X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
    Level?

It's really bad. No cohesion, investigation, or any kind of plot. It's just crazy pikeys fighting, the filmmaker doesn't really get across any facts, opinion, or anything remotely interesting.

It's a documentary for the Big Fat Gypsy Wedding generation. Lot's of crazy pikey's kicking the shit out of each other but absolutely no redeeming features that make it a decent piece of film. If anything it's worse than BFGW as at least I'm somewhat confident they are taking the piss.
    Was interesting nonetheless given the lack of coverage of the subject matter - you know this stuff goes on, but have seen or heard very little from those involved in it.

A missed opportunity though. The nature of the subject matter and characters involved means that a better film-maker could have made an oscar winning documentary out of it tbh.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
      Melbas!
      It was in Dooleys Hotel, same place i think is it

Comment

Originally posted by Electra Blue View Post
        I agree - some of the jokes here are below the belt. I am hooked to the programme, and find their verbal attacks on each other hilarious - but my stomach is turning just watching them fight. Big Joe fighting as a 60 year old is just sick.

We had a settled family near us for years, really decent people and they got a lot of intimidation and grief over the years not just from mainstream society but from the non-settled travellers, who saw them as soft target to get back at extended family members. We used to feel sorry for them. My 14 year old son just asked if this was a 'made-up drama' as he has travellers in his school and "they don't act like that mam..."

I strongly believe this is just a minority group of travellers we are seeing here.
        I went to school in Tuam and I can safely say from experience that this is not the minority, but rather an accurate portrayal of the majority.

Comment

Danny Dyer did a similar documentry in England, thought he showed better interviewing skills which probably says a lot about the Irish guy.
          Profit before people.

Comment

Rented a car from Hertz over the weekend. Cost $215
            It was on debit card, so they put a $100 hold fee on the card while it was rented, thats fine.
            Dropped it back this morning, I said I'd be back at 9am, and I ended up back at 9.15am

They've wacked on an extra set of fees, bump the price up to $315 or so. Looks like they are charging me a full days rental, reg, and insurance for 15 mins. Feel proper screwed ovver.

I'm complaining to customer care, chances of getting this sorted?
            Any chance I can block them charging the fee to the card, adn i haven't signed or pinned for the extra fee

Comment

Loving the golf commentary just there

"Tim Tebow moment could be in the offing"

Class.
              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOWWWWWWW

Sorry

PHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Comment

Mickelson is just pure box office. Class.

Comment

Mickleson just holed a raker to force the playoff in the northern trust...sooper putt philip....bradley just matched him..3 way playoff...

Comment

Phil is Box Office

Comment

All the talk of this knuckles film its downloaded and im gona watch it...stay tuned.
                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                          Used to work in Chartbusters down in Clondalkin and the abuse we used to get from Travellers was ridiculous. Generally the men/women from 15-30 where awful to deal with. The older ones who came in looking for 'any true life movies ' were all fine and bang on. It seems that the younger members of the community I dealt with had a huge chip on their shoulder. They openly robbed from the store and some of the things the women did in the tanning booths was off the wall.

Had never had any interaction with travellers before that job really but the majority I dealt with in there were pretty intimidating and have very few good experience of them from that
                          Such as...?
                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Credit to Bradley too making the putt after all the commotion from Mickelson's one.

Comment

Serious end to the golf here. Great final hole from Keegan. Great drive, great approach and alot of balls to hole out after Phil. Hes a top class competitor, will be around for along time.

Comment

Hypocrisy of the highest order tonight

Especially from people who condemned Suarez as a racist last week

Comment

Level?

It's really bad. No cohesion, investigation, or any kind of plot. It's just crazy pikeys fighting, the filmmaker doesn't really get across any facts, opinion, or anything remotely interesting..
                                  It's a documentary for the Big Fat Gypsy Wedding generation. Lot's of crazy pikey's kicking the shit out of each other but absolutely no redeeming features that make it a decent piece of film. If anything it's worse than BFGW as at least I'm somewhat confident they are taking the piss.
                                  From what I know of the film and the filmmaker, it was certainly not in the filmmakers mind in the least to make a documentary at the time of him even filming interviews. I'd say there was quite a few paper envelopes being handed around.

It became a natural thing for him to film fights and splice them together. As mentioned in the doc, his footage was even used for deciding fights, showing they were fair.

Documentaries dont have to have the things you listed in them at all. There are 1000 different styles of documentary.

I saw "Knuckle" as nothing more than a portrait of what Irish Bare Knuckle Boxing was and IS. Its nothing more and nothing less. Its a fantastic piece of work and can be viewed more as a portrait then a dramatic piece. There was plenty of facts given. I dont think he cared for opinion, he was just portraying them. Its an insight into WHY travelers used fight..and it certainly shows that.

The number of award nominations the documentary has picked up just shows what a nice piece it is.

If you think a documentary needs the things you mentioned above you should check out some of Ken Wardrops work. Ken did a few lectures with me and my class and not one of his documentaries gave me insightful details into a subject. They were artistic portrayals of different things around us, everyday.

/rant over.
                                  Last edited by A_CitizenErased; 19-02-12, 23:55.

Comment

I have been reading over the debate on Boards about Sean Sherlock's internet regulations and I just had to laugh. They won't change a thing as far as I can see. Storm in a teacup of the highest order.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Jesus this is some golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                            Jesus this is some golf.
                                            Are they just replaying the 18th til is gets sorted? obv not, they are at the 10th now

Watching Once Upon A Time in Anatolia at the mo, good film

Comment

Everyone bottling it!!

Comment

Phil gonna Phil here imo.

Comment

Southern Comfort is on BBC2 in a few minutes. Hell of a film.

Comment

Bill Haas. Wow

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
                                                      Especially from people who condemned Suarez as a racist last week
                                                      especially when some of the language used to describe him was dirty rat faced racist cunt, disgusting cretin etc

with regards to the travellers, my cousins had their quad bike stolen a few years ago, uncle knew it was the travellers as he had refused to let them onto his land and had problems with them. anyway week or two goes by and cant find it, puts an add in the buy and sell, offers reward etc.

gets a call back one sunday night, fierce thick traveller accent in his words, gets really excited about it, traveller describes it, yes yes thats it then the traveller goes,

"I am just calling to say its running great"

Comment

Dude rolling down the hill is awesome

Comment

Out of the 200K on Paddy in 43rd for $666

More this than this at the mo tbh

AK no good against 77
                                                          (he had me well covered)

still; went out swinging and I did sat in for $6

*& That's the end of that night

Out of the Sunday Million with $500

Went out with a bit of a wimper after shove botting from 2000 players into 400's

Not a bad night all things considered
                                                          Last edited by Guest; 20-02-12, 01:36. Reason: *

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                            Out of the 200K on Paddy in 43rd for $666

More this than this at the mo tbh

AK no good against 77
                                                            (he had me well covered)

still; went out swinging and I did sat in for $6
                                                            Still in it, but <10bbs... Tough old slog! Card death!

Comment

Got a double up... 21/32

Could potentially make a profit today.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                                                                Got a double up... 21/32

Could potentially make a profit today.. lol
                                                                whats your screen name?
                                                                "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." - Stephen Hawking

Comment

Dude rolling down the hill is awesome

AccessDeniedAccess denied
                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I enjoyed the film, it entertained me, always a good thing.

Dont know what C kid is on about tbh, as docs go it was fascinating, showed an insight into an undergound, not everyday life really well.

As for the story, I can understand why they fight, who know, maybe at the end of the day its the most peaceful way of sorting arguments, its just the arguments seem to spur the fights rather than the fights finish the arguments.
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ελέφαντας View Post
                                                                      whats your screen name?

Going well in the 25k gtd and 3 tables out in the 20k gtd as well

Comment

The Zod chap likes a rant!
                                                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                          The Zod chap likes a rant!
                                                                          Cant blame the guy, the team he supports is getting a bashing, he was in great form before that what with his kung fu medals and shit !
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

24012008

Going well in the 25k gtd and 3 tables out in the 20k gtd as well
                                                                            Impressive run tonight, glgl

You're not playing on Genting by any chance are you? Joe Beevers is the bounty and you get 10k if you bust him!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                              Impressive run tonight, glgl

You're not playing on Genting by any chance are you? Joe Beevers is the bounty and you get 10k if you bust him!
                                                                              Thanks.. Nah, Boyles all the way.. Yeah, was looking like it was gonna be a bit of a washout earlier, was playing a shitload of tournaments and donking out of all of them.. Hopefully will get a nice return in one of them. The 200k is kinda my bogey tournament so nice to get a run in it for once!

Comment

Kevin and eamon might be organisig a date...
                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                  Kevin and eamon might be organisig a date...
                                                                                  LOL.. He's freaking me out a bit... Wish I'd made up a name now..

Comment

Its Ok M8....im sure he will be gentle...lol
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Last payjump before the FT out of the way... 11/12, but been grinding the short stack for hours.. GL me!

Comment

Thanks.. Nah, Boyles all the way.. Yeah, was looking like it was gonna be a bit of a washout earlier, was playing a shitload of tournaments and donking out of all of them.. Hopefully will get a nice return in one of them. The 200k is kinda my bogey tournament so nice to get a run in it for once!
                                                                                        Still playing very well KK, keep it going. Nice recovery after losing with the 44. TID!

I'm 3/104 in the 30k on Stars so staying with you for a bit!

Comment

Still playing very well KK, keep it going. Nice recovery after losing with the 44. TID!

Going well glglgl

lol good timing

Comment

Thanks.. Yeah, was a bad flip to lose, but been nitting it up for ages now. Any time I got it in marginally ahead I've held, which is nice.. Lost a flip and with AQ v AJ all in pre in the 25k, but still in that too. GL to you too!

Comment

Haa having a rail here myself and wondering what the hell was going on in that chatbox. Could be something like Catfish

Comment

Ohh and GL take her down

Comment

Get in KK!!

Comment

Got a nice double up in the 25k.. 10/20... Pretty sick that I'm not paying that much attention!

Sweet! Double up in the 200k too! 5/10!

Oh, and over 1 mirrion!

Comment

Damn... Couldn't hold there... That guy's so spewy!

Comment

OMG that was so fkkin sick

Comment

LOL... K9 v A6 bvb.. Board runs out 939 A A So close to FT!

Comment

Must be nice to be the chippy and call a raise and a shove with K7 That other Irish chap at your table is playing very strangely also, doubles up to about 14 bigs then min open folds to shove very next hand lol

must go to bed gl to you and KK

Comment

Sick... I run bad

Comment

Thats so ul Kev, really gutted for you!

Comment

2 sick beats there especially the aq<a10. Very very UL. Feel a bit sick myself.

Wp on the deep run and vul

Comment

Cheers.. Fucking bad time to run bad... Flopping trips and getting runner runnered, AQ<A10 and then AK <J5 on the river. Pretty gutting alright.. If any of those held I would've been flying... Thanks for the rail!

Comment

WOOT WOOT they were suited baby.... back to back hands cant win em all

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                                                                        WOOT WOOT they were suited baby.... back to back hands cant win em all
                                                                                                                        Sweetness! Was going to shove pre because it was a sexy spot but took a flop instead, and what a flop! Shame i didn't hit v the Kingers, would have been chippie and coasting!

Comment

I ran spybot and malwarebytes. Still seeing these adverts:

Anyone any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X