This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iago View Post
    If United get to the final and Barcelona meet them there I don't think it would be any more daunting than playing Madrid tbh.
    what.the.fuck?

another crazy man
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Offered a ticket for tommorows heino cup semi for free still feel sick after watching my own club lose a leinster cup final
      to a last minute penalty againest the gardai who are 3 divisons ahead of us never seen a maori copper

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        what.the.fuck?

another crazy man
        One off game in Wembley United can win no problem. Backing United that night will be the value.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
          One off game in Wembley United can win no problem. Backing United that night will be the value.
          it was the statement that Barca are no more daunting than Real Madrid that really flabbergasted me

Barca are demonstrably superior, not even the most deranged Madridista could argue that

of course MU could win a once-off; personally I think they'll be comfortably beaten

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambo View Post
            shoot their star player with laser beams!
            imo

Comment

it was the statement that Barca are no more daunting than Real Madrid that really flabbergasted me

Barca are demonstrably superior, not even the most deranged Madridista could argue that

of course MU could win a once-off; personally I think they'll be comfortably beaten
              For why though?

Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Alonso, Ronaldo, Higuain and so on and so forth.

I think both are beatable, I genuinely didn't care or have a preference for which team got through the semi-final. I personally think that United are more geared to beating a Barcelona than they are a Madrid. That doesn't mean they'll win, but I don't think it's any more daunting regardless of which of them comes through.
              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

For why though?

Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Alonso, Ronaldo, Higuain and so on and so forth.

I think both are beatable, I genuinely didn't care or have a preference for which team got through the semi-final. I personally think that United are more geared to beating a Barcelona than they are a Madrid. That doesn't mean they'll win, but I don't think it's any more daunting regardless of which of them comes through.
                OK, so you don't care if you play the greatest team in the world or another crew?

shows admirable confidence if nothing else I suppose. Carry on.

Comment

Manchester United will have shorter odds and a greater chance of victory if Real turn the semi final around. That much is fairly obvious.

Anyone can beat anyone on any given day ofc, and Utd will have close to home advantage. But they will be underdogs, and play the final 1,000 times they'd win less than 500. The same thing can be said about any cup final ever played ever really. Doesn't mean the result is set in stone. I actually think this United team is not given the credit it deserves.
                  "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

OK, so you don't care if you play the greatest team in the world or another crew?

shows admirable confidence if nothing else I suppose. Carry on.
                    Well if they were beaten over two games they would hardly be the greatest team in the world now would they

The point is not "another crew" I'd much rather play Schalke/Blackburn/Stoke (maybe) than Barcelona but the differences between themselves and Madrid in a single game aren't that great.

Also, while there's an element of fanboy about this and I accept United have been relatively poor this season the fact is that if we hold on to win the league and make the CL final that will be 4 domestic leagues in 5 years & 3 European Finals in 4 years.

There's no reason for us not to be confident in getting a result.

Comment

Barca leave huge gaps in the channels. A player like Ashley Young, Robben (or indeed Ronaldo) would be perfectly suited to roaming into the box, switching wings and generally causing them serious headaches whenever the ball is played forward. If you had two players like that you could play with no striker and one on each wing, then isolate Biscuits and Puyol for pace with long balls into the gaps created by their full backs bombing forward all the time.

You could also go with someone like Duff trying to win as many corners and free kicks as possible and nick a goal from a set piece. But as CHD said, you need someone in the middle who can make quality long passes after you win the ball for it to be a reasonable strategy rather than a hopeful punt.
                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

There is nothing between them. Meeting either of them is scary.

Barca play great football and have the GOAT.

Madrid have Mourinho, the future GOAT manager, who has a cracking squad. Which is just as strong as Barca in a CL final.

Comment

There's 8.5 points and a current agg score of 8-2 between them, I'd argue that's not nothing...
                          "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

How do people see United lining up in the final?? It's pretty crazy when you consider that Berbs and Nani, the premier leagues top scorer and assister respectively, probably won't make the starting line up. It's been Fergie's greatest year in charge imo considering how well he's rotated the squad without much internal moaning.
                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                              How do people see United lining up in the final?? It's pretty crazy when you consider that Berbs and Nani, the premier leagues top scorer and assister respectively, probably won't make the starting line up. It's been Fergie's greatest year in charge imo considering how well he's rotated the squad without much internal moaning.
                              It isn't crazy about Berbatov, sure havn't half his goals come in like 5 games against crap sides.

They will go 4-5-1 and probably win the CL. I think they can and will do it unless Messi is on fire and the Barca midfield has a bit of rest leading up to the final.

Comment

They'll probably lineup as they did v Schalke. Nice and compact, plenty of work-rate and pace and creativity upfront. Carricks improved performances and Giggs being Giggs has been a big plus for them in Europe lately, along with Rooneys form and Hernadez.

Barca have a much better team on paper then United but in a one-off game at Wembley United have a great chance.

Comment

lol

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                    You had coffee in Twister Pepper? It's now the nicest in Dublin, mates missus just opened up some late night coffee shop in town, tis doing well I think but I hate the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJIKN0GTpDs
                                    Small world, they're good friends of mine too..

There is nothing between them. Meeting either of them is scary.

Barca play great football and have the GOAT.

Madrid have Mourinho, the future GOAT manager, who has a cracking squad. Which is just as strong as Barca in a CL final.
                                    Personally, I'd much rather United be facing Real than Barca in the Final.

Comment

Are united already in the final?
                                      theres a second leg i thought
                                      doubtful schalke can score 3 in old trafford but not impossible

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                        If we get there, and have a full squad to choose from, I think it looks like.

----------VDS------------

Fabio------Vidic------Ferdinand-------Evra

-------------Carrick-------Fletcher---------

Valencia-----------Giggs------------------Park

---------Rooney-----------

I think Carrick will be a mistake but Fergie will play him anyway. The Fletcher role is interesting because he's probably the best player we have to play the role but he's had a rubbish season. Made his comeback for the reserves last night and if he finds a bit of form between now and then I think he'll play.

I chose Giggs over Scholes because I think he's become a bit of a liability defensively and Barca will be too quick for him leading to him getting booked early on and being a passenger afterwards. He could play Anderson there either, but I'm not convinced he has that faith in him.

If he's feeling cocky he could play Rooney in the AM role with Hernandez up top on his own. He's done well there so far but I think he could get bullied out of it by Barcelonas defence.

Comment

Pretty hot IMO!!

Comment

I think Carrick will be a mistake but Fergie will play him anyway. The Fletcher role is interesting because he's probably the best player we have to play the role but he's had a rubbish season. Made his comeback for the reserves last night and if he finds a bit of form between now and then I think he'll play.

I chose Giggs over Scholes because I think he's become a bit of a liability defensively and Barca will be too quick for him leading to him getting booked early on and being a passenger afterwards. He could play Anderson there either, but I'm not convinced he has that faith in him.

If he's feeling cocky he could play Rooney in the AM role with Hernandez up top on his own. He's done well there so far but I think he could get bullied out of it by Barcelonas defence.
                                            Can you not see him putting Rooney left and Hernandez up top for the pace. Gives the option of mixing it up second half if needed with two up top and sticking height in for Hernandez in form of Berba.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hurricane View Post
                                              Mark Webster is a standout bet here against Terry Jenkins @ 2/1.

Jenkins, the treble killer, has cost me more money betting than anyone or anything alive but he loves to play the bigger names and is always the underdog. He's the favorite here and trays unusual for him.

Get the loots on Webby
                                              Lol at tipping Webster when hes been awful for the past 7 weeks, you fish.
                                              Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                              I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                              None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Screw this football lark anyway. Mark Williams is rolling back the years with an unbelievable performance today. Also, I saw Steve Davis walking through Sheffield on his way to the Winter Gardens yesterday.
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                                  Lol at tipping Webster when hes been awful for the past 7 weeks, you fish.
                                                  Ha, thats a crazy bet. Thanks for bumping that.

Comment

Can you not see him putting Rooney left and Hernandez up top for the pace. Gives the option of mixing it up second half if needed with two up top and sticking height in for Hernandez in form of Berba.
                                                    Possibly.

I don't see him not playing Park though, so potentially Park plays in a deeper role instead of Fletcher but I think if Fletcher comes through the next four weeks ok he's nearly a shoe-in for a starting spot.

Most likely scenario is playing Rooney instead of Giggs at AM and playing Hernandez up top if he wants that pace. Hernandez is better in the air than Berbatov, I don't see him coming on unless we're chasing a goal with say 20 minutes to go or we're 1 up with 15 minutes to go and he wants to try and slow the game down.

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                      Are united already in the final?
                                                      theres a second leg i thought
                                                      doubtful schalke can score 3 in old trafford but not impossible
                                                      Don't think any team has ever come back from being beaten 2-0 at home in the home leg in the knockout stages of the ECL. There is zero chance that a team with Schalke's quality will be the first.

AFAIK only two teams have ever come back from being beaten by a single goal at home.

The final is decided.

Comment

Possibly.

I don't see him not playing Park though, so potentially Park plays in a deeper role instead of Fletcher but I think if Fletcher comes through the next four weeks ok he's nearly a shoe-in for a starting spot.

Most likely scenario is playing Rooney instead of Giggs at AM and playing Hernandez up top if he wants that pace. Hernandez is better in the air than Berbatov, I don't see him coming on unless we're chasing a goal with say 20 minutes to go or we're 1 up with 15 minutes to go and he wants to try and slow the game down.
                                                        Think the team against Schalke the last day has to be the team to start the final, our best performances this season by a mile have come with Giggs/Carrick/Park/Rooney/Hernandez all playing together.

Comment

Interesting article by Graham Poll.

Jose Mourinho is the master of the mind games, even if they did not work against Barca. But he is not alone. I can give you an insight into the ways some players behave.
                                                          We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

FAO Hitchiker

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

assuming united make the final, I reckon it will probably come too soon for fletcher ... according to one of the papers this morning he's lost a stone in the 7 weeks he's been out with a virus

anderson could maybe stand to lose that much weight and still play, but fletch was like a rake even before illness, and like you say his form had been v poor this year.

I'd be very surprised if the team that started last time vs schalke isn't the team that starts a CL final (except maybe with rafael over fabio?)

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                Anyone can beat anyone on any given day ofc, and Utd will have close to home advantage. But they will be underdogs, .
                                                                Away more like it, we have a terrible record and have only scored twice from open play against Spurs, City, Villa and Everton. Both against Villa, move it to Villa park imo.
                                                                Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                                                                  Interesting article by Graham Poll.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...dark-arts.html
                                                                  Are ref's well paid? What kind of money would they be on relative to the players?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                    hhhhmmmmm I'm not sure I'll jsut be delighted if its better than the 2nd one. Looks kind of like Indepence Day scenario
                                                                    Whats wrong with Independence Day? The action sequences in the Transformer movies has been pretty good Michael Bay is awesome.
                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                      Away more like it, we have a terrible record and have only scored twice from open play against Spurs, City, Villa and Everton. Both against Villa, move it to Villa park imo.
                                                                      Charity Shield...

Comment

Charity Shield...
                                                                        They don't count.
                                                                        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                          Are ref's well paid? What kind of money would they be on relative to the players?
                                                                          Not 100% sure, but I think prem refs get a 35k salary and a £500 fee per match.

What surprised me about that article were the gifts recieved from clubs, being left run riot in a club shop is bizarre. I really thought that there'd be strict rules regarding this.
                                                                          Also surprising is the power some clubs seem to have regarding appointing officials.
                                                                          We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                            Whats wrong with Independence Day? The action sequences in the Transformer movies has been pretty good Michael Bay is awesome.
                                                                            When the action scenes aren't all blurry and noone knows what is going on!! Nought wrong with Independence day just the aircraft all over the city remind me of it

Comment

Fifa need to be ousted.
                                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by dannydiamond View Post
                                                                                Not 100% sure, but I think prem refs get a 35k salary and a £500 fee per match.

What surprised me about that article were the gifts recieved from clubs, being left run riot in a club shop is bizarre. I really thought that there'd be strict rules regarding this.
                                                                                Also surprising is the power some clubs seem to have regarding appointing officials.
                                                                                LOL or maybe more @ 35K and 500 a night expenses.
                                                                                OK I guess that explains an awful lot then. So we therefore assume that most big games are bent, yea?
                                                                                How could anyone be naive enough not to expect someone on that pittance to be taking a position on matches that will have 10's of millions of liquidity on Betfair alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sometime Happy Dude View Post
                                                                                  Fifa need to be ousted.
                                                                                  I'm bored. What will I do?

Comment

My god that frame Williams played is enough to make any opponent cry.

Comment

L
                                                                                      OK I guess that explains an awful lot then. So we therefore assume that most big games are bent, yea?
                                                                                      That's quite a leap, I'd imagine refereees assets are closely monitored at the top level and there's very little evidence of match fixing outside of Italy in the modern game, at least at the upper end. Though it does feel like that should be paid alot more to avoid any potential for corruption.

Comment

That's quite a leap, I'd imagine refereees assets are closely monitored at the top level and there's very little evidence of match fixing outside of Italy in the modern game, at least at the upper end. Though it does feel like that should be paid alot more to avoid any potential for corruption.
                                                                                        It doesn't matter how much they are paid. The promise of more money will always twist someones arm. There's plenty of players with very questionable tax schemes set up for them in order to play for certain clubs, where they could have made similar amounts without resorting to the dodgy behaviour.
                                                                                        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Think about it, its going to be trivial for them to organise something to earn mulitples their income if they were smart. More worrying is how susceptible they are to getting owned by criminal types. 300K minimum to keep them clean IMO.

Comment

LOL or maybe more @ 35K and 500 a night expenses.
                                                                                            How could anyone be naive enough not to expect someone on that pittance to be taking a position on matches that will have 10's of millions of liquidity on Betfair alone.

They do what, two matches a week at most? 35k for such a short amount of time is pretty good money. I know Twattenburg nearly got banned from refing for having dodgy finances outside of football so I'd say it would be very hard to get away with being a bent ref.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                              It doesn't matter how much they are paid. The promise of more money will always twist someones arm. There's plenty of players with very questionable tax schemes set up for them in order to play for certain clubs, where they could have made similar amounts without resorting to the dodgy behaviour.
                                                                                              I think with Ref's to an extent with the type of people you are dealing with and the background they have you are only going to find the odd bad egg. But on 35K and spending large parts of your professional career amongst people who earn that per game you are talking basic human nature and I'd be very shocked if there was even a significant minority completely clean. Very similar to Judges you overpay them to make it a poor choice for them to be bent.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                                They do what, two matches a week at most? 35k for such a short amount of time is pretty good money. I know Twattenburg nearly got banned from refing for having dodgy finances outside of football so I'd say it would be very hard to get away with being a bent ref.
                                                                                                Most would have jobs outside Football as well yea?

Comment

being a professional ref doesn't preclude them from having other jobs. Yes, they may be "professional" referees but they will still have a 9-5.
                                                                                                  300k will only mean a larger amount for the betting rings will have to bribe them with, and as you say that isn't an issue for them.

Comment

Very similar to Judges you overpay them to make it a poor choice for them to be bent.

Humans by nature are greedy, they will take extra money if it's offered to them and they can get away from it.

and judges aren't overpaid to keep them honest, they're paid what they are because it's been in the interest of governments to pay them alot.

Comment

Was only thinking about the refs the other day. Of the top european/world refs around I cannot think of any's name off the top of my head. This has to contribute to players acting up I think. Can you imagine the barca lads rushing Perliugi Collina, I can't. Seems the younger ones were rushed through when we lost a lot of the top guys quite quickly. Collina,Marcus Merk, Anders Frisk, roberto Rossetti, Lubos Michel, Kim Nielson, Urs Meier These guys were instantly recognised and respected.

They all at some point made tough and controversial decisions but the one thing I dont remember is them relenting to players abusing them or rushing them. Perhaps its a case of the game moving on to a worse standard of behavior but i think Fifa looking for the ref's to play less a less visible and important role in each game means their authority has been weakened. we constantly hear of a good ref is one you dont know is there. Thats bullshit imo as the guys I mentioned above were always recognisable and were the best of the best.

Makes me chuckle to think of all the barca lads rushing collina and him staring at them before telling them to gtfo. The level of knowledge that man had was immense. watched a half hour documentary about his prep for each game before. 99 iirc,pre juve united game. Gave in depth analysis of how giggs and del piero, both play left wing, del piero cuts inside, giggs goes outside, so chances are giggs will be fouled from behind making it easier for him to see the tackle where as ADP will be turning into his marker and will be between himself and the defender. Has video libraries and watches it all, gets to know them by name and their characteristics so he could tell when something was a foul, dive or just a collision.

Comment

Most would have jobs outside Football as well yea?

Most would, I know howard Webb is in the police force. Clattenburg had a falling out with a business partner and that's why he was suspended. With the fact most work weekends or evenings having a 9-5 job would be pretty easy as well. I'd say there financial records are checked very regularly as well. I don't know if the risk outweights the reward considering spending the money would even be tricky.

Comment

Stephen Hendry may have been the GOAT snooker player but my god he's one abysmal co-commentator.
                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

The Trinity Orchestra plays Daft Punk

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMlB894IBpQ&feature=related[/ame]

Comment

Dont like it. Also an orchestra with guitars, gtfo english students.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMlB8...eature=related
                                                                                                                That was AWFUL chadley.
                                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Tom Kitt's little brother in the navy cardigan beside the singer.

Comment

Could anyone tell me if traffic noise from the nearby M50 would be a problem on Harold's Grange Road in Rathfarnham? I'm just wondering about the asking price for these properties:

Find Property For Sale in Ireland from all leading estate agents on the largest property listing site in Ireland.

I'm not actively looking at all, but seems to be reasonably priced compared to current asking prices in the general area (personally think these might be a bargain if you could get them at €250K, though then again I might be way off!) and I imagine they'll sell pretty quickly around asking unless there is something wrong with them that I can't see.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface ste View Post
                                                                                                                      When the action scenes aren't all blurry and noone knows what is going on!! Nought wrong with Independence day just the aircraft all over the city remind me of it
                                                                                                                      Thats the thing he likes to keep the viewers on their toes with his action sequences
                                                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                        Could anyone tell me if traffic noise from the nearby M50 would be a problem on Harold's Grange Road in Rathfarnham? I'm just wondering about the asking price for these properties:

Find Property For Sale in Ireland from all leading estate agents on the largest property listing site in Ireland.

I'm not actively looking at all, but seems to be reasonably priced compared to current asking prices in the general area (personally think these might be a bargain if you could get them at €250K, though then again I might be way off!) and I imagine they'll sell pretty quickly around asking unless there is something wrong with them that I can't see.
                                                                                                                        wow they are fab!!!
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

I hate donks, they are the bane of my existence. I've been donked out with AA or QQ so many times in the past few days its mind boggling.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X