This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bozzer View Post
    Yeah I remember when Valencia replaced Hector Cuper (who had led the team to back-to-back Champions League finals) with some guy who'd secured a couple of promotions from the Segunda Division, but couldn't avoid relegation in his only full season in the Primera Division. Think he got the boot at a couple of clubs as well. What was his name again??

I realise Cuper wasn't sacked at Valencia, but I'm sure a lot of the fans there would have felt Benitez would be miles out of his depth when appointed. Not championing Martinez here, just thought this was worth a comment given Rafa's history.
    To be honest though, Benitez had won things at youth level and then gained promotion with two different teams before Valencia took him on. Martinez has spent months on end of the last two seasons with his team looking utterly clueless, and finished out strongly at the tail end of both campaigns performing way above expectations. It's all a bit patchy, and the lack of progression for Wigan this year in comparison to last year would be a huge red flag for me.

There are also stories like Hodgson and Staunton out there to demonstrate the risks involved when you pluck a manager up to the realm of high expectations before they've stepped on the stones required to get there themselves.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
      Think it's about coupling what you would like to see with realistic expectations. Teams that are expected to go and win the league it shouldn't matter how they do it as long as they win games wheareas take Bohs and UCD for example, both young squads with some very promising players . I'd rather see them play good football obvioulsly picking up as many points as possible and avoiding stupid costly mistakes.
      Look at Jeff, if his underage manager hadn't wanted to see his team win at all costs he could have been a far better footballer, instead he was tall so he was told to play centre half and had to hoof the ball at any given opportunity.
      You're into the realm of player development there though and when it comes to that I do agree - the results should be considered secondary to the performances and trying to play the game in a progressive fashion. The Irish Senior team has nothing to do with development, it's all about results.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
        You're into the realm of player development there though and when it comes to that I do agree - the results should be considered secondary to the performances and trying to play the game in a progressive fashion. The Irish Senior team has nothing to do with development, it's all about results.
        Think it all comes back to development really. In UK and Ire it's all about hoofing the ball and getting results straight through from underage to the national team, so much so that here skilful players just wont get a look in whereas in Spain etc it's about ball retention right the way through. Sure, a team has to play to their strengths but that doesn't mean you have to train the next few generations to what worked for Jack Charlton.

Comment

Originally posted by gillespie101 View Post
          i take it your obviously counting VDV, Bale, Modric and Parker ahead of him, 4 of the top midfielders in the league but were not talking about midfielders here were talking about wingers and as an out and out winger theres not many better english wingers out there than Lennon, certainly not Downing and maybe in time Chamberlain will be but not done enough yet for me so to leave Lennon out is a slight tragedy imo!
          I fully agree re. Downing, its shocking that he goes, Chamberlain wont become a better winger but only because he will eventualy play through the middle or as a support striker.

Lennon's stats this year of 3 goals and 6 assists is very poor considering teh attacking style of football Spuds play. I would rate Walcott, Young and Johnson as ahead of Lennon and Jarvis and Etherington at least on a par.

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
            yep the cunt who keeps outdrawing the first fella and ships it
            That would make you a Greek and we all know how that paned out

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
              That would make you a Greek and we all know how that paned out
              That Syferus lad on boards makes me want to kick penguins.

Comment

Johnson should be there imo. Quality winger whenever he gets time. Carrick, while improved this season, is no major loss imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                  Actually - seeing as we have you V for Vendetta!:

- have only started realising the amount of ums and ahhs that use since joining Toastmasters. How did you get rid of those? Are there exercises you can do?
                  I'm in London now so no time to get into the hedge fund thing in detail. Suffice to say when someone buys Irish life for a billion ill believe that there ate people out there with genuine confidenece in the Irish economy. That's my canary in the mine.

On the toastmasters question I have 3 tips

1 Care more about your audience receiving and understanding your message then "looking good" yourself. Stop reaching for the big words and focus on a clearly delivered message.

2 Get comfortable with silence when appropriate. You need to focus on doing this in planning your future speeches.

3 Some people say that there is nothing worse then not practicing. My coach told me there is and that is Bad Practice. Think about how long you have spent presenting with bad habits. Spend at least that much time presenting with good habits and that will solve a lot of your problems.

At a TM meeting ask the ahh counter to record your mistakes specifically and get feedback from them after the meeting. That will ensure that your efforts in a meeting are good efforts.
                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                    That Syferus lad on boards makes me want to kick penguins.
                    I was like that for a while but now I get a great kick out of him, he's so deluded I reckon If Roscommon were playing the Kerry team of the 70's he'd give them a great chance, every player that has ever wore a Roscommon jersey is a ''mercurial talent as good as any in the country''

Comment

Chris Gayle is quite good at cricket.

128 off 62 balls, with 13 sixes. Nice.

Comment

I was like that for a while but now I get a great kick out of him, he's so deluded I reckon If Roscommon were playing the Kerry team of the 70's he'd give them a great chance, every player that has ever wore a Roscommon jersey is a ''mercurial talent as good as any in the country''
                        He's unreal, claims to be well aware they're an average team but seems to think each of their individual players is amazing. Lemlin is a serious goon as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                          I've found in football that this schism often exists between those who play the game / don't play the game.
                          'Playing the game' not in the sense of a nice 7-a-side on an all-weather pitch once a week, but spending four five or ten years getting up at 9am on a Sunday 35 times a year to travel in the back of a van to a muddy pitch in the middle of a hostile estate in Corduff or Ballybrack or Darndale.

That sheer joy of manufacturing a 1-0 win or a scrappy 1-1 draw after you've been outplayed for 90 minutes and having a few stones thrown at your van on the way out of the estate ; it builds an attitude of 'they might be better but they couldn't beat us and thats all that fucking matters' which stands one in good stead when it comes to watching the international team.

I've rarely heard anyone who plays the game at an amateur Sunday level denigrate the International team, as most can respect what they do.
                          WTF, Ballybrack was never that hostile!
                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                            He's unreal, claims to be well aware they're an average team but seems to think each of their individual players is amazing. Lemlin is a serious goon as well.
                            Ah I reckon the bauld Seanie Johnson definitly was giving Lemlins sister one, either that or he fancies him himself and it confuses and scares the fcuk out of him.

Comment

Having been away & not read properly through the BBV, who are Liverpool fans looking for to take over? Have Lloyd etc come out & said?

Comment

Good deal for the old fashioned among us that still rent DVDs/Blurays

Rent 16 New Releases for €15 from Xtra-vision on Mon-Thurs between 23rd May and 28th June

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                  Chris Gayle is quite good at cricket.

128 off 62 balls, with 13 sixes. Nice.
                                  I thought he was supposed to be back with the Windies for this series against England, the Indian money must be a lot more attractive to him at this stage.
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                    Having been away & not read properly through the BBV, who are Liverpool fans looking for to take over? Have Lloyd etc come out & said?
                                    Wish list

1 Jose
                                    2 pep
                                    3 hiddink
                                    4 rafa
                                    5 Martin o neill
                                    6 lambert

Not ever ever AVB ever. Would destroy me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                      No, they are reserving to right to be upset until someone that will do it on terms other than their fucking own is picked

Comment

Originally posted by merkum wallop View Post
                                        Wish list

1 Jose
                                        2 pep
                                        3 hiddink
                                        4 rafa
                                        5 Martin o neill
                                        6 lambert

1. Tupac style hologram of Bob Shankly
                                        2. Kenny Dalglish
                                        3. Steve Kean
                                        4. Maradona
                                        5. Kelly Dalglish
                                        6. Steven Gerrard.

Comment

Originally posted by merkum wallop View Post
                                          Wish list

1 Jose
                                          2 pep
                                          3 hiddink
                                          4 rafa
                                          5 Martin o neill
                                          6 lambert

Prepare to be destroyed, the only reason he doesn't go there is that he turned the job down.
                                          LOL @ the idea that for any money the Real Madrid or Barcelona managers would head off to Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                            Think it all comes back to development really. In UK and Ire it's all about hoofing the ball and getting results straight through from underage to the national team, so much so that here skilful players just wont get a look in whereas in Spain etc it's about ball retention right the way through. Sure, a team has to play to their strengths but that doesn't mean you have to train the next few generations to what worked for Jack Charlton.
                                            Look, I'm no fan of the DDSL and the attitudes that exist within and the reality is that youth football in this country would need to be completely re - imagined (and strong links established between elite youth football and national league clubs) for us to take a giant leap forward as a footballing nation.

Ideally you would get players to 20 or 21 doing the right things, and that would give you the option and flexibility to employ more adventurous tactics for the national team. But that isn't the landscape, it consequently isn't the type of players we produce or have to work with, so this consequently is the way we have to play to best achieve good results.

Comment

And lastly teh standby GK is lol, reserve keeper at Birmingham, seriously Id say the chap himself thought the boys at Brum were ripping the piss when he got the call.

Roy is old school
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Confirmed that Liverpool have asked to speak to Martinez.

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes
                                                  Dave Whelan has confirmed to The Times that #LFC have asked for permission to speak to Roberto Martinez. "It is true," Whelan said.

Whelan: "I don’t know the exact timescales of when he is due to meet with the Liverpool owners but I will never stand in Roberto’s way.”#LFC

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                    Oh, nothing on that scale, just made an error between subnet masks default gateways.

I find these kind of things funny.
                                                    I honestly wouldnt sweat that kind of error, sure just as long as you can demonstrate good google fu and applicable knowledge, the on the spot question seem moot.
                                                    I'd been doing heavy ETL projects for years before I knew what ETL stood for.
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

They are also, on average, about half as risky as the general stock market. A sweet place to put your money really.
                                                      A person, on average, has less than two legs.

Careful with statistics, they bite hard

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                        Is there any bank where you can get a pre-paid Credit Card to use online?
                                                        I got one from The TSB a few years back. The 3V credit card. Was handy enough till my Ulster bank card was changed to a Visa Debit.

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                        Had interview at lunch time. Think it went ok, now have the hell of a weeks wait to see if I got it.

Ugh, really hate the hours after mentally reanswering questions. Made one small slip but realised my error and corrected my answer, hopefully I came across ok.
                                                        The fact that you corrected the answer shows you know what you are talking about. They expect a degree of nerves so don't lose too much sleep over it.

Is it a large place you looking to get into? There are so little jobs out here in Letterkenny that it is going to be tough to get a job in the sector once I am out looking for a full time place.

I have been concentrating on the Cisco IOS so that I can specialise in that down the road. Networking is something I really enjoy though so it makes it easier to learn when you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                          Confirmed that Liverpool have asked to speak to Martinez.

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes
                                                          Dave Whelan has confirmed to The Times that #LFC have asked for permission to speak to Roberto Martinez. "It is true," Whelan said.

Whelan: "I don’t know the exact timescales of when he is due to meet with the Liverpool owners but I will never stand in Roberto’s way.”#LFC

Opr
                                                          Any thoughts on Unai Emery?
                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

New Sigur Ros album played until 7pm

Comment

Anyone able to ship me €22 on boyles until monday morning when i get home for the ipo sat?

(If i spike i'll give 5% @ ipo)

Comment

Anyone used to working VMware Player?

Having trouble getting something running on it.

Comment

whitlock with a 9 darter in the 2nd leg..

Comment

Just the auld 9 darter from Whitlock to start the evening

Comment

Anyone watching the tennis? Seppi comes back after facing six match points to take it with the Italian spectators going crazy

Comment

Originally posted by afex View Post
                                                                        whitlock with a 9 darter in the 2nd leg..
                                                                        Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                        Just the auld 9 darter from Whitlock to start the evening
                                                                        Super finishing by Hamilton though

Comment

Stream for the darts? A friend wants one and I've no idea where to look

Comment

Wade will beat Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                              was driving up Zion road there and spotted a guy canvassing house to house with a bundle of Sinn Fein Vote No leaflets. One time for the doorbell to ring.
                                                                              Pick up the Nigel Farrage UKIP leaflet and tell them how you admire their leaflet and are delighted they have finally come clean on their immigration policies

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                                                                Stream for the darts? A friend wants one and I've no idea where to look

Just noticed how long ago that was posted, hope it helps anyways
                                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                  http://sigur-ros.co.uk/valtari/hour/

New Sigur Ros album played until 7pm
                                                                                  Bah have to wait 6 and a half hours for Canada 7pm
                                                                                  Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                                    Bah have to wait 6 and a half hours for Canada 7pm
                                                                                    heard the last few tracks, it was good but IMO indistinguishable from their previous work, nothing that really stood out. Will listen again though.

Comment

That UKIP leaflet is comedy gold, did they pay for that themselves or are we paying for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        heard the last few tracks, it was good but IMO indistinguishable from their previous work, nothing that really stood out. Will listen again though.
                                                                                        I didn't want to wait so am currently downloading for free

Comment

*10 years since our last qualification and we're getting high and mighty about the style of football we're playing, or that players like Hoolahan aren't accommodated. If you wanted us to not qualify so that Trapp lost his job then you aren't actually a fan of the national team, so fuck you.

LL, Does it say under your user name "the voice of reason". Was the first thing that sprung to mind when I read the above!

Comment

Well the first two tracks of this album are complete garbage.

Comment

...
                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

RIP Donna Summer

Comment

Couldn't give a fook if we won the Euros by drawing every game 0-0!

The last qualifying game V Armenia was a complete sell out. Do you think that would be the case if we played attacking football, but could only finish third on the night?

The atmosphere in the country will be amazing for Ireland's matches next month and the majority of the population will be watching. Really can't understand how any football fan could not want the country to enjoy that experience.

Comment

You'd say that on first listen to a new album by an awful lot of bands, its only exacerbated by the fact that there are no vocal cues to latch onto with Sigur Ros. The pleasure with them has always been getting so intimately familiar with their music that songs start to take on their own meaning for you even if you have no idea wtf jonsi is talking about.

Comment

Prepare to be destroyed, the only reason he doesn't go there is that he turned the job down.
                                                                                                      LOL @ the idea that for any money the Real Madrid or Barcelona managers would head off to Liverpool.
                                                                                                      'wish list'

Comment

Martinez would be a horrible appointment for Liverpool imho, definitely better realistic targets out there
                                                                                                        "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Anyone up for a Home Game., I am bored and pissed off
                                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

my son,s band just finished with there first demo..

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOt6u...feature=relmfu

Pretty good Dave. Also, I may have to drastically revise upwards how old I thought you were

Comment

whats a good site to buy a TV online ?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOt6u...feature=relmfu

Thats very good.

Comment

Originally posted by nicnicnic View Post
                                                                                                                      whats a good site to buy a TV online ?
                                                                                                                      Pixmania had a good selection AFAIR
                                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Haven't rented in years - do dvds come out earlier than the downloadable copies?
                                                                                                                        Nope movies are available for download usually a month or more before they get released.
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                                                                        I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                                                                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

FFS what a tagline, I have heard it all now!

" what happens in huggies, stays in huggies" Jesus lol

Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X