X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by JWillo1 View Post
      Anyone heading to this? Im a complete noob with horse racing and could do with a few tips
      Although I'm mostly going for the novelty factor, for some reason I dont think 5k students , shit loads of booze and gambling is going to mix well!
      I can't go anyway! If your going for the joy of racing- avoid, card is pretty poor and even at that it would be hard to enjoy among that crowd. If your going for a decent piss up and potentially some easy action I'd imagine there wouldn't be too many better places to go on a Wednesday evening.
      Profit before people.

Comment

It's really sad to think that there's some people out there that would kick someone to death just for a buzz. Animals

Local News from Dublin with Independent.ie. Get local Sport, Entertainment, Business & Lifestyle news for Dublin City, North and South Dublin.

Comment

Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
            It's really sad to think that there's some people out there that would kick someone to death just for a buzz. Animals

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/we-...r-3061956.html
            Disgusting business altogether. The quotes from them in that article are shocking too, they should be locked up indefinitely without release.
            . .

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
              I read up on this Hunger Games malarkey when I heard about it for the 1st time ever about 2 weeks ago. The author only heard of Battle Royale when half way thru writing the series. I find it hard to believe but haven't read the books in fairness. The film just sounds like a battle royale rip off tho, might have a gander at the books before viewing
              I read the books earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed them, I've never read or watched any of the Twilight stuff so I can't compare the two, so I can only hope I don't have the literary taste of a 13 year old girl! But I hope they're not equivalent and the target demographic is where the similarities end!! The Hunger Games almost certainly aren't high brow enough for some BBV residents, but IMO they're just a extremely good story, very well told.

In relation to the film, I'd actually be interested in hearing what people, who haven't read the books, thought of it. I went to see it over the weekend, and I thought they left out a massive amount of information and character development and I felt if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't know what was going on or really care about any of the characters, and hence I was wondering what someone who hadn't read the book thought. Although, I suppose the same can be said for all book adaptations.

Comment

Bump

Originally posted by foley View Post
                Bit of a long shot but is there anyone on here that lives close to lower dorset street?
                I am trying to find booking information for Caulfields Hotel but I cant even find a website, if some kind soul could pop in and check for me then PM I would be very thankful.

Regardless I will be playing the Eastern Open.

Thanks
                Bump

Comment

Originally posted by foley View Post
                  Bump
                  why dont you ring them?

19 Lower Dorset Street Dublin 1
                  01 8781550
                  E: caulfieldshotel@eircom.net

you can book here:

Last edited by SatNav; 28-03-12, 08:50.
                  Her sky-ness
                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                    Straight out of Alabama, USA (strangely enough!) I am really excited about this band, they are real southern blues / garage rock. Kinda reminds me of Kings of Leon before they became a bunch of fucking diva's selling out to stadium rock, back when Kings of Leon made amazing albums like Youth and Young Manhood and Aha, Shake, Heartbreak!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPrza6iiCWU
                    cmon, I posted it 3 months ago and you thanked it then!

Comment

Battle Royale with Cheese and Occupy Game street

I despise Bonio more than most but I can't transfer the contempt on to his family, sure it must be handy to have all those doors opening for you and all that money but you still have that sanctimonious hypocrite cnut for a father at the end of the day and thats a bigger burden than most of us have to carry.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

was listening to a very interesting interview last night with Éamon Ó Cuív,when asked with all that has happened with in Fianna Fáil over the past while,is it time for some sort of break-away party,more or less said its up to the grass roots.

watch this space!
                        Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

what is the free version of adobe acrobat?

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                            Acrobat is free. Sumatra pdf is another one though if that floats your boat.

Comment

That sig is way too big. Please use something smaller for everyones benefit.

Comment

If you want to read PDFs then acrobat reader. If you want to create PDFs get CutePDF from the ninite website (it installs as a printer).
                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                  That sig is way too big. Please use something smaller for everyones benefit.
                                  happy now?

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

thought for the day

Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Comment

New Sigur Rós song here, I think it's fucking unbelievable but I may be biased by the fact that I think everything they do is fucking unbelievable, it's a beautiful day and I'm about to hop out of bet to pack a bag to head home, collect my old man and drive us to the airport for a few days in Spain

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                        acrobat reader is free,
                                        i want to create pdf files

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          I despise Bonio more than most but I can't transfer the contempt on to his family, sure it must be handy to have all those doors opening for you and all that money but you still have that sanctimonious hypocrite cnut for a father at the end of the day and thats a bigger burden than most of us have to carry.
                                          I agree but singers daughters such as Peaches Geldof and Kelly Osbourne have me worried as to what nonsense will turn up.

On the good side I guess I didn't even know he had kids before this so I guess they cant be too badly raised or the press would have been all over them.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                            Only acrobat reader is free. But useless for everything else.
                                            +2 for cute PDF

Or acrobat professional from cousins

Comment

England beautifully poised for inevitable collapse. Galle looks likes a good place to watch cricket.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'd say some people are reconsidering their answer to the death penalty question in that quiz that was on here the other day.

Comment

So had a meal in Saagar on Harcourt Street last night, the experience was most satisfactory as usual, but they HAVE to making a loss on this deal, right?

Voucher from Bite A Bargain: €25
                                                  Meal: 2 x Two Course Meal, including Rice or Naan, plus a bottle of wine (a standard 75cl bottle of house white, I'd expect to pay €18 for it in a similar restaurant) and tea / coffee

Even if the restaurant got the full €25, I wouldn't expect them to do more than just cover their costs; if they are only getting €12.50 or €15 from Bite A Bargain, they must be taking a pretty big loss? Since the meal includes a bottle of wine, the most obvious 'upselling' opportunity is lost; I'd expect the vast majority of deal customers to perhaps order an extra Naan or two, maybe a dessert, but not enough to substantially reverse the loss-making appearance of the deal for Saagar.

Please excuse the analysis of this; it was just something I was thinking about on the Luas to work this morning! I think it is worth taking as much advantage of these deals as possible in the medium-term, I just can't see this model of promoting your business and attracting new customers to be very sustainable; if you've been using the deal sites for the past two years, you can definitely see a reduction in the quantity of (and relative quality of) truly outstanding deals.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                    I'd say some people are reconsidering their answer to the death penalty question in that quiz that was on here the other day.
                                                    Nope still in favour for certain incidents. This one counts especially the ring leader who doesn't even seem to be as sorry as the others.

Balls on him trying to plead guilty to manslaughter both premeditated and unprovoked sounds like murder to me and the jury. Can you imagine having to represent that filth.

Barry White I hope will not consider the fact he admitted to it when sending him down for the max allowable time without parole. Cost of keeping them in jail for the duration sickens me when the cost of some rope and scaffold would be a lot cheaper.

Gangland drug murders are one thing and in most cases I am happy to let them kill each other but going after an honest hardworking guy who works with your brothers in front of his girlfriend and not even because you are so desperate you need the money to stay alive.

Truly they are the lowest for of life.

Comment

Just found a cheese string under the couch in Play room, deffo been there weeks maybe months as I havent bought them in ages. It was in perfect condition

Obv fuck all cheese in them, Have to say though, I do love their Ad lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl6LmTVZiIE
                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Just discovered that Webmarshall has got the boot from FáS!!!!!!

Oh poker forum during the day, how I have missed you

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                          its because of people like this that I strongly agreed with death penalty, eye for an eye and all that. If scumbags like these knew that their life was at stake before they started having a buzz then It mightn't have happened and if they still didn't care well they don't deserve to be alive anyway. Also death penalty would create room for crooked politions in the nick.

Comment

Pretty sure somebody has been using my computer. I don't mind as nobody has access to it other than housemates, and/or workmates. I'm just curious as to who and why. (as everyone else has their own PC/laptop I think)

Are there any free keyloggers out there.
                                                            Although, I'm not too sure about the ethical nature of that

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              England beautifully poised for inevitable collapse. Galle looks likes a good place to watch cricket.
                                                              Did you catch our T20 group rivals playing yesterday evening? Both looked prety ordinary imo

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                Pretty sure somebody has been using my computer. I don't mind as nobody has access to it other than housemates, and/or workmates. I'm just curious as to who and why. (as everyone else has their own PC/laptop I think)

Are there any free keyloggers out there.
                                                                Although, I'm not too sure about the ethical nature of that
                                                                Yeah there is. Look on c-net. Although someone I knows laptop got infected after trying to download one.

Can you not put a password on it?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                  Took Tony's laptop in to work today to see about cleaning out the fan as it is unbelievably noisy. You can't hear the TV over it because it is like an aeroplane taking off.

Was shitting myself in case I fkd things up knowing the importance of what he has on it. (He did back up some stuff)

The whole thing wall blocked, no wonder it was running at 95 degrees!
                                                                  Stuck the thermal grease on the processor and chipset and put it back together and ran it on the bench for a few hours with HM running etc and it never went above 40! happy days.

So delighted I managed to do all that on my own and not break it lol.

Will be good to be able to take the laptop to bed to watch a movie which was impossible this last while.
                                                                  It's like having a brand new laptop. I keep having to check and make sure it's working properly because i'm used to it going crazy 24 hours a day! Hopefully it will also help with the battery life aswel seeing as it won't be powering a clogged up fan non-stop

tyty

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                    Did you catch our T20 group rivals playing yesterday evening? Both looked prety ordinary imo
                                                                    ....and the collapse has commenced

no, didn't see it. Australia could well be vulnerable and WI in their usual torpor. Stirling could have a huge tournament.

Comment

It's like having a brand new laptop. I keep having to check and make sure it's working properly because i'm used to it going crazy 24 hours a day! Hopefully it will also help with the battery life aswel seeing as it won't be powering a clogged up fan non-stop

tyty
                                                                      Gillian will have to go back to sitting on the washing machine now that its fixed
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

acrobat reader is free,
                                                                        i want to create pdf files
                                                                        Ecstatic. I don't like being a buzz killington, but I've asked the same of others in the padt when their sigs were way too big as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                          Nope still in favour for certain incidents. This one counts especially the ring leader who doesn't even seem to be as sorry as the others.

Balls on him trying to plead guilty to manslaughter both premeditated and unprovoked sounds like murder to me and the jury. Can you imagine having to represent that filth.

Barry White I hope will not consider the fact he admitted to it when sending him down for the max allowable time without parole. Cost of keeping them in jail for the duration sickens me when the cost of some rope and scaffold would be a lot cheaper.

Gangland drug murders are one thing and in most cases I am happy to let them kill each other but going after an honest hardworking guy who works with your brothers in front of his girlfriend and not even because you are so desperate you need the money to stay alive.

Truly they are the lowest for of life.
                                                                          I believe that academic research has shown that the cost of putting through a execution sentence actually outweighs the cost of giving a 'life means life" sentence, as the judicial system gets clogged up as appeals are constantly put in etc.

That kind of senseless barbarity shocks me. How anyone could see that as fun is beyond me..
                                                                          I think a deal should be struck with some south american hell hole where by we can send our worst to their prisons.... Show them what a real hard time is like.
                                                                          Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

tyty
                                                                            Yeah that would help a little bit but I would safely say your battery is just fkd and if you want a new one to get it. Maybe it will last a bit longer than 20 mins which is pretty bad for a 2 year old laptop. That Toshiba was 5 year old when the battery got that bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                                                                              its because of people like this that I strongly agreed with death penalty, eye for an eye and all that. If scumbags like these knew that their life was at stake before they started having a buzz then It mightn't have happened and if they still didn't care well they don't deserve to be alive anyway. Also death penalty would create room for crooked politions in the nick.
                                                                              I'm not so sure a death penalty would be much of a deterrent; young men (like these) think they'll get away with whatever they are up to, punishment isn't a real deterrent.

I guess it is why, although I hope for and believe in rehabilitation for the majority of criminals, I haven't made up my mind about use of the death penalty for those I would consider truly beyond rehabilitation (i.e. 50+ offences, unrepentant after kicking an innocent man to death); for me, the swift use of the death penalty in such a case could be attractive from number of standpoints:

- Protects society by permanently removing a danger to it (but maybe the very existence of the death penalty is dangerous to a society; it might weaken the taboo against extreme violence, thereby putting all of us at greater risk)
                                                                              - Punitive (though as stated above, I don't really believe punitive measures serve as much deterrent, if at all; maybe punishment for punishment's sake is a good enough reason?)
                                                                              - Financially attractive for the taxpayers (only on the assumption that the process can be concluded quickly, which is highly unlikely, everyone deserves time to appeal and resources to do so), compared to jailing someone for years and in all likelihood, having to arrest them, try them and jail them again in the future multiple times, given they will be so unrepentant and institutionalised that rehabilitation is merely a pipe-dream

On the surface, the death penalty isn't really an option, given the caveats mentioned above.

Prevention is better than cure, cheaper as well, we just need to work out what to do to ensure that people don't grow up to become petty criminals, then lifelong criminals, and possibly dangerous psychopaths who threaten society. At the same time, we need to work out what to do about people who are unrepentant and irredeemable (that word will be abhorrent to some of us, but I personally believe it is possible to cross a line over which there is no coming back. Maybe I've little faith in enduring humanity) - is the present system good enough?

Comment

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                  Yeah there is. Look on c-net. Although someone I knows laptop got infected after trying to download one.

Can you not put a password on it?
                                                                                  I could. But I'm a bit curious at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                    is the present system good enough?
                                                                                    There are so few cases that are as cut a dried as this one. Eye witness, blood on the guys shoes who danced on his heads shoes, co-accused admitting to it.

The unprovoked and premeditated nature of what they did even if it got out of hand and the fact that it was for no reason on a productive and from what it sounds like decent member of society. I am also disgusted that the main guy has not shown remorse like the others.

Can he be rehabilitated, not if he is not disgusted by his own actions and in this case he does not really seem to care. Badge of honour type setup. Also eye for eye would suggest that 3 of the Polish lads mates would get to jump and kick him to death in front of his loved ones.

Are we obliged to accept this guy back in to society once he has served his term at our expense. He will be away for a long time so the chances of him ever being productive are slim so we will continue paying for him until he dies be it in jail or out.

Social responsibility is one thing and this is another. Even when the world was a much more brutal place. Classical times, medieval when ever you want this would have been unacceptable and he would not have been allowed reenter society. Why now that we are more civilised should we share and live with someone who would be unaccepted by our brutal ancestors.

Comment

Listen to the woman telling cameraman to stay away "leave him alone hes been through enough" and then him looking for another fight .......bottom of gene pool scum

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MidWe...17622831832879
                                                                                      http://mayopubpoker.com/

Comment

...

Comment

Scumbags.

Friend just rang me from the Luas, three young lads (13/14) were sitting next to an elderly lady and spitting on the ground and throwing rubbish around. He told them to cop on and show some respect and one lad told him he would put a rock through his head or have him shot. They kept asking my mate to get off at the next stop to sort it out. I wouldn't mind but he is a big bastard.

He rang me and asked me to meet him at last stop, making sure they overheard him. they got off on 2nd last stop (obv knew I would go all ninja on them ).

Cant help but think thought that we could be reading about them in a few years time.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                            ....and the collapse has commenced

no, didn't see it. Australia could well be vulnerable and WI in their usual torpor. Stirling could have a huge tournament.
                                                                                            You guys might have good reason for hope but the rise of hope no matter what is why I love a good underdog sports story. Especially when it's an Irish underdog.

Btw it sounds like you had a good night last night Señor Duke. I presume you are on the piss on Thursday as you are heading home Friday? I look forward to the posting!
                                                                                            Last edited by V for Vendetta; 28-03-12, 10:54.
                                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                              Ecstatic. I don't like being a buzz killington, but I've asked the same of others in the padt when their sigs were way too big as well.
                                                                                              Erroneous. You are Mr Buzz Killington, except when Lolerpool get stuffed at soccerball, then your tremendous fun

Comment

Anyone have a suitable video camera they could lend us for the Irish Open next Friday? I'm on duty with the live update crew and would like to do some roving interviews and upload them to youtube on the fly. Just need it for the day. Mucho appreciado!

Comment

Originally posted by greywolf View Post
                                                                                                  Listen to the woman telling cameraman to stay away "leave him alone hes been through enough" and then him looking for another fight .......bottom of gene pool scum

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0326/rzeszutkol.html
                                                                                                  He's been through enough already

The sense of entitlement that scummers have is unreal. Is it any wonder though when you look at the thinking of the people who their communities elect to represent them.

I heard a Shinner on the radio this morning comparing himself to Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela for not paying the Property tax that Sinn Fein have campaigned since the 1960's for. He then spent five minutes saying people should vote against the Euro Treaty and point blank refused to answer the question of where he would get the money to run the country from when the ESF stopped funding us!
                                                                                                  Alice in wonderland politics, convince people that they can do whatever they like, no need to pay for anything, no need to take responsibility for anything.
                                                                                                  Sickening.
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

A guy from the local, a true out and out porterhead, announced with great pride that he is going to climb Kilimanjaro. "Fair play!" I said to him with great admiration.

So I asked him is he doing any preparation or training work. "No" he quips. "Well not really. Just drinking 3 nights a week now instead of 7. Trying to save a few bob also for the trip ya'know."

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                      Btw it sounds like you had a good night last night Señor Duke. I presume you are on the piss on Thursday as you are heading home Friday? I look forward to the posting!
                                                                                                      Not home until Friday evening so the major pissup will be tomorrow night. We are going here, given that it'll be a South African crew I am hopeful of good steak.
                                                                                                      After reading this, I'll definitely be swerving the 'USDA corn fed' muck (the book is terrifying on this) and going for the Irish or Scottish grass-fed.

Now to locate a suitable establishment for tonight's festivities.

Comment

Alice in wonderland politics, convince people that they can do whatever they like, no need to pay for anything, no need to take responsibility for anything.
                                                                                                        Sickening.
                                                                                                        worked for Bertie

Comment

Originally posted by greywolf View Post

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0326/rzeszutkol.html
                                                                                                          and to think you need a licence for a dog,wonder how long they will last up in the joy if he turns that quickly......maybe Arbour Hill is the place for them
                                                                                                          Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                                                                                                              You only have to look at the shining beacon that is the U.S. criminal justice system to see why the death penalty and the threat of it are complete and utter failures.
                                                                                                              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

He's been through enough already

The sense of entitlement that scummers have is unreal. Is it any wonder though when you look at the thinking of the people who their communities elect to represent them.

I heard a Shinner on the radio this morning comparing himself to Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela for not paying the Property tax that Sinn Fein have campaigned since the 1960's for. He then spent five minutes saying people should vote against the Euro Treaty and point blank refused to answer the question of where he would get the money to run the country from when the ESF stopped funding us!
                                                                                                                Sickening.

Not a shinners by any means in fact I think their policies for the most part are madcap.

That said in working class areas of Dublin they are the only party who generally put a lot of work into the constituency, that's why they are well supported there imo

Comment

...

Comment

@Kev, you stayed in the Gibson last week kev didnt you ? Recomend it ?
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                                      Good article here on food labelling:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...69.html?via=mr
                                                                                                                      It is ridiculous what the food manufacturers get up to. It's a real case of blatantly pulling the wool over the consumers eyes. It's all about perception.
                                                                                                                      Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                                        That book looks excellent!
                                                                                                                        well worth a read

He went to Texas, France, Italy, Scotland, Japan and Argentina. And maybe somewhere else that escapes me. I thought South Africa was a glaring omission. He then went home and raised a couple of organic cows himself.

Wagyu beef sounds amazing

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X