Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris full of win as always, hopefully a future PM.

BORIS Johnson commended the British athletes for exhibiting the politeness of hosts by not winning too many medals so far in the Olympic Games.

BORIS Johnson commended the British athletes for exhibiting the politeness of hosts by not winning to many medals so far in the Olympic Games.
    During a surprise appearance at the beach volleyball, the London Mayor said: "I think we are showing great natural restraint and politeness as host nation in not hoarding the medals more so far."

Comment

7th for Clark in the end in the individual eventing.

Comment

A great ipad use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_96f0Ooqg

Comment

He was up against the Chinese world number 1 and supposedly the greatest ever badmington player. Most Chinese people were probably watching it.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
            John O Shea - CL Final?
            Seamus - WWE?
            FTFY
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The Laser radial standing after 4 races

1 Ireland (Annalise Murphy) 4 points
              2 Belgium 16
              3 Netherlands 18
              4 GB 21
              5 China 27
              6 Finland 29
              7 Lithuania 34
              8 Czech 40
              9 USA 42
              10 Mexico 46

Comment

Eddie Irvine must be up there viewing figure wise (if F1 is as big globally as they'd have us believe)

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  Scott Evans is a very talented hockey player too.
                  He was in my class in school. Without doubt the most talented sportsman I've ever seen (live, I mean, before someone questions that). No question about it. My year had a lot of talented sportsmen but he was head and shoulders above everyone in every sport he picked up. Had football trials in England when we were in first year too. Played hockey for Ireland at u16s iirc and knocked in a few goals a game for fun. Sound guy too.
                  Last edited by thechamp87; 31-07-12, 14:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                    The Olympics have massive Worldwide viewing figures so it could be right.
                    A couple of hundred million Chinese watching the badminton seems to be key.
                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Murphy wins the 4th race. Pretty amazing stuff I imagine
                      I will rest easier after the boat has been drug tested

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                        Eddie Irvine must be up there viewing figure wise (if F1 is as big globally as they'd have us believe)
                        Steve Collins ??

Comment

I would have thought it would have been someone from the Ireland team during USA 94.
                          Soccer biggest sport + Yanks own most tv's. Guess a lot more people to watch TV now with China and india owning more of them and more people in the world overall.

Comment

bring back poetry and essay writing and painting as olympic sports, we'd clean up at the olympics.
                            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                              We need get some science on this. Also I think the definition would have to be most watched in any single event not cumulative.
                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

last team GB badminton player goes out .....when is it time to say its a bit of a disaster for them?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                  last team GB badminton player goes out .....when is it time to say its a bit of a disaster for them?
                                  why? they have no divine right to medals because they are the hosts. We're also only 4 days into the olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                    We need get some science on this. Also I think the definition would have to be most watched in any single event not cumulative.
                                    I was thinking of the 1999 Japanese GP, final race of the season and he had a chance to win the title.

Surely mega viewing figures worldwide, though I'm not sure whether F1 was free-to-air around the world.

@damo, doubt it'd be Collins, most of his big fights were ppv and they were only British Isles affairs anyway.
                                    Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 31-07-12, 15:01.

Comment

A couple of hundred million Chinese watching the badminton seems to be key.
                                      I would say the Opening Ceremony will skew the overall figures too.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                        why? they have no divine right to medals because they are the hosts. We're also only 4 days into the olympics.
                                        good chance of gold in road cycle...fail
                                        good chance of medal in men sync diving...fail
                                        good chance of medal in paddling...fail
                                        good chance of gold in swimming...fail
                                        good chance of gold in sailing...failing
                                        etc etc

pattern developing ?

As hosts it has to be major disappointment

Comment

On a per capita basis as host nation the Brits will do fine. The stadiums are all looking good and the athletes are happy. The seating is being sorted out. All this delivered by a democracy in a world city.

Irish people looking to poke ridicule at the Brits are looking fairly small minded. Sure we hate them and all, but if you look at the support they give the Irish athletes its a bit embarrassing. But fuck you Daley Thompson obv.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                            He was in my class in school. Without doubt the most talented sportsman I've ever seen (live, I mean, before someone questions that). No question about it. My year had a lot of talented sportsmen but he was head and shoulders above everyone in every sport he picked up. Had football trials in England when we were in first year too. Played hockey for Ireland at u16s iirc and knocked in a few goals a game for fun. Sound guy too.
                                            Seems like a cool guy, gas quote about Chloe Magee's oppo in article in my rag today

Also, he looks about 15 years older than you. WP Kid

Comment

If they go belly up in the cycling and rowing. Which definitely wont happen.

But the various organisations, and as a result the media havent definitely overplayed their chances and created huge expectation hype as a result

Comment

good chance of gold in road cycle...fail ya genuine fail here, although with the road race a break was always likely to screw things for Cavendish
                                                good chance of medal in men sync diving...fail medium chance at best surely, disappointed not to get a medal alright, but gold was far from likely
                                                good chance of medal in paddling...fail not over yet?
                                                good chance of gold in swimming...failnone of their swimmers so far would have been even near favourite
                                                good chance of gold in sailing...failinglong long long way to go
                                                etc etc

pattern developing ?

As hosts it has to be major disappointment
                                                I think that only in one event so far - mens road race could it be classed as a major disappointment for them not to get gold. Huge over reaction from the British media about it all

Comment

Daley Thompson obv.
                                                  dude is stuck doing Daz adverts.

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                    Thought he was about your time alright. Yes, he used to play a bit of hockey in our club but even as a kid was very much lining himself up for badminton. His mum used to score about 30 goals per season too!
                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think that only in one event so far - mens road race could it be classed as a major disappointment for them not to get gold. Huge over reaction from the British media about it all
                                                      Tbh people have no understanding of the cycling. That race was like sticking Phil Ivey in a 15 minute blinds donkament and then saying its a shock he didn't win. At the end of the day the Tour de France is the true measure of class in cycling and Wiggins won it. Unfortunately for him he won it in 2012 when the Olympics is in London so his achievement got glossed over after a few minutes. Cest la vie.

Plus the mens gymnastics yesterday and the women's cycling were two good medals for them. The 3 day eventing result was in line.
                                                      Last edited by V for Vendetta; 31-07-12, 15:17.

Comment

Bit expectation grounding re Annalise Murphy

When the discard is taken out of the current standings, things are a bit closer

1 Ireland (Annalise Murphy) 3 points
                                                        2 Belgium 8
                                                        3 GB 11
                                                        4 Netherlands 12

While the strong windy weather which is good for Annalise is forecast to continue for the remainder of this week, her class has a rest day on Thursday - the remaining races to take place on Wed, Fri and Sat (medal race next Monday), so she'll need to continue to make hay tomorrow.

40something - is this reasonable enough?

Comment

In with a shout for Olympic Hero of the day?

Qatari shooter Nasser Al Attiyah

Bronze in Mens Skeet after shoot off. Must have been bricking it after coming 4th 2004 games.

Put off his prep for this years Dakar Rally to focus on Skeet shooting.

He won the Dakar Rally in 2011
                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

2 Belgium 8
                                                            3 GB 11
                                                            4 Netherlands 12

While the strong windy weather which is good for Annalise is forecast to continue for the remainder of this week, her class has a rest day on Thursday - the remaining races to take place on Wed, Fri and Sat (medal race next Monday), so she'll need to continue to make hay tomorrow.

As the forums boat racing thing expert, Looks grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

In with a shout for Olympic Hero of the day?

Qatari shooter Nasser Al Attiyah

Bronze in Mens Skeet after shoot off. Must have been bricking it after coming 4th 2004 games.

Put off his prep for this years Dakar Rally to focus on Skeet shooting.

He won the Dakar Rally in 2011
                                                              Shooting goes well with competing in the Dakar rally.

Comment

Tbh people have no understanding of the cycling. That race was like sticking Phil Ivey in a 15 minute blinds donkament and then saying its a shock he didn't win. At the end of the day the Tour de France is the true measure of class in cycling and Wiggins won it. Unfortunately for him he won it in 2012 when the Olympics is in London so his achievement got glossed over after a few minutes. Cest la vie.

Plus the mens gymnastics yesterday and the women's cycling were two good medals for them. The 3 day eventing result was in line.
                                                                Ya v true Ollie. My point was just that despite all the hysteria very few of GBR strong gold hopes have gotten to the final stage yet.

Ya Mens gymnastics was the huge plus although slightly cancelled out by no medal in the diving

So far the stand out team for me have been France. Picked up their 4th gold today

Comment

2 Belgium 8
                                                                  3 GB 11
                                                                  4 Netherlands 12

Ah Kev our girl won't be discarding a first and the rest will be doing well to be discarding a top 5 finish. Very well. Get on board the bandwagon. A big day tomorrow and the rest will be just thinking silver max.

Comment

I'm ready to crown her second best Irish Olympian ever, just behind Lord Clifton Hugh Lancelot de Verdon Wrottesley.

Comment

if they wernt so arrogant before the off they might have got more help from other countries

Comment

Wiggins also won it while being from Yorkshire and having a champion pair of sideburns. I'd say he has a membership of Camra and whippet.

Comment

So far the stand out team for me have been France. Picked up their 4th gold today
                                                                          All that plus a white man sub 10 seconds over 100m. They are on a massive roll.

French garlic perhaps??

Comment

All that plus a white man sub 10 seconds over 100m. They are on a massive roll.

French garlic perhaps??
                                                                            How are they doing in the Olympic Handball?

Comment

Ah Kev our girl won't be discarding a first and the rest will be doing well to be discarding a top 5 finish. Very well. Get on board the bandwagon. A big day tomorrow and the rest will be just thinking silver max.
                                                                              Firmly on the wagonm just need to keep the expectations dampened.

Comment

Wiggins also won it while being from Yorkshire and having a champion pair of sideburns. I'd say he has a membership of Camra and whippet.
                                                                                what's wrong with CAMRA ?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                  what's wrong with CAMRA ?
                                                                                  who said there was anything wrong with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                    if they wernt so arrogant before the off they might have got more help from other countries
                                                                                    Lol. If you're nice to us we'll give ye a hand to win the gold medal like.

That race played out exactly as it always would have done. That post above is a bit like the ridiculous question the rte girl asked Nicholas Roche after the race.

Reporter: Are you disappointed?

Roche: Yes. Tried to breakaway early but the British seemed to have them covered. Then obviously they didn't cover all the breaks and I missed my chance.

Reporter: Did you learn anything for future races?

(Confused exasperated look as he realises he's speaking to an idiot with no understanding of his sport)

Roche: No I didn't learn anything. Each race is individual.

Comment

who said there was anything wrong with it?
                                                                                      think I utterly misjudged the tone of your post

Comment

Comment

2 Belgium 8
                                                                                          3 GB 11
                                                                                          4 Netherlands 12

Strange that they don't show the current net score in the net column.

BBC chart is still showing tomorrow as the quietest day with a low sitting right over UK for Friday and Saturday.
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Firmly on the wagonm just need to keep the expectations dampened.
                                                                                            Spoilsport.

Comment

Hilarious News of the day

SNOOP Dogg has officially dropped the Dogg act and upgraded his name to "Snoop Lion".
                                                                                              The rapper says he underwent a spiritual and artistic rebirth while in Jamaica where he was given the new moniker by Rastafarian priests.
                                                                                              Legally he isn't any sort of animal, of course, but must go by the name Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr.
                                                                                              "I want to bury Snoop Dogg, and become Snoop Lion" Mr Broadus Jr told journalists at a news conference in New York.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...#ixzz22DODrJM2
                                                                                              Vice is also releasing the documentary, REINCARNATED, on September 7th at Sundance documenting Snoops travels through Jamaica and his subsequent transformation into Snoop Lion.
                                                                                              Trailer Below:
                                                                                              Check out Snoop Lion's latest video, "No Guns Allowed" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqo9gPxT6A8VICE Films, in partnership with Snoopadelic Films, pre...
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Womens team Gymnastics on, much prefer the team element than the individual.

Comment

I see that Irish one is dead last in the sailing. She only has 4 points.

Comment

Bradley Wiggins is not from Yorkshire. consider my mind blown.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                      Hilarious News of the day

Vice is also releasing the documentary, REINCARNATED, on September 7th at Sundance documenting Snoops travels through Jamaica and his subsequent transformation into Snoop Lion.
                                                                                                      Trailer Below:
                                                                                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTqyV5Kw9Ss
                                                                                                      ODB proclaiming himself Big Baby Jesus was funnier.

Comment

PokerStars owns FTP.
                                                                                                        FTP's non-US players to be reimbursed in full for balances, totalling $184million, within 90 days.

Comment

Thought there might be a few hot wimmins in the gymnastics, but they all seem to be 13 years old, biggest disappointment of the games thus far imo.

Comment

More Euan Burton stuff.

Who is he??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=AdXTydR0TUM

For those with a UK proxy here's his post match interview. I'm sure it'll be on youtube soon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19064394

And here it is from an online news site.

Team GB’s two-time Olympian Euan Burton choked back the tears after his early exit in the judo on Tuesday but won the hearts of the nation after showing his class in a heart wrenching post-fight interview.

Burton (pictured), 33, widely regarded as Britain’s best hope of a judo medal, lost out to Canada’s Antoine Valois-Fortier and was still coming to terms with his surprise defeat when he started his TV interviews.

The double world bronze medallist said he had ‘let everyone down’ in what would likely be his last Olympic Games and when pressed about his performance and whether he’d made a mistake he said he lost to ‘beautiful judo.’

“It’s pretty difficult to process at the moment, I was beaten by a beautiful piece of judo, if I say it was mistake I’m doing him a disservice, he caught me with a beautiful bit of judo,” said a red-eyed and devastated Burton.

“He had disposed of the Olympic champion (Elnur Mammadli) and pretty much disposed of me there. I can’t take away any positives from this experience whatsoever, I feel like I’ve let my family down, my coaches, everybody I’ve ever trained with and my mum, dad and brother.

“I’ve been working for this for over a quarter of a century and I’m pretty sure you won’t see me in Rio in 2016.

“I wish I could have done a bit more for the people that come down to watch, I felt great in the warm up area and that the tournament was mine for the taking. I know the reason they come down was to see me on the medal rostrum and I’m really sorry for that.”

Burton finished seventh in Beijing and endured a gruelling four-year journey in the unforgiving sport to compete in London, entering unchartered territory as he become the first European to win the Tokyo Grand Slam in 2010.

After conducting the emotional interview Burton, who desperately wanted to become Britain’s first judo medallist since Sydney 2000, also captured the hearts of seasoned sportsman as he received an outpouring of support on social networking site Twitter.

Rugby 's 2003 World Cup–winner Lewis Moody said: “Gutted for Euan Burton, devastated by his loss. Sport is cruel but he was honest and emotional in appraisal of his performance.”

Former Crystal Palace striker and now BBC football broadcaster Mark Bright said: “Regardless of anything else that happens today, my hero of the day is Euan Burton.”

One Team GB supported said: “If anyone needs their faith in humanity restored, read Euan Burton’s messages.”

After reading the immense support from the British public Burton said: “I was just about holding it together down here in the warm up room until I read all your tweets. Now in floods of tears. Thank you all so much.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                                              more d1 tonight? theres something about tuesdays being free for new members you should investigate it
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by kpnuts View Post
                                                                                                                PokerStars owns FTP.
                                                                                                                FTP's non-US players to be reimbursed in full for balances, totalling $184million, within 90 days.

http://diamondflushpoker.com/2012/07...ment-complete/
                                                                                                                I hope I'm wrong but it sounds to me like bad news for Pocket Kings.
                                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by reilly110 View Post
                                                                                                                  you missed loads the 400 is fucked
                                                                                                                  BBV was on massive form over the weekend and I got several proper lols while catching up, but this is undoubtedly my favourite post of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                    I hope I'm wrong but it sounds to me like bad news for Pocket Kings.
                                                                                                                    Doesn't sound great for them alright. Don't think PokerStars have any presence here...

Comment

...
                                                                                                                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                                        just passing through Tallaght on way to hotel in Blessington. Tallaght has seriously come on in last few years - looks *eek* quite nice
                                                                                                                        Im telling you, Pram Springs, Tallaghtfornia is amazing.
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by kpnuts View Post
                                                                                                                          Doesn't sound great for them alright. Don't think PokerStars have any presence here...
                                                                                                                          They don't but i'd have thought, in the short-term at least the PK infrastructure will continue to operate from Dublin.

PS says, "It's too early to begin disclosing many details about our strategic plans for Full Tilt, but our first order of business is to re-open the site, pay back all of the players and begin rebuilding Full Tilt's reputation. Going forward, we will operate Full Tilt as a separate brand, giving players another leading and trusted platform to enjoy the game."

Operating a dual platform strategy it may be in their interests to have PS and FT continue to compete with each other which could be aided by keeping FT operating from Dublin.

Hopefully this news is the start of the online poker ship beginning to rite itself - though the monopolistic strength now enjoyed by PS is perhaps worrying.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 31-07-12, 22:33.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X