X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
      ... Emergence is something that I have never quite "got".
      Read E.O. Wilson on the Evolution of Ants and you will get Emergence. He's a great writer and is very readable.
      Journey to the Ants

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
        You are scary good at bbving UC every week
        Mostly since QF's started I was nailing them in the first round, UCL were miles ahead and just went to sleep there.

WTF is that yer man has around his neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
          I'm going to completely derail now.
          I went to a poker festival this weekend, Friday, Saturday and back up Sunday . It was the first time I didn't drink at one

I had such a laugh, obv don't need to drink. Think some people were quite shocked by the fact
          So that wasn't a bottle of Corona in your hand
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by MrPillowTalk View Post
            Friday night lights is very good, I read "the football men" recently and thought it was very good real insight into the minds of footballers.
            im bout half way through season 3 its been excellent so far

Comment

interview done. went ok, no bad questions, don't think I gave a bad answer.

Lets see if I get the second round of interviews.
              Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                So that wasn't a bottle of Corona in your hand
                when i arrived friday evening, I ordered one to relax me before I played main event, that was it though.

You of all people know how well behaved and quite I was all weekend
                Her sky-ness
                © 5starpool

Comment

Friday night lights is very good, I read "the football men" recently and thought it was very good real insight into the minds of footballers.
                  this the one?

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                    when i arrived friday evening, I ordered one to relax me before I played main event, that was it though.

You of all people know how well behaved and quite I was all weekend
                    LOL SatNav.

Comment

LOL SatNav.
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

A TV in the shower eh? Of course
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Kinda not safe for work

SPOILER

Comment

have a meeting with the head of Colombian Rugby tomorrow. Presume its about me being allowed to coach the select side but the national squad had try outs this weekend just gone so squad will be confirmed today I think. Presuming the coaching staff is in place at this stage but one time they have a position still open and who knows maybe I can blag my way onto that

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by tonc76 View Post
                                That's the one aye

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                  Really hope they don't expand too much more as they've ruined the UK cinema experience and would just do the same here if they get some dominance.
                                  Lol I'd give it less than 6 months. Almost everything around the Point ( other than the Point itself) is such a monument to the Celtic Tiger. Ever been in that ridiculous hotel down there? You have to travel up something like 5 escalators just to get to the reception

Glad to see the lighthouse is open again. And from what little I know of Element Pictures, it's in good hands.
                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

That's the one aye
                                    Nice one thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                      Interesting program on RTE1 about Colm Murray and his battle with Motor Neurone Disease. Have had the pleasure of his company many times and it's kinda upsetting to watch how much he has been affected. When I was younger I used to do the church gate collection for the IMNDA. Happy to say that because of all of this I am announcing a decent sized fundraising effort for the IMNDA in Leopardstown on Saturday. It will be a Cheltenham preview night held in the Leopardstown pavilion on Wednesday March 7th. We have set a fundraising target of €20,000 but obviously hope to get much more.
                                      Watching it now, harrowing to think how much he has regressed in the 1.5-2 years he has had it. Very worthy cause Noel.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                        Watching it now, harrowing to think how much he has regressed in the 1.5-2 years he has had it. Very worthy cause Noel.
                                        Saw when he was on the late late and his speech was slightly affected its a horrible disease and an absolutelty brutal cruel way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                          Saw when he was on the late late and his speech was slightly affected its a horrible disease and an absolutelty brutal cruel way to go.
                                          I actually only watched that for the first time the other day on youtube, the difference is scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                            Saying that you are good at MTT's when you want to be means that you are often bad at them, but that that's ok because you in those circumstances you don't want to be good at them. This is a common justification used by poker players to explain bad results, when in fact variance and poor play have much more to do with it.
                                            Dunning-Kruger effect.
                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Late reg coming to ipoker..

The iPoker network is updating their software, beginning with Titan Poker. PokerStrategists playing at William Hill, Titan Poker, Poker 770, bet365, Paddy

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                I actually only watched that for the first time the other day on youtube, the difference is scary.
                                                It seems its a snowball effect really.
                                                Never going to get better whatever about losing the use of ones body
                                                i was on crutches for
                                                10 weeks felt helpless and frustrated
                                                losing the mind even my feeble one would be horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Morihei View Post
                                                  A man who embraces Coronation Street is a man who has taken his first step on the road to a very slow death.
                                                  Everyone on this forum is walking the same road.

The ones with Coronation Street in their hearts enjoy the journey more.
                                                  Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

ugh - suppose they're the only ones left with money, but really despise Odeon cinemas. Such a corporate cinema with any good seats being 'premier' seats and tickets too expensive. Last time was there did what most people do and just sit in the Premier seats without paying; but these are just what other cinemas call ordinary seats. Legroom is crap too; actually uncomfortable.

Really hope they don't expand too much more as they've ruined the UK cinema experience and would just do the same here if they get some dominance.
                                                    Have no real idea of what they are about, just wanna go to an IMAX and see what all the fuss is about, I really like Cineworld over here but have no idea of what they are like in the UK other than they are a chain.

As for those premier seats some of the cinemas over here do them they seem the same from what people say.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                      Everyone on this forum is walking the same road.

The ones with Coronation Street in their hearts enjoy the journey more.
                                                      8000 Jacques

Hi,

Just new to the forum after the banter in Clane with Danny and the King at the weekend. Just getting used to this
                                                      Loads of lovely ribs!!!

Comment

BBC 1 now is gonna be brill!!!
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharibs View Post
                                                          8000 Jacques

Hi,

Just new to the forum after the banter in Clane with Danny and the King at the weekend. Just getting used to this
                                                          Lol.

Fml,who left you in here?

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                            interview done. went ok, no bad questions, don't think I gave a bad answer.

Lets see if I get the second round of interviews.
                                                            glgl

On this, did an interview last Friday week and was informed at it that there would be a second round of interviews if made it thru (which surprised me given the job it is). Anywho, have not heard back and pretty sure it should have been by Friday gone. Is it standard to ring them up to find out what the story is on this? I'd be pretty surprised if didnt make the 2nd round given I used to do the same job a few years ago.

Comment

ugh - suppose they're the only ones left with money, but really despise Odeon cinemas. Such a corporate cinema with any good seats being 'premier' seats and tickets too expensive. Last time was there did what most people do and just sit in the Premier seats without paying; but these are just what other cinemas call ordinary seats. Legroom is crap too; actually uncomfortable.

lol I applied for a job in there, if I ever get it you are barred

Comment

glgl

On this, did an interview last Friday week and was informed at it that there would be a second round of interviews if made it thru (which surprised me given the job it is). Anywho, have not heard back and pretty sure it should have been by Friday gone. Is it standard to ring them up to find out what the story is on this? I'd be pretty surprised if didnt make the 2nd round given I used to do the same job a few years ago.
                                                                Nothing wrong with ringing to find out where you are at all.

Comment

Lol.

Fml,who left you in here?
                                                                  i'm just going to love tormenting you ! loads of lovely torments
                                                                  Loads of lovely ribs!!!

Comment

In their comfy shoes and their polyester slacks, they're reading the map upside-down.

Comment

Comment

Predator starting on Film4 now, suppose will watch this for the gazillionth time

Comment

Predator starting on Film4 now, suppose will watch this for the gazillionth time

GET TWO DA CHOPPA!!

Comment

GET TWO DA CHOPPA!!
                                                                            DILLLLLONNNN, you son of a bitch. So many excellent quotes

Comment

KILL ME! WAT AW U WAITING FAH?

Comment

Invisibility suit in the early stages of becoming reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD83dqSfC0Y

Comment

They mostly come at night... mostly

: )

Comment

You hurt?
                                                                                    ...I ain't got time to bleed

Epic film making, Statham is the only one keeping the spirit of the classic nonsense action movies alive today...
                                                                                    "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

8000 Jacques

Hi,

FU

I came up with he name ffs
                                                                                      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

8000 Jacques

Hi,

Welcome crazy woman was nice meeting you at the weekend, think you will like it around here.

What a movie

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
                                                                                        FU

I came up with he name ffs
                                                                                        Eh I think you are mistaken it was me who came up with it.
                                                                                        Last edited by tylerdurden94; 23-01-12, 23:48.

Comment

Watching recording MND "The inside track" on RTE 1 about Colm Murray and his illness and coping with Motor Nuron Disease - inspirational, I haven't seen such an honest documentary on RTE in such a long time... I'm actually feeling a bit emotional...... such a strong man
                                                                                          Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Eh I think you are mistaken it was me who came up with it.
                                                                                            I remember differently but you can have it, I'll always have JackKingOff
                                                                                            Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                              Read E.O. Wilson on the Evolution of Ants and you will get Emergence. He's a great writer and is very readable.
                                                                                              Journey to the Ants
                                                                                              I've been a fan of EO Wilson for a long time, since reading his book Sociobiology. Saw him give a lecture in Trinity once.

The work he did investigating and explaining the emergence of function in ants was used in part by the guy I mentioned, Murray Bowen, in accounting for being constituted into a functioning position by the needs of the system within human families.

I spent the Christmas reading Bowen's systemic approach and found it quite a radical perspective. I, like most, am used to seeing myself and others as individuals. While tipping the hat to social and cultural influences, and acknowledging the sense of some applications of postmodern social constructionist epistemology, I still thought of individuals. When I analyse a person it is an intrapsychic analysis.

But a systemic analysis such as Bowen's views the extended family as the emotional unit of analysis, not the individual. So just as genetically identical ants can have the expression of their genes shaped by the required extant functioning needs of the colony, and thus become workers or soldiers etc., so too human beings.

The idea is that you cannot understand the functioning of a person abstracted from considering the overall functioning of their family of origin. Did their mother or father relate to them in particular ways and thus require them to be a certain way to facilitate that? Did you get born into a functioning position such as the troublemaker or the pacifier by virtue of the positions taken up by your parents in their historical family relationships?

Bowen's family therapy was based on understanding not individuals, but families, as the emotional field. And so if one wanted to change the individual one had to change the family system.

Again I appreciate that this is tl;dr for most, but there are a lot of fascinating aspects of this systemic perspective, particularly as we have such an individualistic narrative in Western cultural these days.

Now Bowen applied this thinking to organisations too. So, the BBV. Do we need Sickpuppy to function as he sometimes does. Do we "create" the functioning position of "a trouble maker" for someone to fulfil. And if one person leaves, is banned, stops functioning in that role then does someone else, in a sense, "have" to fill that functioning position? What would our history suggest?

Comment

Jesus, wtf is going on in here lately

Comment

...

Comment

hmm interesting hotspur. I'd say posters can create their own roles, but there will be standard roles that need to be filled.
                                                                                                    Yeah, I mostly don't buy it at the level of online forum community, but then no-one has ever tried to sell it. But the more I have thought about it in respect of my own extended family the more illuminated I have been, especially in respect of triangles -

Comment

We should not be taking this internet thing too serious, that's what the real world is for imo.

First night back on nights, ugh, not looking forward to the crap sleep tomorrow.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

anyone have an idea on how long the backlog is on social insurance fund payouts for redundancy is at the moment?
                                                                                                        http://mobro.co/zuroph
                                                                                                        donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Superbad on Sonytv(sky channel 157) classic flick.

Comment

I play very few mtt's these days so nice to hit some rungood at the business end...Back to Husng's tomorrow night!

Last edited by sgtbilko77; 24-01-12, 14:50.

Comment

...

Comment

What's your schedule like - something like two weeks on nights and two weeks on days?

Chatting to the brother today and he was saying that due to his holiday at begin January he has total of 15 holiday days left in the year with about 8 needed for exam prep. That's some scary stuff to be thinking about in January
                                                                                                                4 weeks of days then 4 weeks of nights, 12hr shifts, 5 out of 7 days this week then 2 out of 7 next week.

M T W T F S S
                                                                                                                o x x o o x x
                                                                                                                M T W T F S S
                                                                                                                x o o x x o o

Rinse and repeat, 12th year in the job and still not used to nights, takes about 2-3 weeks to get a sleeping pattern going, and im convinced it just takes my body 2-3 weeks to become so wrecked i sleep during the day.

The time off during the week comes in handy, very forgiving for a functioning alcoholic...lol
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Opinions folks on Grooveshark vs LastFM? Have reduced space on my harddrive so a good functioning service like one or the two mentioned would be sweet, have been looking at them and I like the look of GS better, I know there was a thread about that here awhile back would like to hear from those folks who used it, any help appreciated

Comment

Fellow Tebow fans, I just watched this. Its about the time between when he left college and got drafted. You need Veoh player to watch it, if you don't have it you just get a five minute preview.

'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Anyone on 02 bill pay know if it is possible to freeze your contract?

Going to OZ and will have about 12 months left

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                                                                          Anyone on 02 bill pay know if it is possible to freeze your contract?

Going to OZ and will have about 12 months left
                                                                                                                          You can freeze a contract with most providers, but i'm not sure what the max time is. how long are you in Oz for.
                                                                                                                          Also, its not free. you'll have to pay a small each per month.

imo its a bad idea

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X