wasn't there.

Comment

Jeez Freddie Ljungberg giving one word answers to every question on MOtD2, makes for awkward tv!
                                  Profit before people.

Comment

As someone who only watches a few gaelic football matches a year the thing I find most frustrating is the huge grey area of what is a foul. I can watch hurling and have a fair idea if the ref made a bad call but football I often don't know if the guy overcarried/was he fouled/did both happen so he was let overcarry to compensate for not getting a free. Did that guy pick the ball of the ground? Someone else just picked it up the same a minute ago and it was a free. etc etc. Keane/Kayroo do ye know whats going on in terms of fouls watching a game or are ye, as they say, seeing what kind of a ref is it and what his interpretation of the rules are and then adjusting your own interpretation based on that. Is tinkering with it with team fouls, punishing mouthing to the ref etc going to do much or do the actual rules as they are now need to be made a lot clearer before anything else is done? (Maybe they already are clear to people who watch a lot more gaa than me)

Comment

Vicks been broken in two nearly. Missing a few from the O line is not great, Peters is huge loss for the season at left tackle as seems to be where most of the shots are coming from. Obv we should have kept Kolb

Will Atlanta shut down in 2nd half with another td or so? Ryan is beginning to worry me in FF
                                      Nope. We can't run the ball so we'll move through Ryan or not at all.

I'd expect SD to come back into it. They've been unlucky so far.

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                      11/1
                                      I'd want a lot more than that!

Comment

Originally posted by BobSloane View Post
                                        As someone who only watches a few gaelic football matches a year the thing I find most frustrating is the huge grey area of what is a foul. I can watch hurling and have a fair idea if the ref made a bad call but football I often don't know if the guy overcarried/was he fouled/did both happen so he was let overcarry to compensate for not getting a free. Did that guy pick the ball of the ground? Someone else just picked it up the same a minute ago and it was a free. etc etc. Keane/Kayroo do ye know whats going on in terms of fouls watching a game or are ye, as they say, seeing what kind of a ref is it and what his interpretation of the rules are and then adjusting your own interpretation based on that. Is tinkering with it with team fouls, punishing mouthing to the ref etc going to do much or do the actual rules as they are now need to be made a lot clearer before anything else is done? (Maybe they already are clear to people who watch a lot more gaa than me)
                                        A foul is almost an intuitive thing for me when I'm watching a game tbh. I can see why people might think it makes sense to have a black and white definition of how much you can or can't touch the opposition or whatever, but I think looking at the example of soccer it's the wrong way to go where the slightest touch of player before ball in a tackle is defined as a foul regardless of the fact that the contact might not have caused any inconvenience to the player on the ball at all.

I think most people watching football as real neutrals will be able to agree on what is and isn't a foul in most cases just based on that sort of intuition or experience of having seen a lot of games.

I know Kayroo is into the idea of defining the tackle in a more concrete way but I'm not really convinced it would be a positive unless that definition was very well thought out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                          I never said they were more guilty than other counties. I said they were better at it. I didn't see the Kerry game so I can't comment on that but even if I had I would defer to you on it as I know you were there and therefore better placed to judge.

I have to reiterate this: I literally NEVER said they were more guilty than any other county. I said they were better at it and therefore no angels. In fact my original comment was in response to someone saying Mayo were dirty today with which I agree but was just putting it in context. This isn't a new opinion for me either, I mention it in my last LiveGaelic column where I ultimately praise Donegal.

As for McGee I couldn't agree more.
                                          O rly?

Originally posted by Kayroo;
                                          Donegal are the most cynical team in Gaelic Football. They take full advantage of the fact that GAA is actually under officiated at this level. They are very clever about it but they drag, kick, block and punch off the ball more than any team I've seen over the last two years. Seeing them live where you can watch the off the ball action is a real eye opener.

That said they're excellent at it and have the best full forward in the game but let's be realistic here: Dongeal are no angels.

Comment

@keane
                                            do you think the picking the ball off the ground rule should just be scrapped? Doesn't seem to add much to the game to me and constantly leads to inconsistencies and teams feeling hard done by because maybe a "off the ground" free(or non free) lead to a crucial point or whatever

Comment

@keane
                                              do you think the picking the ball off the ground rule should just be scrapped? Doesn't seem to add much to the game to me and constantly leads to inconsistencies and teams feeling hard done by because maybe a "off the ground" free(or non free) lead to a crucial point or whatever
                                              god no, taking skill elements out of the game should be avoided. I think this detracts from the womens game whenever I see it

Comment

Originally posted by Bozzer View Post
                                                O rly?
                                                Poorly put by me initially but fair cop.

Comment

god no, taking skill elements out of the game should be avoided. I think this detracts from the womens game whenever I see it
                                                  But there wouldn't be a rule that you couldn't use this skill if you wanted. Sometimes its an advantage to put your boot under the ball. Sometimes its no advantage and actually causes players to pick up the ball more slowly. Either way, it's enforced very inconsistently

edit lol bozzer. redknappesque literally obv kayroo
                                                  Last edited by BobSloane; 23-09-12, 22:22.

Comment

Kayroo getting owned doesn't happen very often

Comment

@keane
                                                      I like the skill tbh and wouldn't like to see it taken out of the rules but agree that it's poorly reffed at times due to differing views on what constitutes a bouncing ball. Possibly relaxing the rule where scooping up a ball rolling towards you was ok would be a good move because it would lessen the was it or wasn't it bouncing thing and also putting your boot under a ball rolling quickly towards you can look downright awkward in a lot of cases.

Comment

But there wouldn't be a rule that you couldn't use this skill if you wanted. Sometimes its an advantage to put your boot under the ball. Sometimes its no advantage and actually causes players to pick up the ball more slowly. Either way, it's enforced very inconsistently

edit lol bozzer. redknappesque literally obv kayroo
                                                        It really isnt a big issue at all in the game, not sure why you think it is. If they tried to sort out 'tackles' off the ball it'd be great but can't see them changing anything that takes away from the manliness of the game as a lot of them see it

Comment

Just realized SKYgo has redzone, sweet

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                            Kayroo getting owned doesn't happen very often
                                                            What's seldom is wonderful. 2 recent examples: Bozzer posting and me getting owned. Well played sir.

Comment

It really isnt a big issue at all in the game, not sure why you think it is.
                                                              I never said it was. Just seems to me the game would be better without it as a rule - it can still be a skill in the game. If you watch Ireland v Australia matches(where its not compulsory) sometimes the players use this skill and sometimes they don't. They tend to use it more where its actually useful. I think refereeing in gaa matches is very inconsistent and this would eliminate one area where the decisions tend to be all over the place - and in fairness I think it must be quite a difficult rule to officiate from any kind of distance / bad angle to the player picking up the ball.
                                                              Anyway i've said my piece on the cons of the off the ground rule...off to bed for me

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                Jeez Freddie Ljungberg giving one word answers to every question on MOtD2, makes for awkward tv!
                                                                haha, just said shit now, talk about a nightmare debut!

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                                                                  haha, just said shit now, talk about a nightmare debut!
                                                                  Don't think he cares, he's a cool guy if not a tad dim!
                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

What's seldom is wonderful. 2 recent examples: Bozzer posting and me getting owned. Well played sir.
                                                                    I'm just winding you up really, mostly skipped over everything

Comment

see Killing Me Softly yet? Opinion if so?

Comment

Ah I deserve it. I can't take myself seriously and not be able to admit when I'm just plain wrong or have been obvious in contradicting myself. I don't hold out hope on others doing it but if I can't do it myself then I'd just be a complete hypocrite.

Comment

Stumbled across this FunnyJunk Sues The Oatmeal, The Oatmeal Humiliates Them On the Internet

It's a little long but a fun read, it was a sub story from this article if anybody else is interested, basically they were trying to sue him for $20,000 but his response was to make 20k from his fans give half to the National Wildlife Federation and half to the American Cancer Society, he ended up making $220,000

If you read the article above article without clicking into the hyperlinks then click into this link for the LOLs

Comment

Poorly put by me initially but fair cop.
                                                                            I was gonna let it slide but felt I owed it to all the poor bastards you've ripped to shreds over the years.

Comment

I was gonna let it slide but felt I owed it to all the poor bastards you've ripped to shreds over the years.
                                                                              Ha, cheers. It was a clean hit to be fair.

Comment

see Killing Me Softly yet? Opinion if so?
                                                                                It's a good song.

As for Killing Them Softly haven't gotten to see it yet, only came out on Friday so hope to get to it sometime this week. Like 5 movies out at the moment I wanna catch, good time for movies.

Ah I deserve it. I can't take myself seriously and not be able to admit when I'm just plain wrong or have been obvious in contradicting myself. I don't hold out hope on others doing it but if I can't do it myself then I'd just be a complete hypocrite.
                                                                                Basically what Bozzer said, it's all good boss though

Comment

Does anyone think the clock should be taken away from the ref in GAA, It would be interesting to see how long the ball is actully in play, from the time the ref gives a free to the time is taken can be up to 2mins somtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                                                                                    Does anyone think the clock should be taken away from the ref in GAA, It would be interesting to see how long the ball is actully in play, from the time the ref gives a free to the time is taken can be up to 2mins somtime.
                                                                                    Had Pat Flanagan as a lecturer in college (fitness coach with Kerry for a good few years) and he said that in one of the All Ireland finals a few years ago the ball was only in play for around 40 minutes.
                                                                                    Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

It's what people have taken it to mean, but Collins-Webster are only officially changing it for this year's edition.
                                                                                      What are Collins-Webster changing it to, from what?
                                                                                      I wasn't talking about what its taken to mean generally, I was talking about what the dictionary actually says? I don't have a dictionary here, but last time I check, Collins and Merriam Webster online I think, both had the second definition already.

Comment

When you get a minute Neilus, tell us what it's like. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                          When you get a minute Neilus, tell us what it's like. Cheers.
                                                                                          Was chatting with 72over at the time.

SPOILER

Dealt to danceofddead [Kh Ks]
                                                                                          T3G3S: folds
                                                                                          Soccermom96: raises 600 to 1100
                                                                                          BriDge2PaiN: folds
                                                                                          armenioz: folds
                                                                                          CuAt69UsdSng: folds
                                                                                          danceofddead: calls 1100
                                                                                          kriga: raises 1650 to 2750

nelius:
                                                                                          slowplayed kk here in 5k

David: sicklness gl

SPOILER

Ti0373: folds
                                                                                          InsomniaRU: folds
                                                                                          Soccermom96: raises 1835 to 4585
                                                                                          danceofddead: raises 7915 to 12500
                                                                                          kriga: raises 1134 to 13634 and is all-in
                                                                                          Soccermom96: raises 27496 to 41130 and is all-in

nelius: lol this is sick

SPOILER

danceofddead: calls 28630
                                                                                          *** FLOP *** [Jh Qc 4s]
                                                                                          *** TURN *** [Jh Qc 4s] [Tc]
                                                                                          *** RIVER *** [Jh Qc 4s Tc] [9c]
                                                                                          *** SHOW DOWN ***
                                                                                          Soccermom96: shows [Ah Ac] (a pair of Aces)
                                                                                          danceofddead: shows [Kh Ks] (a straight, Nine to King)
                                                                                          danceofddead collected 54992 from side pot
                                                                                          kriga: shows [Qd Qs] (three of a kind, Queens)

David: lol
                                                                                          wow

SPOILER
                                                                                          nelius: booom

David: holy fuck

"Don't overcomplicate a straight forward game with mathematical bullshit and dicussing different lines with your geeky friends" Chris Olaafson

Comment

MBN
                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Lol, Dutch 15 year old's innocent Birthday party invite via Facebook goes viral and attracts 3,000 to her town.

“Beware, news of this party spread from person to person like wildfire across the internet,” said Rob Bats, mayor of Haren, a normally quiet town with a population of about 18,000. “In the end at least 3,000 people arrived. An innocent invitation on Facebook led to rioting, destruction, arson and serious injuries in the middle of our town. It attracted scum who ran amok. They were well prepared, very violent and arrived looking for trouble.”
                                                                                              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

zzzzzzzzzzzzz....near the bubble too

PokerStars Hand #86639282872: Tournament #2012090065, $5000+$200 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XX (1250/2500) - 2012/09/24 7:03:36 WET [2012/09/24 2:03:36 ET]
                                                                                                Table '2012090065 134' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
                                                                                                Seat 1: The Lag rat (308616 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 2: Se7enTr3y (121898 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 3: FinalFence (59772 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 4: BensBenz (83442 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 5: ZOUZOUNI1998 (58814 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 6: ekziter (122007 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 7: patriot424 (48881 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 8: garompon (94216 in chips)
                                                                                                Seat 9: KipsterDK (72073 in chips)
                                                                                                The Lag rat: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                Se7enTr3y: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                FinalFence: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                BensBenz: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                ZOUZOUNI1998: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                ekziter: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                patriot424: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                garompon: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                KipsterDK: posts the ante 325
                                                                                                KipsterDK: posts small blind 1250
                                                                                                The Lag rat: posts big blind 2500
                                                                                                *** HOLE CARDS ***
                                                                                                Dealt to FinalFence [Kh Ac]
                                                                                                Se7enTr3y: folds
                                                                                                FinalFence: raises 2500 to 5000
                                                                                                BensBenz: folds
                                                                                                ZOUZOUNI1998: folds
                                                                                                ekziter: folds
                                                                                                patriot424: raises 43556 to 48556 and is all-in
                                                                                                garompon: folds
                                                                                                KipsterDK: folds
                                                                                                The Lag rat: folds
                                                                                                FinalFence: calls 43556
                                                                                                *** FLOP *** [8d Ts 9h]
                                                                                                *** TURN *** [8d Ts 9h] [2s]
                                                                                                *** RIVER *** [8d Ts 9h 2s] [7d]
                                                                                                *** SHOW DOWN ***
                                                                                                FinalFence: shows [Kh Ac] (high card Ace)
                                                                                                patriot424: shows [Jh As] (a straight, Seven to Jack)
                                                                                                patriot424 collected 103787 from pot
                                                                                                *** SUMMARY ***
                                                                                                Total pot 103787 | Rake 0
                                                                                                Board [8d Ts 9h 2s 7d]
                                                                                                Seat 1: The Lag rat (big blind) folded before Flop
                                                                                                Seat 2: Se7enTr3y folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 3: FinalFence showed [Kh Ac] and lost with high card Ace
                                                                                                Seat 4: BensBenz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 5: ZOUZOUNI1998 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 6: ekziter folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 7: patriot424 showed [Jh As] and won (103787) with a straight, Seven to Jack
                                                                                                Seat 8: garompon (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
                                                                                                Seat 9: KipsterDK (small blind) folded before Flop
                                                                                                Last edited by HiCloy; 24-09-12, 06:11. Reason: And bust 3 hands later AJ<44

Comment

Zuutroy would dig this. Do you think its feasible for a very fit amateur athlete?

The current human-powered bike speed record is at 82 mph abut this record may be challenged by Graeme Obree, who has broken speed records before, and has a bike he believes could reach 100 mph.

Comment

Why don't people Lease cars?

Is it purely an American thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

I'ld sooner pay the depreciation (I have a number of friends currently driving or have previously driven leases with various companies and the tales range from disappointing to down right dangerous).
                                                                                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Finance and Risk on behalf of the leasing company.

Not worth the companies while. Big Companies and large businesses do over here but not individuals.
                                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                          Finance and Risk on behalf of the leasing company.

Not worth the companies while. Big Companies and large businesses do over here but not individuals.
                                                                                                          Aye, but why not?

It is popular in the States, but never hear anyone even talking about it on this side of the pond. Are the rates silly different or something?

Are leasing costs very different from loan servicing?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                                            Zuutroy would dig this. Do you think its feasible for a very fit amateur athlete?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ke-go-100-mph/
                                                                                                            That would make a great final year project, but the safety monkeys would never allow it!

Comment

wow, with friends like this...

of course Leo is a doctor himself so may be looking to position himself for a promotion. This would not appear to be the way to do it.
                                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Can't wait. (I'm so sad)

One of these days I am either going to quit poker or learn how to play the damn game

Comment

That would make a great final year project, but the safety monkeys would never allow it!
                                                                                                                  he's also neglecting to consider the mechanical wear and tear on the bike that would result at travelling at that speed.
                                                                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Aye, but why not?

It is popular in the States, but never hear anyone even talking about it on this side of the pond. Are the rates silly different or something?

Are leasing costs very different from loan servicing?
                                                                                                                    companies use leases because it has tax benefits.
                                                                                                                    normal joe soaps use HP
                                                                                                                    as do most self employed individuals, again for tax reasons.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                      wow, with friends like this...

of course Leo is a doctor himself so may be looking to position himself for a promotion. This would not appear to be the way to do it.
                                                                                                                      This country is never ever going to have a properly functioning public health service.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                        This country is never ever going to have a properly functioning public health service.
                                                                                                                        probably not, that's why we pay private health insurance!

It's only going to get worse of course.
                                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                                          Hate is a strong word...your superior to everyone..its ok i get it. Sorry i dont fit the mould on what you consider a sports fan
                                                                                                                          when someone watches a sport and considers their rivals losing as more important than them winning. That to me is not a proper fan.
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X