• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
    Loved these Olympics
    Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
    So best Olympics ever? Yay or nay.

Yay for me.
    Yes. London did fantastic. Some brilliant competition. No major scandals. Same time zone as us. Best ever TV coverage.

Comment

What a drive!!

C'mon Rory, finish this in style.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I dunno if it was the combination of it being in London and BBV Olympic fever but I certainly watched way more and enjoyed it way more than ever before. To the best of my memory I literally didn't watch a single moment of it last time around.

Comment

Olympic wankers

Comment

Games over, clear the dancefloor with Take That.

Comment

Fucking great to watch Rory walk up that 18th fairway.

What a comprehensive win.

Comment

oh you fucking hero.

Comment

Get in!
                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

FUCK YEAHHHH

Comment

^^^ Ballet fans obv.

Comment

More endings than Lord of the Rings.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                          Hmm, I think being on our own time zone was a huge aid to enjoyment. I also think that the nature of sport and media coverage of same is that every subsequent games will be a favourite to be bigger, better and more enjoyable.

It's been immense though. I've drank in more of it than any previous games, watched an absolute ton of sport and enjoyed it all.

Also got to attend an Olympic games!!
                          Was about to post the very same thing Lloyd... Really enjoyed the olympics and I really do think that the UK can be very proud... it ran very smoothly - and the crowd participation was brillant...

Hats off -
                          Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Whelp, I wonder if this thread will still be going in four year's time?
                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I'm sure we'll have stormed off to a new site by then....

Comment

Rio is only 4 hours behind at this time of year, no reason why 2016 won't be every bit as watchable.

Websites like the EBU's made it different, being suddenly able to watch any event on demand. Switched on RTE this afternoon and whilst there was absolutely cracking Volleyball, Basketball and Handball finals on at the time, they were sticking with showing repeats of yesterdays Boxing Finals with in depth studio discussion. It's as if just because Katie got a million viewers that therefore Irish people must want to see random Japan v Russia boxing fights. Shoddy logic. Feeding people a 2 week diet of swimming athletics and boxing and then 2 minute slots of all those weird scarey sports that other people play no longer cuts it.

Comment

How are you fuckers watching that when Rory's just bursted his way to a second major?

What a birdie to finish it off.

Comment

goodnewsboards.com will be where the gang will be before long.
                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                      How are you fuckers watching that when Rory's just bursted his way to a second major?

Coz he has an annoying potato head.

Comment

I'm not. Link?

Comment

Fantastic stuff. Huge potential being fulfilled. Incredible to watch.
                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                            Rio is only 4 hours behind at this time of year, no reason why 2016 won't be every bit as watchable.

Websites like the EBU's made it different, being suddenly able to watch any event on demand. Switched on RTE this afternoon and whilst there was absolutely cracking Volleyball, Basketball and Handball finals on at the time, they were sticking with showing repeats of yesterdays Boxing Finals with in depth studio discussion. It's as if just because Katie got a million viewers that therefore Irish people must want to see random Japan v Russia boxing fights. Shoddy logic. Feeding people a 2 week diet of swimming athletics and boxing and then 2 minute slots of all those weird scarey sports that other people play no longer cuts it.
                                            Fucking incredible site. Will it be available in four year's time? Hope so.
                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                              goodnewsboards.com will be where the gang will be before long.
                                              Is thebigheart.com still available?

Comment

I kind of wish Daltrey would just sing the fucking song rather than that shit he does with it.

Comment

that's a proper cup!

Comment

Prerecorded Bill ftw.

Comment

Because golf would bore you to tears watching it despite its many fans here.

Comment

Fair play George as always.

Think the traditional closing remark from the IOC President is always very poignant:

'I declare the 30th Olympiad closed, and call on the youth of the world to assemble in Rio four years hence for the 31st Olympiad'

Has a certain heaviness to it which is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Percy007 View Post
                                                          Is thebigheart.com still available?
                                                          No, it's for sale for $1395, however thebigheart.gr is available.

Comment

Definitely will be - unless one of these Lotto syndicates actually hits the numbers, then it will be a distant memory..... - hopefully there will be lots of sporting moments to whinge/moan/fight/disagree/ but ultimately love....
                                                            Follow me in twitterland

Comment

I would like to be the meat in a Jessie J + Vicky Pendleton sandwich.
                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Nothing more depressing then pondering where you'll be in 4 years time and what interesting/exciting/amazing stuff you've done in that time only to arrive 4 years later knowing you've done fuck all.

Comment

Originally posted by smurph View Post
                                                                  Definitely will be - unless one of these Lotto syndicates actually hits the numbers, then it will be a distant memory..... - hopefully there will be lots of sporting moments to whinge/moan/fight/disagree/ but ultimately love....
                                                                  Getting Kowby-esqe in the Newcastle packages I see!

Comment

Fucking incredible site. Will it be available in four year's time? Hope so.
                                                                    Nope, this was the final year of the IOC and EBU agreement.
                                                                    The New Times Publications SARL is a registered Rwandan private media outlet with hitherto publishes in English.It was established just less than years after the end of the 1994 Rwanda genocide and the return of over a million Rwanda refugees from mainly neighboring countries of Uganda , Burundi , Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC then Zaire ), Tanzania and Kenya.

After 50 years working together, and just when technology meant the EBU was actually becoming useful, they sell the rights to some new kid on the block who'll probably try to charge us for website access.

Comment

See there's 5 left with 4 tickets in Newcastle Sat on Stars with an Irish guy disconnected (Torino2000), anyone know him?

Comment

Think the traditional closing remark from the IOC President is always very poignant:

'I declare the 30th Olympiad closed, and call on the youth of the world to assemble in Rio four years hence for the 31st Olympiad'

If Lloyd was IOC President

'I declare the 30th Olympiad closed, and call on the youth of the world who have a decent chance of a medal to assemble in Rio four years hence for the 31st Olympiad'

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                          Getting Kowby-esqe in the Newcastle packages I see!
                                                                          Didn't want to mention "Ship the UKIPT Package" as I was slagged the last time....

but F*ck it.....

See you there for a wodka or 3
                                                                          Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                            Nothing more depressing then pondering where you'll be in 4 years time and what interesting/exciting/amazing stuff you've done in that time only to arrive 4 years later knowing you've done fuck all.
                                                                            Meh, I wouldn't ever think of it in those terms. People spend too much time comparing themselves and their lives to ideal standards. You could always be worse off, be sicker, be unhappier.

That's about as positive as I get!

Comment

Depressed.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                Nope, this was the final year of the IOC and EBU agreement.
                                                                                The New Times Publications SARL is a registered Rwandan private media outlet with hitherto publishes in English.It was established just less than years after the end of the 1994 Rwanda genocide and the return of over a million Rwanda refugees from mainly neighboring countries of Uganda , Burundi , Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC then Zaire ), Tanzania and Kenya.

After 50 years working together, and just when technology meant the EBU was actually becoming useful, they sell the rights to some new kid on the block who'll probably try to charge us for website access.

Comment

Meh, I wouldn't ever think of it in those terms. People spend too much time comparing themselves and their lives to ideal standards. You could always be worse off, be sicker, be unhappier.

That's about as positive as I get!

We'll at least be celebrating our 4th league title in a row and our 8th Champions league with Rodgers being crowned as the GOAT liverpool manager.

Comment

Dont have Sky Sports so listened to commentary on 5 live re Rory on headphones with one earpiece and London 2012 closing ceremony on free ear

wonderful end all round to a weekend

Comment

Pity Rogge is 1 of the most boring men to ever live.
                                                                                      In saying that comparing him to his predecessor and especially blatter some under-stated boredom is probably a good thing.

Comment

See there's 5 left with 4 tickets in Newcastle Sat on Stars with an Irish guy disconnected (Torino2000), anyone know him?
                                                                                        yep i know him ended up bubbling

Comment

The World Cup is that for me

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
                                                                                            yep i know him ended up bubbling
                                                                                            was watching, sent an email to stars as well cause they were fairly blantantly openly colluding in chat box to fold quickly/not get involved and blind yer man out. I suggest your pal does same, wouldnt be suprised if they gave him seat

Comment

I realise I'm giving an heavy response to a lighthearted comment. This is particularly poignant to me as my dad died the day before the Beijing opening ceremony so I *really* pondered what I'd be up to in 4 years. In what was our last real conversation he was basically asking what would I do with my life as he knew the end was nigh. I had no idea but only gave 1 definite, go to Australia and NZ. Well I took an exceptionally long 2 year detour in Asia but on Tuesday I fulfil my promise and fly to Melbourne so all in all pretty happy with where I am!

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
                                                                                                I realise I'm giving an heavy response to a lighthearted comment. This is particularly poignant to me as my dad died the day before the Beijing opening ceremony so I *really* pondered what I'd be up to in 4 years. In what was our last real conversation he was basically asking what would I do with my life as he knew the end was nigh. I had no idea but only gave 1 definite, go to Australia and NZ. Well I took an exceptionally long 2 year detour in Asia but on Tuesday I fulfil my promise and fly to Melbourne so all in all pretty happy with where I am!
                                                                                                I can't even begin to comprehend how difficult that question must have been in that context.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
                                                                                                  was watching, sent an email to stars as well cause they were fairly blantantly openly colluding in chat box to fold quickly/not get involved and blind yer man out. I suggest your pal does same, wouldnt be suprised if they gave him seat
                                                                                                  thanks fergal letting him know now hopefully they do something about it

Comment

Sid Waddell, who has passed away aged 72, had his own darting lexicon behind the microphone. Here are some of his best quips and turns of phrase after lighting up the darts world.

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
                                                                                                      thanks fergal letting him know now hopefully they do something about it
                                                                                                      Hello MidniteKowby,

Thank you for your mail.

Based on a preliminary review of the situation you reported, a complete review of the players involved has been initiated. This will include checking on relationships, location and play.

Depending on our findings, the players may be contacted and asked to explain relationships and/or play. The entire process generally takes up to 2 weeks, but can be delayed if we don't receive prompt responses.

The poker specialist handling this review will contact you directly when the review is complete or if there are unusual delays. Thank you for your patience while we complete this process.

Regards,

PokerStars Support Team

Comment

So time for the four yearly conversation about the present condition of Irish sport, and what we need to do to improve our results, how funding should be used, what we all need to do to get kids participating blah, blah. I despise this silly charade we repeatedly engage in, and you can guarantee that - in a summer where the football team lost three games in a championship - the retardation will be more intense than ever.

I love sport in all its lovely shapes and sizes. I used to play a couple decently and was involved at committee level at a couple of clubs, etc. The harsh reality is that unless we can afford to do this then we're never going to max out our capabilities or know what they might be. But that isn't to say that we could make changes that prove beneficial and amount to superior value for the Tax Payer when it comes to sport expenditure.

This was as close as we'll get to a home Olympics, and the support enjoyed by Team Ireland is a testament to that. It is also important to note that we achieved our best every Olympic performance in front of that support. Aside from the medal performances, we had two exceptional fourth place finishes and a few personal bests. Overall we can be happy. But there are serious poor points that should be addressed.

In my opinion, investment in sport should be on the basis of two main criterion:

- that the investment offers a reasonable prospect of success on the International stage;
                                                                                                        - that the investment is in a sport that contributes positively on a large scale to public life in Irish society;

Now, people will define these things differently - but for me the former relates to the likes of our boxers, Murphy, Heffernan, etc; and the latter relates to an organisation like the GAA - which enjoys a huge participation rate with minimum outlay up and down the country at all age levels and abilities.

In 2012, Swimming received a cumulative Sports Council grant of €631, 000. Athletics received a cumulative investment of €1, 233, 000. Cycling received a cumulative total of €556, 000.

To date, Alistair Cragg, Deirdre Ryan, Paul Hession, Joanne Cuddihy, Ailis McSweeney, Grainne Murphy and Barry Murphy have received funding to the tune of €747, 442. Does this annoy anyone else? It sure as hell annoys me. Ailis McSweeney has been funded by the tax payer for the last couple of years despite the fact that she couldn't break 12 seconds consistently. Joanne Cuddihy struggles to get inside 51 seconds.

Now, don't get me wrong. I understand how difficult it is to be even of International standard in any track or pool discipline. I accept that these athletes do work hard, and are battling against a relative lack of facilities and coaching. But all that accepted - why should the tax payer be paying for them to essentially take part and nothing more?

It's not as if kids can even take up these sports easily up and down the country. We don't have track and pool infrastructure and / or the clubs or coaches to get people involved safely and meaningfully. The investment of three quarters of a million euros is sunk and we don't have anything to show for it. This needs to change.

As unpopular a suggestion as it will be, I'd be in favour of terminating all tax payer funding for Athletics, Swimming and Cycling. Are we passing up the outside possibility of the next Stephen Roche, Sonia O' Sullivan or Michelle Smith popping along? Yes, but we'd be playing the odds. We have a strong tradition in boxing, produce top quality horses and riders, have two hockey teams that fell short at the very death in qualifying for London. When resources are more limited than ever, we should be focussing on what we're good at / what we can compete at / what people up and down the country actually do in large numbers.

One of the most infuriating things around the Olympics was the complaining done by certain track athletes about the Olympic Council's decision not to send people over without achieving an 'A' qualifying standard. It just spoke of a culture that is steeped in losing and entitlement. The decision was utterly correct - why send someone over to finish towards the back of their heat. I get that they want their opportunity to get ridden senseless in the Olympic village, but that shouldn't ever be the point.

So, if it was up to me I'd wipe the slate clean and stop funding athletes of any shape or size unless there is every reason to believe they can win medals at European / World / Olympic level. Now I know people will say that is easier said than done - but I think you can accept that it has been clear for a very long time that Joanne Cuddihy, Paul Hession and Deirdre Ryan simply do not have the capability to win a world medal. Consistently time and time again we fund athletes throughout an entire career cycle on the basis that they are the best we've produced / or they once had potential. By and large, athletes are who they are by the time they hit their mid twenties. The plug needs to get pulled on individual cases a lot sooner, and possibly needs to get removed for certain sports that have simply not produced a return over a very large sample size.

I know people will disagree, fine. I also know that little or nothing will change. We're going to talk about this for a couple of weeks, we're going to make no hard and fast decisions on what to change, and we're ultimately going to continue doing the same things and achieving results within the same range for ever more.

Ah well.
                                                                                                        Think you've lost the run of yourself here Lloyd. There are some small parts of what you wrote which make sense. Dropping funding for every sport we don't medal in sounds like a lolbad idea. Lets just send a bunch of boxers hack up some medals and fuck every other sport. No point in Irish people being interested in any track and field events, no point in youngsters ever taking part in running sure they'll never make it to the Olympics because we won't be sending teams over there. No point in trying to swim competitively. Why bother dreaming, why bother having any ambition.

You do realize even qualifying for the Olympics is something most athletes dream of. It's not easy to do. It's an achievement in itself. These people put their lives into these sports, but because you're not happy with them not medalling we should just cut their funding tell them to go get a job, ignore their talent. These people are supremely talented. Just because there are 20 others more talented doesn't mean they are failures.
                                                                                                        I know we all want the best from our athletes, but from everything I have seen these Olympics, the attitude of most of them has been spot on. Fionnula Britton was pissed off with herself for not finishing ahead of the British one despite running a PB in the 5k. Annalise Murphy in tears after finishing 4th. They aren't all there just to take part. They are there trying to win. They grew up as winners, and are now fighting it out on the world stage representing Ireland trying their best and hopefully inspiring others to do the same. I think that's worth supporting.

I do agree that it's highly probable we could get a lot more out of the funding if we modeled it better, but the best times in this country are when Irish athletes or teams are fighting it out on a world stage, giving it their all. The atmosphere here is always incredible, there is a buzz about the country. I like us having a shot at more than one or two sports to be honest.

Comment

Klests 30 rock is painfully unfunny. Total trash

Comment

Fell asleep in the pub last night at a christening, few pictures taken, so i doctored one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                                                                                                              Fell asleep in the pub last night at a christening, few pictures taken, so i doctored one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                                                                                                              hOW DOES ONE SIMPSONS THEMSELF?

Comment

She's the best of the bunch in that list, I'd accept that. She also didn't underperform to the levels other athletes did in London. However Kev, she unfortunately is an example worth talking about - did she have any chance of winning a medal or even getting to the final?

Point taken though, I could have put together an inarguable list that really stunk the place up.
                                                                                                                Wouldn't be many races in the Olympics if everyone took this attitude. Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
                                                                                                                  Was watching aswell but didn't think the collusion was too bad in fairness. Was only really the shortie asking for walks etc which I don't think happened.

Although I think Doke was the only one not commenting.

Was really hoping the disconnect would win that last hand when he was allin vs the other shortie which would have put him ahead on chips!

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                                                                                    hOW DOES ONE SIMPSONS THEMSELF?
                                                                                                                    Just cartoonify, if thats a word, using photshop and change the colour using colour picker, takes a minute. You can download this for free, its the photoshop i use http://www.gimp.org/

Just realised that the url might look light i was googling something else and stumbled across the site, i typed free photoshop in to google for the record

Comment

Was watching aswell but didn't think the collusion was too bad in fairness. Was only really the shortie asking for walks etc which I don't think happened.

Although I think Doke was the only one not commenting.

Was really hoping the disconnect would win that last hand when he was allin vs the other shortie which would have put him ahead on chips!
                                                                                                                      Ya but he was telling them to fold faster and no reason to go at each other aswell. Let's blind this guy out he was saying..who knows what they were folding there, way out of line imo

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                                        Anywhere selling those Russian tops yet? Such a flashback to the 1980's
                                                                                                                        Hasn't GohstfaceSte been wearing one of those for years
                                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                                          we need different sports we can compete in. Any chance of getting "pretending to be Flann O'Brien when writing 'witty' Letters to the Editor" as an olympic Sport?
                                                                                                                          POTW/E

Well, that and Paddy Hitler.
                                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X