Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SnG, I'm chip leader with 5 left, 3 getting paid and almost 3 hands in a row

KK< AK
    AKs < AJ
    JJ< 10 10

don't you just love poker

Comment

Finkel should call the child. Neville

Comment

This BBV curse shite drives me demented.

Comment

Or Jerry after Jerry Yang...

....which would make the kid Jerry Lawlor... a wrestler?
          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Cant have 'em all

Originally posted by loopers View Post
            just lost chiplead in hugh pot in 10k fiver R/A on iPoker. now 36/70. 2. somethingK up top

on FT of 2k fiver freezout. 6/7 i think.

Run good would be nice
            busto from 10k r/a in 43rd, KK < AQ.

then again, shipped the frezout so cant complain

SPOILER
            Attached Files

Comment

Call the child El For

SPOILER
              El For Lawlor
              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Right ebook reader types, the Kindle is quite tricky to get here apparently, the Kobo on the other hand is everywhere and cheaper. Should I go for that or is the Kindle worth the extra wait and expense? I'll be using it for my own acquired ebooks of various formats and am really only interested in the most basic of features and the most comfortable screen for reading.
                "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Originally posted by BrianN View Post
                  Just watched the last episode of Friday Night Lights. Kinda gutted to be finished it tbh!
                  Awesome, now go and bookmark this and look upon it from time to time

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS is the defining network drama of the last 10 years. A fiercely inventive, meaningful show about people with big hearts living in small to...
                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                    Shipage.

Baby boy
                    Congrats man best to you and the missus & the family

Comment

Somebody check Finkel's posts from this day 9 months ago, see if he won money

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                        Awesome, now go and bookmark this and look upon it from time to time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG37AylK1_s
                        Not sure if there's any truth to these but saw some links on twitter mentioning a FNL film coming out.

Comment

Got with a girl tonight at least 3 leagues above my absolute best(I'm an ugly fucker). Fuck me I'm delighted with my life, if I actually don't wake up in the morning it'll be a good death. My god at least 8.92/10, will upload pics when capable
                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

3 Blaas, fresh from the baker. Lads, words can't describe what you're missing.
                            Last edited by Icarus152; 05-05-12, 06:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                              3 Blaas, fresh from the baker. Lads, words can't describe what you're missing.
                              Soft or crusty?

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                Right ebook reader types, the Kindle is quite tricky to get here apparently, the Kobo on the other hand is everywhere and cheaper. Should I go for that or is the Kindle worth the extra wait and expense? I'll be using it for my own acquired ebooks of various formats and am really only interested in the most basic of features and the most comfortable screen for reading.
                                I hear good things about the latest version of Nook sold by Barnes and Noble. A big plus is that it comes with a backlight for reading in bed.
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                  Got with a girl tonight at least 3 leagues above my absolute best(I'm an ugly fucker). Fuck me I'm delighted with my life, if I actually don't wake up in the morning it'll be a good death. My god at least 8.92/10, will upload pics when capable
                                  get the pics up or it didn't happen

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                    Rumours abound about irregular betting patterns on Shels - Monaghan game tonight. Sigh
                                    Yeah was reading about that earlier

Comment

My god at least 8.92/10, will upload pics when capable
                                      how far has she slipped now that you're sober?

Comment

Max it is

Comment

30 of the last 36 hours in bed with food poisoning. Not recommended.

Comment

Max it is
                                            MaxaSundayMillion?
                                            Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Max Power

Comment

Got with a girl tonight at least 3 leagues above my absolute best(I'm an ugly fucker)
                                                Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                Methinks he won't be the only one in that boat..

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                    what's with the bbv title?! - we can't just abandon previous bbv babies every time a new one comes along!

Coldplay tribute to Beastie Boys guy (it kinda works):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVr4UP9ntLs
                                                    Lovely tribute but it does prove that no matter how good the tune, Coldplay can make it suck.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHaHaWall View Post
                                                      How popular are Alabama shakes? Was lookin for a gig to go to Saturday night and seen they playing the academy but it's sold out, how much you reckon tickets be going for outside? They were only 13euro from ticketmaster
                                                      Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      Very popular in here, I doubt there will be many outside but I also doubt that the touts will be out in force more a case of getting lucky.
                                                      I only see people looking and none selling on toutless
                                                      I'm going in early to try snag a couple, not very hopeful though. I wish they held off on their Jools performance for a week or two. Really popular now.
                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Betting on Chelsea to win in 90 mins @ 6/4

no BBV curse one time

Comment

A bit about the Town of Paisley.... tl/dr

I have noticed things being posted over this last while about anniversaries of various disasters that the town has met with. I decided to do a bit of research as there was one particular event that could have impacted my life totally. I will spoiler a lot of it as there are many who prob don't give a damn lol. I just found it interesting that a smallish town like Paisley has such a terrible history.

Saturday 10th of November 1810 - Canal Disaster.

85 lives claimed when the new passenger boat The Countess of Eglinton capsized. The boat had only been launched at Halloween 10 days earlier.

SPOILER
                                                            The launch of the first passenger boat on the Paisley Canal caused great excitement in the town. The boat, The Countess of Eglinton, was designed to carry 150 passengers and was drawn by two horses at a speed of four miles an hour. Launched on 31st October, 1810, the boat began plying the canal between Paisley and Johnstone on 6th November that year.

Martinmass Fair was held on Saturday 10th November and a large number of holidaymakers were curious to sail on the new boat, to taste the delights of aquatic travel, possibly for the first time. Paisley weavers and their families thronged the banks of the Paisley Canal wharf in anticipation of a pleasure cruise.

“danger of capsizing”

When the Countess of Eglinton touched the landing stage, the eager Paisley folks rushed to board the boat as the passengers from Johnstone disembarked. The boatmen, realising the danger of capsizing, quickly pushed the boat a few feet out from the bank. Hoping to balance the boat, they shouted to the passengers to go into the cabin below. But, amid the noise and confusion, their warnings went unheeded. Eager passengers crowded the deck before the cabins and steerage below were filled. In seconds the boat capsized and two hundred people, men, women and children were thrown into the cold, winter water.

A contemporary account describes the scene as heart-rending. Hats, bonnets, cloaks and shawls floated all over the surface of the canal basin. Many people helplessly drowned in the crush of fallen bodies. Although the canal basin was only 6 feet deep and about the size of a large fishpond, it had steep sides and very few could swim.

“men shouted for help and women screamed”

When the boat righted, a small number of passengers were clinging to her side, but some, chilled by cold of the severe November weather, lost hold, fell back and were drowned. Others were pulled down by those struggling in the water. Men shouted for help and women screamed.

Soon, a cry went up in the town centre that the canal boat had capsized and her passengers drowned. Everyone ran to the basin to see if friends or relatives were victims. The water was being dragged with poles and hooks in a vain search for survivors. People grasped the garments of the drowned as they rose to the surface and sudden screams would be heard as the living recognised the dead. One old woman in a red cloak with “anxious face and hurried step” made her way to the scene. As two men passed her, she realised they were carrying her dead daughter. Victims presumed dead were taken to nearby houses and laid out. However, medical men managed to revive twenty of them by “rubbing” the bodies.

“the disater claimed 85 lives”

Many paisley homes lost two, three or, in some case, four relatives. The disaster had claimed 85 lives. 115 were providentially saved, with many being dragged to safety from the banks of the wharf. Only ten people managed to swim out of the freezing cold waters of the canal basin. The list made grim reading. Practically all the victims were weavers. More than half the number were children, who at the period worked in the weaving trade. Boys of nine or ten were listed as weavers or draw boys, while girls aged between twelve and fourteen were listed as clippers, darners or tambourers. The magistrates decreed that a fund be set up to relieve the suffering of families bereft of any income.

Shortly after the disaster, questions were asked in the town about the construction and design of the boat. The manufacturers replied, “we shall only state what we believe to be contradicted. She is built on what was conceived the best model of those employed on other canals……. Is equal to any packet boat on the Forth-Clyde canal and in some respects superior. To prevent tumbling, her keel acts as a ballast of a few tons, but it is not easy to comprehend how one should be constructed that shall not heel from the improper movements of an irregular crowd on the top”.

“the area now forms a new housing area”

Despite the disaster the “Countess of Eglinton” continued to sail for many years on the canal. She carried countless passengers without further losses. The old canal basin, the scene of paisleys worst tragedy, was filled in around 1883. It became a coal yard attached to Canal Street Railway Station. The area now forms part of Castlegait housing development.

31st December 1929 - The Glen Cinema distaster.

This incident claimed the lives of 71 children in paisley. The cinema had about 1000 children in for the afternoon matinee when smoke was spotted and screams of fire caused mass panic amongst the children inside. Many were crushed as they tried to escape and doors were padlocked to stop children sneaking in.

My grandfather and his brothers were sent to the cinema like most kids that day to give the mums peace to get the house ready for the traditional celebrations that evening. My grandpa was only about 4 at the time. I can't remember why, but my grandpa's brother decided to skip the cinema and took his 3 brothers elsewhere.

SPOILER
                                                            Events

On the afternoon of 31 December 1929, during a children's matinee, a freshly shown film was put in its metal can, in the spool room, where it began to issue thick black smoke. Nitrocellulose film, as used at this time, can burn on its own without needing any supply of air. Soon the smoke filled the auditorium containing about one thousand children.[2] Panic set in. Children ran downstairs so fast and in such numbers that they piled up behind the escape door which led to Dyers Wynd. The door could not be opened, as it was designed to open inwards and was padlocked. The following day, Paisley was stunned by the news that seventy children had died in the crush in the worst cinema disaster in British history.
                                                            An inquiry was held in Edinburgh on 29 April 1930 during which it was revealed that the cinema had been inspected and pronounced safe by the Paisley fire brigade on the morning of the fire. The owner, James Graham, had, however, agreed that there were insufficient exits, but claimed he had repeatedly reminded the manager, Charles Dorward, that the escape exits were not to be shut during matinee performances. The manager conceded that the exit gates had sometimes been locked to prevent children from entering the cinema without paying. A policeman who arrived on the scene just after the fire started reported that the gates were padlocked; however, another witness confirmed that she had seen Dorward unlock them. It remained unclear as to why the gates had been padlocked but there was a suggestion that it had been done by two boys. The conclusion of the inquiry was that the fire had been started by a short circuit when a metal box containing film stock had been placed on the top of a battery in the projection room. The tragedy had been made worse by the limited number of exits, insufficient attendants and overcrowding.
                                                            A relief fund for the injured children and bereaved parents raised £5,300: Paisley Town Council offered them a week's holiday at the seaside.[3]
                                                            [edit]Impact

Safety regulations were tightened in the wake of the disaster; many municipal authorities made inspections of cinemas compulsory. The Cinematograph Act 1909 was amended to ensure that cinemas had more exits, that doors opened outwards and that they were fitted with push bars. A limitation was also placed on the seating capacity of cinemas. [4]
                                                            [edit]Artefacts

A small display is at Paisley Museum which has some articles on the disaster, a receipt for a funeral, a pair of shoes, and a hat. There are also letters sent to the Lord Mayor of Paisley from other Civic Leaders, both in the UK, Europe and from the USA. Some of the more poignant letters are from women who were unable to keep their own children, offering them to the devastated families of Paisley.
                                                            In 2005, a team of archaeologists rediscovered the cinema buried behind the walls of a furniture shop in Paisley's town centre.
                                                            [edit]See also

It says in there that in 2005 a team or archaeologists discovered the cinema. This is wiki so not always totally true and the first person to actually find the cinema was a well known townsman Piero Pieraccini who is the father of a school friend of mine. He said the place was left the way it was just after the disaster. He said it was one of the most beautiful buildings he had seen and has been campaigning for it to be turned into a museum and a tribute to those who lost their lives. He tried to raise funds and offered up over a million of his own money if the Council would help with the project. They turned him down and the doors were closed again.

Here is a video with some footage of Paisley that day with interviews with people who were there

Corruption Films dir. James Alcock/Simon Hipkins 29' On Hogmanay 1929, 71 children died in Britain’s worst cinema disaster. In 2004, as the town commemorates…

May 6th, 1941 - First Aid Post Disaster

92 People lost their lives as a parachute fell with a mine attached.

SPOILER

TERRIBLE NIGHT WHEN DISASTER RAINED DOWN ON PAISLEY

Doctor’s daughter says only comfort was that her dad never knew what happened to his beloved First Aid Post.

ANOTHER air raid warning, another few hours spent in the shelter – and so to bed – such was life during the Second World War.

But when dawn broke on May 6th, 1941, Buddies awoke to find a tragedy on their doorstep.

During the night, a parachute mine floated down from the sky and wreaked a terrible destruction on a First Aid Post – killing 92 people.

Two fire service personnel died on the same night when another parachute mine fell on Paisley’s Newton Street.
                                                            It may be 60 years since Stella Gibson was told her daddy wasn’t coming home – but she remembers it like it was yesterday.

“disasters like the one that hit Paisley that night”

“It was all so casual,” she recalls about the way the news was broken to families.
                                                            Sitting at her dining table, the 73-year-old points to a yellowed newspaper cutting and an old photo resting on the lace tablecloth.
                                                            “That’s him there,” she says, indicating her father, Dr William Gibson.
                                                            Dr Gibson was the medical officer in charge of First Aid Post Number Five. Ironically, the post was set up to train people to deal with casualties from disasters like the one that hit Paisley that night.
                                                            Stella, who went on to be a doctor too, says the only comfort was that her dad never knew what happened to his beloved Post.

“I am always grateful that my father never knew what happened to the First Aid Post, because he was so proud of it, especially the new one because it was all purpose built,” she says.
                                                            “My father talked a lot about the Post. He had a tin hat with CS on it, casualty surgeon,” Stella picks at the lace table cloth, “more like casual surgeon!” She was 13 when the air raid warning signal went off.
                                                            Safely deposited in the basement of Wellmeadow House, Stella, her twin sister Iris, older brother John and mum Grace waited for the all-clear so that they could return to their beds. At 3.30am they did just that.
                                                            “We heard the mine fall at about 2am and then, later, the sound of marching feet. It was soldiers from the Drill Hall who were on their way to the Post.

“He was only 10 minutes back in the Post when he was killed”

“So we just went to bed, but mother stayed up because she liked to see father in and give him a cuppa. When he didn’t come in, she started sweeping the steps and saw crowds of people passing from the West End red-eyed.” Still expecting her husband through the door at any moment, she prepared breakfast which John ate then went out about 8am.
                                                            “A workman grabbed him by the sleeve and said: `Is it true the doctor has been killed?’ “My brother went back and asked my mother if dad had been injured and mum phoned the First Aid Post.
                                                            “John went up there and we just had to wait. It must have been a nightmare to see it.
                                                            “About three hours later, we were told by my uncle.” Stella gazes out of the window into the street.
                                                            “I imagine that’s the way that all the people heard. It was all so casual. Then my brother went to the emergency mortuary in the hall of St George’s Church (since demolished) to identify my father, finding to his consternation that they didn’t accept him.

“It must have been because he was a minor.” Dr Gibson, then 51-years-old, was in charge of training the medical staff as the medical officer. He went to the Post every time there was a raid.
                                                            “He was only 10 minutes back in the Post when he was killed,” says Stella.
                                                            The following day, a lorry drove around the town, delivering the coffins to houses. Stella felt she wanted to go to the funeral to say goodbye properly.
                                                            “There were crowds of people, patients and police. The Provost was there and various people like that. The police were there because the grave diggers were digging the mass grave (many of the victims were buried in a mass grave at Hawkhead Cemetery) “see above image”.

“There’s nobody left to ask now”

“It’s not marked as a mass grave, which I always thought was wrong.” Dr Gibson wasn’t the only doctor to lose his life. Dr Leo Skinnider, a colleague of Stella’s father, was also killed in the blast. He left behind two young children.
                                                            “He died probably because of his friendship with my father,” says Stella.
                                                            Dr David Dickie of the public health department died in hospital four days after the blast.
                                                            At the memorial service held in the town 50 years after the tragedy, Stella was asked to speak on behalf of the relatives. There she met one of the survivors who had been standing next to her father when he was killed.
                                                            “They said he was treating a casualty, but I still haven’t been able to work that out because it was a training post,” she says. “There’s nobody left to ask now.” The `casualty’ could have been someone like Peter Stewart. The 74-year-old was at the Post two days before it was hit, taking part in a training exercise.
                                                            “I was 14 at the time, playing in the street, when someone asked me if I would help,” the West Brae man explains.
                                                            He was promptly made-up with an injured knee, placed among some flagstones and surrounded by ox’s blood.
                                                            “I got landed with a burst kneecap. They rolled up my trousers and stuck a label round my neck to tell me what was wrong with me. I had to moan and groan. It was very realistic.” He was put in an ambulance and taken to Woodside, where he was `treated’ by medics.

“Then they gave me a cuppa. Two days later the Post was bombed.” Elizabeth Wilson gets out of the car and walks over to a lamppost in front of a nondescript boxy building.
                                                            “This is where it was,” she says, “of course, it’s all changed.” The 79-year-old tells how her brother Davy became one of two fire personnel to lose their lives when a mine fell near their lorry in Newton Street.
                                                            “The lorry landed on top of him,” she says, her eyes looking down at the cracked pavement.
                                                            Nearby, she passes number 28 Ferguslie Walk, where she lived at the time.

“All the windows in Ferguslie Walk were all blown in. It looked like a crystal walk with all the glass.” Elizabeth crouched in the close that night with her younger brother Bobby, her mother and Davy’s wife Agnes and daughter Anna, two.
                                                            “You could hear the drone of the planes through the baffle-walls (brick walls that were built at the ends of the closes) and it was a bit of a shock.” Davy, who worked for the fire service part-time during the war, had his legs crushed during the raid and died in hospital. We were all in the close when the bomb fell. I knew there was something wrong when Mr Kennedy (the next door neighbour) came in and asked if Davy was back.
                                                            “Then an officer came and took my mother and sister-in-law to the hospital. I don’t know whether he died then or on the Tuesday. It was mother who said Davy was gone.” Fireman Archibald Robertson and auxiliary service messenger John Farrow – just 16 – died that night too.

“Then I saw it was a bomb”

Broomlands Street resident Elizabeth Sellers was 19 when she watched as the bomb floated down from the sky.
                                                            “We were all in the close when the siren went and we all stood watching the sky,” she explains.
                                                            “A plane came over and the parachute came out and we thought it was a man. Then I saw it was a bomb and I shouted: `Duck!’ “We didn’t realise the extent. We got the all-clear and went to bed.
                                                            “Going to work at Coats’ Mills, I passed the site and saw the devastation then.
                                                            “The daughter of one of my mother’s friends was killed and the only way they found out was because one of her fingers was on top of one of the roofs of the building.” “Everything had to go on as normal, but it was such a terrible feeling to pass by the place and see the devastation.” The tragedy affected everyone in the town.
                                                            Maureen Donegan’s gym teacher, Winifred Robertson, never returned to teach her hugely successful first 11.
                                                            And it was only when reading an article in the Paisley Daily Express that Maureen realised how much influence the hockey coach had had on her own life.

“She changed my life with something she said on the hockey pitch one day which was significant,” says the 73-year-old Renfrew woman.
                                                            “We were on the playing field being taught the tactics of a successful hockey player and she said: `You must not keep running alongside your opponent, keeping company is all you’re doing. You must challenge your opponents.
                                                            “That advice was greatly useful. Sometimes you wonder why our generations of OAPs are so helpless, but we were taught that you didn’t challenge. You didn’t dare ask a thing.” Maureen went on to be a teacher herself and has applied Miss Robertson’s outlook by getting involved in various groups, like the Elderly Forum, challenging the authorities.
                                                            Maureen lived in the centre of Paisley when the bomb hit the post.

“The next day the headmistress told us that Miss Robertson had been killed,” she recalls. “There was just disbelief that a member of staff had died.” Just two walls separated Jessie Goudie and her family from disaster.
                                                            “That’s what saved the building,” says the 75-year-old from her Corsebar Road home.
                                                            Jessie was 15 when she crowded with the neighbours in her mother’s Broomlands Street flat, when the bomb fell.
                                                            “It sounded like a dull thud. The ceiling came down, all the soot came down the chimney and the windows blew in. That’s when we realised it was serious.

“For weeks afterwards, there were bits of clothes in the trees.” In all the carnage, there was a bit of light relief regarding Snowball the white canary.
                                                            “The strange thing I remember is about the canary,” says Jessie. “Its cage was next to the window and the bottom half of it got blown away but the canary was still in the top part. It survived.”

5th of June 1964 - brown & Polson disaster

This tragedy could have been much much worse if it had happened an hour later when the night shift had ended and the full work force had been there.

The blackest event in the history of Brown & Polson took place at 6.40am on the 5th June, 1964, when the animal feed plant, a large building to the rear of the rear in Braids rd, was completely destroyed in a huge explosion.

Workers who had arrived for the 6.45am shift had to run for their lives. Local firemen, ambulance men and workers tore at the rubble in the search for casualties, while anxious relatives stood waiting for news. Four men were killed and four badly injured. A local policeman described the disaster, “I have seen terrible things during the war, but never anything like this”.

16 April 1979 - Paisley Gilmour St Rail Disaster

The Paisley Gilmour Street rail accident occurred on 16 April 1979 at 19:50, the 19:40 Inverclyde Line service from Glasgow Central to Wemyss Bay operated by twoClass 303 trains crossed from the Down Fast Line to the Down Gourock Line under clear signals at Wallneuk Junction immediately to the east of Paisley Gilmour Street railway station. It collided head-on with the 18:58 Ayrshire Coast Line special service from Ayr to Glasgow Central formed of two Class 126 diesel multiple units, which had left Platform 2 against a red signal P31.

cont..
                                                            SPOILER
                                                            The DMU had started away from the platform with the signal at Red. A type of SPAD signal passed at danger accident known as ding-ding, and away. This accident prompted British Rail to change the Rules so that the bell or “Right Away” signal is only given when the Starting signal has been cleared.

Both drivers and five passengers were killed. 67 passengers and the guard of the Class 303 were injured and were taken to hospital. Only three of these remained in hospital.

Immediately after the accident the power was turned off on the Inverclyde Line; and a bus service substituted between Paisley St James and Paisley Gilmour Street station. A number of trains were trapped west of Paisley St James, after a few hours a limited train service ran between Paisley St James andGourock and Paisley St James. The Wemmys Bay line was closed.

The Ayrshire Coast services were diverted onto the Paisley Canal Line, which at that time was running services from Glasgow Central station to Kilmacolm, rejoining the Ayrshire Coast Line at Elderslie junction.

Both lines were handed back for normal operations at 23:00 on 17 April.

Also way before this happened. Marjorie Bruce, the daughter of Robert the Bruce lost her life and a monument stands to this day about her

SPOILER
                                                            A large stone cairn stands sentinel in Renfrew road, Paisley. This latter day “Paisley pyramid”, was built upon a legend. It is known as Marjory Bruce’s monument. Locals will tell you that, on this spot, an event took place that changed Scotland’s History. The story, part legend, part truth, which surrounds this modern pile of stones, is both romantic and sad.
                                                            Princess Marjory Bruce was the daughter of King Robert the Bruce. During the war with England, she had been captured and taken as a hostage by the “Auld Enemy”. She was to spend years of cruel incarceration in the Tower of London. After the battle of Banockburn in 1314, she was released.
                                                            Princess Marjory returned to Scotland under the escort of Walter Fitzalan, a descendant of the Walter Fitzalan who founded Paisley Abbey. The young Walter, as High Steward to the King, had played an important role at the battle of Bannockburn. As one of the King’s most deserving subjects and royal favourite, Walter was rewarded with the hand of Marjory in marriage. They were married in May 1315.

Legend has it that, on March 2nd, 1316, Marjory was returning to her husband’s castle at Renfrew. Riding through the lands of Knock, which lay between Paisley and Renfrew, she was accidentally throw from her horse. Her fall caused a dislocation of her neck bone and death soon followed. As she was heavily pregnant with Walter’s child and no skilled person was at hand, a country fellow boldly acted as surgeon. He succeeded in delivering the baby by Caesarian operation. During the operation, the baby boy’s eye was badly cut. This scar, in later life, gave the child, Robert, the nickname “Blearie eye”. Blearie or bleir in old Scots means something that obscures the sight.

I wont bore you all any longer, but there are many many things that happened in paisley like the Witch trials and the tale of the Weavers. It really is a Town steeped in History and the site below has links to many events over the years.

The Witches 1697 In 1697, when witchcraft was against the law in Scotland, Paisley saw a famous case of witch-hunting. Christian Shaw, the ten-year-old daughter of the laird of Bargarran near Erskine, fell mysteriously ill. Katherine had shouted curses at Christian in a fit of rage, but nowadays we do not think that Christian was

Comment

Howerya all!

Had a pretty scary day yesterday. Full on panic stations on my little slice of paradise island in Ha Long Bay.

As part of the tour I have to take out backpackers wakeboarding and high speed tubing with our speed boat and driver. I usually do wakeboarding first as I love getting out on the wakeboard and it makes the birds leave slug trails. Anyway, today I took the tubers out first. Its two tubes tied to the back of a 200bhp speedboat with 2 on each tube.

3rd Group of Tubers and one girl isnt enjoying it so I say Ill hop in to keep her tube balance on the beach approach and she can get back in the boat. I hop on, and the other tube want to switch to my tube, the harder one. Fair enough and I hop onto the east one with a small american girl called Ali.

Minh, our driver starts his beach approach punches the engine to 5k RPM and we are careering towards the beach, usually he whips the boat right and the tubes spin out left and we fall off about 15 meters from shores.

He made a mistake yest and cut two late and two fast and myself and the girl on my tube smash into a small wooden rowing boat anchored in the bay. I hit it hardest and bounce over it, she hits it just after me and goes under. Both of us were unconsious and concussed. I had to get 18 stitches in the back of my head and x ray on both arms and shoulders but am largely unhurt as it turns out. She is too.

We were lucky. Could have been so so so so so much worse.

TLDR. Boat Crash. Could have died. Didnt. Still have my own desert island.
                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

The thread title pleases me. Even with the spelling mistakes.

Thanks for the well wishes people's. Mammy and Baby doing well

Comment

Comment

Bollocks id say Caf, owners have all the power well defo with Coolmore anyway.

Cant see a trainer daring to upset a Sheik either
                                                                    Judging by the jockey booking today you must be right!

Congrats on the new Finkel.

Comment

Betting on Chelsea to win in 90 mins @ 6/4

no BBV curse one time
                                                                      I'm on them + celtic in a double and also +wigwam for a treble, I just don't want blackburn or pool to win really
                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BrianN View Post
                                                                          Not sure if there's any truth to these but saw some links on twitter mentioning a FNL film coming out.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...-a-go-20120503
                                                                          I'm pretty happy it finished and didn't drag on and lose anything about the show that I so much.

what's with the bbv title?! - we can't just abandon previous bbv babies every time a new one comes along!

I think that's pretty cool.

Comment

Anyone got a decent link for the Arsenal Norwich game?

1-1 atm.

Comment

4 hours is all i lasted in work...
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Jaysus that was a weird injury for Sagna.

Comment

Wow Arsenal, looked safe for CL a few weeks ago. Probably no hope of keeping Robin if they dont make it.
                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by gillespie101 View Post
                                                                                      Anyone got a decent link for the Arsenal Norwich game?

1-1 atm.

Comment

BBV help. Brother has wd multimedia harddrive loaded with films tv shows etc. When plugged into tv with hdmi cable works perfectly has remote to scroll through movies etc. But on tv he uses he has it into a scart but no joy. Lead works in other devices so its not faulty. Tried everything I can think of any idea?
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

2 peno shouts for Norwich that should well have been.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                              Wow Arsenal, looked safe for CL a few weeks ago. Probably no hope of keeping Robin if they dont make it.
                                                                                              Norwich obviously the team pushing for 3rd place and Arsenal with nothing to play for by the looks of things

Comment

van Persie is shite - knew i should have dumped him out of my team , cpt as well FFS

Comment

During half time when watching matches on LOF they have little filler spots about the teams etc and they were talking about Wenger bringing in Anelka for 500k and selling him for 22million nice

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                                                                                    People have been killed for spoilers like that.

Not quite as bad as
                                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                                    when I ruined Rita getting killed in Dexter on one of my mates though.
                                                                                                    My mate told me that in Dexter too as he thought I was in the next season,twat. I had kind of got pissed off by Dexter at that stage tho

Comment

Ridiculous game of football

Comment

odds in-play for Arsenal-Norwich seem strange - correct score Arsenal to win 3-2 is 4/1; score sheet not to change and Norwich to win 2-1 is 13/1. Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole obv, but that seems like strange pricing?
                                                                                                        I wouldn't touch 50-1 about the score staying the same the way the 2nd half is playing.

Comment

quoted for when mdoug remembers this and tries to delete it
                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Used to go up and to do 'fight for your right' with a local band called the hooks back in the day( cant sing for shite but can do the shouty/rappy thing really well), anyways they left for San Fran 8 years ago and have had some success over there .They're doing their homecoming gig tonight in town.

Sold out already, they've asked me to come up and do the beasties again, so gonna give it socks for the boys and MCA

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                                                                                                              van Persie is shite - knew i should have dumped him out of my team , cpt as well FFS
                                                                                                              ty RVP

Comment

Fcuking choking Norwich cnuts.

Comment

Get fucking in thereeeeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by D3kka View Post
                                                                                                                    ty RVP
                                                                                                                    And again. VWP Full of it

Comment

Gods. Gods I tells ya. I always said it. Didn't I say just there Ted?

Comment

odds in-play for Arsenal-Norwich seem strange - correct score Arsenal to win 3-2 is 4/1; score sheet not to change and Norwich to win 2-1 is 13/1. Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole obv, but that seems like strange pricing?
                                                                                                                        was about to quote saying bookies know best, great game now so tis!!

edit: OMFG lol
                                                                                                                        Last edited by mdoug; 05-05-12, 13:34.
                                                                                                                        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

How the fck can that not be a penalty?? He taps it in the net if he's not touched. ffs

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X